4.0 out of 5 stars Good value but Not built-in wifi
We finally decided to move into the 21st Century and got rid of our CRT TV.

I was undecided as to the need for 'SMART' or not. This was available on a lightning deal and I made the purchase.

SET UP

Setting up the stand was simple (need a philips screwdriver). The TV is nice and light.

One of the things I struggled with was the...
Published 17 months ago by Peter R

3.0 out of 5 stars Goods vs. Bads
The GOOD things about this Smart TV: Great price, Fast delivery, Happy with the HD picture quality and non HD freeview channels looks great as well. Happy to have Youtube on my TV it expands the content to watch and its brilliant, app is very easy to use using ALL smartphones! Satisfying speaker sound, Beautiful screen design, easy to clean, Lightweight, Slim.
The...
Published 16 months ago by chades

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value but Not built-in wifi, 26 Dec. 2013
Peter R (Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Samsung UE39F5300AKXXU 39-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p Slim LED TV (100Hz CMR, SMART, Dual-Core, Wi-Fi (Dongle required)) (Electronics)
We finally decided to move into the 21st Century and got rid of our CRT TV.

SET UP

One of the things I struggled with was the 'universal remote' i.e. trying to connect the Samsung remote to work with my Sky Box. After much try, i finally saw something on a forum that you need to put the IR-receiver near the Sky box. once I did that it recognised the device. However, there are still limitations i.e. you can't bring up the Sky planner with the Samsung remote, so you do still need your Sky remote. What you can do, however, is scroll through the channels (while watching one) to see what else is on. Or you can switch to another channel if you know what that channel number is.

It also took me a while to figure out that you can switch off the 'SMART Hub' being the default starting point for the TV when you switch it on. I think for those who don't have Sky etc they would probably find the SMART Hub useful as it shows what's on and you can see what is on next and you can choose which channels you want it to show etc. (Go to 'Menu>Smart Features>On TV Settings>Auto start' and switch it 'off')

SMART

The product description says that this is built-in wifi, which isn't true. It is why Samsung were giving one of their dongles away for free with this TV. i.e.a SMART tv is only smart if it can connect to the internet, so to make a SMART tv with no wifi is officially a waste of everyones time.

Plugging in the dongle obviously means that now one of the two USB ports on the back are permanently taken up. This won't be a huge issue for most people, but it's worth being aware of.

During set up, it searches for available networks and once you've typed in your password, it connects you automatically.

Incidentally, typing with the remote is not too bad. You use the arrow key and 'select' button to choose your letter. One of the clever things is that selecting a letter brings up a 4 options for next letters based on predictive. i.e. if you select the letter 't' you might get y as one of the options. This helps speed up the process of typing a particularly word.

Howeve,r I feel that they missed a trick with not putting the letters on the numbers keypad like the non-smart mobile phones have. People would be used to this process and it would actually work out quicker.

Again, for most of us, we aren't really going to make a decision simply based on the input options!

In regards to the SMART, we don't get the full benefit of it because we have Sky and with Sky the best features of this TV won't be used i.e. 'recommendation', the ability to quickly see what other programs are on Freeview and so on.

Of course, the SMART aspect is a little bit dubious - it essentially makes your TV a little bit like your computer or smart phone i.e has apps. Most people will just watch TV on a TV, though the option for downloading Deezer and Facebook are there. I'm not entirely convinced.

I think the best aspect of the SMART TV, and the reason I kept this and didn't return it for a non-SMART TV is the ability to play YouTUbe videos on big screen. With YOuTUbe pairing, you can do all the searching on your smart phone and then simply play the video on your TV. No more huddling round a smart phone to show your friends the MOST HILARIOUS clip ever!

Other than that, I think I will use the SMART aspect of the TV about never. But that might just be me.

SAMSUNG LINK

I have a Samsung Smart phone so i was attracted to a Samsung Smart TV thinking there would be great synchronisation. However, there isn't anything special for a samsung phone. You simply download Samsung Link on your android or iPhone and this allows you the option of showing your videos or photos on the big screen so long as both phone and TV are connected to the same wifi network.

Because it uses a wifi network, it isn't instantaneous replication i.e. the image needs to 'load' on your tv which can be quite slow and take a wee while. However, for showing photos to your great aunt or a whole bunch of people it's great.

CONTENT

The other benefit of this TV is being able to connect it to a Network Based Storage device. I use 'MyBookLive' on which I have stored a large number of photos, downloaded videos and music. After a little bit of faffing (i used a twonky app on android which somehow managed to make the connection), i can now access the photos, videos and music on my NBS. Of course, the limitation re music is that it isn't so easy to create playlists on the NBS.
However, the benefit of this is that it is a really great way of showing off your photos from your holiday to Jamaica - they're stored on your NBS and voila - shown in glorious detail on your TV for the whole family to be truly jealous.

PICTURE

The picture is obviously far improved from my CRT TV, and thankfully I waited all these years to get a flat screen tv as I remember the early ones, even from 2 or 3 years ago had so much pixelation.

This is a crisp and smooth picture. You have 4 different picture modes - Dynamic (which will adjust the picture depending on how brightly or dimly the room is lit), Standard, Movie and Natural. Of course, there are fine-tuning options for all.

HD is definitely a revelation and is absolutely beautiful. So much so I chose to pay the additional from Sky just to enjoy it!

A 39 inch SMART TV for less than £400 with so beautiful picture and features - fantastic indeed!

Hope that helps

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung 39" TV, 29 Aug. 2013
Mr. A. E. Lister (UK) - See all my reviews
Very pleased with the fast delivery from Amazon!
Although my old tele was a 36" the new one doesn't look much bigger due to the screen almost filling the front of the set.
The picture quality is excellent, and there are a lot of interesting apps. I am also very pleased that I can view my photographs on such a large screen via a memory stick plugged into the USB socket. Great product!

3.0 out of 5 stars Goods vs. Bads, 31 Dec. 2013
The BAD Things: the Samsung smart hub. The apps selection is very poor! The games you can download from the samsung apps store is so basic that it reminds me of my old ATARI :/ Which was nice back in the days.. The remote control is very slow when it comes to browsing the web and you better have a Samsung Smartphone in order to enjoy browsing. The web browser looks very poor and sometimes will automatically change your search engine from google to bing (which I don't like using it at all). In order to use your home WiFi you'll need to buy a special USB device which will cost you around the 25£ and if you would like to use the Skype application on this Smart TV you'd need to add 60£ to the total price, because the Skype won't work otherwise (which is ridiculously expensive). Bare in mind that if you would like to use the Ustream App you will face some issues (In the last 9 months it just fails to load the streams), No sockets to DVI or RGB cables. HDMI 2 - Socket seems to show only HD Ready resolution 720p on my screen. Im sure theres plenty more goods and bads but thats what I reckon after almost a year using the Samsung Smart TV UE39F5300AKXXU

5.0 out of 5 stars Great picture and sound, 29 Jun. 2013
This is a very good TV. Easy to set up and connect to the network. I am very pleased that I have bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible value for money!, 7 Oct. 2014
Tim Fernau (Norwich) - See all my reviews
Incredible value for money!

I am astounded at how good this TV is for the money. It is packed with 'smart' features and these are all accessed from a simple and intuitive menu system.

The sound is surprisingly good for such a thin panel and it fills my 3m x 5m Garden Room with ease. The only negative, and this is common with all LCDs at the cheaper end of the scale, is that non HD Tv signals can be a little poor. Not enough to stop you watching but there is a significant difference if you can switch to HD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 5 July 2014
Great tv, looks great and my non tech savy wife can use it with ease

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 July 2014
H. Levitt "Lev" (Glos, England) - See all my reviews
Great picture - love the catch up

5.0 out of 5 stars good TV, 5 Jun. 2014
Dean Goodwin - See all my reviews
Its been great for mounting on the chimney brest as it is light. The room is in full sun most of the day and we can still see the screen clearly so its bright. the smart feature so i can play you tube clips of funny animals to amuse the visiting relatives, using my Samsung phone as the remote i must add. Use it with the Xbox and as a second screen with the family PC so we aren't all crammed around the computer trying to see what on the screen, they just sit at the dining room table.

5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding tv, 26 May 2014
This TV had no inbuilt wifi but I connected this via lan. I bought the wi fi dongle thinking this would allow my smart phone to mirror its screen, this was not the case and the dongle was returned. I therefore bought the allshare cast dongle from samsung. All other features work excellently. A super tv and picture with excellent smart features.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart Enough TV, 13 May 2014
I bought the Samsung UE39F5300AKXXU because it looks good, is a reasonable price and fulfils my requirements for a semi-smart TV. I have not been disappointed.
The TV arrived rapidly after purchase - it was complete and in good condition (no issues with delivery). The instructions were adequate and the set was simple to set up . I configured the TV with a Sky Freesat box, plus an LG HD recorder box and an Apple Wifi box - all worked first time through the three HDMI ports.
I am pleased with the TV in use.