4.0 out of 5 stars Good value but Not built-in wifi
We finally decided to move into the 21st Century and got rid of our CRT TV.

I was undecided as to the need for 'SMART' or not. This was available on a lightning deal and I made the purchase.

SET UP

Setting up the stand was simple (need a philips screwdriver). The TV is nice and light.

One of the things I struggled with was the...
Published 7 months ago by Peter R

3.0 out of 5 stars Goods vs. Bads
The GOOD things about this Smart TV: Great price, Fast delivery, Happy with the HD picture quality and non HD freeview channels looks great as well. Happy to have Youtube on my TV it expands the content to watch and its brilliant, app is very easy to use using ALL smartphones! Satisfying speaker sound, Beautiful screen design, easy to clean, Lightweight, Slim.
The...
Published 7 months ago by chades

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value but Not built-in wifi, 26 Dec 2013
Peter R (Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
We finally decided to move into the 21st Century and got rid of our CRT TV.

SET UP

One of the things I struggled with was the 'universal remote' i.e. trying to connect the Samsung remote to work with my Sky Box. After much try, i finally saw something on a forum that you need to put the IR-receiver near the Sky box. once I did that it recognised the device. However, there are still limitations i.e. you can't bring up the Sky planner with the Samsung remote, so you do still need your Sky remote. What you can do, however, is scroll through the channels (while watching one) to see what else is on. Or you can switch to another channel if you know what that channel number is.

It also took me a while to figure out that you can switch off the 'SMART Hub' being the default starting point for the TV when you switch it on. I think for those who don't have Sky etc they would probably find the SMART Hub useful as it shows what's on and you can see what is on next and you can choose which channels you want it to show etc. (Go to 'Menu>Smart Features>On TV Settings>Auto start' and switch it 'off')

SMART

The product description says that this is built-in wifi, which isn't true. It is why Samsung were giving one of their dongles away for free with this TV. i.e.a SMART tv is only smart if it can connect to the internet, so to make a SMART tv with no wifi is officially a waste of everyones time.

Plugging in the dongle obviously means that now one of the two USB ports on the back are permanently taken up. This won't be a huge issue for most people, but it's worth being aware of.

During set up, it searches for available networks and once you've typed in your password, it connects you automatically.

Incidentally, typing with the remote is not too bad. You use the arrow key and 'select' button to choose your letter. One of the clever things is that selecting a letter brings up a 4 options for next letters based on predictive. i.e. if you select the letter 't' you might get y as one of the options. This helps speed up the process of typing a particularly word.

Howeve,r I feel that they missed a trick with not putting the letters on the numbers keypad like the non-smart mobile phones have. People would be used to this process and it would actually work out quicker.

Again, for most of us, we aren't really going to make a decision simply based on the input options!

In regards to the SMART, we don't get the full benefit of it because we have Sky and with Sky the best features of this TV won't be used i.e. 'recommendation', the ability to quickly see what other programs are on Freeview and so on.

Of course, the SMART aspect is a little bit dubious - it essentially makes your TV a little bit like your computer or smart phone i.e has apps. Most people will just watch TV on a TV, though the option for downloading Deezer and Facebook are there. I'm not entirely convinced.

I think the best aspect of the SMART TV, and the reason I kept this and didn't return it for a non-SMART TV is the ability to play YouTUbe videos on big screen. With YOuTUbe pairing, you can do all the searching on your smart phone and then simply play the video on your TV. No more huddling round a smart phone to show your friends the MOST HILARIOUS clip ever!

Other than that, I think I will use the SMART aspect of the TV about never. But that might just be me.

SAMSUNG LINK

I have a Samsung Smart phone so i was attracted to a Samsung Smart TV thinking there would be great synchronisation. However, there isn't anything special for a samsung phone. You simply download Samsung Link on your android or iPhone and this allows you the option of showing your videos or photos on the big screen so long as both phone and TV are connected to the same wifi network.

Because it uses a wifi network, it isn't instantaneous replication i.e. the image needs to 'load' on your tv which can be quite slow and take a wee while. However, for showing photos to your great aunt or a whole bunch of people it's great.

CONTENT

The other benefit of this TV is being able to connect it to a Network Based Storage device. I use 'MyBookLive' on which I have stored a large number of photos, downloaded videos and music. After a little bit of faffing (i used a twonky app on android which somehow managed to make the connection), i can now access the photos, videos and music on my NBS. Of course, the limitation re music is that it isn't so easy to create playlists on the NBS.
However, the benefit of this is that it is a really great way of showing off your photos from your holiday to Jamaica - they're stored on your NBS and voila - shown in glorious detail on your TV for the whole family to be truly jealous.

PICTURE

The picture is obviously far improved from my CRT TV, and thankfully I waited all these years to get a flat screen tv as I remember the early ones, even from 2 or 3 years ago had so much pixelation.

This is a crisp and smooth picture. You have 4 different picture modes - Dynamic (which will adjust the picture depending on how brightly or dimly the room is lit), Standard, Movie and Natural. Of course, there are fine-tuning options for all.

HD is definitely a revelation and is absolutely beautiful. So much so I chose to pay the additional from Sky just to enjoy it!

A 39 inch SMART TV for less than 400 with so beautiful picture and features - fantastic indeed!

Hope that helps

5.0 out of 5 stars 46" Samsung Smart TV. Its got LOVEFiLM, Netflix and more, 4 Jan 2014
This review is from: Samsung UE46F5300AKXXU 46-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p Slim LED TV (100Hz CMR, SMART, Dual-Core, Wi-Fi (Dongle required)) (2013 model) (Electronics)
We needed to up grade a 32" HD ready TV from a number of years ago and trying to decipher all the new tech was a little difficult but I really wanted to get LOVEFiLM to stream onto the TV as it wont work via an Android app at the moment.

I decided on this Samsung after going to see it in a supermarket (as I had gift cards and Clubcard vouchers to use). Price was 549.

It had the spec I wanted the Full HD, it has Ethernet cable to plug into my Virgin super hub ( or you can use a WiFi dongle sold separately), a good choice of catch up TV and Streaming apps, one of the few devices to get both LOVEFiLM and Netflix also Blink Box. For catch up TV it has BBC iplayer, ITV Player, Demand 5, 4oD, STV Player, it seems very comprehensive even though I haven't tried it all what I have seems to work well, not super fast but very usable. will try to add a link for the apps [...]

The TV itself is sleek and looks good, ts pretty sturdy, the remote is fine and easy enough to figure out, the remote has limited capasity to control the Virgin box if the sensory provided is in front of it but it can't operate 2 devices. The picture is pretty good and a good range of picture modes and settings to get something your eyes will like, sound is pretty good too. HD is beautiful and it has sports mode, where the TV struggles slightly is with SD cartoons that are heavy on cgi, it can look a bit soft focus or some shows a little pixelated but the kids seem very happy with it anyway. Over all we are all delighted with the TV and blu rays look great on it too, I would say this is worth a look for the features and if you don't fancy 3D.

4.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely love this TV, 1 Aug 2013
I was a bit worried because of a few mixed reviews but when I looked closely at them people were comparing it to sets that cost much more which seems a little unfair..
Set up was a doddle - even upgraded firmware as part of the process. The picture quality is far better than my previous Panasonic plasma TV and the sound quality the best I have heard on a TV (without external speakers). Some people have criticised the plastic which I see as a positive advantage - it is light enough for me to lift it into place single handed unlike my smaller Panasonic which really needed two people. Although light it looks and feels quite durable. As well as all the apps, catch up TV etc it also plays anything off my PC, phone or tablet - so far no matter what the file type. Start up is just a few seconds. My only criticism is that the manual is written for a range of TVs with things like "this may not be available on all models" scattered through it. I deplore this kind shortcut approach which I am sure is aimed more at making you want to upgrade to a better one.

The manual is downloadable in PDF or viewable on screen so there are no printing costs for Samsung and they really ought to edit a manual specific for each Television. It also comes with a (perfectly servicable) standard type handset rather than their new LCD swipe pad one - it did quote the handset model on the website but only by number without a description.

However the BIGGEST bonus for me was going in and seeing today's price is 549 - I got mine three days ago from Amazon when it was reduced to 469!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant TV, 11 May 2014
H. Bright (UK) - See all my reviews
Bought this in January, and have found it to be a great TV. Didn't want 3D (I have an issue with one eye, so can't see 3D through glasses etc so there was no point), and have been very impressed with this set. Picture quality is very good, and the sound quality surprised me as being quite well rounded. Smart features are fine, though the only apps I really use are Netflix and Lovefilm (although since Amazon mucked about with the old, reliable Lovefilm app to become 'Amazon Instant', it's far less reliable). Connectivity can't be complained about; two USB ports on the back are fine for external drives, and the network port is helpful; it can see my home server and play videos straight from it, which surprised me. Is this the most feature packed set available? No, but it's good value, and I'm very happy with it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Goods vs. Bads, 31 Dec 2013
The BAD Things: the Samsung smart hub. The apps selection is very poor! The games you can download from the samsung apps store is so basic that it reminds me of my old ATARI :/ Which was nice back in the days.. The remote control is very slow when it comes to browsing the web and you better have a Samsung Smartphone in order to enjoy browsing. The web browser looks very poor and sometimes will automatically change your search engine from google to bing (which I don't like using it at all). In order to use your home WiFi you'll need to buy a special USB device which will cost you around the 25 and if you would like to use the Skype application on this Smart TV you'd need to add 60 to the total price, because the Skype won't work otherwise (which is ridiculously expensive). Bare in mind that if you would like to use the Ustream App you will face some issues (In the last 9 months it just fails to load the streams), No sockets to DVI or RGB cables. HDMI 2 - Socket seems to show only HD Ready resolution 720p on my screen. Im sure theres plenty more goods and bads but thats what I reckon after almost a year using the Samsung Smart TV UE39F5300AKXXU

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic value for money, 28 Jan 2014
I've only had the Samsung F5300 46" for a week or so, so I'm still learning it's capabilities, so please take this review as a "first impression". I bought it to replace a 5 year old LG 42PC56 Plasma 42".

Positives to report:
So far, I'm delighted. It's physical dimensions are very compact, the 46" Samsung is smaller than my old 42" LG. The initial setup was very straightforward. The picture clarity is extraordinary on all HD content. The "SMART" functions are intuitive and easy to navigate. It quickly located the PC on my wired home network, to stream media content from within my "Public Folders". I like being able to customise TV station numbers so that I was able to put BBC 1 HD onto button 1, BBC 2 HD onto button 2, etc... The Samsung Apps give you access to all the popular content like: Internet Browser, Google, You Tube, Net Flix, Twitter, Facebook and many more. You have the option to add a keyboard and mouse if you want to make browsing the internet easier. My Blu-Ray discs have never looked better! The blacks are pure black without any "noise flecks" and the picture sharpness and quality of detail just blew me away! My Blu-Ray of Terminator Salvation was a revelation...

I am struggling to find anything negative to report:
(1) I'm a little underwhelmed by the picture quality of Standard Definition (SD) content. I was hoping that it would upscale the SD picture to improve on what I was getting from my old LG. I can't really tell the difference between the two TVs in that respect. I suppose the larger 46" screen on the Samsung makes the lack of quality on SD content more noticeable. The best way to view older 4:3 SD content is to configure the picture size at 16:9 with black bars at the edges. Don't try to expand the picture to widescreen as the distortion becomes a lot more noticeable.
(2) Fitting only three HDMI ports is a little mean from Samsung. Most of the "best of the rest" feature four or more. I had to use a four-way adaptor to fit some of my external devices.
(3) Setting up an external USB-HDD to record shows and "time-shift" TV programmes was difficult. In the instructions it said to attach the HDD to the USB port with "HDD" written on it. Apparently, the other port with "Camera" on it was not suitable for recording. I even e-mailed Samsung Customer Support to clarify which port to use. The TV refused to recognise all the external HDDs that I fitted to the USB port marked "HDD". Eventually, I decided to try the "Camera" port and guess what? Yes, the TV found the attached drive and offered to test the digital transfer speed and format the drive to configure it for use. After that, I was able to move the USB cable to the "HDD" port and it was correctly identified by the TV. How weird was that?
(4) Sound quality is ok but not great. However, this is normal for all flat screen TVs so I suppose it can't be called a fault as such. I just think that manufacturers of flat screen TVs don't bother improving the audio as they know the consumer will accept poor sound. They expect us to spend even more money on a separate sound system, like a sound bar or perhaps full surround sound. This just increases the income for the manufacturers so why should they care? (I use both a Yamaha sound bar and a Bose surround sound system depending on what I'm watching)

These few negatives are very minor compared to the many, many positive features offered by this TV and are not significant enough to prevent me awarding it five stars. If you are looking for brilliant HD picture quality and good "SMART" features you will be safe with the Samsung UE46F5300 TV. At this price point it's very hard to beat...

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung 39" TV, 29 Aug 2013
Mr. A. E. Lister (UK) - See all my reviews
Very pleased with the fast delivery from Amazon!
Although my old tele was a 36" the new one doesn't look much bigger due to the screen almost filling the front of the set.
The picture quality is excellent, and there are a lot of interesting apps. I am also very pleased that I can view my photographs on such a large screen via a memory stick plugged into the USB socket. Great product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great picture and sound, 29 Jun 2013
This is a very good TV. Easy to set up and connect to the network. I am very pleased that I have bought it.

4.0 out of 5 stars great tv, 6 May 2014
this tv is what i expected from it can not fault it in anyway shape or form easy to set up n use

4.0 out of 5 stars Great TV, 28 April 2014
After a lot of research into Smart TV's I finally opted for this set, mainly due to the complete set of Catch up players available in the UK. It's absolutely great, a doddle to set up, first rate picture, good wifi (with Samsung's own dongle). The one thing that stops it being five star is, along with all super light and thin TV's is the sound quality. It actually needs to have a sound bar or box to make it acceptable

I really do need to praise Amazon delivery for this product as well, it came within 5 minutes of the predicted time. Excellent!