5.0 out of 5 stars Assassins creed black flag
Published 11 months ago by David Clixby

3.0 out of 5 stars good game, but flawed
I must admit, I'm not a big fan of the Assassin's Creed franchise.
I decided to give AC IV a go on PS4, basically because I want to play some games on that machine.
The game has some good atmosphere and looks good. The story isn't what will keep you playing. Exploring the ocean and discovering islands is what keeps you entertained. What bothers me most is the...
Published 9 months ago by Tommy_99

5.0 out of 5 stars Assassins creed black flag, 15 Jan 2014
David Clixby (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag (PS4) (Video Game)
As a fan of the assassins creed games , I have bought every one in the series I was really looking forward to this one being a pirate game as I thought the naval combat was the best part in the last one and was the only thing that kept me playing as I thought it was the worst in the series so far. I bought this on the PS3 as I didn't think I was going to get a PS4 until the middle of next year and wanted to play the game. I completed the game and thought it was brilliant, the graphics and gameplay were top notch and with a big open caribbean to explore it took me around 40 hours to complete it doing a lot of the side missions and exploring. Well I have now got a PS4 and decided to sell my old copy and get it on the PS4 as there is a shortage of quality games out at the moment and wanted to see how the PS4 version of the game was as I have seen it looks and plays a whole lot better. I know you can upgrade it from PS3 but I don't have unlimited broadband and it would take up quite a bit of my allowance. Anyway the game looks fantastic on the PS4 as you would expect and I thought the PS3 version looked great. It plays a whole lot better and everything is so much smoother and fluid. Bushes now move around as you hide and walk through them. All the little things that make the game better. Everything in the game looks sharp and crisp compared to the PS3 version. I have bought some headphones and the sound through them is amazing too . From the sound of the cannons during naval battles to the sound of the birds and wildlife on the islands it really brings the game to life. It's like playing another game compared to the one I had finished. This for me is easily the best in the series and if you have a PS4 then you should get this game as it will keep you busy for weeks never gets boring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game, 10 Jan 2014
Mr. J. Fowler (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag (PS4) (Video Game)
Excellent sound and graphics. The upgrade system means you will spend hours playing the game in order to upgrade and when you do its very satisfying.

Still think the animus concept it rubbish, why can't you just be a pirate rather then someone in the future living a pirates memories. Anyway still a great game

4.0 out of 5 stars Back to the good times., 3 Dec 2013
This review is from: Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag (PS4) (Video Game)
My first PS4 game. Being a fan since the very first game I have seen this series grow and get better. There have been a few low points (AC3) but all in all a great franchise.

The game looks great. I was even impressed with the main menu and straight away knew the soundtrack was going to be epic. So far I am really happy with this game and very impressed indeed. This is easily the best one yet. The graphics are top notch and so far the story is great. Its a massive open world sand box and once you get your ship, you can go pretty much any where. On land the islands look stunning and full of life, not just the animals but the foliage too. The bushes you can hide in a very detailed and on a whole is a true improvement in every way. Character models are great and move well, expressions look lifelike. On the sea; my my! fantastic! This is what I really love about the game. The weather is great and in storms is just a joy to sail making sure to hit the large wave right to come crashing down safly on the other side. The battles are great to and the ship combat has been massively improved fron the 3rd where it just seemed like it was chucked in at the last minute. Here you can tell it's as big of a part of the game as the land based game play. I guess it makes sense seen as the main player is a pirate.

Now you notice that I only gave 4 stars. This is very harsh but there is one thing I was hoping they would have sorted for the new game and that's the annoying free running mechanics. Edward wants to climb everything close by when pulling the run trigger. This can get really frustrating when you are trying to catch something/someone and you end up climbing up the wrong thing. Even worse when in combat as you try to get away and climb onto a rail or tree instead of jumping over only to get killed. It makes me very cross.

I can live with that though and would only really take half a star off if I could. I've lived with it since the first and it hasn't stopped me being a fan.

I say get it for some great pirate fun. There is tonnes and tonnes to do and it's a load of fun.

**UPDATE**

One thing I forgot to mention was the app you can get for the game on your phone. A really nice companion app. If you have the game get this app for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of rum!, 25 Oct 2014
Assassin's Creed IV is a misleading title, as of the time of this review there have in fact been 6 games on consoles and I believe 3 on handheld systems, one of which was ported to consoles. So keeping things fresh in a series which sprawls out to that many games yet keeping close to it's assassin roots must be rather difficult. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag not only succeeds at that, it excels above previous entries making it the best game since Assassin's Creed II.

For those not familiar with the series I imagine getting into it at this point would be rather difficult to try and understand what is fully going on, and the developer Ubisoft does very little to catch people up on the story. To sum up there has been an underground war going on beneath society between two factions, the Assassins who believe in freedom and the Templars who believe in order and control. Both sides are fighting for what they believe is in the benefit for hummanity. Perspective I guess.

In the game world there is a machine in current times called the animus which allows people to see through the eyes of their ancestors throughout different periods of history, giving the chance in each game to play different assassin's and interact with famous people through time, some portrayed as good like Leonardo Divinchi, some bad such as Cesare Borgia.

Assassin's Creed IV is set in the early 18th century in the Carribean during the golden age of pirates. You play the role of a pirate named Edward Kenway, a down on his luck Welshman who wants to make his fortune and stumbles onto the Assassin/Templar war by accident. Caring little for either side it takes a while before he decides that either cause is really worth fighting for.

I'm going to say two things that contradict the score I've given this game right now, Edward is pretty unlikable and the story is fairly uninteresting with a few plotholes (Edward has assassin skills with no training at any point) but neither of these things get in the way of just how fun the gameplay is.

This is a game of two halves, land and sea. When exploring the Caribbean islands on foot it's a pretty standard Assassin's Creed game. Edward is extremely agile able to climb buildings in a parkour fashion, swim, hide as well as use a variety of weapons in combat which although usually comes down to a mainly counter attack affair has some brutal moves that really look great for finishing off enemies.

On the water though is where the real fun comes in, where the assassin ends, and the pirate begins. Edward commands his own ship the Jackdaw which can be upgraded with more cannons, a better ram, better hull plating etc. With the Jackdaw you can do pretty much anything you want, attack and sink ships in huge broadsides, board vessels by swinging in on ropes and taking their cargo or even adding that ship to your pirate fleet, attack forts, go harpooning for whales or even look for sunken treasure using a diving bell. There is just a lot to do and nearly all of it fun.

As a cross gen game Assassin's Creed IV also looks surprisingly great on the PS4, the water effects are especially gorgeous with reflections, the rolling of the waves and storms. The voice acting is also of an extremely high quality as is the music. Interestingly enough when sailing you can get your crew to sing actual sea shanties of the period should you wish, many of which are actually excellent.

To sum up Black Flag is a great game with tons to do and collect. The seafaring is especially brilliant making this the best pirate game you'll play even if it's actually a science fiction game about assassins.

+ Amazing seafaring gameplay.
+ looks gorgeous.
+ Great voice acting and music.
+ Tons of things to do and collect.

- Edward and the story are a little naff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Here be treasure!, 20 Jun 2014
Chris White (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag (PS4) (Video Game)
The sixth game in the solid-but-slightly-stale Assassin's Creed franchise represents a definite return to form. All the familiar elements are present but the ocean-going dynamic and a lighter tone allow it to chart fresh new territory. For this one, Ubisoft has thrown so much at it that you're never at a loss for something to do. My completion is now at 100% - after over 100 hours of gameplay that took longer than three months. I call that superb value for money.

Admittedly it takes several story missions for Edward Kenway (father of AC III's Haytham) to find his sea legs but once he acquires his trusty ship, the Jackdaw, he has a vast open world to explore. In these sandbox-type games, I'm more drawn to the side missions and collectibles as they offer a lot more variation than the main narrative. If Black Flag falls down anywhere, it's with the seen-it-all-before-just-get-on-with-it type stuff: tailing, eavesdropping and instant failure upon detection. Fortunately, such moments aren't that frequent in the grand scheme of things (but there are one or two that'll drive you to distraction before you get them right). The 100% synch 'optional objective' has now become part of the furniture and although I detest having limitations on how I play the game, I will concede that they do add an extra layer of challenge. Let's face it, they're hardly 'optional' if you want to complete the experience.

The Jackdaw is almost a secondary character and you'll need to upgrade her as much as possible to take on bigger ships and forts later in the game. There are some 50 islands to explore, three major locations, underwater wrecks, four Legendary Ships (of which at least a couple are insanely difficult), hunting and harpooning, as well as numerous assassination and naval missions. In addition to the usual 'quest' components (synchronising viewpoints, collecting treasure chests, animus fragments, etc.) there are also 22 buried chests, a map being needed for each. If, after having done all this, you're hungry for more, then visit the AC Initiates website for extra challenges.

This was my first PS4 game and the graphics look absolutely gorgeous, particularly the Pixar-style shimmering oceans and lagoons. Sometimes, having synchronised a viewpoint, you just want to do a 360-degree pan to take it all in. There's a lot of attention to historical detail and the mostly British cast lend authentic accents and performance capture to the principal characters.

By taking note of what makes AC tick and keeping the annoyances to a minimum, Ubisoft has produced an exceptionally enjoyable game and given the series the shot in the arm it needed. Also, by inviting players to rate each mission upon completion, it's clear that their opinions are taken seriously and this bodes well for the forthcoming, French Revolution-set Assassin's Creed: Unity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a massive improvement over AC3, 10 May 2014
E. Clarke "Ed Clarke" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag (PS4) (Video Game)
The latest instalment in the Assassins Creed franchise appears to be splitting opinion. Some people love the pirating direction the series appears to have taken, others appear to rue the gradual watering down of the primary role of the Assassin.

In a game titled Assassin's Creed, they have a point. But there's no denying that on the evidence of AC3, the game and its themes were growing stale.

Connor was a dreadful character; in my opinion largely down to appalling voice acting, and the game as a whole was frankly not a lot of fun to play. Far too many annoying optional objectives in every single mission made progression a chore - sure, you can argue that as these were optional, there was no requirement to fulfill them. But nobody wants to feel punished with a big red cross on their screen just because they didn't play the memory in the ridiculous linear fashion some dim developer devised.

Don't get me wrong - optional objectives are still around in Black Flag - but nowhere near as many as there were in AC3, where you would have a minimum of 3 per mission, all of which had to be completed in one exceedingly dull playthrough. The ones in Black Flag are much more in line with a gamer's approach to the mission; they're not outlandish and petty, and if you choose not to complete them, or fail them, you are not told off for doing so by having a big red cross flashed in your face. The objective simply disappears from the menu and you can forget about it if you so wish.

With that as a prime example, in Black Flag, Ubisoft have corrected the fundamental flaws of AC3 and built on one of the few redeeming aspects of its predecessor: the naval battles.

Now I'll be honest. I didn't particularly enjoy the naval battles in AC3. Again, optional objectives. My memories of playing those missions aboard the Aquila are tainted by recollections of repeatedly playing a certain privateer mission in a pathetic attempt to meet the absurd requirements to reach 100% sync.

The thing with Black Flag's naval combat is, it is quite simply just fun. I have spent many hours simply roaming around on the open seas engaging ships in battle, all ultimately with an aim to stock up on valuable materials to improve my ship, but never feeling I was grinding whilst doing so. The Jackdaw's controls are vastly improved over AC3's comparatively clunky and unresponsive Aquila, making the whole experience far less frustrating and allowing greater freedom of choice as to how you engage your opponents at sea.

For all that battling ships is a major part of the game, there are still considerable hours devoted to land-based play. Your classic AC missions are all here - albeit with a few too many "follow him", "eavesdrop on them" missions for this reviewer's patience - and there are a small number of pure platforming/free running sections for the traditionalists. Whilst the latter is lacking, and the absence of any puzzles is sure to disappoint fans of the wonderful tomb sections of previous instalments, it didn't detract too much from my enjoyment of the game.

There are still faults, of course. The stealth mechanics are so simplistic and the AI equally so, that it does become a source of amusement as you progress. It's far too easy to sit in thin shrubbery, in plain sight of anyone within half a mile, and get away with murder (literally), whilst a guard stares directly at you and his swiftly falling comrade without batting an eyelid. Guards respond to whistles with an almost adorable childish inquisition; and once you realise how incredibly gullible they are, you will rarely use any other means of distraction to lure guards to their inevitable death.

With the Desmond storyline dead and buried (at long last), the "present day" sequences of the game see you play the role of a faceless employee at the Abstergo Entertainments offices, in a permanent state of first-person view. Now, emulating an office job in a video game probably doesn't fill you with excitement, and I sometimes felt the game could have existed quite happily without any present day activities at all, but there's lots of self-referencing humour and easter eggs lying around in these sequences to keep you engaged

One of the main plus points about Black Flag is the sheer size of it. There is around 80 hours of gameplay available here if you so wish to take advantage of it. Scores of islands, harbours, jungles, underwater shipwrecks, whaling opportunities, and of course a handful of towns and cities, complete with tall buildings to scale and rooftops to hop across. This has never really got old for me and in a way, I wish there were more of these bustling hives of activity, instead of the dozens of islands and coves that start to look the same after a while. That said, the pleasure of reaching a synchronisation point and seeing the view from above is enough to warrant their inclusion.

The graphics are stunning, by the way. The open seas have never looked better in any game, ever, and the lighting effects of a setting sun over Havana are simply beautiful. Even the pouring rain looks gorgeous as the individual splashes of rain pound against the wooden floor of your ship. Now, I haven't played the PS3 version, but the last 3 Assassins Creeds on that console suffered from a very poor framerate, so I'd be surprised if there was any significant improvement in the PS3 version of Black Flag. On the PS4, it's as fluid and smooth as you could hope for.

To wrap up, having suffered from tepid, stale, run-of-the-mill annual releases for two or three years now, Black Flag is the injection of life and freshness that the series desperately needed. This is undoubtedly the best Assassins Creed since AC2. If that doesn't convince you to buy it, nothing will.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 16 Oct 2014
J. Richards "The Icon" (Caldicot, South Wales) - See all my reviews
What can i say. Bought this at launch for the PS4 (also bought it at launch). This is one of, if not the best Assassin's Creed games made to date.

It needs to be said, that Ubisoft put the whole Assassin order in the background and focussed on you doing what a Pirate does best. Which is of course, pillage, plunder and drink whilst sailing across the ocean in search of buried treasure. That's what makes this game different from the other games in the series so far. I for one enjoy that aspect of it, especially the whole being a Pirate.

You play as Edward Kenway, the granfather of Connor and the father of Haythem Kenway. As the game progresses, you learn more and more of the pirate life. Exploring over 70 locations (including Kingston and Nassau) And many other locations both on land and under water, it is certainly worth exploring everywhere (even if it is just for the view). I'm not going to go into detail on the story, it will spoil things. But it is one of the best Creed stories made.

You get your own ship in this game, the Jackdaw. Similar in design to the Aquilla in III, but the biggest difference is that you can upgrade everything on-board. From the wheel, right down to how much storage you have for the canonballs. You will literally spend hours just upgrading the ship. The more you upgrade, the better chances you have against the larger ships and of course the Fortresses (which in turn opens up more of the map for exploration). As you sail around, you can pick up booty which is floating in the ocean, and survivors from ship wrecks to join your crew. As Ubisoft do, they introduce features to their games, then improve them for the next. In this case, they added Ships and sailing in III, and improved it 10x over for Black Flag.

The ocean itself is a living, breathing world. You will spend 50% (if not more) of your time out here (either on missions or just for exploring). As you sail around, you will see other ships engaging in battles. You can either join in or sail past, that's entirely up to you on that. In all Creed games, you get a wanted level. It's no different here, you get a wanted level if you blast other ships out of the water. And you get a bounty on your head (or ship in this case), other ships do come after you to claim the bounty. The higher the bounty, the tougher the ship. This can be cleared in the major cities.

Graphically, this looks fantastic on the PS4. Very colourful, which is why i recommend exploring everywhere. Audio is fantastic as well, i do recommend getting a good sound set-up to get the most of it.

I can't fault this game at all, i recommend you get it if not already done so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back on track, 6 Mar 2014
This review is from: Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag (PS4) (Video Game)
I have loved the Assassins series but for me personally it took a serious knock on AC3 and I really thought it had run its course..how wrong I was as AC4 is simple staggering and amazing.

This is an epic adventure that is going to give you weeks of fun. The battles at sea in command of your own ship the 'Jackdaw' are incredible, especially when you start to take on the bigger ships like the 'Man of War's', you can destroy the enemy or you can board their ship and fight it out to win control (when you do this you always get more loot to go towards upgrades).. I even like the cheesy accompanying Pirates of the Caribbean style music that ramps up from time to time, it's incredibly well done.

There are still plenty of land adventures and many ports to visit. Whilst on land you slip into the traditional Assassins mode where you are exploring and carrying out mini missions to either capture, kill, follow or free people. Its been said by others but perhaps still a little room for improvement on the occasional mis-directional control moment, but for me I found it a minor point in an overall epic adventure and not enough to deduct a star.

One bonus is the new AC4 App you can download, this allows you to use ships you have captured in the full game and send them to your own fleet that you then use to run trade missions, known as 'Keyway's Fleet', on the app (I use IPad) you despatch the vessels to earn extra money which can then be used to secure upgrades, really great fun and addictive when you get used to it.

In addition there is the ability to go on diving missions to retrieve loot as well as unlock plans for upgrades, those damn sharks, eels and other under water enemies will annoy you but still its cool.

If you want an open world swash buckling adventure that just builds as you go on, then this is a beautifully crafted and thoroughly enjoyable game.

Best in the series so far and a great addition to the PS4 collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Assassins Creed is back, 21 Dec 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag (PS4) (Video Game)
Previous to this, AC2 was the last assassins creed game I really enjoyed, brotherhood, revelations and 3 were all average. When I saw this game released I was like "yawn, yet another assassins creed game", however I bought a ps4 at launch and with limited software to choose from I reluctantly decided to give this ago. I am so glad I did because in my opinion this is the best assassins creed in the series so far.

Firstly as this is on a next gen console I feel I should talk about the graphics first, which are absolutely stunning, I've stopped many times to look at the scenery, the water effects are beautiful and the detail on the Jack daw is amazing. I am roughly half way through the game and have experienced no stuttering or slow down so far.

The Jack daw sequences themselves are awesome, you get to free roam around the open ocean as captain of your own pirate ship discovering hidden treasures and locations as well as battling rival ships, which once defeated can be used to upgrade or repair the Jack daw or can be added to your own fleet. This is so much fun I have spent nights just doing this and not even bothering with the main story.

In terms of gameplay it's usual assassins creed with free running and stealth kills, the odd frustrating moment when the controls don't seem to do exactly what you want them to (this is the same in all assassins creed games), however this is not enough to take anything away from the game.

If you already own, or are getting a ps4 for Christmas I would highly recommend this game from the launch line-up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Addicting!, 19 Dec 2013
Q. Clemens - See all my reviews
This review is from: Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag (PS4) (Video Game)
I've never been this addicted to a game before! The open world is truly amazing, and there's alot of variety in gameplay! I'll be keeping myself busy with this beauty for a while!

Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag (PS4)
Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag (PS4) by Ubisoft (PlayStation 4)