5.0 out of 5 stars Tugs at the heart-strings
Quite simply, one of the best books I have ever read. To say this is an easy read is almost an insult to the author, but it is meant to be the highest praise. I was totally engrossed with the characters and was screaming at my kindle "Don't do it" when SJ was about to jump off the metaphorical cliff. This was a real page-turner (or should it be screen-pusher with...
Published 22 months ago by Candy Knight

3.0 out of 5 stars After the hype I was expecting a gripping read. ...
After the hype I was expecting a gripping read...bit sign posted and felt it needed more depth. However I did finish it but its not going to be one of those memorable books that stay with you.
Published 2 months ago by Miss Allen

‹ Previous | 15 6 710 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Slice of Life, 21 April 2013
This review is from: Ice And A Slice (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly recommend this book, for its characterisation, pace, irresistible story telling and masterful handling of a dark and difficult subject, brought out into the light.

Ice And A Slice is a powerful novel, which has you wincing for the heroine, SJ, in the wake of every alcohol-fuelled wrecking spree, whilst still loving her to bits.

Flawed she might be, but she's also honest, warm, well intentioned, funny and incredibly real. You can't help rooting for her on every step of her snakes and ladders journey, from reluctant realisation of her problem, through relapse, regret and renewed resolve, to a thoroughly satisfying conclusion.

Expertly crafted by Della Galton, and set against a lively background of modern day life, in which family relationships, lasting friendship and, ultimately, love, all play a part, Ice And A Slice manages to be humorous, uplifting and highly absorbing, in spite of its harrowing central theme.

The complex issues surrounding an impending family gathering also make for an utterly compulsive read. But, as the big day approaches, the constant presence of a great big pink elephant in the room, visible, it seems, only to SJ herself, makes us wonder at times exactly who is in denial here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ice and Slice More Than Nice, 17 April 2013
This review is from: Ice And A Slice (Kindle Edition)
This is the first of Della Galton's books I have read and I was not disappointed. SJ the heroine of the story is lovable, charming, funny and very vulnerable. She tries to please everyone but in the end has to be true to herself and break away from the surreal world she has has created. SJ faces the demon drink full on even though others are in denial. The storyline is both provocative and poignant. In a society where many of us unwind after a hard day at work with a glass of wine it's easy to see how the glass becomes a bottle, then two and possibly more. The book deals with the the very delicate subject of alcoholism without depressing the reader. It leads you on a roller coaster of emotions, willing SJ not to say things she says or do things that can hurt her and others. I found the story gripping and wanted it to go on forever. I will definitely be buying more of Della's books.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Read, 8 April 2013
This review is from: Ice And A Slice (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book and could have read it in one sitting if I'd had the time. The character of SJ was brilliantly crafted and completely believable. The subject is a tough one but was handled beautifully and was certainly thought provoking. There but for the grace of God. I would definitely recommnend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars ALMOST TOO REAL FOR COMFORT, 7 April 2013
This review is from: Ice And A Slice (Kindle Edition)
This is a powerful, raw book, not for the faint-hearted. Della Galton's 'heroine' S.J is an alcoholic but one can feel only sympathy for her as you are drawn into her mind. Beautifully written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously good, 6 April 2013
This review is from: Ice And A Slice (Kindle Edition)
This is seriously good writing. Della had already made a name for herself as a short story writer before she tackled this subject. It is a very difficult subject for any writer but Della has handled it perfectly. It has all the right elements of sadness and humour as well as captivating characters. I cannot recommend this too highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent and inspiring, 3 April 2013
Ice and a Slice

'Ice and a Slice' is so cleverly crafted that it is both entertaining and deeply perceptive, both engaging and rather unsettling.

We walk alongside the heroine SJ as she fights her demons, aided and obstructed in equal measure by those close to her.

This is a truly magnificent and inspiring read.

5.0 out of 5 stars So well crafted it could become a self help book for alcoholics, 31 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Ice And A Slice (Kindle Edition)
Della is a master of emotive writing and I felt like I was part of SJ's life, experiencing her anguish and pain. Her character is expertly drawn and her struggle is a universal one - many may recognise it in themselves as they read, so much so that this novel could become a self help book. Cross dressing and sibling rivalry add to the melting pot and the climax at the party is unforgettable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 31 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Ice And A Slice (Kindle Edition)
Really really enjoyed this book. I choose it because i am aware of the author and it didn't disappoint. I found it funny, heartwarming and real, but incredibly painful in parts (I could really feel the emotions and turmoil SJ was going through). Such a positive ending though and and a beautiful message that we can all change if we take the right action and have the right attitude. Awesome.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Read., 29 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Ice And A Slice (Kindle Edition)
I absolutely loved this book and couldn't put it down. In my opinion it is undoubtedly Della Galton's best to date.
S.J.'s story made me laugh, cry, shiver and finally rejoice. I really felt that I knew her and shared her tumultuous life with it's troubles, pain and ultimate .....(I don't want to spoil it for future readers!) Although SJ's story has a serious message Della Galton has kept a strong line of humour and warmth throughout. I defy anyone reading this amazing story not to be carried along with SJ, and to care deeply about her. Thank you so much, Della Galton, and please write lots more books soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars read it in one sitting, 29 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Ice And A Slice (Kindle Edition)
This book cost me a whole nights sleep but it was worth it. The characters were very real. I really cared about SJ and her problems. the tension of will she, won't she kept me turning the kindle pages until my eyes were sore and I wasn't disappointed. I agree with the other reviewer. This is a must read.

‹ Previous | 15 6 710 | Next ›