5.0 out of 5 stars Tugs at the heart-strings
Published 21 months ago by Candy Knight

3.0 out of 5 stars After the hype I was expecting a gripping read. ...
After the hype I was expecting a gripping read...bit sign posted and felt it needed more depth. However I did finish it but its not going to be one of those memorable books that stay with you.
Published 1 month ago by Miss Allen

5.0 out of 5 stars Tugs at the heart-strings, 28 Mar 2013
This review is from: Ice and a Slice (Kindle Edition)
Quite simply, one of the best books I have ever read. To say this is an easy read is almost an insult to the author, but it is meant to be the highest praise. I was totally engrossed with the characters and was screaming at my kindle "Don't do it" when SJ was about to jump off the metaphorical cliff. This was a real page-turner (or should it be screen-pusher with Kindles ;-)?) and I would recommend it (and have recommended it) to everyone.

There are four things you must do with this book: 1) Buy it, 2) Read it, 3) Enjoy it and 4) Tell your friends - they won't be disappointed. I hope there isn't a sequel as I am not sure my heart would stand up to the stress and I think SJ went through enough this time, but I look forward to Della's next book with eager anticipation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book with a flawed but lovable character, 26 Mar 2013
This review is from: Ice and a Slice (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The main character, SJ, is deeply flawed but totally lovable and the way her drinking escalates was very thought provoking. As someone who enjoys a glass or three of wine of an evening Ice and Slice got me thinking about my own drinking and while I don't have a problem with it, the book brought home just how easy it is to let those few glasses become a few more and gradually wreck your life. This is the very best contemporary fiction of the chick lit variety because it has everything you need - romance, humour, friendship and love woven round a serious issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars roller-coaster, 20 May 2013
This review is from: Ice and a Slice (Kindle Edition)
I hesitate to add yet another 5 star review to Ice and a Slice but I can't help myself. Here is a novel which captured me after the first few pages - I just had to know whether the key character would end up in life's gutter or if she would manage to climb out of the pit of despair. The surrounding characters, too, all slotted in perfectly; I occasionally loathed or loved them. But, of course, from reading her previous works I know Della Galton is blessed with the ability to take the reader on an emotional roller-coaster. It's a ride well worth taking.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Page Turner, 26 Mar 2013
Amazon Customer (Cowes, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ice and a Slice (Kindle Edition)
I've always loved Della Galton's writing, but I think this book has to be her best to date. It manages to be both amusing and heartbreaking, and you are swept along with SJ (the main character) as she faces her inner demons - not to mention a load of unsympathetic relatives!
As well as being a darn good read, this book also helps you to understand the age-old problem of alcoholism. I found it hard to put down, and am look forward to Della's next novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and thought provoking, 21 Mar 2013
This review is from: Ice and a Slice (Kindle Edition)
A really entertaining - often humorous - and thoroughly thought provoking read. Just as I thought I had made my mind up about SJ, she made me think again. Ice and a Slice weaves lots of different themes - alcoholism, sibling rivalry, marriage and infidelity to name just a few, into a really good modern story.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 16 Mar 2013
This review is from: Ice and a Slice (Kindle Edition)
Sarah-Jane (SJ to her friends) likes her wine and her gin, but is realising that her drinking is getting out of control. Husband Tom doesn't seem to care and isn't helping her. Best friend Tanya is supportive but has issues of her own to deal with.

From the initial shocking scene, through the back story of how SJ got into that state, this book jogs along at the perfect pace. It's written in third person but the voice is so strong it feel like first person, and SJ feels like a real friend by the end. In fact she has her own Twitter account and facebook page so she CAN become your friend!

If you like a damn good read with an important message and upbeat ending, I'd recommend this one. I couldn't put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 31 May 2013
This review is from: Ice and a Slice (Kindle Edition)
This book should have a warning for those who need their sleep

I just couldn't put it down - lost nights sleep to finish it!

By far the best read for years. Beats brother's Archer hand downs by miles.

Do I have to wait long for the paperback so I can end him a real book for his Birthday?

And I can re-read it in the bath amongst the bubbles without risking drowning the kindle

5.0 out of 5 stars April diamond, 12 May 2013
This review is from: Ice and a Slice (Kindle Edition)
Great read take to beach or anywhere to loose yourself in very moving story highs n lows well worth reading

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping and brilliant, 17 Mar 2013
This review is from: Ice and a Slice (Kindle Edition)
Just read another one of my favourite author's books and particularly enjoyed this one. I actually bought it yesterday and had to stop doing my housework to read it. Much deeper than a light romance though it did have romance in it. I couldnt put it down, I had to know what would happen at the party and I wasn't disappointed. It's shocking, but it's also funny in places and terribly poignant. I loved SJ the heroine, I could see she was on a path to self destruction but it was so real. I could also see how this could happen. thought provoking and gripping. I have a feeling a lot of people will love this. It's definitely her best one yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Didn't want it to end, 16 Oct 2014
This review is from: Ice and a Slice (Kindle Edition)
I finished this book in 3 sittings, 1 because I needed to sleep and 2 because I was at risk of a severely well done Sunday dinner!!
Della Galton is one of my favourite short story writers, I am certain it is only a matter of time until she will be one of my best selling novelists.
Ice and a slice is as others have said, thought provoking; it certainly made me think about the glass or 3 of wine I enjoy when the fancy takes me. SJ quickly became my friend and I was rooting for her from page one. This is a story within other stories, SJ's battle with alcohol is obviously the main theme, but there are other things going on around. Yes, there is a smidgen of romance but there is also a peppering of gentle humour which is appropriately used given the topic of the book - some very clever playing on words humour which ideally fit.
As I read I could clearly picture all the characters which to me is sign of an excellent writer, but then with over 1,000 short stories as well as novellas and 'toolshed' books, that is exactly what Della is.
Note to self; don't read the sequel on a Sunday ;-)

Ice and a Slice