on 12 August 2006
Not what I was expecting at all. More a history book than anything, but its well worth the read.

Real indepth studies to pnd, and treatment in the early 20th century.
on 5 September 2014
I really enjoyed this book and I could relate perfectly with what this lady went through
on 16 March 2015
Fascinating true story. Well researched.
on 12 April 2013
This is an interesting piece of family history research but it seemed to be padded(?) with a lot of historical context which I already knew. I was expecting a history but at times it felt rather like a novel. Notwithstanding, it was a sad story well researched and told.
The text included some very strange words eg. adumbration and emendation why?
on 17 May 2013
The world has lost a great writer.

This was a very well written and researched book, involving and enthralling, as well as educational. I felt so sorry for poor Beth and her tribulations. The courts were so cruel to half-demented, exhausted mothers back in the early part of the last century.
on 12 May 2015
Whilst this is very well written, it still reads like a text book rather than a novel. As such I found it repetitive and far to padded out with conjecture. Had it been composed as a historical novel, or as a historical text, it would have worked better, but in its present format, it is neither.
on 27 May 2013
I found this a poorly written book about a subject that could have inspired so much more. It is hard to follow the families and a combination of writing styles drawn from the penny dreadfuls and the statisticians reports. Just awfully badly written and very disappointing.
on 7 September 2013
A big disappointment this book. I realised it was a true story - but it digressed off into too many facts, figures and seemed to be using these to fill out what would have been probably just a short book.
on 29 May 2013
This book although very well written is very dark and depressing, so much so that I have only managed to get half way through. No mother with post natal depression should lift the books cover
on 1 December 2013
Could not get interested in this book at all. Had to delete it from the kindle because I tried so many times to get into the story but was disappointed