5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV
I don't usually write Amazon reviews for products I haven't purchased from Amazon directly, but I spent hours researching TVs and found it to be more frustrating that I imagined. Although I purchased this from another seller (Only reason being I could get it on credit) - I hope this will be of use to someone.

I've had a 37" LCD Samsung for nearly 4 years now,...
Published 10 months ago by J. C. Neale

Bought this budget to replace a 4yr old Toshiba LCD that was developing problems. I chose it over the Samsung UE42F5000AKXXU because from what I've read that has a reputation for poor reliability and variable quality.

Published 4 months ago by P Roberts

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV, 14 Jun 2013
J. C. Neale (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: LG 39LN540V 39-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD LED TV with Freeview HD/Intelligent Sensor/HDMI Connectivity (Electronics)

I've had a 37" LCD Samsung for nearly 4 years now, and it finally conked out on me. When I went to research new TVs, I was quite amazed by how out of date I was! I was aware of smart TV's and 3D compatibility, but I hadn't realised that LED TVs were now the norm rather than the elite.
Anyway, I simply wanted a near as I could replacement - Wasn't after smart or 3D functionality. After some head scratching, I opted for this one.

This TV is very easy to set up, no longer than 10-15 including set up and auto-tuning. I love the minimal, almost edge-to-edge design it has, in fact it takes up less space than my older 37" Samsung did - It's also very light. For a 39" inch TV, which for me I can't imagine going any bigger, it has a surprisingly low profile.

The quality of the image is superb, I can't find any reason to fault it at all. I use it for gaming, TV and watching DVD's and Blu-Rays, and I have no complaints what-so-ever. There are a good amount of personalisation and technical options for video settings, and I'd recommend new users at least use the Picture Wizard tool to get the right levels for them.

As for the sound, it's actually not that bad. I find it's actually better than my older Samsung was by a long shot. I would encourage any new user to create their own sound profile using the EQ options - Boosting the low frequencies by about 70-80%, heightening the high-end by about 40-50% and raising the mid ranges a few notches provides the best overall sound. Of course, in comparison to monitors and soundbars there is obviously going to be a difference. However, in my view the sound isn't so bad that you HAVE to be thinking of buying a sound bar after buying this TV. If you are used to surround sound or decent 2.1 systems, it will be much poorer yes, but It's perfectly fine for everyday use. Volume and clarity is actually very surprising for a flat screen TV, and the using EQ options you can actually get an acceptable sound out of it.

However, a couple of points that might prove useful to any prospective buyers:

- For sound, be aware there is no audio output at all aside from an optical lead connection for a soundbar and the like. No headphone socket, no 3.5mm Jack or S/PDIF out. The only available output is for optical leads. This a great shame to me, and feels a bit like a squeeze by LG for you to buy a soundbar with your new TV.
This was a sour point for me, as a gamer I like to plug in my monitors via a headphone out socket for playing games through a TV. Again, if the native sound from the TV was completely awful, I would have sent it straight back because of this issue, But the sound being perfectly fine (with some tweaking) it will do until I can afford a soundbar or optical speakers.

- For gamers and film watchers, please just be aware of the following point: For the video settings, make sure you disable BOTH Energy-Saving mode (turn it completely off) AND disable Dynamic Contrast. If you don't, when there are dark scenes in a film/game, or loading screens, the screen will darken and then brighten back up again when more is happening on screen. This can get very distracting and annoying, and I spent 30 minutes wondering why it was still doing it after I had disabled Energy-Saving, only to realise Dynamic Contrast needed to turned completely off also.

In short, this is an excellent quality TV. A perfect size for me, a great quality screen, nice minimal design and strong customisation options. All with a nicely fashioned and designed interface, that is easily navigated. It probably is the best value for money in this range.
Basically, this is a great option for those who want a great quality TV, without paying a higher price for the bells and whistles of Smart/3D TV's.

The only real negative is the absence of any Audio Out connection, besides optical. But that really isn't enough for me to warrant marking it down a star.
With only a couple of minor adjustments, you can set this TV up nicely.

5.0 out of 5 stars 42ln540v, Amazing tv, 8 May 2013
This tv is incredible, got a good deal on it from richer sounds, i took a chance on this set based on last years reviews on the LG cs460, i went to currys with two tvs in mind, samsungs latest smart tv the 39in f5500 and this lg, comparing the two side by side the picture on the samsung seemed somewhat dull and grainy so i took a trip to richer sounds to pick up the lg, had it 5 days now and i'm not dissapointed.

Setup: I can't say how long it took to set it all up as i had to remove old equipment put up a new stand and put some equipment back so it took me a while, after plugging the set in it took a few mins to go through the options and scan for freeview channels, a very simple straight forward process.

Picture: The picture quality on this set is amazing, very clear with good sharp colours especially with hd content and blu-rays, standard freeview channels give a good picture too but older and b&w shows/films aren't that clear but i expected that, i've had a good look at the screen and can't see any ghosting, blurred motion on fast movements, bleeding or cloudiness.
it does have a few preset picture settings, vivid, standard, eco, game, cinema and two expert modes for use with the picture wizard to create your own through a very easy step by step guide, i've not played with the settings much as the standard settings are very good.

Sound: The sound is impressive for two small 10w speakers, has a nice amount of bass and doesn't sound tinny, i was going to purchase a sound bar to go with it but the speakers are good enough, as with most tvs now there isn't any audio out connections on the back apart from an optical out.

USB: I've thrown every file type at this mkv, mp4, 3gp, avi etc and they all play, if you are downloading films to watch make sure you get high quality files of 3gb and over, lower quality files are okay but they don't do the set any justice, low quality avi files less then 1gb can look a bit messy. You can't record via the usb but that's not a problem for me. i have noticed that DTS audio through the usb isn't supported and will display an error message.

Gaming (ps3): This set works well with games and i can't notice any real lag, GT5 is absolutely stunning in full HD, with BF3 it seems to be a little clunky and feels heavy, i think it might just be me having to get used to a full HD widescreen tv (my last set was a 1080i compatible rear projection 42in samsung that wouldn't display a real widescreen picture via component and would only go to 576p), saying that the game looks smooth and the detail really stands out. *Update 22/5/2013*: After a hard time with BF3 issues i went through the tv settings to try and improve the gameplay, changed the input label to pc, turned off tv features, tried game mode etc and it made no difference whatsoever, i altered the ps3 display settings and unchecked 1080i and 720, playing the game in 576p has removed all lag issues, every other game i've tried in hd gt5, f12012, cod, dead island etc all play fine without any issues.

DLNA Capabilities: There is an ethernet port on the back for system updates etc, i don't know how far the dlna capabilities go but i can't try streaming content from my pc as it's an O.A.P now, i have tried through my phone (galaxy s3) to stream content to the tv, the phone will find the tv to share content with it but i can't figure out how it's done, the user guide doesn't explain either.

Overall i highly rate and recomend this tv, friends have commented on how clear the picture is and how good the sound is, the set feels very solid and stable on the stand and is well built. Sorry if this review is long winded it's my 1st review for a product and seeing as there are hardly any reviews for this set i thought it be best to go into as much detail as possible, hope this review helps some of you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost a very, very good TV., 3 Aug 2013
T. C. Osborne (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This is an exceptional TV but is let down by one major flaw. It has very poor black levels. You don't notice this in the day but when the lights are dimmed in the evening it is very noticeable. Why are black levels important? Because it improves the contrast of the image. So when watching a blu ray you will notice the 'black bars' above and below the image are greyish blue. If you are buying an HD TV for watching movies I would recommend the Samsung F5000/F5500, Sony W653 and Panasonic E6B all of which have excellent picture quality and deep blacks.

However, as the LG uses an IPS panel(reason for poor black levels)you do gain much stronger colours and better viewing angles.

The clarity of the TV is also stunning even when watching standard definition content. HD is stunning!

I was also impressed with the overall build quality. The picture adjusting tools are extensive and fun to use. Its clear that LG put a lot of thought into how to
give value for money.

To conclude...if you are someone who watches a lot of TV programmes and the odd movie I would definitely recommend the LN540V. If you are into movies and want to be blown away by the whole blu ray experience then you would be much better off buying one of the TV's listed above.

Update: 30/12/13 The F5500 is actually not as good as the F5000 for picture quality.

Here are some picture settings I found on a US website for a review of the very similar LN5300. They work great;

Picture Mode - Expert 1
Backlight - 65, 60 for total darkness
Contrast - 80
Brightness - 50
H Sharpness - 10
V Sharpness - 10 (You might want to notch sharpness up a bit for SD viewing)
Color - 58
Motion Eye Care - greyed out

Read more: [...]
Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | digitaltrendsftw on Facebook

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product at a great price, 11 Aug 2013
This is my third LG TV, a 22" a 36" and now a 42"! all are working well and give me exactly what I want, an easy to use, quick to set up system with picture and sound quality great for my requirements.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 13 July 2013
Outstanding television. If, like me, you're not fussed about all the 3D and 'Smart TV' malarky then get this TV. It's absolutely superb. Plays everything you throw at it via USB and everything looks fantastic once you tweak the settings properly.

I was initially going to buy a Smart TV but decided against paying such a hefty premium for features I already have access to via my games consoles, PC and Kindle Fire HD (all of which I can hook up to my TV).

Very pleased with this purchase. Top notch as always from LG.

5.0 out of 5 stars Style and simplicity., 11 April 2014
I based my purchase of this LG product mainly on the many positive reviews id read on Amazon and im extremely pleased I did so,i found it easy to assemble and fit the stand and found the stand itself to be substantial and solid in all respects,easily capable of supporting the weight of the more fragile screen and electronics.Setting it up was simplicity itself,you just cant go wrong unless you are an utter incompetent at anything with wires attached.As to the picture and response times,mainly I use it for watching films so my opinion is based purely on that usage,on both Blu-ray and ordinary cd's the picture is spectacular,on Alien and Oblivion I found the response times correct and the quality of transfer to screen quite startling in comparison to my older 32 inch Lcd screen.The sound I must admit to a slight disappointment with,i noted it to be rather muted and a trifle muffled initially,however cranking up the volume a few points has improved the quality but its not top notch by any means,more bass is needed.Regarding the quality of the item,i think its a very nice looking piece of kit thanks to the sheer simplicity of its design and with the narrow sides and wonderful black case,i think its rather beautiful from an engineering and design point of view.I cannot fault it in any way other than the quality of its sound reproduction.It is most certainly extremely good value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, if it survives..., 30 Dec 2013
First of all, I purchased one of these from Amazon warehouse deals as "Like New" a couple of weeks ago for 310 which was 15 cheaper than a brand new one. I've never gone wrong when buying a "Like New" cheaper item from Amazon but the TV lasted around two days before it developed a fault (Turning off & on again every 2-3 seconds) which was a shame. Of course Amazon are great and gave me free delivery back to them and a quick refund even though it was Christmas.

I've now decided to buy a brand new version of this TV and hope I get better luck as I really did enjoy the two days I had with the previous one.

Since I had a really bad time of searching for a new TV (Size, quality, price), I thought I'd share with you the way that I went about buying this TV:

I set out with a 500 budget to buy a TV. I eliminated the 50" version quickly as it's far too big for a bedroom TV when you sit directly in front of it (Computer monitor). The price range on the 43" - 47" are all over the place and most of the time more expensive than 50" versions and 42" seems to be the new 32" when it comes to buying a TV in the 1080p resolution (Any larger can look stretched).

It was now a decision between a cheap brand smart TV, a well known branded normal TV (This one) or a well known branded smart TV (The 42" smart version of this). I knew this TV would be hooked up to a computer which pretty much eliminated the need for smart capabilities (Skype/Facebook/iplayer etc) and knew if I ever used this TV in the main living room we would have sky/virgin media in there to be able to watch iplayer anyway. I discarded the cheap branded TVs as they are usually developed to JUST match the standards for a TV (Colors, Brightness, quality, etc) and while they may look like a bargain, they usually only last a year or so anyway. Therefor in the price range of 300~ you will NOT find a better 42" anywhere.

As for the quality of the model, the quality of the on-screen image and the overall TV, it gets a 5/5 from me, even if the first set broken. Gaming on this is a dream (PS4). Watching 1080p videos are very detailed (vs my old LG 32" full HD TV) and the colors are just gorgeous. If you're looking for a TV (Dec 2013) at this size, this will be the #1 choice for sure.

Edit: After playing Fifa 14 on PS4 for a few days, you can see ghosting of the players quite a lot (Maybe 1-2 seconds behind/infront of the models on screen), I'm not sure if this is my TV or every version of this TV, but would be nice to hear if anybody else has any problems?

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Tv, but awful sound., 20 May 2013
Jamski (Guildord, Surrey) - See all my reviews
I'll get the only negative out the way. The sound sucks. I mean it's really really bad. Shallow and tinny. Although it's probably no worse than any other tv out there these days. 100 on a sound bar and your sorted though.

Right, so out the box the TV looks stunning. Lovely big glossy screen, thin bezel. Only 2 hdmi ports, but that doesn't bother me really. One scart, and normal analogue sockets and an optical out for the sound. Good remote and built in HD freeview.

Picture wise it's great, pretty bright. In face that's the thing that needs getting used to the most. The blacks are nice and rich, HD channels look great. For the money I think it's a great buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Edging Forward..., 29 July 2013
42" is as large as I would want to go when viewing standard definition (SD) channels in my fairly typical, not very large, British living room. Original PAL system cathode ray TVs were designed for a maximum screen size of 25" or 32" widescreen in a large living room with slightly better than standard definition pictures so I would not expect a 42" screen to look very good at less than 8 feet or so in SD mode. High definition (HD) pictures should hold up even at four or five feet viewing range. LG are one of the major LCD/LED set manufacturers and own many related patents so I'd hope for good quality and reliability.

It uses (allegedly, but I can't find it written down anywhere) an IPS LCD panel, edge backlit by LEDs, and consumes a bit less than half the power of my last set. It's rated as A+ and 52 watts on the energy consumption sticker with 110 watts written on the back of the set. I would guess the 52 watts is absolute minimum and the 110 watts maximum, with the true consumption being somewhere in between. The set is light, being about half the weight of my old one at 11kg or 24lb and seems reasonably robust when moving it around. The stand was easy to assemble; needing only a medium to large cross-head screwdriver.

The backlighting works well with the LCD panel giving a good range of contrast. The extreme corners might be a tiny bit darker when the screen is all white; this is not noticeable in normal use. Blacks can be very black and whites, well....very white...The black level may not be perfect but it's good enough for me - Try Game of Thrones on Blu-ray as a test and see what you think; after a minute or two you should have forgotten about black levels and be totally immersed in the story. The colour gamut or range seems improved over my last set which was a five years old Toshiba and I can notice more subtle changes in shades of colour than before.

The set runs fairly cool with a slight warm spot on the right side of the rear of the cabinet. Menus are well implemented and generally straight forward. The 'Eco' picture setting seems not too bad if you don't want to be bothered fiddling with contrast, brightness etc. You can do much better with the 'Picture Wizard' tool on the Picture menu, which is very useful and helps fine tuning your own 'Expert' settings (AV Forums have a good section on how to set up the picture using a LG set as an example; see [...]

The USB port for playing videos or viewing photos from a memory stick is a useful extra. Sound is adequate as is the number of HDMI ports (two). I use a Marantz home cinema set up with five HDMI ports on the back of the amp which improves things.

The only slight problem I have is that the screen and bezel are shiny and reflective which means the set has to be positioned so as to avoid reflecting light from windows or lamps back at the viewer. However this now seems to be common with only one or two sets out of twenty or so in my local giant supermarket having anti-reflective screens. For this I knock off one star. A triumph of fashion over common sense?

I still remember the first colour TV I came across in a shop window in 1967. It cost around 700 and had a truly terrible picture with little contrast and terrible alignment. We thought it was wonderful. I bought my first colour set; a Sony 21" in 1976. It was better, having decent contrast and convergence and cost a more reasonable 320 (very roughly about 2200 at today's prices). I went on to own various Sony, Panasonic, Samsung and Toshiba sets and each time the price stayed about the same, or went down allowing for inflation, and the picture quality and functions improved. This LG obeys this rule, giving great performance for a budget model and is excellent value at Amazon's price. Hopefully it will also have the longer lifespan that is claimed for sets using LEDs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value, but let down by poor black levels and lacklustre color, 29 Nov 2013
P Roberts "Paul Roberts" (Irvine, UK) - See all my reviews

Picture clarity is good, even very good, from all sources - even standard def sky relayed through Magic Eye via the aerial input - BUT remember to turn off NR completely otherwise you'll get terrible motion smearing in low light scenes. This has been true of all the other LG LCD/LED TVs I've seen.

Other reviewers have slated this model for poor sound but I found it to be adequate; it's obvious that it's coming from small thin speakers but with a tiny bit of tweaking it's OK. Of much more concern to me is the lacklustre color and contrast. I've spent a lot of time carefully adjusting the many controls but with some sources the picture still looks "flat" with poor blacks, weak colour & contrast and often has an unpleasant cast to it. It looks even worse if you're viewing the screen from an angle. I should state that I'm a keen photographer and rather picky about such things; maybe it won't be as noticeable to others.

Despite these flaws I'm OK to keep this TV as it's only ever going to see use in our lounge for general TV watching. I have an older midrange LG LCD in another room for film watching and it's still clearly superior to this 42LN540V.

ARRAY(0xa80b2fb4)