on 5 April 2014
Purchased this TV 2 weeks ago. I did a lot of research and was going to go for the 3D version of this TV but decided to get this one instead as was an extra £100 just for 3D. This TV is excellent value for money. I would like to say I came from a old Sony CRT which was about 22 inches and weighed a ton. First thing I noticed was just how light this TV is. It weighs just over 9kg and can be handled with just one person. Gone are the days when two people are needed to lift the TV. Although saying this, if you're mounting it to a wall you do need two people.

When you turn on the TV it goes through an initial set up: such as auto tuning the TV, setting up the internet connection and accepting terms and conditions. First thing I did was to go into the smart menu (the blue button) and then updated the firmware of the TV. Mine was 3 firmwares behind. Once this was done I turned on the Sky TV. I must say standard definition looks so much clearer on this than on my old CRT. The picture has more contrast and the colours are more vibrant. I was impressed. The sound has been reviewed as being tinny ... I can say it's not that bad. We barely have had to have it over 14. Usually its on 8 or 12 depending on the source. There is not much bass from the speakers but again, it's not that bad. Maybe if you like movies a lot you may want to consider getting a sound bar or connecting it to your hifi system etc. For me, it's ok.

One thing I've used a lot and enjoy is the smart feature. This is accessed using the remote controls blue button. I highly recommend getting an LG Magic remote as it's a lot quicker and easier to use. Using the normal remote there is a slight delay between pressing the button and the screen accepting what you are asking it to do. This is about 0.4-0.6 seconds. It's no deal breaker as the functions work really well. There are youtube apps, netflix, blinkbox, BBC iPlayer, 5OD, dailymotion etc. I've only used the youtube app. When you click on it, it loads an image of LG and then the youtube icon appears. It takes about 10-20 seconds to load youtube. I've got a 60mb virgin media connection but the loading is used via the internal processor. Once loaded browsing youtube is a lot easier again if you have a magic remote or the LG app on your phone. To search for items there are letters that you scroll left and right. It can take a bit of time again when selecting the letter for it to appear in the search box. Not instant like typing on a keyboard instant ... a delay of about 0.4-0.6 seconds ... a bit more when deleting. When you search youtube the results appear at the bottom as you type and then it gives you suggestions. EG: I typed Planet and options included Planet Earth. This makes searching quicker.

Youtube plays in HD. I put on a 1080p youtube video (although youtube videos output 720p or something like this - so I've read). The picture still looks amazing. Youtube does collate your view history. Which makes life easier if you want to watch it again. Also you can sign into your youtube account to access your favourites, likes etc. You can also like the videos and flag them. Not sure if you can add a comment.

Another thing this TV has managed to do is pick up my Plex Media Server without me doing anything. Now this is awesome! Although the menu on the screen isn't the same as watching Plex on a mobile where you get cover flow and IMBD ratings etc. It just lists the videos and any folders you have eg: my plex has Bollywood, Hollywood. Dramas, Documentaries folders and I can see these on the TV. If you click on one of these folders, eg: Hollywood then you can search using genre, date of release. items watched etc. Awesome!

Another thing this TV has is games on the LG App store. This is nice. You have to sign up to LG server to download apps but it's great. I downloaded a free darts app and works a treat. There are games like Batman and Spiderman on there too. but I think they are payable. Still was nice to see.

The Colours on the TV are nice. The settings I used are at the bottom of this review.

Overall: For the price this is an amazing TV and under £400 you can't get better. The TV has really nice colours and the smart TV functionality is awesome. Smart TV's are the future. Downsides are the sound could have more bass.

PROS
- Awesome colours and rich images
- Picks Up Plex Media Server (as long as you use the same network on the tv and the server)
- Can play pretty much lots of files (mkv, avi, h.264, mov) via the USB stick.
- Smart TV is nice, especially if used with a Magic Remote

CONS
- Sound could do with a little more bass. Play with the sound settings and you'll get something you like

Overall: Definitely worth considering buying this TV. 9.8/10 (0.2 reduced due to sound - again not a biggie unless your an audio junkie)

MY LG TV SETTINGS I USED AS A GUIDE - I found these settings on another amazon view. I played around with them a little bit like putting more contrast (plus or minus 5). You do the same as everyone has a different preference. My sound I did put on cinema sound. If you don't want to mess around with custom settings then the default or cinema settings are a good choice.

I prefer to keep any image processing enhancements like Tru-motion off or kept at a bare minimum.

Energy Saving OFF
Picture Mode ISF Expert 1
Backlight 60 (I changed this to about 65-70)
Contrast 87 (I changed this to about 90)
Brightness 52 (Changed mine to 60)
H Sharpness 25
V Sharpness 25
Color 60 (Put mine to 65)
Tint 0
Colour Management at default

Audio MUSIC
Clear Voice II 1
Sound Optimizer Normal

Other settings from another user:
backlight: 70
h sharpness:10
gamma: 2.4
colour temp: warm 2
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Size: 42 inchVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've been using this tv for five days at the time of writing this review, so it's given me ample time to test drive the various features, the main one being the smart tv aspect of it.

Set up is straight forward. After assembling the swivel stand and affixing to the tv panel, attach your external aerial and/or set top box. The tv has an array of input points - aerial, scart, 3 x HDMI and 3 x USB ports. Once switched on its basically a plug and play operation and the on screen menus will basically walk you through the initial set up including auto tuning to Freeview and connection to your home wifi network via the built in wifi connectivity the set has.

There are plenty of video and sound options to tweak the picture and audio output to suit your individual taste, so spend a few minutes experimenting and get the set exactly how you want it. The option to totally switch off the built in speakers is available should you want to connect the set to an external AV amplifier.

The smart tv function is access via a green button on the handset. The screen switches to an interactive display which allows you to access video on demand services such as Netflix, Lovefilm, Blinkbox and BBC iPlayer. There are various info apps and a separate screen for games. I don't think this menu is customisable, so what you see is what you get. I noticed a lack of ITV player, 4OD and Channel 5 player and the only way currently to access these is by using the internet icon, going to the individual website and then bookmarking each one for ease of access for future use. Another nice touch was whilst browsing the smart tv menu and internet, there is a picture-in-picture option that displays either your choice of Freeview or set top box channel. Effectively, you're able to surf the web whilst having your choice of tv programme playing in a corner of the screen..

I found using the internet with the supplied remote quite tedious. Typing anything is long winded, and having to use the up/down/left/right keys on the remote control is too time consuming and I would recommend anyone who intends to use the tv for regular internet access buy the LG Magic remote which I believe has been designed to improve the experience.

I think Sky and Virgin may will have a battle on their hands in retaining customers over the next few years as smart tv's provide people with the opportunity to access a vast array of viewing options at a fraction of the cost. This LG set is capable of receiving Freeview HD, and at current subscription rates you can get both Netflix and Lovefilm for less than £12/month. These two alone provide a huge selection of movies and tv series in their entirety, but combined with Freeview, I think most people will have more than enough quality choice to go at.

One thing I haven't yet done is to attach an external USB or hard drive to the set that will enable me to record programmes, but the option to record is available too on this model.

So, to conclude. A quality TV set, a pin sharp HD picture, decent sound output and future proof technology. Give yourself a few days to get use to what it can do and you'll be delighted with your purchase.

Highly recommended.
1616 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 27 March 2014
Although I did not buy this TV from Amazon (I got the same price but with 5 year warranty from John Lewis) I still want to give my review as it may help others make up their mind.

First of all regarding the TV's negative reviews on Amazon.....all electronics are subject to failure and manufacturing faults and if you happen to get a duff one then of course it is a bummer but from what I have seen this occurrence is well in the minority and I believe some of the reviewers simply failed to discover how to operate their TV's fully.

The first thing I did was to update the firmware as earlier problem reviews sounded like there were probable bugs in the early versions of the LG firmware.
I have now owned the TV since December 2013 and had 2 further update notifications which I have also installed.
This did seem to improve the user interface and considering it is a TV and not a computer (although it is actually a small PC with it's own CPU and software operating language - a form of Linux) it seems surprisingly competent to me, as a user of android tablets and mobile smartphone, comparing lag with lag on these other devices to this TV.

The 42LN575V was released in May 2013 and by December 2013 it had already been superseded and those still for sale are in fact now a discontinued stock but don't let this put you off as you certainly are getting a lot of TV for your money and if you have never experienced smart TV before then you will be entering a whole new experience.

The 42LN575V model comes with the basic remote control which can only be described as adequate and won't merit any praise above that it does the job and is fairly run of the mill. You can buy the "Magic" Remote separately, currently available on Amazon for around the £50..00 mark: Cut and paste the link below into your browser to see the magic remote on Amazon.

The other LG 42" TV Model, the LG 42LN613V was selling for more money than the 42LN575V but with the magic remote included and although Argos are still selling this more costly model at a higher price there is no mention that the magic remote is still included. Either way, in my humble opinion, if you are prepared to invest in this 42LN575V smart TV then you really should also make sure you purchase the magic remote without which many features will remain undiscovered and out of your reach.(THE 42LN575V MODEL DOES NOT HAVE THE MAGIC REMOTE INCLUDED.)

One of the attractions for me was the connectivity, particularly the DLNA which allows me to stream films from my NAS (wireless hard-drive) directly onto the TV without the need to connect any wires between the two. Also the three USB2 sockets are a generous inclusion and I am using one of these to power and communicate an EazyCast module (try Googling 'Miracast' to see what this is) which allows me to mirror my laptop and my mobile phone screens directly onto the TV screen wirelessly without any physical wired connection. Great for sharing things on your laptop or mobile phone with others in the room.

I am using two of the 3 HDMI ports, 1 for my Humax Foxstat PVR which is fine (you can rename the ports (EDIT UPDATE - From a predetermined list) so I have renamed HDMI 1 as "HUMAX")and the second one (HDMI 2)for the EazyCast device. I intend to use the 3rd HDMI port in the near future with a Gigabit Brix: Cut and paste the link below into your browser to see the Brix mini PC on Amazon.

also available on Amazon. I intend to attach this mini PC to the back of the TV using it's vesa bracket and use it as an XBMC server for my film collection.

I have had 2 occasions since December 2013 to now (March 2014) where I have needed to re-boot the TV when it froze on me.
This did not alarm or worry me as this is not an unusual occurrence with any electronic device that relies on software to operate and a simple re-boot resolved the temporary freeze. I have since discovered that the most likely cause for this is my own impatience pressing the remote control keys repeatedly because I thought the signal had not been sent. This simply overflows the keyboard buffer and the computer part of the TV cannot cope. The greatest risk of this happening is just after you have switched the TV on, as it does take a moment to load it's operating system and if you try to use the remote too soon, before the OS has loaded, you are likely to see the loading icon in the lower right-hand corner of the screen. This honestly has not been a problem, I found exactly the same thing happened when I first had my Humax box and got impatient because it did not seem to respond the instant I pressed a key.

All it takes is a little patience when entering the smart mode side of the TV, this is not a bleeding edge PC with the fastest processor nor are any of the other major brands (particularly at this price-point) and once you realise that you will avoid any possible pitfalls caused through impatience. Changing channels and volume are all virtually instant, it is just the smart side of the system that suffers what I consider to be a perfectly acceptable slight lag common also to many mobile phones and android tablets when in use.

The WIFI is easy to set up (although I am a bit of a tech lover so others less technical may well disagree) however, even as a tech user I do find the user interface is overly comprehensive and does take some learning in order to master everything on the smart side of the TV.

I have discovered one menu screen supposedly for your installed applications that doesn't seem to work at all and have spoken to LG about it who told me they are aware of this but have not developed a firmware fix for it yet. It doesn't stop anything from working as your apps are available through other screens. If you like apps then there are some free and paid for ones available once you have registered the TV with LG for which you will need to provide some personal details, an active email account and choose a password. apps can be easily purchased with PayPal and once installed you can remove them later and they remain available on your LG account for download again without charge should you change your mind.

The TV does have a limited amount of built in storage (I would guess about 2Gb) for your apps but this is not expandable and if you want to try a new app and you are short of space then you will need to uninstall something first. It did take me a goodly while to discover how to delete an app and the support manual built in to the smart side off the TV was about as useless as a chocolate teapot in this area. There are however, on screen prompts that appear albeit usually after you have discovered the answer yourself.

I was astounded to discover on my purchase (and others in their reviews have too) that not only does the 42LN575V TV have a "Freeview" tuner but also a "Freesat" tuner as well. The Freesat side of things works 100% with crackingly sharp pictures but the "Freeview" did not work so well due to weak signal which was disappointing as the Samsung which this replaced did in fact get most of the "Freeview" channels OK even though I am using a loft aerial - but I have no doubt that an external aerial will solve these issues.

You may be asking why I have given 5 stars when there are some shortcomings and the answer is simply that I defy anyone to buy this much tech for less than £400.00. Quite a few reviews comment on poor sound which puzzles me as by using the remarkably configurable equalizer controls I found the sound quality every bit as good as our previous Samsung although my daughter has the non smart 42" LG and found the need for a sound bar. Perhaps sound bars make a <statement> but I certainly found our sound fine and my daughter tells me it is much better than hers.

I have tested the TV record function which requires you to connect an external Hard-drive to a dedicated USB port. The hard-drive must be at least 40Gb (or the system won't recognise it) you get the option to install the required software which will carry out a special format and wipe the drive of any previous content and also prevent you from using this hard-drive for other purposes until you uninstall it using the LG uninstall dialogue which wipes the drive and returns the Hard-drive format to normal use again.

Once activated, the record function also gives you live TV pause function and indeed for play, pause and fast forward I personally find the basic remote control better for this and I use the magic remote (which also allows you search by voice) for the smart side of the TV where it comes into it's own.

All in all I believe I got myself a real bargain with this TV and the price is dropping daily so if you are in the market for Smart then don't wait as they won't last forever and they are not making this model any more. Incidentally, as I mentioned this LG replaced our previous 32" Samsung which was a good TV but my eyes are not so good and I wanted a larger screen. In the end, because the Samsung had such a big edge-lip around the screen and this LG 42LN575V has such a small discreet lip-edge, the overall size/space needed to stand the TV is only a tiny bit wider than before - so well chuffed.

I think I have covered most things but if you have any specific questions then I will try to answer them for you.
[...]. Cheers.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 5 March 2014
I've hammered and tested various sources over the past 4 days and I think I've nailed it.
My picture preferences are a picture wizard II starting point in Expert 1 with a few tweaks applied for personal preference.
Most processing turned off with the exception of Dynamic contrast at Low, this really helped with the washed out look I was previously getting.
My full settings are below if anyone is interested.
Sound wise you'll read mixed reviews everywhere but a hollow tinny sound has been the principal criticism.
I think I've fixed this with very pleasing results by applying the Music mode with clear voice II turned on to 1.
Iplayer is somewhat flaky still, but if you know what you're looking for it plays perfectly.
All in all most happy with it now, the out of the box settings may drive some crazy, but then I am fussy.
I need to be savvy with the sound, as it's not always appropriate to blast the neighbours and my Kids with the T9.

Energy Saving OFF
Colour Management at default

Audio MUSIC
Clear Voice II 1
Sound Optimizer Normal
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 13 January 2014
I managed to get the 42LN575V for £350 including shipping just after Christmas. :-)
There is a lot to recommend this TV but there are also some ongoing and very irritating flaws with the (at time of writing) latest firmware (v.04.11.22) and the network traffic exiting to the Internet by which LG are clearly spying on your viewing habits. By the way, the spying by LG is not unique to this model but common to all the LG Smart TV's. Furthermore I am finding a lot of criticism of LG, with which I am having to agree, when they screw up a perfectly good TV with a buggy firmware update that it is then not possible to roll back.

Pros:
- Nice looking TV with simple lines. Solid base with decent swivel action. Plenty of connectivity.
- Wifi built in (as well as normal wired LAN)
- As well as FreeviewHD there is also a HD Satellite/Cable receiver in the TV too! Bonus!
- Really great picture and I found the "Picture Wizard" in Settings very helpful in enabling me to get the picture just as I like it.
- Much better sound than flat screens had even 2 years ago, and quite acceptable.
- Plethora of other connectivity for sharing screens from other devices and streaming movies with great Codec support. Plays just about anything. I love the DLNA/Plex media server support, Crackle movies app, iPlayer, Time Machine (pause live TV, requires a USB HDD attached) and recording and things like Youtube operated from my phone or laptop.
- Screen mouse control via Android Smart TV remote control app is very intuitive and easy.
- Very usable browser particularly when using the LG Android remote control app with mouse and text input.

Cons:
The TV is clearly spying on your viewing and usage habits. Every piece of activity results in a post to LG servers on what channel you have just changed to, which movie you are watching (from USB or via DLNA). Aparently LG say they are no longer doing this, and the option for it in settings is both greyed out and off, but it's clearly still going on having looked at the network traffic coming out of the TV with Wireshark.

Since the firmware update from v04.04.05 to v04.11.22 the operation of at least the LG Android Remote control app and OnNow app are flakey with random network errors. The standard remote control also often requites two presses before the TV responds. At it's worst, accessing the TV with the LG Android app causes the TV to crash and reboot. There is no way to roll back a firmware update that I could find.

The standard TV remote is cheap and cheerful to say the least. More like a remote for a cheap portable.

The pause live TV/time shift function often drops out with a blank screen for a few seconds.

It's not possible to use the LG Android app to control some of the LG core Smart TV functionality (Onnow) as well as some apps like iPlayer, BBC Sport requiring one to revert to the supplied remote for these apps. Some apps are missing scroll bars and navigation arrows or just don't work with the touch pad mouse at all.

Since the latest firmware update to v.04.11.22 the TV is less responsive, always "chattering" on the network and suffers network errors when accessing some Smart TV apps and when using the LG Android remote control. I would recommend sticking with v.04.04.05 firmware which is what can be downloaded from the LG support website and installed via USB. If I could go back to it I would.

It's impossible to download any new apps without signing up to an LG account.

To block spy traffic add URL filters to your router for:
ibis.lgappstv.com
smartshare.lgtvsdp.com (this will also cause the LG Android remote control app to fail with "network errors")
smartclip.com
smartclip.net
yumenetworks.com
ad.lgappstv.com

This will also stop the very loud LG and other ads for a 4k TV that you get when viewing "My Apps" or the "Premium" apps.

Still great value at £350, perhaps not so much at £430. Would be a truly great buy if the firmware, operation inconsistencies and spying niggles could be dealt with.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 9 February 2014
I've had to hard wire my set because the wireless constantly drops signal or cannot find my virgin super hub which I confess doesn't pickup some other things around my brick wall house. My nexus 7 pad, windows phone and laptop work in most places but the TV is bad and is directly below the router less than 2 metres away!
Everything else is fine, sometimes I have to mess around sizing the PC input on HDMI 1 and yeah sometimes I wish there was a better zoom option built into the set. I have the sound out connected via optical but unlike my Xbox it doesn't light up the Dolby light on my receiver when watching Netflix with 5:1. So I wish it had better sound output options, maybe a headphone/analogue output.

I'm not sure if I should report the wireless as faulty. I dragged the router 8 ft away and it still drops signal. Changing wireless channels did not help.

Keeps asking for tuning input when you don't use the feature only the smart inputs. Can't turn it off.

Apart from that picture is very good and the free android remote nice if it worked on games and detected as magic remote. Boo to Microsoft for charging for a poor version on my win phone.

Can't get miracast to work with nexus 7 which makes me wonder again about a wireless fault
on 28 April 2014
I got mine a couple of weeks ago and when I ordered I did wonder if I would regret not going for a more expensive 42" smart LED from Sony or Samsung but I shouldn't of worried.

I've been really impressed, the picture quality is fantastic. My 1080p Blueray copy of Pacific Rim (good test with plenty of colour and action) looks incredible with vibrant colours and a very smooth picture. I haven't tried external speakers yet but the bog standard TV speakers perform perfectly well with no distortion and reasonable bass.

The TV runs at 100Mhz rather than the more common 120 Mhz in newer TVs and I actually prefer this. It makes gaming and movies look very smooth but without that eerie quality that 120Mhz TVs seem to have when they play standard TV shows (maybe thats just me)

The smart features perform well enough, maybe a little slowly despite the dual core processor, but not yet to the point of being frustrating. It came pre-installed with all the main video on demand services you'd expect including Netflix, Youtube, Iplayer and the new Amazon Prime instant video (not a plug I promise!).

The Wi-Fi so far has performed well with no drop out and no problems streaming HD content.

It also supports PLEX media server which is brilliant as you can stream video content from a computer running a media server and I've found this works well and is very easy to set up.

Lastly it has 3 HDMI ports and 3 USB ports meaning you can get a TV box, disc player and a games console all plugged in at once and you can have a network drive permanently attached and still have a spare port to watch or listen to something on a pen drive.

The only point it seems to lack over its similar spec rivals is lack of metal frame or stand. Its not an ugly tv, its thin and neatly designed but its all made of black plastic so if high style is your thing you may find it a bit pedestrian.

It terms of performance though it is well worth the cost saving.
on 11 April 2014
We're becoming quite an LG household. Where LG - Lucky Goldstar as they once were - was a make that was definitely second or perhaps even third tier in the quality stakes, they have made huge strides improving the quality of their products and their image. We bought this model because we already had a 23" LG TV in the kitchen and the quality, speed and ease-of-use blew us away.

That said, you rapidly realise, whoever the manufacturer, that quality in one type of TV doesn't always translate to quality across their range. In fact, I'd already been struck by how different Sony TVs could be depending on size and other factors. It's as if there were 12 different versions of Windows 8 out there with completely different interfaces and performance in response to commands. Every TV seems to have a different user interface design!

So it is that this TV isn't really in the same quality league as our 23" LG TV, but that doesn't mean it's bad, just that some of the really nice features in our 23" aren't present with this TV. But I'll come back to that in a moment.

The positives:

A very good TV image but using "older" LED TV technology: an LCD panel backlit by an LED array. Our 23" LG TV uses LEDs to produce the image and is brighter and clearer as a result. If you're thinking of buying this year then look for genuine pure LED displays.

A Freeview HD receiver: A good quality HD receiver yielding good picture quality

A built-in satellite receiver: This was a surprise as it's not part of the spec but it works well and supports multiple satellites. Be warned though: this was very much an "added extra" not what I ordered! There must be a few too many of these satellite-enabled TVs on the shelves so they're sending them out as alternatives to the pure Freeview TVs. Also, it didn't have an explicit Freesat mode so you do have to work with strange channel numbers.

Low energy: Off-hand around 40W when powered up. Don't go by the Amazon spec which is wrong in this regard; visit the LG site to check.

Network enabled with wifi/hard-wired built-in: A good range of services including LoveFilm, iPlayer, Netflix, but no ITV Player yet.

The not-so-good:

Menus are difficult to navigate and clunky: When used the Guide, why does the programme up/down button shift you +/- 24 hours rather than going up and down a page like our 23" ?? And why do you lose visibility of the current programme when in the Guide? Our 23" displays the Guide as an overlay so you can continue watching/listening. Some people have opted for the LG magic remote which apparently is great but is an additional £50 or so!

The TV menu/network services processor is underpowered. So if you use YouTube to "send" a video to the TV (actually, you're only telling it what video to show) it takes an age to do anything. A nice feature but it needs processing power.

A final note: We're very happy with the TV because it is excellent at this price point. But be aware that LG will be moving to faster processors, better all-LED displays and a more friendly user interface based on Palm OS which it bought from HP in the near future - probably for the 2014 range of TVs. But be aware that seeing a feature on one model doesn't guarantee it will be implemented in the same way on another!
on 11 March 2014
The TV was exactly what I wanted having read plenty of reviews about it. The 39 inch screen is right for my size of living room
on 21 January 2014
Fantastic product; more than exceeded my expectations.
High quality picture, and while sound quality is good, there is not a lot of depth to it. Coupled with a surround sound system, this is absolutely brilliant.