4.0 out of 5 stars Great TV for the money - since the price drop
No nonsense review of the LG 42LA740V TV.

My 2D picture rating: 4/5
The Good: Vibrant and clear enough to beat the pants off my 5 year old Sony LCD.
The Bad: For the more discerning viewer, the depth of contrast could be better.

My 3D picture rating: 5/5
The Good: Eye popping depth of field with no apparent ghosting or other noticeable...
Published 16 months ago by C. Shaw

1.0 out of 5 stars Great visuals, let down by a under-powered processor..
The telly itself worked fine offering an excellent picture with good viewing angles, however the fun ends there!! Especially if you're looking to make uses of it's "smart features", the LA740V suffered from an overtly complex GUI that lagged and occasionally crashed, requiring a quick reboot. Updating it's firmware didn't improve matters. Both YouTube and Amazon...
Published 8 months ago by Ms. Nikita

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars very happy with it, 6 Jan. 2014
LG47LA740V

I did a lot of research before I parted with my money and picked this on picture and price.

I was using a 9 year old Toshiba which was a top rated TV in 2005 but now shows its age, when I went to friends houses I was often impressed by their cheaper bigger tellies.

The picture in hi def is fantastic. the normal picture is also excellent

The sound is pretty good, with the sub on the back of the TV doing a good job. I can not see what the critics are moaning about. The sound is better than the Samsungs that I listened to in my local Currys megastore.

Basic set up was easy, but it took about 3 hours to get a good grip on the detail in the menu's ETC.

I can not comment on the 3D as I have only looked at a still picture in 3D

This is the first smart TV I have used so I can not compare with any others, but after a days use it seems a bit crap, this may be due to my very slow internet speed (1.8) on a good day

UPDATE 25/01/2014

Took an hour of tweaking with the picture wizard to get none HD pictures looking natural, the sharpness adjustment was key to this. The sound is best with the voice enhanced setting and the overall sound is very good. I only use my soundbar for films.

I use my universal remote for everything. havn't bothered with the smart TV function

5.0 out of 5 stars great tv, 9 Dec. 2013
Picture vgood,3D vgood Smart Vgood glad I chose this model, Didn't notice silver surround and a white back which is OK

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart stylish and functional it's got it all!, 23 Oct. 2013
K. D. Squire (Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Everyone that's recently been to my house say they can't believe how big my tv is. It's 42 inch which is large but what makes the difference is the lack of a surround it's near edge to edge led display stands out, it's style with well conceived stand and brushed silver finish gives it the style you want.

So style covered, now functionality. What cN I say immersive cinema screen is exactly what it is the picture is precise, clear and as of yet I've not seen any blur from fast sports as with some led tvs. In 2d every day viewing its great even on no had channels. It highlights program quality so if your a fan of the channel gold expect to see some poor quality but that's no fault of the tv it's the fault of the program!

In 3d I've found films to be great but what's immense are the documentaries, the attenbourgh reigns supreme in 3d it comes out to touch you. Sounds is exception even through the built in tv speakers it's crips clear and amazing! You get 4 sets of glasses perfect for the family but you also get 2 sets of gamer glasses which work perfectly too.

Smart functional and stylish. This tv does it all it's built in wifi connectivity opens up a new world to TV. 3d content on demand, web, music streaming and Facebook through your tv. Even pair your iPad up to control YouTube.

Over all the n,y downside is the price 900 quid for a tv is a lot. However with that being said this tv has it all and it's near enou worth the price and might take you talking our better half around for a few weeks before. If you want to know more please email me!

1.0 out of 5 stars Smart TV is really buggy, 14 Oct. 2013
The Smart TV suffers from periodic crashes (once every 15 minutes or so). The smart functionality is also really slow and difficult to use (mostly caused by a lack of documentation by LG for Plex).

The latest issue is that since an update it can no longer play any mp3s.

TV Shows and Movies frequently stop playing half way through.

It could be that I have a faulty set, I guess I will see if it sorts itself out with updates tho..

UPDATE: I missed the return deadline by 2 days for this TV, I tried(tolerated) it for a month and basically said if I still can't stand it after 2 weeks I will return it however I missed my return window so it looks like I'm stuck with it.. Gutted :|

Additional things I have found that help destroy this TVs user experience:

* Adverts on the Smart Screen home page.
* It's crazyyyyyy slow and slow to respond to user requests
* Updates are HUGE 500Mb+ Per week, lazy software developers don't understand diffs obviously.
* Doesn't support non LG webcams
* There is no Picture in Picture
* There is no TV Guide (Yep, no TV guide.. Is your brain still in your skull?)

To make this TV bearable I bought a raspberry Pi so that I don't have to use any of the Smart TV functionality.

TLDR; Smart TV and 3D functionality is a waste of money. This TV is unbelievably bad.

I tend not to leave such negative comments on Amazon but this one product has put me off LG for life. Shame on you LG for screwing consumers over so much.

3.0 out of 5 stars lg tv 42 inch, 18 May 2014
Its a lovely looking tv plenty of colour n sound but it is given off s smell which has yet to disappear.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 29 Nov. 2013
Superb picture and sound is not too bad - but - the internet/wifi function is terribly slow. I've tried both wired and wifi connection and there is no difference. Have cable so 60Mb download but it takes an eternity for the programmes like the internet, you tube, 3D world etc to load. VERY disappointing as I thought it would be lightening fast.
Maybe I bought too early - they need to fine tune the device to be faster - much faster.

3.0 out of 5 stars No more than an LED tv in practice, 25 July 2013
I was disappointed with the extent of "Smartness" that came with the product. From the Which reports I had read, I was expecting a combination of a limited functionality PC and a good LED TV. On the 'smart' side, the documentation provided was skeletal, the communication provision cumbersome and the functionality extremely disappointing. I would have returned the product had my wife not decided that she liked the new tv set! In short, as an HD TV it scores 4 as a smart device it scores 2, hence my 3 star rating.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dedicated Review Required, 25 Nov. 2013
This review is from: LG 60LA740V 60-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD Cinema 3D Smart LED TV with Cinema Screen/Built-In Wi-Fi/Freeview HD (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
None of the quoted reviews are for the LG 60" screen (model LG 60LA620V)- they appear to be for either the 42" or 47" screens. It would be more helpful to prospective buyers to have a review of the actual item you're interested in rather than a "similar" one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful TV, 16 Dec. 2013
Be aware that an LG TV could look good as other brand but they are really NOT what they look like. I'm indeed an unlucky possessor of one LG TV (a smart LA740V series) and got so many issue like:

1) Slow, and when I say slow I mean very frustrating for basic stuff like even changing channel.

2) BBC iplayer do not work despite they say the opposite

3) Youtube is completely useless: to let you get the picture: you press a letter to look up for a video and you have to wait 30 second to be able to type the following one, when a video finally start it will be first the audio and then the video after another 20 seconds. To give you more details: I got a BT infinity 80Mb connection.

4) The wifi connection drop.

In top of that there is something much worse: there is not a real technical support, I sent a very simple question many weeks ago asking about the integrated SAT receiver and I got an answer that I can only classified as embarrassing. TRUST ME, avoid LG, buy something else, this is only a SCAM!.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›