5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Band.
I bought the first King King album on basis that I liked the Nimmo Brothers.
I bought Standing in The Shadows because I liked 'Take My hand'.
From the first listen, I loved this album. It is real quality with great talent. When you have great musical ability with great feel and emotion you have (in my opinion)a Great Band.
All of the tracks are good and I...
Published on 2 April 2013 by ET

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Some very good tracks but slightly disappointed overall.
Published 3 months ago by Clive

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Band., 2 April 2013
This review is from: STANDING IN THE SHADOWS (Audio CD)
I bought the first King King album on basis that I liked the Nimmo Brothers.
I bought Standing in The Shadows because I liked 'Take My hand'.
All of the tracks are good and I guess favourites will vary from person to person. I think that most people who love the blues,especially rhythm and blues will find many favourites on here. Mine is Heavy Load. (It feels like this band have picked up where Free left off) I knew Paul Kossoff for a short time.(Such a nice man). When I hear King King's version of Heavy Load, I think of him. It's a good memory.
This is a great album, don't miss it or King King live.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fanzeyeview, 25 Mar. 2013
Mr. Roger N. Allen "Roger" (Braintree ,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: STANDING IN THE SHADOWS (Audio CD)
A follow up to a successful debut album is never easy even for the more notable artists in the world of music, let alone the artists of the blues scene in UK and Europe. Have King King managed to achieve the standard so highly attained on Take My Hand? Yes I believe they have. This is a more mature offering all around from the quality musicianship to the song-writing and production.

Mixing blues-rock swagger with some sublime laid back grooves, I'm enjoying this album more than the predecessor because of the gained experience of the musicians playing on here, Alan's more assured vocals and guitar, Bennett's delicious keyboards , the award winning class of the rhythm section of Wayne and Lindsay, providing the resolute platform for the songs.

The afore-mentioned swagger comes in the form of album opener `More Than I Can Take' and `One More Time Around' before settling into the glorious Hammond groove of `Taken What's Mine'. The song `What Am I Supposed To Do?' is for me the best work King King have produced, from the scintillating music to Alan's emotional vocals, this song is perfection in its construction and execution.

We have the epic slow burning `A Long History Of Love' with Alan showing guitar skills and singing with heart and soul with Bennett's keys layered in the background beautifully.

Covers of a couple of my all-time favourite artists, Frankie Miller (Jealousy) and Free (Heavy Load) are given the King King treatment and do the upmost justice to the originals. `Can't Keep From Trying' is very commercial sounding with more than a touch of Huey Lewis about it. Alan then gets reflective with `Coming Home (Rest Your Eyes)' before the album closer and gospel tinged `Let Love In' has the Rev Nimmo leading the choir in a celebration of joy.

Take My Hand gave King King a host of awards and mass critical acclaim, Standing In The Shadows could very well achieve the same accolades, they have improved on the formula on every level to create yet another classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Mighty KING KING, 26 Mar. 2013
This review is from: STANDING IN THE SHADOWS (Audio CD)
I have been a follower of King King since their early days, and this, their second album is certainly not a let down!
A couple of very respectable covers on there, and the rest written predominantly by Nimmo/Coulson.
I think compared to first album 'Take My Hand' the new album has a very slightly more mellow and laid back feel to it, but Alan still manages to let rip that amazing guitar to give that King King sound the fans know and love!
The band who work extremely hard, and who deserve to have their music heard, have been championed by Paul Jones from the Blues Band and Radio 2. And hopefully he will give this album the accolaides it deserves and plays some of it on air!!
A Superb album, if you don't know King King, give it a chance, you will be glad you did!!

5.0 out of 5 stars WON'T BE STANDING IN THE SHADOWS FOR LONG !, 25 Mar. 2013
pete clack - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: STANDING IN THE SHADOWS (Audio CD)
Saw King King last December for the first time and the band are simply awesome. They are just so good, lead by Alan Nimmo on guitar & vocals, in both areas he is inb the top mleague, a major talent. Add to that the bass guitarist who was voted the best in 2012's British Blues Awards Lindsay Coulson, plus drummer Wayne Proctor whose also the producer. He's played with the very best of Britain including Ian Parker, Aynsley Lister and Oli Brown, oh and on keys we have Bennett Holland, another great talent. On their first album of mainly original songs they did a cover of Eric Clapton's Pld Love, and it was even better than the original, and I'm a massive EC fan. This new album is going to be hard to better by anyone in 2013, filled with ten tracks of King KIng magic, superbly played and sung. t's hard to pull out a single song because the overall album is just so good throughout. The cover of the Andy Frazer/ Paul Rodgers hit Heavy Love is right on the money and the stunning Coming Home For Your Love shows just what a great voive Alan has, and its full range is superbly on show her, not to mention some excellent fluid guitar work and the whole band gelled so tight tother throughout. Eight of the ten songs are original, and the band were playing some of them when I saw them, in fact they were straight away off to the studio to complete the recording of this set.The first album was superb but this latest sets has set the standard even higher. Though they play the blues their range over these tracks is wide, no two tracks sound alike, its one of those where each song os a pleasure to play again and again. If you buy one album this year do yourself a favour and make it this one,you'll love it in fact get two so when you wear one out you've still got another.
Track listing is:-
1. More Than I Can Take -new song
2.Taken What's Mine- new song
3. A Long History Of love - new song
4. Jealousy (Frankie Miller song)
5. What Am I supposed To Do - new song
6. One Mopre Time Around -new song
7. Can't Keep From Trying - new song
8. Coming Home - new song ( this could well be sng of the year )
9. Heavy Love (Andy Frazer/Paul Rodgers)
10. Let Love In -another new song.
See them live, you can't miss them they wear kilts and are the best export from Scotland in many a year. Let's hear it for King King. An album that will surely be a long time classic, but its right there now....unmissable (shame about the limit if 5 stars, worth at least 10 ,a really great album!0.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait to see them live, 22 Aug. 2013
This review is from: STANDING IN THE SHADOWS (Audio CD)
Another great album - great lead voice, fab guitar and a mix of rock and blues. Not what you normally get from a blues band - deserve the awards they've won.

Can't wait to see them live very soon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, 2 May 2013
G. Rae (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: STANDING IN THE SHADOWS (Audio CD)
Never heard of King King until I bought this CD. Loved it from beginning to end. A couple of stand out tracks for me are, A Long History of Love and Jealousy! Playing this album repeatedly in the car, loving it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Music....buy this you wont be disappointed!!, 23 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Standing in the Shadows (MP3 Download)
WOW WOW....If you enjoy Blues/rock Check out King King their music is immense.

Alan Nimmo's guitar soloing is something to behold, touches you in a way that makes the hair on the back of you neck stand up...the boy can sing bit too backed by three other extraordinary musicians.

Recommend their live performances too (Chester Live Rooms 21 Feb 2015) awesome energy, great lyrics, four truly brilliant musicians who had the place bouncing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome album great blues band got to see king king ..., 5 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Standing in the Shadows (MP3 Download)
Awesome album great blues band got to see king king live and they were superb jealously written by Frank Miller is a class song but there are many on this album if you modern blues you cannot go wrong with king king.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb album, 28 Sept. 2014
This review is from: STANDING IN THE SHADOWS (Audio CD)
A great example of British blues rock, and the best album I have bought all year bar none. I came across this band by chance, after hearing a track on Paul Jones' show on Radio 2, and immediately bought the album. The musicianship is excellent, not least Alan Nimmo's guitar playing - his shredding Les Paul on the second solo in "What am I supposed to do" could cut through sheet steel. I can hear influences from acts as varied as Free/Bad Company, Huey Lewis, Jeff Healey and Chris Rea, but all with a contemporary feel. The production is also first-rate, capturing a live feel very well. I could not recommend this album strongly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars King King - Standing In The Shadows, 19 May 2015
D. J. Wilden "denise7248" (Maidenhead, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: STANDING IN THE SHADOWS (Audio CD)
I saw King King live in London in March 2015, they were tremendous. I got their new album at the gig and this was the only one of the 3 they have released so far that I didn't have. They are an amazing band, winners of the best British Blues band for 3 years running, the albums are brilliant but seeing them live just puts the cherry on the cake. Can't wait to see them live again somewhere. BUY THIS ALBUM AND BUY THE OTHER 2 AS WELL!!!!! If you love blues then you will love King King!!

Standing in the Shadows