Format: MP3 Download|Change

on 13 March 2013
When FM made their comeback after a 12 year hiatus in 2007, it took until 2009 for their first new album in years to be released - and it was worth the wait. Metropolis was something special, and even featured a couple of tracks playlisted by Radio 2, for the first time in their 25 year career.

Now, four years later, the journey continues with Rockville. Not content with just one album, they had so much material that they've recorded two. And they're both knockout.

Melodic, powerful, beautifully produced and with an oustanding sound, every track on Rockville gets a solid 9 or 10 out of 10 from me. The balance of tracks, the light & shade - Steve Overland's voice is as soulful and powerful as ever, and it would be remiss not to mention Jim Kirkpatrick's outstanding lead guitar. Some of his solo work has to be heard to be believed, and fits the songs like a glove.

Crave has had a spin on Radio 2, and is surely the most radio-friendly of all the tracks - the heavier Crosstown Train has been A-listed on Planet Rock.

Rockville I arguably contains the more melodic work, with Rockville II leaning towards the heavier material, but that's not to say that either album is better than the other.

If you've ever heard of FM, or even if you haven't; if you've ever heard anything on Indiscreet, Tough it Out or Metropolis (arguably their best albums), or even if you haven't - if you like melodic rock music with catchy hooks, singalong choruses and the impression of belting along an empty motorway in the summer with the roof down, buy these.

And if you can, catch them out on tour in March. You will not regret it.
on 21 March 2013
This a fabulous album - great songs as always - it is so difficult to pick out fav tracks as they are all of such a high quality - it is fantastic FM got back together and are playing such great new music - each band member plays to the highest of their capabilities - and Steve's voice is massively impressive. - a mighty fine album from a mighty fine band.
on 17 April 2013
FM are one of those bands that, as a loyal long-term, make me feel proud to know their music.

There's infuriatingly catchy sing-along tunes like "My Love Bleeds" and the simple yet heart-string-tugging "Show Me The Way", then just when you think the boys might be getting a little laid back, they lob in the rocking grenade that is "Crosstown Train".

Remember in the most recent Rocky film (Rocky Balboa), where Rocky tells Paulie he "still has stuff in the basement"? Well, crank up this bad boy and revel in the sheer quality of the instrumental and vocal performances - FM still have stuff in THEIR basement! (More like this please, fellas!)

In a nutshell - this'll be on repeat for the rest of Summer!
on 28 October 2013
This is the First FM album I have owned, having bought Rockville II at the same time and listened to This onet for a couple of days before Rockville II arrived. I had never heard the band at all before, save a couple of live videos through their website. I know their new guitarist Jim Kirkpatrick is an outstanding talent so I was reasonably confident that there would be something I'd appreciate in this album. I listened to more rock when I was younger but have had a good 10 years away from this style, so I was not expecting to like it as much as I did. It is honestly quality and enjoyable all the way through, which is all the more surprising given the number of tracks on it. Some are less catchy and anthemic than others but they all have some great demonstrations of music talent in them and I wouldn't call any fillers. I expect FM fans will be delighted with this album, and if you're new to FM but appreciate hearing good musicians, you will like this album. Before I bought this FM was described to me as "classic 80s soft rock, a bit Bon Jovi, all the classic 80s rock aspects you've heard in other bands mashed together into one". That's not a million miles away, but I'd say they're heavier than Bon Jovi, more soaring rock than Pop, and with more empasis on the music than the catchy hooks of the former, although plenty of these tracks are catchy feel good songs. From my perspective it was like the best aspects of many other bands in this genre all in one package. A one stop rock shop.
on 24 May 2013
Brilliant Album , I have to confess this is the first FM album i have bought and only bought it because I love the track "Home bound train" after hearing it on Planetrock radio. FM were penned to be the UK's version of Bon Jovi but for whatever reason it didnt happen. There are a lot of bits on this disk that sound like Def Leppard with the vocals on the chorus but i cant knock that as the Leps are fantastic. Its a good rocking album , good mixture of rocking and softer tunes and a few ballads thrown in also.

Get it bought you know you want to.
on 7 June 2013
I first came across Rockville on Pledge Music, a place where I previously backed another rock band The Union. I thought, I've heard of them in the early 90's, I wanna support this, so I did.

Upon release, I was blown away by the quality of music, songwriting, and Their lead singers powerful rock-soulful voice. Each track is a good 9 or 10 rating, it really is full of quality.

I remember in my youth seeing FM advertised in rock mags, but didn't look much further than that. Ho how I regret not finding these guys music earlier - and they're originally from my hometown too! I will make amends.

Buy this if you love your rock music!
on 22 May 2013
If there was any justice in the world this band would be one of the biggest on the planet,unfortunately whilst the likes of Bon Jovi can release a mediocre album and soar high in charts around the world this class act will pass a lot of people by which is great shame. Full of great songs,superbly played sung and produced this deserves more. Rockville 2 is just as good.
on 18 May 2013
I have loved FM since I first saw them live in the mid 80's and feel Steve Overland has one of the great rock/blues voices and should be held in the same general esteem as Robert Plant, Paul Rodgers and our Lord Coverdale. I spent ten years from 85 following them live (they were never less than magnificent) and playing all their albums to death.It was a sad day in 95 when I heard they were no more.

You can imagine how pleased I was to hear they were coming back. Unfortunately, unlike some other reviewers here, I found comeback album Metropolis a bit disappointing. Of course, there was some good songs but some of the material was a bit hit and miss.

Well, I can happily say FM have their mojo back! More hooks than a fishing competition, Steve Overland singing like his life depends on it and Jim Kirkpatrik's guitar strutting around the place like a peacock on heat. This is already there to be in my albums of the year and can't wait to catch them live again.

If you like you rock melodic and bluesy, you need to own this record. Can't wait to hear Rockville II now.
on 28 August 2013
I would say a stunning return to form, but that is unfair. Their form never went away.

I really enjoy this album, its melodic with just enough 'edge' to it. Crosstown Train, the albums first single isn't, to my mind, the best track on the album - but there really isn't much to choose from - they are all excellent - not a filler in sight. As a bass player, I love the clear bass lines (and kept getting told off for playing along...)

Buy this album, then go see them live. It takes me right back to Edwards Number 8 in Birmingham in the late 80's...but thats another story altogether!
on 11 July 2013
I first came accross FM as support to a reformed Thin Lizzy, at Hammersmith Apollo. Was very impressed with them, and looked out for when they were touring. Managed to see them at Shepherds Bush O2 areana and it was a fantastic gig. Crosstown Train was being played a lot on Planet Rock, and (as others have mentioned) Steve Overland has a great voice, very distinctive, and I often hear them on the radio.
You won't get tired of playing this over and over again.