5.0 out of 5 stars quick, wholesome and healthy
Published on 21 Feb 2008 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Perfect
No pictures. Very good seller. The product Arrived promptly. It's a very good product but there's no pictures, which is for a culinary book I think it's a bit annoying, useful and practical thou. That's what I wanted.
Published 11 months ago by Marcilio

5.0 out of 5 stars quick, wholesome and healthy, 21 Feb 2008
This is one of the main books I use for weekday cooking - the recipes are easy, quick to prepare and make use of ingredients that you have in your cupboard or fridge. Don't expect sensational and spectacular dinner party solutions in here, because this is not the book to wow your guests with; however, it does result in healthy, hearty recipes that taste very good and nutritious in a traditional, simple sort of way, perfect for the weekday cook who does not have 3 hours to whip up a meal. This isn't a book with long lists of ingredients - in fact, its simplicity of ingredients and seasonings is just what I like about it. On those nights when your fridge is empty and the shop is closed or you just can't be bothered to go to one, this book will provide you with numerous suggestions on what you can do with your last remaining egg and 3 leaves of lettuce.

Another thing I really like about this book are the various variations that the author provides for every recipe, as well as the countless suggestions for alternative products that could be used instead. Nearly every recipe has suggestions about other vegetables or grains that could be used instead, and a list of variations which are easily accomplished by tweaking with the ingredients a little bit and allowing you to be flexible with your ingredients.

And finally it is refreshing to see a wide range of Mexican and South American dishes feature widely in this recipe book. I find that British recipe books contain many suggestions for curries and other Middle Eastern foods, but not enough of cuisines from other parts of the world. With his knowledge of Mexican influences on American food, Bittman provides you with many ideas for corn, beans, quinoa, spelt, tortillas etc, and so there is always something new, unusual, and original to try. Plenty of fantastic ideas if you like experimenting with unusual, healthfood-shop foods.

Some people might be put off by the complete lack of illustrations, but the preparation is so easy that you don't need photos to tell you what to do! This is a fantastic collection of hundreds of quick, healthy and tasty recipes from around the world which I would recommend to anyone who likes to experiment in the kitchen and try out new flavours.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book - good for vegans too!, 7 April 2010
Helen Morris (Worcester, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book as I've been a vegetarian for 9 months now and was getting rather fed up with the same old things week in, week out. While I can put together a decent cake or roast (veggie of course!) dinner, I have no imagination as a cook. That is where this book comes in. Not only does it offer hundreds of delicious recipes, it also provides tons of information on the majority of ingredients including offering ideas for use that don't involve a recipe as such. There are plenty of charts to help decide what to do with things, lots of ideas for adapting a basic recipe to your taste and diagrams to show you the best way to prepare things such as onions. I've made quite a few recipes already. While I expect to modify them a little to my exact taste, I kind of think that this is the whole point of the book and at least it gives me ideas to modify them. Not that they are bad recipes to start with - they have been very enjoyable exactly as they are. Having also been vegan for a brief stint, I stopped in part because it was so difficult to find an easy cook book to cater. This book gives ideas for adapting many recipes for a vegan diet and also has a chart in the back pages to help you find vegan recipes with ease. If I could suggest one improvement, it would be a conversion chart from Fahrenheit to Celsius along with the (very useful!) measurement conversion charts at the beginning. But it's a very, very small point and doesn't detract from an otherwise excellent book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, I salute you Mark!, 18 Sep 2012
Wow, if you want to learn how to cook any vegetable (as well as various types of grains, eggs and cheeses) then this book will contain everything you need to know. The title says it all really. This book is a massive compendium of techniques, information and recipes. It is written in such a way that you get a feel for the author's down to earth personality and he encourages you to experiment too. There are many variations of each recipe and lots and lots of suggestions for what to serve each thing with, what goes well with what, and to top it all off, they are easy to make too, many meals only require a few ingredients which are easy to find. If you are a vegan, there are tips for how to veganise as well as many inherently vegan recipes.

So, if you wanted to know how to make a fritter, how to braise something, grill something, chop, steam, bake, roast, fry....the technique will be explained clearly. If you got chard in your veg box and got stuck for what to do, there would be a simple recipe for cooking it. If you want inspiration for making a soup, there are tons of suggestions to help you find the right one to suit your mood. I can't explain how BIG this book is and how much knowledge is contained within it.

If you want a book full of glossy pictures and fancy dinner party recipes this isn't for you, but if you want a really excellent reference book to learn about different foods and techniques, with hundreds of recipes that are simple and tasty for everyday use, then you will like this. It's a bit like going on a cookery course when you read this! Very useful to add to my already enormous collection of cookbooks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really very useful, and an enjoyable read!, 20 Dec 2009
E. Howarth (Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
I enjoy reading most of the many cookbooks I own, but it's rare for me to to have made more than two recipes from any of them. Okay, I've only made about five directly from this one, but it's inspired me to experiment with ingredients I hadn't touched before, and give ones I'd dismissed previously a second try.

This is probably the most useful all round cookbook I own at the moment. Vegan desserts are under-represented, but otherwise it's very good for vegan dishes too, suggesting alterations in many cases. There is something for everyone in here though, it'd be a useful addition to any kitchen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great vegetarian cookery book for all cooks., 1 Nov 2013
Excellent and would certainly recommend it. Have also bought one as a Christmas present for a friend. All the recipes explained in detail. Lots of hints and tips.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 2 Oct 2013
Started out with Mark Bittman's VB6 & swiftly decided to branch out. This was the obvious choice. Zillions of recipes/variations many of which encompass vegan eating. I can't think I really need his How to cook everything but I'm tempted.

'

4.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for., 26 Aug 2013
I am not a vegetarian, but having made the decision to only eat organic meat and fish and to reduce the actual quantity eaten, vegetarian meals recipes are needed. I have made the Falafel so far (baked it instead of frying), and it was delicious, despite it being my first cooking them :)

5.0 out of 5 stars inspiration, 26 Aug 2009
suzanna geens (belgium) - See all my reviews
This is the perfect book if you are at a loss what to do with your veggies.

3.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 7 Nov 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars Npthing Inspiring!, 22 Dec 2013
Ok, so there are seemingly endless recipes in this book but I really don't like it much. There are so many things crammed in it that I just find it hard to be inspired! I bought this book well over a year ago along with Hugh Fearnly Wittenstall's Vegetarian cooking book and while the latter is dog eared, covered in food stains and loved so much, I can honestly say that I have not cooked a single recipe from this book, which looks brand new! Its not that i haven't looked at it, I have, but to me its more of a 'how to cook' book rather than a 'what to cook' book. I also get really annoyed that everything is in the imperial system and I am living in Europe and so only own metric scales. When I look in a cook book I want to see a nice picture of something that I can get my taste buds ready for then cook it, not look at something that looks like the inside of a ads page in a newspaper! Sure I could get something out of it though if I could bring myself to get over the lack of presentation!