5.0 out of 5 stars Not Like Any Other Self-Improvement Book
Published on 31 May 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars A lot of useful info but less God please!
Why is that nearly every self-help book these days is written by an American? Maybe we're too embaressed here in the UK. Anyway, this book is very useful. It underlined and brought to my attention many parts of my personality I didn't have the ability to put into words. It's definitely helped me with my problem. My only complaint is that the author spends quite a lot...
Published on 8 Aug 2000 by Bruce Attenborrow

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Like Any Other Self-Improvement Book, 31 May 1999
By A Customer
This book saved my sanity, my relationship, maybe even my life. I was going through major upsets in my relationship due to a partner's addiction. I was trying to "fix the world" one painful day at a time. When nothing happened except for me to lose hope, trust, faith and love, I turned to a friend for advice. She recommended this book to me. I was skeptical to try yet another DO IT YOURSELF book to fix what was wrong with me, but this one opened my eyes. For the first time ever, I saw the patterns of my actions leading me straight to heartache and frustration. The descriptions were right on target, I saw myself in every list. It was scary, yet encouraging, because I did not feel alone, nor did I feel I was too far gone to be helped. This book will be a fixture on my nightstand to get me through the weaker points in my life. Whenever I need to take a reality check and think of ME instead of that other person, I open the pages and let it heal me. Thank you, Ms. Beattie!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read & helpful info, 19 Jan 2010
I am not an alcoholic, nor do I live with one. But I am a control freak and the tools in this book have helped me detach from the crazy stuff that is in our heads and to apply the lessons taught here. If you can move on from the references to alcoholism and apply the messages in your own circumstances, I thoroughly recommend the read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Buy, 1 April 2001
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This book is written by an American because American's pioneered the Twelve Step Programme and the AA, Al-Anon and NA programmes that this book deals with along with most other issue based programmes that deal with co-dependency. It talks about "God" and a "Higher Power" because that is what the 12 Steps are based on. It takes pains to iterate that the "God" is of your understanding and just means a power greater than yourself and if you choose to make that a coffee table, a plant, or anything else it is up to you. It is about empowering your own life and looking after yourself to the best of your abilities and it is a helpful and practical guide that allows you to be gentle and loving to yourself. I recommend it without reservation for anyone suffering from any kind of codependency problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, 19 July 2009
An extremely insightful text and written in such a way as to be useful to anyone concerned about codependency. I would have no hesitation in recommending this book. There is a lot packed in here. It's a generally good read for anyone interested in human social interaction.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST READ!!, 3 Feb 2008
H. Shaw (Nottingham) - See all my reviews
I found this book when i was in the most difficult experience of my life.

I could not understand why bad things always happened to me? what was wrong with me? Why did people treat me badly?

I took this book at face value thinking that if i took just one thing from it, it would be worth the purchase.

I began reading and got through the first two chapters and i cried for every page because i had finally found that it was not only me that felt the way i felt.

At that moment i realised i had to follow the book and do the things it suggested i did, some of the things were difficult but i did them with a little time and patience.

I am now feeling much better and would recommend this read to anyone experiencing difficulties which they are finding hard to overcome.

It was the biggest thing in my life to realise i am co-dependent and this book heled me regain my self worth and move forward with my life.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book was the jump start to my journey in recovery., 28 July 1999
By A Customer
I finally found out that I had the right to be happy. I also learned that I was powerless over people, places, and things. I can't express what a differenc this book made in my life. Since reading it I have continued to read the other books Melody has written. "Language of Letting Go" is a must for anyone who has read "Codependent No More". I have given it away five times. I'm forever grateful to Melody for her honesty and the gift she continues to give away everyday.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most important book I have ever read, 12 Dec 2001
By A Customer
For years and years I struggled with the problem I was having not knowing what the problem was. Whilst reading this book the light began to slowly be switched on and I was horrified, - this was me!
The author leads you slowly and carefully through the issues involved in being a 'co-dependant' and of course not all of them fit, but rather too many for comfort.
The one down side I would say is the book didn't really leave me with a positive direction to take and I felt a little desperate. But I intend to read more and get healed!! Well worth the read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! What a book!, 6 July 1999
By A Customer
After reading just a few pages of this book, I realized that my life was about to change. Finally, I could identify with people who experienced life as I know (knew) it! Anyone in a relationship, no matter what type, should read this book- even if they don't think they have codependency issues!

5.0 out of 5 stars Codependent no More, 11 May 2009
Ms. Cm Grivot (UK) - See all my reviews
This book is a great help regarding getting self-help from a co-dependent's point of view.
It is enlightening gives you exercises to do at the end of the chapters to help you progress through your recovery as it can be viewed as an illness and is not only about people living with alcoholics and drug addicts, it also shows that people like you and me who look like they have normal lives can be codependents.
It is realitic and gives lots of examples.
It is well written.
Very pleased

5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed my life, 6 Jun 1999
By A Customer
I read this book 10+ years ago and it did change my life and start me on the road of personal freedom and autonomy. It is among the definitive books on relationships