5.0 out of 5 stars Happiness Waltzed in the Room...
Published on 6 April 2013 by MarkP

3.0 out of 5 stars Re-visiting earlier stuff?
Bought Josh's new album with fairly high expectations having enjoyed his recent 'Spanish' era. Fraid this rather disappoints. It feels like a re-visiting of '1972' (but without edge) and as though our man is treading water. It's not at all bad and the songs are pleasant, very nicely performed and, as always, the production is up to Josh's high standards. It's just not a...
Published 22 months ago by P. Holden

5.0 out of 5 stars Happiness Waltzed in the Room..., 6 April 2013
This review is from: The Happiness Waltz (Audio CD)
Josh's last few albums haven't been quite up to the standard of his best two: 'Nashville' and '1972' and I was beginning to lose interest in the later releases. This album however proves that he is back to his best. It has a mix of ballads, upbeat rock songs and songs that could be played in the 70's. There isn't a single track that I would skip - all of them are fantastic! 'Julie (Come Out of the Rain)' has a contrast of eerie guitar chords and a heart warming chorus which opens this album perfectly. 'Simple Pleasure' has an excellent guitar riff during the whole song, 'It's Good to Have You' is a very relaxing song and makes you feel that you're on a cruise to the Caribbean. 'City People City Things', 'This Movies's Way Too Long' and 'Our love' sound like they have come from the album '1972' ('Our Love' having expert flute fills which is common in '1972'). 'A lot Like Magic' is my favourite song on the album because of the wonderful saxophone harmonies throughout the song and an exceptional vocal performance from Josh Rouse, it's just perfect. 'Start Up a Family', 'The Western Isles' and 'Purple and Beige' all have great guitar playing especially Purple and Beige. 'The Ocean' transports you to the gleaming smoothness of the sea and 'The Happiness Waltz' could have been placed in a 1930's film and it has awesome piano playing!

This album (as the title suggests) makes you feel happy and warm when you listen to it and I could play it over and over again without getting bored of it! Overall then, it's the second best album Josh has done, still not as good as 'Nashville' but I don't think he will ever beat that cracker! I would recommend this album to everyone even if you've never heard of Josh Rouse as it's just fabulous. I strongly advise you to click 'Add to Basket' now!!! :)

Wil P (age 14)

5.0 out of 5 stars One of his best!, 2 May 2013
C. Taylor (Flintshire) - See all my reviews
I'm a fan of Josh's music since discovering him a few years back, each album has been a joy to listen to and I find myself playing them more than any other artist. He's one of those people where I just keep wondering how the hell does he keep releasing such great material, surely it's got to run out? Some people aren't as keen on his later Spanish influenced work compared to his earlier stuff. Myself, I enjoy both periods equally. So where does this album fit in?

Early blurb revealed Josh has gone back to his roots, more 1972 than El Turista and that is mainly the case. As others have said on here, this album could be a lost gem from the 70's, it just has that feel to it, and I'm talking rose tinted 70's, all sunny days and good times. The songs just jump out at you and will just keep going around in your head. I can actually hear a lot of his later style amongst the 70's sound and to me this album feels like someone is torn between two worlds, his life in Valencia and his home country, in fact he says as much in 'Our Love' and I'm pretty sure a couple of other times throughout the album. This to me has the effect of Josh going back to his roots but having that something else to bring to his music and it pays off hugely.

It's pointless picking stand out tracks as each on is a gem, they're all standouts. If you haven't heard any of Josh's previous albums (you have missed out if that's the case) then this album is the perfect time to get into his music and I can guarantee from there you'll do as I did a few years back and get your hands on his back catalogue...and be blown away. If there's one thing I can say about Josh it's that his music really is an absolute joy to listen to. Now go out and buy it....and to keep with the 70's vibe, go buy yourself a record deck and order this on vinyl.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nail hit successfully on head, 9 April 2013
Androo (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Happiness Waltz (Audio CD)
Like many of you, I have a natural affection for 1972 and Nashville, though some of Josh's other stuff is equally good. But I never thought we would get as complete and coherent an album as this one. Normally I have to decide pretty quickly which six songs on the album I'm going to delete from my iPod, but so far, every one survives, and I have a feeling it's going to stay that way.
What's not to like? Every song is catchy and tuneful. Every song has those 'instant classic' lyrics that are so simple yet so 'rounded' and perfect. Every song is just beautifully produced and arranged. I just want to listen to it over and over again.
Of course it all sounds like it could have been recorded in 1972, and some may say that it would've been nice to see some kind of evidence that we've moved on a few years. But I'm not so sure. Rooted in the 1970s it may be, but it doesn't sound in any way dated. No doubt the over-used but here entirely appropriate word I'm looking for is 'timeless'.
It's hard to pick out a favourite track since they're all so good, but I would probably single out Good To Have You In My Life, which has an extra quality of quirkiness to it that elevates it very slightly above all the other great songs.
This new album from Josh Rouse propels him into a higher league in my mind. What next?

5.0 out of 5 stars A little beauty of an album., 19 Mar. 2013
Robin (West Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Happiness Waltz (Audio CD)
This is a wonderful return to Josh's best form. This album is full to the brim with songs that are warm, thoughtful, joyous, crafted and intoxicating. His last few albums have been rather patchy with a few gems on each, though ultimately unsatisfying, but this album oozes melodic charm (sometimes bittersweet) all the way through. For example, the track 'Simple Pleasure' is just that - and aptly sums up Josh's understated style. 'Our Love' will have you reaching for a loved one to hug. 'Start up a family' will have you .... well you get the idea. Tracks like 'The Ocean' and 'The Happiness Waltz' on the other hand, are deftly tinged with light touches of melancholy. The whole thing is an exquisitely balanced and rounded album of the like we don't often see these days.

Josh is one of the most underrated song-smiths of current times. If you are not familiar with his work this album is an excellent place to jump on board.

5.0 out of 5 stars So I bought "The Happiness Waltz". It is a great album for sitting ..., 16 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Happiness Waltz (MP3 Download)
Josh Rouse has been around for ages - but I confess, I had not heard of him until one of his songs -"Michigan" was on the radio. So I bought "The Happiness Waltz". It is a great album for sitting back and relaxing -lots of light and shade. He reminds me of Paul Simon or Bread. If you like chilling out -listen to this!

5.0 out of 5 stars I do agree with the comments about 1972 and Nashville being great LPs but has no one heard Under Cold Blue ..., 5 April 2015
This review is from: The Happiness Waltz (Audio CD)
This really is a return to form. Every song just hits the spot. A proper artist who should get a lot more credit. I do agree with the comments about 1972 and Nashville being great LPs but has no one heard Under Cold Blue Stars?? Now that is an album to track down and listen to. Can't wait for the new one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Stuff!, 21 May 2013
This review is from: The Happiness Waltz (Audio CD)
Nashville bowled me over. It was wonderful, a breath of fresh air, and I stayed true to Josh Rouse as I waited for another bunch of songs as good. Alas it was a long wait but now there is good news.

With the release of 'The Happiness Walz' Josh is back on form and has produced a bunch of happy, bouncy, well written songs to see in the Summer.

Thanks Josh I always knew you could do it, now go do it again but please do it sooner rather than later.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful ... must buy!, 11 May 2013
B. Kielty "Red Rocker" (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Happiness Waltz (Audio CD)
Josh returns to a more traditional sound somewhere between 1972 and Nashville. This one is a slow burner that just gets better with every listen. The guy can do no wrong whether it be experimental light jazz, Mediterranean, soft rock, pop and subtle country vibes. He deserves to shake off his cult status and reach the masses!

5.0 out of 5 stars Long Vacation is finally over, 5 May 2013
This review is from: The Happiness Waltz (MP3 Download)
It's been a long couple of years but Josh Rouse is back on track, back from the sun and doing what he does best. A welcome return to the range and quality of songs, that was last heard on 1972 and Nashville. The spanish adventure sounds a great idea and we'd all love to have been along for the ride but the idyllic life seems to have taken the edge off the songs. A couple of false dawns and a few flashes of past greatness but no finished article. Now Josh sounds like he's back home and the guy is back on form. Maybe the harshness and the cold of the city was what was needed? Good to have Josh Rouse back and get over to the UK please (nice and cold most of the time).

5.0 out of 5 stars Vintage Rouse.., 25 April 2013
This review is from: The Happiness Waltz (Audio CD)
A true return to form from one of my favourite artists. Like many, I had reservations regarding the direction Josh was going in following his last few offerings. The spanish influenced stuff, albeit admirably ambitious, was not really to my taste. That's not to say it was bad though. The Happiness Waltz reminds me why I became a Josh Rouse fan. Simple yet very well structured songs which stay fresh no matter how many times you listen to them. All the best memories from your favourite holidays come rushing back when you listen to these songs, even though you weren't listening to them at the time. He has a knack of doing that.

If you like Under Cold Blue Stars, Nashville, 1972 or Subtitulo, chances are you'll love this album. Really, you should buy it.

The Happiness Waltz