4.0 out of 5 stars Space Operatic War proportions
This book is well written with the main characters well developed. The main character is Marten Kluge who struggles under oppression and over the course of the book develops and finds out more of himself.
Published on 12 Dec 2010 by M. Thompson

3.0 out of 5 stars Was surprised by the publication date
On reading this I was reminded of the SF from the 70's and was surprised when I found it had been written recently. The style is very matter of fact as I find SF of that era was, also there was a lack of explanation of why and how.

Published on 19 Feb 2011 by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Space Operatic War proportions, 12 Dec 2010
M. Thompson "Mike Thompson" (London) - See all my reviews
Marten Kluge was born around Mercury, within an oppressed society. He and his parents fight to free themselves with Marten ending up in Australia living in an underground city. Martin continually struggles against the system: Thought Police hound him; he lives like an ant and questions, through his actions, those in power. The Highborn attack and conquer the city, freeing Marten from one oppression but lands him in the Highborn military machine - fighting for the wrong side!
For me, the book started well, concentrating on the main character, however I felt the move into explaining the war and the various high commanders on both sides (the Highborn and Earth (communist party called Social Unity)) detracted from the more interesting story of Marten.
If I had not read in the book description that the Highborn were "created in the gene labs as super soldiers" I would not have understood for some time why the Highborn were superior to the standard Homo sapiens. I felt that a little more description around how the Highborn came about would have enhanced the story.
I had to suspend my belief that there could be so much weaponry available to both sides (despite the abundance of raw materials within the asteroids in the Solar System), and the massive preparations for war that the Social Unity party had made - the military preparations seemed to be many orders of magnitude than during our own world's Cold War.
Despite all of the above, the book was enjoyable - the four stars are simply due to my preference in what I want in a story. For those who enjoy the strategy of large, planetary scale wars, then this may well be a page-turner for you.
For Kindle readers: the book is worth the investment in time in reading. There were a few typos that did not detract from the reading (unlike some other Kindle books available currently).

3.0 out of 5 stars Was surprised by the publication date, 19 Feb 2011

The writing style was IMHO unpolished with lots of grammatical and other errors, often requiring repeated reading of a sentence before deciding it made no sense.

I sort of enjoyed reading it but wont be reading the rest of the series.

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow starting but a surprisingly enjoyable tale, 28 Feb 2011
When I started reading this novel I was convinced that I was going to write it off as a two star book. The opposing factions are generic and are diametrically opposed in an exaggerated, clichéd manner which robbed me of the sense of belief that they could ever have been 'one nation'. The characters themselves are one dimensional and can come across as wooden at times. Dialog as well is frequently stilted and feels awkward.

The biggest surprise for me then was when I actually really got into the book. The combat scenes were tremendous fun. The space combat not as much as the land combat, it would have been better if the actual physics had been omitted. I felt that the detail detracted from the sense of realism significantly as several concepts put forward are just plain wrong using our current understanding of science. Otherwise I enjoyed it quite a bit in the end. I will be buying the second book in the series and would encourage people who have bought this novel to stick it out to the latter half and give it a chance. It sets up the second book well.

So with that, I am giving it three stars, I would probably have rounded up to three and a half stars had Amazons review system allowed it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Story good, ideological standpoint questionable., 17 July 2014
This is a good series, but mainly from an entertaining point of view. The author is, in my opinion, using extremes of social organisation to make almost any other position look more appealing. I suspect the author is American, because democracy is not made fun of and the main character's view on freely available weaponry, expressed later in the series.

That aside, I enjoyed the series. There are very few main characters, which makes the action easy to follow, character development is there, and believable in scale due to the timescales involved. My favourite is Osadar Di. Keep an eye out for her, as I think her struggle is more difficult and human than the main character, Marten Kluge.

The author does a good job trying to stick to a believable universe, but this makes the story of the main character less believable. After reading books written by George R.R. Martin and Robin Hobb, having a character make it through such improbable sequences unscathed time after time points out the unreality of the story.

Some other minor niggles: The proofreading and editing could have been better, and degrades through the series (tenent instead of tenet sticks in my mind), and some phrases become slightly repetitive.

All in all, it was good, but I disliked the undertone of "freedom bought at the point of a sword", and the parodying of other forms of government to the extreme.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rip roaring sci fi, 24 Jan 2012
5 stars cos this author is now on my 'buy everything list'.
Well written, straight forward plots but enjoyable. I've read books 1 through 5 in the past week. Eager for more!

3.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly... not bad., 23 July 2011
There's something about this series and I can't put my finger on it. They read like debut novels, and I suspect that Mister Heppner's not going to improve his writing style any time soon, but that doesn't make them bad stories. Far from it. Isaac Asimov couldn't write for toffee, but he had imagination and wit and that was good enough. Heppner's in a similar boat, his writing's not great, but it's good enough to allow you to forget the slightly clumsy, amateurish prose and just enjoy the story, because story is something that Mister Heppner does very well. There are a lot of rough edges here and the proofreader should be shot, but despite the shortcomings these are reasonably well-crafted stories that are a lot of fun to read. They're like a grown up version of the Saturday morning cartoons, a boys' own adventure series that isn't actually for kids. Give them a try, don't go in expecting the new Iain M. Banks and you won't be disappointed. Heppner deserves to be read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Escapism, 18 May 2011
Many thanks to the author for all four of these books centreing around Martin Kluge. They are very easy to read, very engaging and can definitely be firmly put in the 'page turner' category. The other reviews give a good account of the stories and themes that run through the books so all I would like to add is: Where is number 5 Mr. Heppner?

Many thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Doomstar a Rip Roaring Read, 15 May 2011
I've read the four books of the series, it's page turning high paced scifi, which I enjoyed immensely. I'm hoping the author completes the series.

I

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not put it down went through all 4 books, 3 April 2011
Really enjoyed the read brought just to get myself back into science fiction books. Enjoyed book one so much soon had the three books down loaded to my kindle, hope there will be book 5 to continue the story Marten Kluge.

4.0 out of 5 stars Smart sci-fi at a bargain price, 2 April 2011
K. Sandbach (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
Intelligent & gripping - highly recommended for anyone who likes sci-fi to feel realistic instead of trying to boldly go where the laws of physics are too inconvenient to apply.

The series tells of the adventures of Marten Kluge as he finds his way from place to place within the solar system, struggling against adversity every step of the way. Initially he is trying to escape the oppression of the political system adopted by humanity amongst Earth and the inner planets; later he finds himself dragged into a war between mainstream humans and a rebellious off-shoot of humanity, the genetically engineered & generally superior Highborn; later still he finds himself up against an even tougher foe (I won't say any more to avoid spoilers).

This is not a story with exaggerated technology able to mysteriously jump between the stars & conveniently teleport people from place to place - all the action takes place in our solar system & with genuine attention to the practicalities of getting from A to B & how things work. It's easy to forget just how BIG our solar system is when reading & watching most sci-fi, and just how much scope there is for events to unfold between the planets, moons, & other bodies we have "locally".

There are plenty of influences from other sci-fi folklore, which adds another level to reading this series as you spot this or that influence of other stories. I don't know if this is intentional by the author or not, but either way it added to the enjoyment for me.

Bottom line - a great read for a minimal price tag. Buy the first book and see what you think - even if you don't like it, you've spent less than for a cup of coffee.