5.0 out of 5 stars Another gem
Published on 1 May 2013 by uk_chris

1.0 out of 5 stars leaping to and fro doesn't make a lot of sense!
now then,
what's this band all about?
there is no consistency here!
the singer jars on my ears & nerves alike.
the only good psych piece is:
Homemade Traditional Electric Jam.
but what about the rest?
all this acoustic/pop baloney interspersed with a good psych-track.
a fickle band that doesn't know which way to go...
Published 5 months ago by George

5.0 out of 5 stars Another gem, 1 May 2013
This review is from: White Numbers (Audio CD)
It's not often I have items on pre-order from Amazon, I'm not really an early adopter. Every so often I check to see whether The Bevis Frond have anything new pending and so when White Numbers appeared I put down the cash! I have been listening to the BF since 1990 and have pretty much everything to date. I think fellow fans will highlight the lengthy instrumental and may talk about a return to form as if somehow recent albums have been less good than Auntie Winnie, Triptych, Superseeder, New River Head etc. I've enjoyed each album as it's come along in it's own right. Yes I love some of the early Frond stuff but I don't want 20+ albums of the same thing.

I've listened to this 3 times now and it's a great album and as good as anything to date on these 3 'listens' and I'm pretty sure it will become a Top 5 Bevis Album for me - so it is that good. Plenty of variety, several very high points (Dead Weight, The Hook, The Garden Feature), nothing weak or disappointing.

Of course that 42 minute instrumental cannot be passed by without comment................. loved it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic, 27 Jun. 2013
This review is from: White Numbers (Audio CD)
Purchased this morning - played all day. Great tunes, interesting words & blistering guitar make me a very contented man. The first track alone is worth the price of admission.

If an album of this quality was released by, I dunno, Paul Weller say, it would be praised to high heaven by one and all. As it is, it's down to us to spread the word. C'est la vie vieil homme. Buy it and be happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars astounding!, 11 May 2013
This review is from: White Numbers [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Yes, I`m biased as I`ve been listening to Mr Saloman since the 1980`s, but by crikey this is one superb album.
A fantastic mix of typically Bevis thoughtful songs interspersed with great heavier numbers.
The best IMHO is kept for last with a fantastic jam taking place over two sides of vinyl, akin to Acid Jam of old, but if anything more structured.
There is some brilliant hammond playing by the frond, and Mr Simmons guitar is on fire, assisted by a driving rythm section that Hendrix wouldnt have been ashamed of.

The leaving of London was an excellent album, this I think set the bar even higher.
How can a bunch of blokes well into middle age sound this good?

Easily, they have lost none of the fire in their bellies and their consummate skill as musicians shines through along with Nick`s undiminished songwriting ability.

Destined to be a classic.
The only thing is, this national treasure deserves more recognition.
Spread the word and buy this album.
If we are lucky, the old boy will keep making them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 3 Jun. 2013
J. Payne (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: White Numbers (Audio CD)
Bevis Frond on tip top form. Great melodies and amusing lyrics. For all those who love a guitar break/jam this cd is a must. Consummate performers!

5.0 out of 5 stars nick`s a genius, 5 Nov. 2013
This review is from: White Numbers (Audio CD)
played most of cd so far in car (cd player in house playing up) very enjoyable. Nick saloman and rest of band play their music to suit most styles of rock music with great ease, no duff tracks on either cd, but as other reviewers claim last track on cd2 "homemade traditional electric jam" is 42 mins of class. I wonder in my own opinion is nick saloman the british frank zappa (very experimental-but good with it). Buy with confidence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great new Album, 8 Oct. 2013
This review is from: White Numbers (Audio CD)
Wonderful work from The Bevis Frond. Nick and the guys have really got it together on this one, and the album length jam is simply mesmerising.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 4 Oct. 2013
This review is from: White Numbers (Audio CD)
Nick Saloman just gets better. After 20 plus ground breaking albums he, along with his excellent band, have delivered the classic CD of 2013. Just buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nick Saloman....the nearly man of Countdown., 5 July 2013
This review is from: White Numbers [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Ok, the appearance with Richard Whiteley was a surprising bonus (although the hairy one didn't quite cut the mustard). I digress before I even start, so onto the man's music. I never managed to get hold of much of the early Woronzow vinyls....oh how I wish I had.... Triptych, Inner Marshland and Miasma...... wonderful and different..... then through the years, Any Gas Faster, The Aunty Winnie album etc. etc etc..... New River Head was my first vinyl, followed by that Twink co-op and Beatroots. Point is that I have always been a Frond man. Now this.....

...a blinder of a triple album with some of Nick's finest efforts. I don't intend citing individual offerings (bar one), as they kick the excitement brain particles as the early stuff did. On the LOUD tracks, there are elements of Dinosaur Jr. yet overall everything has the Saloman stamp of quality and my seal of approval.

SO....aforementioned one track..... Homemade Electric Jam. A 42 minute workout over 2 sides of blisteringly hot wax.... all my Desert Island Disc choices rolled into one. The best thing is that the vinyl comes with Autorip, so this jewel can be heard without any break in the seam. Am listening to it now.

Was that OK Nick ? When do I get paid ? :o) Joke. A truly truly great album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Psych, punk, pop, ballads...but conveys a consistency of sound over two hours, 8 Jan. 2015
This review is from: White Numbers (Audio CD)
I knew little about this band until I saw them play a blistering show at Glastonbury 2014, and I bought White Numbers on the back that performance. If you are looking for an album of relentless heavy psychedelic rock, then this may not be for you. The album is a mixture of ballads, pop rock, classic rock, punk and heavier psych rock, but it still conveys a great consistency of sound over two hours. I love the unrestrained guitar solos and the timeless and emotional feel of the record - often reminding me one my favourite bands, Dinosaur Jr. My favourite track is "I'm The Only One"

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CD, 16 July 2014
SKI (Glos, UK) - See all my reviews
One of their best

White Numbers
White Numbers by Bevis Frond (Audio CD - 2013)