Format: Kindle Edition|Change

I managed to get my copy of this book when it was free on Kindle and what made me click this one was the lovely cover and also the title as I run a beauty salon so 12 hours a day my life is spent in the salon so it sounded like a book I could relate to. The Spa Day is a very light and easy read which only took me an hour to finish so this is the ideal read if you are looking for something to read on a commute to work. The storyline was quite basic with Holly spending three days in a luxurious spa to get ready to look the best she can for the Christmas period which she is spending with partner Clive and his family. Clive works in Hong Kong so the couples time together is very rare and having this break and having more than enough time on her hands, thoughts start in Holly's mind about her relationship with Clive.

The one thing that is detailed well in this book is the bamboo massage, something that I found myself googling after reading this book as the author made this feel like heaven and so I quite fancy one myself! It is a very far-fetched read not a storyline anyone I would imagine could relate to, having said that the book was still a read that had me clicking through the pages so although it isn't one that will leave a lasting impression it is still one that I would recommend if someone is looking for a short breezy read but I must admit I would'nt pay the listed price for it.
on 21 March 2013
I've recently become a big fan of chick lit novellas - too many of the doorstop sized chick lit books are full of repetition and reading them is like trying to wade through treacle. Novellas cut out all the boring stuff and get striaght to the point. This is one of the best I've read so far. Holly, the main character, is stuck in one of those 'how did I get here?' relationships with a bit of a rat who actually lives and works in Hong Kong, with the assumption that Holly will be waiting for him when he gets back (whenever that will be). It seems like her life is being planned for her and there's nothing she can do about it. It's during a three day break in a posh health farm that she begins to think about her life, particularly when she encounters the awful Rebecca, an older woman who Holly can see herself turning into in the future, if she's not careful. I actually have read this twice so far and am considering a third time very soon. It's well-written, funny and well worth the money (you can't go wrong for the price!). Great!
This is a fantastic, well written little chick-lit novella which I read in the run up to Christmas, when it was titled "Christmas Without Holly". It focusses on Holly who has booked herself in for three days at a swish health spa to fortify and beautify herself in readiness to spend Christmas with her fiancé Clive, with whom she has a long term relationship as he is working in Hong Kong, and his parents. The author's characters are absolutely wonderful, in particular Rebecca - the sort of larger than life, flighty, flirty person you would duck into the nearest shop to avoid in real life. Holly's break from routine gives her time to really consider for the first time her lifestyle and relationship with Clive - Is it what she wants? Can he be trusted? Does she really want to end up like Rebecca in another 10 years?

A very light hearted, easy to read story - highly recommended.
on 27 May 2013
I really enjoyed reading this book which I took to read on my holiday, but tbh I can't really remember it - maybe because it was a short story (only 70 pages) and I've read other books since. But I would still recommend it as a nice little read.
on 22 May 2013
I paid £1.99 for this book and didn't realise how short it was, feel a wee bit cheated by it....

The story itself was nice, ticked over but it wasn't very engaging. I wouldn't recommend this I'm afraid.
on 5 June 2013
This is one of those books that just moves along nicely, with no real major dramas, no major events. Just a really relaxing read (as relaxing as being at a Health Farm, I suppose!). It moves along nicely, taking the reader through Holly's thoughts during her pre-Christmas stay at a spa. As a heroine, Holly is remarkably normal. She is a nurse - not a super rich cliché, as you might normally find in a lot of these kinds of books. She is someone that most women can identify with and this makes her tremendously appealing. I enjoyed following Holly through her thought process and her eventual decision which, I am sure, will have any reader cheering for her.
on 13 May 2013
Although this is a short story it felt as if you were actually at the spa with your best friend. Ideal read for daily commute.
Would recommend and also wouldn't mind visiting the spa now!
on 21 March 2013
If you're looking for a fast-paced, gritty, sarcastic humoured book this is one for you.

Once I'd started reading, I was drawn straight in by Holly's quirky personality and honesty. (I'm sure a lot of people are actually going to criticise how honest she is, but me, I found it refreshing.)

Holly is your typical girl. Moody, anti-social, sarcastic, food obsessed, with a heart of gold, and a longing to be loved and happy.
When she ends up being forced into a "friendship" with sex mad, glamour puss Rebecca. She can't help but feel the need to take a good look into her life and realise the mistakes she's making.
Rebecca made the book for me. Her mouth never stopped, she has no shame and from beginning to end doesn't fail to lower the tone having you smiling.

For a short story it has enough in it to satisfy most needs and is written well enough to allow a good knowledge of the characters straight away. I liked that greatly about this.

The spa day is an honest, open-minded, quirky, whirlwind read. I can guarantee it will have you giggling.

4/5
on 4 June 2013
Holly was a character you could easily warm to and there were definitely aspects of her life that seemed plausible. However, the developing romantic plotline and subsequent ending was completely farfetched! I love a spot of romance as much as the next girl but it should have an ounce of credibility for me.

I read this book one evening on holiday when an overtired 5 year old necessitated an earlier than usual return to our room and it passed the time nicely but it is very short and I was glad I got it for free.
on 24 September 2014
Loved it, short, sweet, brutally honest, even if holly is a little naive!!
Nice bedtime read, not too taxing, all about Holly's 3 days at a luxury spa, meeting annoying people and realising she's been a right mug!!