Mindfulness Workbook For Dummies (For Dummies (Psychology & Self Help))

I enjoyed this book by Shamash Alidina and Joelle Jane Marshall and, although it is not necessarily designed to read from cover to cover it's what I did: it was that great and made sense to me to read it this way.

I work within mental health and have done so for over 30 years,...
Published on 13 May 2013 by Sassy

3.0 out of 5 stars Got bogged down
This format didn't suit me at all. I found it all just too daunting and not at all engaging. Shame really.
Published 14 months ago by Mandie Sharp

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A comprehensive thorough practical clear and humerous way to learn Mindfulness, 13 May 2013
Mindfulness Workbook For Dummies (For Dummies (Psychology & Self Help))

I work within mental health and have done so for over 30 years, and in that time I have seen therapeutic techniques come and go but this ancient practice has been around a long time now and I have found it helps people no matter what the issue - physical or psychological. Despite studying, practising and using mindfulness for over 10 years, I was delighted to find that this book had some new ways of learning about it and exercises to put it into practice, as well as the addition of worksheets throughout that really help you get the most from it. The book also has an audio download link feature rather than the CD that Shamash Alidina's previous book Mindfulness for Dummies included. It has to be said that these are similar books in content but this new workbook is bigger and better in many ways.
I sometimes teach aspects of mindfulness and this is for me the best book so far to assist me in this and not only makes it easy to teach it but also gives lots of ideas about possible roadblocks and how to overcome them. It is inspirational as well as truly helpful. It is organised into five parts and is typical of the Dummies series by making sometimes difficult to assimilate information easily understandable. I loved the 8 week course aspect, although this is not original as this is written about in many texts including cognitive therapy and stress reduction texts. This book includes easy to understand exercises, worksheets and structured homework tasks to really support practice. It also has great chapters on health and happiness, including managing pain anxiety/stress depression anger energy/tiredness.
I am aware that Mindfulness is taught in a few of our schools and would applaud this life enhancing skill being made a part of curricullum for children to benefit from as an essential life skill. So I was pleased to see a chapter dedicated to Mindfulness for kids too.
This is a book that is packed solid with theory & backgound but mostly sound practical information that can literally change your own world and life as well as the planet for the better. It is not religious although does encourage peacefulness and offers other non-judgemental, compassionate positions to view ourselves and the world from. I would highly recommend this fantastic book to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great practical introduction to mindfulness, 15 May 2013
Mindfulness is something of a buzz word at the moment, and with good cause. It really is a great way for people to take charge of their own mental and physical health. This book provides a great practical introduction to the subject in a way that is really accessible. The layout makes it easy to digest the information. You can just dip into it whenever you get a spare few minutes. I've been reading a chapter at night before bed. I've not bothered doing some of the exercise in it (I don't like writing in my books), but they are there so you can use them if they want to follow a more structured course.

I would recommend it to anyone, but particularly those suffering from stress (i.e. everyone to some degree). I was already familiar with mindfulness before receiving this book, and have recently been making time to meditate wherever possible. I have found meditation really useful, it really does make me feel more relaxed and eases the symptoms of stress. I've taken loads of useful stuff from this book. I really like the body scan meditation to do at night in bed. It only takes a few minutes, but it helps clear the mind and relax me, which makes sleep easier.

It only takes a very small investment of time to start seeing real benefits, and this book makes it easy to get straight into it. You could spend a lifetime reading about it, but to realise the benefits you need to practise it, and this book will give you a good grounding.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only mindfulness book you will ever need......, 10 May 2013
I wasn't new to the concept of Mindfulness when I received this book as a gift. I had read several others, and taught classes on the subject. This book is amazing, from the layout, the style of writing - and the many practical exercises to work through at your own pace. I was particularly interested in the chapter on Mindfulness for depression/anxiety - I have worked with many people experiencing this, and now have another tool to support and guide them through.
I would highly recommend this book, to beginners and teachers alike! Fantastic! Thank you to Shamash Alidina and Joelle Jane Marshall.

5.0 out of 5 stars A thoroughly practical approach to mindfulness, 12 May 2013
If you're interested in a comprehensive guide to developing mindfulness and integrating it into your life, then the Mindfulness Workbook for Dummies is for you. It's full of practical exercises, worksheets and different kinds of mindfulness meditation so there's something for everyone. To help you along there are even downloadable audio meditations which is a nice touch. Another couple of things I particularly like are the fact that it's easy to just open the book up and find something to try rather than having to work your way through from start to finish, plus the secular tone used throughout means it's accessible to anyone regardless of their beliefs. One thing I would have liked to have seen is a bit more of the science behind mindfulness but it's really just a minor quibble. Overall, I'd definitely recommend the Mindfulness Workbook for Dummies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, friendly mindfulness book, 12 May 2013
This review is from: Mindfulness Workbook For Dummies (Kindle Edition)
I have really enjoyed this book. I am not usually one for workbooks or books that involve some work from me! I usually read through and skip past the tasks intending to come back to them and fail to do so. However, I was determined to diligently work through the worksheets and I'm so glad I have. I have both a personal and professional, yet novice interest in Mindfulness. I work as a complementary therapist and often recommend that my clients become more familiar with the concept. I also have ME/Chronic fatigue syndrome so as well as recognising that it is disingenuous of me to recommend a practice without gaining more knowledge I also knew that it would benefit my health.
The book has taken me through this learning process in a logical and fun way. The tone of the book is friendly and I felt supported by authors that understood the stumbling blocks. Each task was useful and taught me a lot about myself and mindfulness. The guided meditation downloads were a great addition to the book's content.
The workbook has been a wonderful tutor and as I'd hoped the knowledge and practice has helped me a great deal. My health has improved since starting out a few weeks ago and I don't think it is a coincidence!

I would highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book on mindfulness, 28 April 2013
This review is from: Mindfulness Workbook For Dummies (Kindle Edition)
I have read a number of books on mindfulness but this the most beautiful book. I have found it has helped me so much during a stressful period in my life.
It is put very simply but with all the information you need on this subject. It is very easy to read and I would recommend it to anyone who is wanting to start a journey of mindfulness.
Triciabutton Button

5.0 out of 5 stars Encouraging and easy to use guide, 10 Jun. 2013
This book sets out mindfulness techniques in a very easy to engage way - the author encourages you to dip in and out as needs be, and the layout works well. The style makes it easy to "do" rather than just "read" - with the obvious knock-on benefits too. It comes over as a comprehensive and well rounded tool to aid the reader and is an inspiring read. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Minfulness for Dummies, 23 April 2013
T. P. Kinsella (South Africa) - See all my reviews
The author has written an excellent book.Well laid out and easy to read
If you buy one book on minfulness this is it

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value., 24 Feb. 2014
Thanks for the book. Excellent value, good easy exercises, easy reading, makes you feel relaxed reading it! Best buy this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mindfulness Workbook for Dummies, 13 May 2013
Mindfulness Workbook For Dummies (For Dummies (Psychology & Self Help))
There are many inspiring and informative books available now about Mindfulness and they are all wonderful to read, but, as Shamash points out, "be careful you don't spend all your time reading and never practice". Practice is essential. And what makes this book stand out is that it is so grounded in practice. It is full of practical exercises and opportunities for reflection and the authors guide readers through the process in a very reassuring and supportive way. It is refreshingly jargon-free and has a down to earth and humorous approach which makes it accessible to a wide range of people. It even includes a chapter on introducing Mindfulness to children which I found particularly useful as that is where,ideally, it all needs to begin.
It is exactly as described : a Workbook. It is not the book for you if you want a lot of information about the theoretical underpinnings or you want in-depth information about clinical applications. But if your aim is to learn the basic principles of Mindfulness and develop your own practice and discover how it can change your life then this is an excellent resource.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›