5.0 out of 5 stars Bulls Head, 8 July 2013
This review is from: Forever Elvin (Audio CD)
I had the good fortune to hear Peter King at the Bulls Head Barnes recently with Steve Melling. I have watched him over a period of 45 years but it was a very long time since I had seen him live. He was astonishing; stuck in Manchester, I had almost forgotten what a superb player Peter was. I couldn't honestly say his playing had moved on to new ground but what he does is quite peerless. Coincidently I saw him playing in the film 'The talented Mr Riply' on the TV a few days later; a good film but Mr King had all the talent! I bought the CD: Forever Elvin at the Gig; it's in danger of being worn out!
The news that the Bulls Head is closing for refurbishment is worrying particularly since Peter King's Gig was only a third full; no youngsters and few women. Jazz seems stuck in a rut, but that's difficult to believe when you listen to King.
He's not getting any younger, I hope the world of Jazz doesn't forget what a star we have in our midst.

5.0 out of 5 stars About Time Too!, 28 Jun 2013
This review is from: Forever Elvin (Audio CD)
I saw this band live,doing this program a few years ago at Swanage. The band to a man were burning the wallpaper off the walls of the joint at 20 paces,and at last the recording is spot on.To para phrase Sonny Rollins"Anyone out there realize just how good this band is"
The band are back on the road [Miles Levin in for late,sadly missed Martin Drew] I shall be catching them at Titley in July,if you miss them it will be like missing your own birthday. Thank you Peter,Alec,Steve and Alan,God bless you Martin Drew.

5.0 out of 5 stars Peter King is awesome, 11 Sep 2013
This review is from: Forever Elvin (Audio CD)
If there was ever a doubt this man is amongst the best the world not just we in The UK have heard this is yet another example of his mastery. Peter King and Stan Tracey are national treasures of the first order up there with the greats. This is a very good disc the playing is awesome, the banter is essential to realizing these are top men. By the way the piano also highights that Steve Melling is also a bit special. That leaves us with Messrs Skidmore and Drew who are themselves top drawer. So what we have is something anyone who likes jazz should just buy because you will love it.

Forever Elvin
Forever Elvin by Peter King (Audio CD - 2013)