5.0 out of 5 stars Witty and Entertaining, 13 Nov. 2013
This review is from: What I Wish I Knew Before I Moved to Hollywood (2nd Edition) (Kindle Edition)
What I wish I knew before I moved to Hollywood is a witty and entertaining tale into the horrors of starting afresh in the movie business. The author is upbeat, but tells a realistic tale of just how hard it is to get anything done in the film industry and the incredible amount of time you can spend, simply having your time wasted.

Ego is everything here and 'frontin' the norm, but how exactly do you go about trying to succeed in the land of the big boys? From getting an agent, to getting a lawyer, from getting noticed to trying to afford somewhere to live, T.R. Locke has it covered.

You don't have to be itching for a move to Hollywood to enjoy this book. If you have aspirations and dreams, this is for you. It's how you can succeed in the face of adversity. You'd better be tenacious and look under ever single stone you come across, but T.R. Locke portrays a vibrant and colorful look into Los Angeles' entertainment industry.

The truth is harsh, but you're always better off armed and prepared! The 'Lesson Learned' sections at the rear of each chapter make for insightful reading.

My Verdict: An inspiring, 5 star romp through Hollywood!

4.0 out of 5 stars What I Wish I Knew ..., 6 Jun. 2013
What I Wish I Knew ... works on at least three different levels. The obvious is for someone who wants to follow in Locke's footsteps and take a shot at their Hollywood dream. Whether that dream is acting and writing screenplays, as it was for him, or something else, you should find plenty here to give you a reality check. As Locke says more than once, his goal isn't to crush your dreams, but to paint a realistic picture of what to expect. That way you can go in with eyes wide open rather than learning the lessons the hard way, as he did. The book is arranged into two sections. The first, the "WIK" section, starts with a quick summary of Locke's life until he arrived in California, followed by a series of stories about his experiences to demonstrate the lessons he's learned and wished he'd known going into the experience. The second part consists of interviews with others to tease out additional lessons pertinent to those hoping to fill different roles than those Locke was aiming for.

On another level, WIWIK is a humorous and entertaining read for those who like memoirs in general, especially if you like reading about the life and experiences of a relatively normal person living a life that is not at all like your own.

The third way to approach WIWIK as a reader is for anyone who wants to "follow their bliss," as Locke describes it, quoting Oprah Winfrey. Many of the lessons and insights Locke has had in his quest to make it in Hollywood translate well to other fields. Many of those who read my reviews are authors. As I was reading about Locke's experiences I kept thinking, "that applies to an author, too." For example, how many times have you authors read a variation on, "for most people this is a marathon not a sprint"? I'll leave you with this quote, which applies to anyone with a dream, whether you want to get to the top of the heap as an actor, author, or any other field:

Perhaps you play a sport. To draw a comparison, consider how much different a professional athlete's life is from yours. Day-in and day-out they condition, train, and focus--forcing their muscles to memorize the actions necessary to succeed in their sport. If you play a decent game of basketball on weekends at the Y, you may want to think twice about your fitness for the NBA. Do you have that kind of commitment and focus? Do you have that level of desire? Is your game that tight? If not, you might want to stick with the Y on Saturdays.

**Originally written for "Books and Pals" book blog. May have received a free review copy. **

5.0 out of 5 stars An unusual book which I thoroughly enjoyed, 27 May 2013
A fascinating insight into the world of film making in Hollywood. I thoroughly enjoyed this autobiography. Anyone thinking of involving themselves in the film industry should read this book first - they may change their mind!