5.0 out of 5 stars Simple easy to use tips
Published on 11 Sept. 2012 by Naomi

3.0 out of 5 stars goodf
Short and to the point good to just pick up
However all aimed at business related things! should have read the description
Published 10 months ago by none

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple easy to use tips, 11 Sept. 2012
I loved Grace Marshall's book. It is so easy to read and makes a lot of sense. I am very organised but this took my organisation to another level. My business I feel has become more streamlined after using her ideas and tips. I will certainly be recommending it to friends and business colleagues that battle with focussing on one job at a time and feel like they are running around like headless chickens.

5.0 out of 5 stars A life-altering read!, 11 Oct. 2012
Got home from work at 4:30pm today, I came in and spent around half an hour with Ollie doing his homework, and then thought to myself "what shall I do next?" I decided to open the two parcels that the postman delivered for me today which were quite obviously books. I opened each one, took a photo of each and tweeted the photo with a message. I then spent a bit of time sending a few random tweets and answering some others. After making a cup of coffee, I decided to check Facebook on my phone and I put a chicken in the oven for this evening's dinner. I did what I call "fannying about" on Facebook and Twitter for a while for no particular reason apart from being nosy to see what my friends had been up to.

I put Ollie's dinner in the oven and responded to a few more tweets as my phone had dinged a few times. Looking at the two books that I'd had delivered that day, and thinking about the pile of books I have next to my bedside table, my next tweet said I wish I could find more time to read!

At this point it was now 6.30pm and I realised that I had just spent nearly two hours "fannying about".

I remembered Grace Marshall's book "21 ways to manage the stuff that sucks up your time" and decided it really was the right time for me to read it and take note!

Chapter 1 was called Batch Your Bits. One of the things it suggested was to set up an automatic reply in your work email setting expectations for your clients and contacts. Something like: "Thank you for your email. I read and respond to all emails every afternoon between three and four. You'll hear back from me then." What a great idea!

It also states that every time your attention is taken from another task, to do something else, it then takes time to refocus on the original task because you probably need to get back into the mind space that you were at previously and all of that takes time and effort. Grace suggested grouping similar tasks together attacking them in one go, which should allow you to work more efficiently. I tried it out the next day and it really does work!

Chapter 2 talks about using a timer for many tasks during the day. Social media can be a great tool for marketing and growing your business but only if you use it to help you run your business rather than allowing it to become something that runs your life! Mmmmm!

Grace continues to talk about tons of different ways and rules to adhere to such as handle it once and breaking bad habits. Say no while being nice, focus with a closed list, do things that beat procrastination. I could talk forever about the things that I've learned from this informative book to help me to focus on my work and and give me more time.

In a simple to understand way and not filled full of jargon, this book is incredibly easy to read and there are lots of practical methods that you can apply to both your home life and your work life to make life easier, more organised and to create more time for yourself.

I'm off now to read the rest of Grace's book. I do hope The Marketing Room are ready for me at work tomorrow. And I think it may become a little book that stays in my handbag at all times and I'm already quoting it to people. I've also in conversation while talking about work, had two people telling me that they've bought Grace's book and are finding it really motivational. It should actually come with a warning. WARNING: For the price of £3.97 this book can seriously change your life for the better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Little Book, 15 Oct. 2012
I just finished reading a terrific little book called g21 Ways to Manage the Stuff That Sucks up Your Timeh, by Grace Marshall.

For those of you who arenft familiar with Grace and her work, she is a life and business coach, and she has two young children. She is also a NLP practitioner and a DISC trainer. She is passionate about helping business owners make the most of their business time and their talents, and do life and business on their own terms.

This book is a quick easy read, but it is full of great tips. Some of them you are probably already doing. But if youfre like me, there are a few more you really should be doing. You will find this book to be very helpful especially if you are not naturally organized. And if you already consider yourself to be an organized person, implementing just a few of these tips will only make you better.

This book is for anyone that wants to:
¡Get more done in the time they have without working longer.
¡Make money, grow your business and still have time for your family
¡Find gme timeh for doing whatfs important to you without feeling guilty.
¡Learn tools and techniques for getting more organized so that you look forward to getting up and going to work each day and you finish each day with a feeling of satisfaction.

You can find my complete review on my blog at [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Talented writer, I'd recommend this book, 15 Oct. 2012
This is a really useful little book packed with tips, advice and clearly laid out instructions on how to focus and achieve your goals on a daily basis, all well laid out in 21 bite-sized chapters. I like it because the writer has first-hand experience of setting up and running a business and being a busy mum at the same time. She understands how overwhelming the small stuff can be, and she simply explains how to 'work smarter not harder', how to take charge and form good habits that will produce those desired results that we all want from our day. It's all very practical, I was surprised how encouraged and inspired I felt after reading a few chapters! Plus, she goes deeper getting you to think about what energizes you, what drains you and how to manage your workload accordingly so you make the most of your talents and get more satisfaction out of your working day. So whether you're a sole trader or a busy manager in a large company this book is a useful support, it will increase your organisational skills and productivity even if you applied just one or two of the principles. Great little present for someone, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super simplicity, 10 Sept. 2012
Grace writes with pith and knowingness. The challenge is for people to put her simple, incredibly effective insights and tips to work deliberately -- when they do they'll be self reinforcing as the results will be plain to see. One for all newly self-employed people amongst others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best £3.97 I've spent in years!, 8 Feb. 2013
Quite simply the best £3.97 I have spent in years. This book is simple, concise, to the point and absolutely jam packed with useful nuggets. Yes, a lot of it is common sense and on reading it you think 'of course I should do that' but if you weren't doing it before, it's a helpful nudge (kick up the backside!) in the right direction.

I am the queen of 'shiny object syndrome' and Grace's idea of a tangent log is just genius..... I now have my little tangent log notebook in my bag at all times to capture those great ideas that previously I would have been desperate to get started with that would completely distract me from getting the current job done.

Thanks Grace - now for your next book, how about 21 ways to get housework done without anybody realising they are doing it?!

5.0 out of 5 stars Voice of sanity, 15 Oct. 2012
I've become a bit of an expert on time-management books since the birth of my little boy. Most of them contain one or two useful insights and a couple of hundreds of pages of padding. But this book is different. It's a sort of meta-survey of all the helpful tips, arranged in a sensible order that's easy to use. When you're overwhelmed you don't actually have time to read any book, but this one is slim and to-the-point without neglecting deeper issues such as the anxieties that can sometimes underlie procrastination. I'm finding it a great practical help and its calm friendly tone makes me feel much more sane. It's become a friend, and I feel better just for having it in my bag. I think it's super-good value, too. You could spend hundreds of pounds and hours of reading to get this far.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really practical and handy guide!, 11 Jun. 2013
This is such a practical book, with easy to apply tips with a common sense approach that many other books lack. I read it from cover to cover in a couple of hours and was able to immediately apply some of the tips and try some of the tools that Grace recommends, which have already been really beneficial. It's a book you can dip in and out of as needed when you feel overwhelmed and just want to remove some clutter from your life! And Grace's writing style is so human that it feels like she understands you and is speaking directly to you as someone who's been there. I'll certainly be keeping this book handy for when I need it and would recommend it to anyone that needs to take control of their time. Thanks Grace!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed!, 15 Oct. 2012
I ordered this book the day it came out, having met the author at a networking meeting. I really like her style of writing. I have only just started reading the book - which shows how much I need it - have read most of it at one sitting and am going to go back over it and put the recommendations to use one by one. I love the fact that each chapter gets straight to the point and really helps the reader make small steps which add up to great progress. I found the distinction between a 'brain-dump' list and a 'to-do' list really valuable, and have already used the 'power hour' strategy. I would strongly recommend this book to anyone who feels they don't have enough hours in the day.

5.0 out of 5 stars A little gem, 17 Nov. 2013
An excellent little book packed full with useful tips and advice for staying focused and maximising your productivity. The book is organised into 3 parts. Part 1 deals with taking control and organising the little tasks, part 2 is about staying focused and shows how to manage distractions and part 3 deals with mindset, how to deal with worry, procrastination, lack of confidence etc.
After reading this book I felt re-charged, re-motivated and re-energised. the format of the book makes it easy to dip into whenever you feel that you need a boost. At £3.97 this little gem of a book is fantastic value with ideas and tips leaping from every page. Highly recommended.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›