4.0 out of 5 stars The Final Farewell to Skins [Without Spoilers]
Published 8 months ago by Rebellious Pen

3.0 out of 5 stars boring
not what i was expecting at all. all the storylines were boring, the characters completely different to how they were in the series before. disappointing
Published 6 months ago by elise

4.0 out of 5 stars The Final Farewell to Skins [Without Spoilers], 12 Aug 2013
This review is from: Skins - Series 7 [DVD] (DVD)
When Skins first came to our screens in 2007, it was met with acclaim from not only critics, but also its cult following. After 6 years and a few sub standard series, we are left with the return of some the programs most complex and loved characters, Effy, Cassie and Cook. Before I delve deeper into each of the 3 films, I think it's important to keep an open mind about what will happen, it is ultimately very different to Skins.

Here is a list of some of the negatives:

1 - Those who have been waiting for some of the answers that were, to this point, left ambiguous at the end of series 2 & 4 might be disappointed. This is probably one of the things which has split most Skins fans, as it doesn't seem to have given us the closure to each character. Instead, we are left to imagine what has happened to the characters in the 3-5 years that they have been off screen. I guess you say that this is to keep realism within the show, as we don't always talk about what has affected us in the past, but I think it feels like a bit of a wasted opportunity. It was after all what the audience would have wanted, especially those of us that have remained loyal to the show for all these years. Only Skins Rise is in my opinion successful in answering what happened after the maddening ending to series 4.

2 - The hedonism of the first 6 series has been replaced by a more adult and darker tone. I appreciate that the characters might have grown up, but this change in tone makes it seem completely different and not as compelling as the show we all grew up to love. Adult life is not as bleak and depressing as they make it out to be, it kind of feels like they sapped out all the fun from the show.

3 - The lack of previous characters returning is possibly a big downfall of these episodes, obviously apart from Naomi and Emily who appear in Skins Fire. I found it difficult to care for a lot of the characters in only the space of 1 and a half hours, and most of them are actually pretty unlikable.

With these negatives out the way, I'll go on to each of the episodes.

Skins Fire: Possibly the most controversial of all the episodes, with many fans not wanting to even acknowledge its existence. Effy has a job within a company in the middle of London, where she begins to develop feelings for her boss. Befriending someone from another company, she ends up illegally investing and rising through the ranks of her job. I found it was actually well done, and this is from someone who was never really an Effy fan. One of the things which always annoyed me was that she always played with fire (excuse the pun) but she never seemed to learn from her mistakes. I think it's great to see her finally take responsibility for her actions. Downsides would be that it seems as though she has lost a certain spark that she once had, but also it might seem a bit unrealistic for a character like Effy to be in the stock market. For us Skins fans, it's great to see Naomi and Emily again, though with a heartbreaking series of events, I found the twist at the end slightly unnecessary and a slap in the face for those who have stayed with the show. On a different note, I felt it could have had Effy saying one line about what had happened to Freddie, and how it had affected her which would have been slightly better and coherent. I'd award it 7/10.

Skins Pure: If I'm completely honest, I didn't get it. I was pretty disheartened that the once brilliant Cassie seems to have become quite boring, and the overall storyline is a bit... all over the place. Cassie, also living in London, is working as a waitress when she finds out that someone is taking pictures of her wherever she goes. In a side story, her family life seems to have fallen apart with her father becoming an alcoholic, and her brother losing direction. Overall, I found Cassie's reaction to being photographed, once she knows who has been following her, is unrealistic and a bit weird. No one would surely be comfortable with being photographed without their permission, or at least I think not? Though one thing I appreciate is that the character does feel like Cassie in a strange sense, and a lot more grown up. I'd award it 4/10.

Skins Rise: The final of the 3 stories is without a doubt the best of the lot. Cook is a drug dealer in Manchester, where he seems carry the weight of the world on his shoulders. Falling in love with his boss' girlfriend, Cook decides that he needs to run from danger, and also running from his past. With an exhilarating game of cat and mouse, Rise is different from the other episodes, it's fast, emotive and reminds us why we first loved Skins. Cook has definitely changed for the better, and we see a mature, shadow of the figure he once was. I've seen a lot of people who have not previously liked the character empathise with him. Jack O'Connell once again proves what a talent he is and I'm sure he will make it big. I'd give it 9/10.

Whilst I believe the concluding series to Skins could have potentially been better, it's done what it's always done - Divide opinions. It's been a fantastic ride over the years, with many of us growing up with the show. And I guess with all good things, it's finally over but I think we'll all hold on to our favourite characters to our hearts forever.

3.0 out of 5 stars boring, 5 Oct 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars cooks episodes were the best., 12 Aug 2013
This review is from: Skins - Series 7 [DVD] (DVD)
dont agree with the person who gave this series 1 star i see there points but cooks episodes alone make this dvd worth it. fire is much better than Pure as it has a plot the only downside is the naomily ending but it is done well overall this series is not about closure it is about seeing how the characters have changed and matured as adults.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 17 April 2014
This review is from: Skins - Series 7 [DVD] (DVD)
Excellent finale, is a must see if you are fan of This tv drama, go for it, do not hesitate

3.0 out of 5 stars Skins RISE, 8 April 2014
This review is from: Skins - Series 7 [DVD] (DVD)
The final series of Skins brings back 3 major characters from generation 1 and 2 (and some cameos of others).

There are 6 episodes split into FIRE, PURE and RISE with two parts each.

FIRE is about Effy now working in an office in London. I'd give these two episodes 3 stars. It was okay, but nothing great.

PURE is about Cassie, also now living in London. This is complete and utter crap. It is possibly the most boring thing I have ever seen. As a big Skins fan, I'd suggest just skipping the two PURE parts. Absolutely not worth watching unless you REALLY feel you have to. I'd give these two episodes 1 star.

RISE is, by far, the best of the three. Bringing my (and a lot of others) favourite character back, is Cook. The last time we saw Cook we were left with a great ending. The two episodes overall I'd give 4 stars. We didn't NEED to see more Cook as I felt the ending of series 4 was awesome. But he is a great character and being able to see what he is like 2 years on was a cool.

Out of FIRE, PURE and RISE, they definitely saved the best for last. But seriously, PURE is so boring it is ridiculous. This is definitely worth the buy to finish off the series, but to be honest, they could have just released RISE. FIRE is good, but not really anything great at all.
I just want to finish this review by, once again, saying how boring and awful Cassie's two episodes are here. What a joke. BUT this DVD is worth buying to finish off the series.

1.0 out of 5 stars THIS IS BAD!!!, 7 Mar 2014
Bradley S Martell (calgary, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skins - Series 7 [DVD] (DVD)
I AM GOING TO KEEP THIS SHORT. I WATCHED THIS SERIES TWICE IN ITS ENTIRTY BEFORE WRITING THIS. I LOVED ALL THREE CHARACTERS ON THE ORIGINAL SERIES. LOVED CASSIE & COOK ON THE ORIGINAL SERIES. WATCHING THIS ENTIRE DVD SET WAS LIKE WATCHING A BAD ACCIDENT, YOU DON'T WANT TO LOOK BUT YOU CAN'T HELP YOURSELF. LIKE THE OTHER TEEN DRAMA MISFITS, THIS TAKES US DOWN A ROAD YOU'D WISH YOU HAD NEVER DONE. THE STORIES ARE MEDICORE AT BEST. THE CHARACTER OF CASSIE (HANNAH MURRAY) HAS THE BEST STORY LINE. I DO AGREE THAT CASSIES MENTAL ILLNESS WAS TOTALLY FORGOTTEN ABOUT & PUSHED ASIDE.
EVERYONE HAS THEIR FAV CHARACTERS FROM THE ORIGINAL SERIES, BUT THIS FINAL SERIES IS AT BEST POORLY DONE. THE ORIGINAL SERIES 1 & 2 (WITH CASSIE, EFFY & COOK) ARE BY FAR THE BEST. PURCHASE AT YOUR OWN PERIL.

3.0 out of 5 stars Better untouched, 20 Aug 2013
This review is from: Skins - Series 7 [DVD] (DVD)
Personally, I feel that all three character's stories wrapped up pretty nicely at the end of their respective series. I think this series just opened up some more holes (I don't want to give spoilers, so I won't give specifics). Personally, I don't think this series wrapped anything up for the entire show, seeing as all the characters mentioned haven't been on the show for 3-5 years.

3.0 out of 5 stars For the last ever series, 16 Aug 2013
This review is from: Skins - Series 7 [DVD] (DVD)
I was a bit disappointed with the ending but enjoyed the DVD overall it was well written and acted the cast were very believable its just the very end bit.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible, 12 Aug 2013
This review is from: Skins - Series 7 [DVD] (DVD)
The actors (Kaya Scodelario, Lily Loveless, Kathryn Prescott, Hannah Murray, Jack O'Connell) are great, the cinematography and direction are great. Unfortunately, this doesn't feel anything like the Skins I know and love (series 1-5). None of the cliffhangers from series 4 like Freddie's murder and it's effect on Effy as well as Effy's mental illness in general are being addressed here. They act like it never happened. mental illness is not something to take lightly so I don't understand that "creative decision". It's completely baffling to me to be honest. Furthermore cook and Effy's episode are completely separate. They have zero scenes together.

Nothing much happens in cassie's (my favorite character form Generation 1) episode. It's nice to look at but again the story falls flat.

I didn't like any of the 3 two-parters but "Skins Fire" is far the worst out of the three. Which is sad because that was the special I was most looking forward to.

Also, if you are a fan of Naomi & Emily I recommend you stay as far away as possible from this. Their happy ending from series 4 is completely destroyed within a badly written sideplot. In addition, Kathryn Prescott (Emily) has almost no screentime and hardly any interaction with Naomi.

This is not a skins celebration as the creators of the show promised. It's three completely unrelated stories which happen to have skins actors in it.

very diappointing. not worth your hard-earned money.

3.0 out of 5 stars The 2nd gen make cassie look bad. Not happy, 3 Mar 2014
This review is from: Skins - Series 7 [DVD] (DVD)
Well all I can say is that Hannah Murray is the only good thing about this.
I would have preferred it if they had just sold skins pure on it's Own.
Pure was just very enjoyable to watch and the actors are very good. (5 Stars).

Fire was very poor and just did not seam like skins. Kaya's character Effy in fire was god awful just like in the 2nd gen. And the only one that was worse was cook. Like with gen 2 the female actor's that played Emily and Naomi were very good.The rest as I said just did not seam like skins at all. (2 Stars).

Rise well a complete stemming pile. I would have preferred that they had done a movie type episode about a 3rd gen character.
This was worse then any of the cook episode from the 2nd gen. And with the way the 2nd gen ended I just would have had the character killed by foster. It's not even that the acting is bad. Most of it is O.K apart from the guy that played cook. The supporting Actors were O.K But I can't give skins rise more then (1 star).

To finish apart from pure the 7th series of skins just did not seam like skins at all and the of the main characters they used should not have been the one that were used.

ARRAY(0xb2233e4c)

Skins - Series 7 [DVD]
Skins - Series 7 [DVD] by Kaya Scodelario (DVD - 2013)
17.99