4.0 out of 5 stars The Final Farewell to Skins [Without Spoilers]

1.0 out of 5 stars End Of An Error
Published 1 month ago by BoatDrinks

4.0 out of 5 stars The Final Farewell to Skins [Without Spoilers], 12 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Skins - Series 7 [DVD] (DVD)
When Skins first came to our screens in 2007, it was met with acclaim from not only critics, but also its cult following. After 6 years and a few sub standard series, we are left with the return of some the programs most complex and loved characters, Effy, Cassie and Cook. Before I delve deeper into each of the 3 films, I think it's important to keep an open mind about what will happen, it is ultimately very different to Skins.

Here is a list of some of the negatives:

1 - Those who have been waiting for some of the answers that were, to this point, left ambiguous at the end of series 2 & 4 might be disappointed. This is probably one of the things which has split most Skins fans, as it doesn't seem to have given us the closure to each character. Instead, we are left to imagine what has happened to the characters in the 3-5 years that they have been off screen. I guess you say that this is to keep realism within the show, as we don't always talk about what has affected us in the past, but I think it feels like a bit of a wasted opportunity. It was after all what the audience would have wanted, especially those of us that have remained loyal to the show for all these years. Only Skins Rise is in my opinion successful in answering what happened after the maddening ending to series 4.

2 - The hedonism of the first 6 series has been replaced by a more adult and darker tone. I appreciate that the characters might have grown up, but this change in tone makes it seem completely different and not as compelling as the show we all grew up to love. Adult life is not as bleak and depressing as they make it out to be, it kind of feels like they sapped out all the fun from the show.

3 - The lack of previous characters returning is possibly a big downfall of these episodes, obviously apart from Naomi and Emily who appear in Skins Fire. I found it difficult to care for a lot of the characters in only the space of 1 and a half hours, and most of them are actually pretty unlikable.

With these negatives out the way, I'll go on to each of the episodes.

Skins Fire: Possibly the most controversial of all the episodes, with many fans not wanting to even acknowledge its existence. Effy has a job within a company in the middle of London, where she begins to develop feelings for her boss. Befriending someone from another company, she ends up illegally investing and rising through the ranks of her job. I found it was actually well done, and this is from someone who was never really an Effy fan. One of the things which always annoyed me was that she always played with fire (excuse the pun) but she never seemed to learn from her mistakes. I think it's great to see her finally take responsibility for her actions. Downsides would be that it seems as though she has lost a certain spark that she once had, but also it might seem a bit unrealistic for a character like Effy to be in the stock market. For us Skins fans, it's great to see Naomi and Emily again, though with a heartbreaking series of events, I found the twist at the end slightly unnecessary and a slap in the face for those who have stayed with the show. On a different note, I felt it could have had Effy saying one line about what had happened to Freddie, and how it had affected her which would have been slightly better and coherent. I'd award it 7/10.

Skins Pure: If I'm completely honest, I didn't get it. I was pretty disheartened that the once brilliant Cassie seems to have become quite boring, and the overall storyline is a bit... all over the place. Cassie, also living in London, is working as a waitress when she finds out that someone is taking pictures of her wherever she goes. In a side story, her family life seems to have fallen apart with her father becoming an alcoholic, and her brother losing direction. Overall, I found Cassie's reaction to being photographed, once she knows who has been following her, is unrealistic and a bit weird. No one would surely be comfortable with being photographed without their permission, or at least I think not? Though one thing I appreciate is that the character does feel like Cassie in a strange sense, and a lot more grown up. I'd award it 4/10.

Skins Rise: The final of the 3 stories is without a doubt the best of the lot. Cook is a drug dealer in Manchester, where he seems carry the weight of the world on his shoulders. Falling in love with his boss' girlfriend, Cook decides that he needs to run from danger, and also running from his past. With an exhilarating game of cat and mouse, Rise is different from the other episodes, it's fast, emotive and reminds us why we first loved Skins. Cook has definitely changed for the better, and we see a mature, shadow of the figure he once was. I've seen a lot of people who have not previously liked the character empathise with him. Jack O'Connell once again proves what a talent he is and I'm sure he will make it big. I'd give it 9/10.

Whilst I believe the concluding series to Skins could have potentially been better, it's done what it's always done - Divide opinions. It's been a fantastic ride over the years, with many of us growing up with the show. And I guess with all good things, it's finally over but I think we'll all hold on to our favourite characters to our hearts forever.

1.0 out of 5 stars End Of An Error, 6 April 2015
This review is from: Skins - Series 7 [DVD] (DVD)
Laughable trilogy which enables us to catch up with our favourite three idiots from previous Skins series. In "Fire" we're expected to buy into the idea of the staggeringly vacuous Kaya Scodelario as some kind of financial whizz, when she looks like she'd struggle to hold a pen the right way up. The dreadful dialogue in this episode made me wince on several occasions, and anyone under the illusion that the brilliant Kayvan Novak can turn his hand to any character is in for a big shock. Called upon to play someone "normal" here, he's wooden as a barn door.

The second story "Pure" is even worse, and if you think Scodelario is a limited performer, let me tell you she's Dame Judi Dench compared to the appalling Hannah Murray who plays Cassie as a simpering, buck-toothed airhead. Apparently Murray spent time at the Bristol Old Vic, but presumably she must've been the janitor there because she doesn't seem to possess any acting talent. The dialogue sounds like it was written by a twelve year old and that generic tinkly piano music, which is obviously there to signify "Emotional Content", is pathetic.

"Rise" is the final tale and, although highly improbable, at least keeps the viewer's attention right up to the depressing climax. Britain's favourite delinquent Jack O'Connell is solid in the lead role, but the standout is gorgeous Esther Smith, who despite being saddled with a terrible hairstyle in every role she plays, is still very cute and funny.

3.0 out of 5 stars boring, 5 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Skins - Series 7 [DVD] (DVD)
not what i was expecting at all. all the storylines were boring, the characters completely different to how they were in the series before. disappointing

4.0 out of 5 stars cooks episodes were the best., 12 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Skins - Series 7 [DVD] (DVD)
dont agree with the person who gave this series 1 star i see there points but cooks episodes alone make this dvd worth it. fire is much better than Pure as it has a plot the only downside is the naomily ending but it is done well overall this series is not about closure it is about seeing how the characters have changed and matured as adults.

3.0 out of 5 stars Out With A Whimper., 1 Jun. 2014
Julia Havard "Heights47" (Swansea, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skins - Series 7 [DVD] (DVD)
There are few resolutions if any to previous stories and plot strands. These are 3 standalone stories documenting three of Skins most popular characters. In some ways it has worked there is a lot of self reflection, soul searching and ultimate redemption for our 3 hardcore partiers. But in other ways it's a misery fest with a lack of story and resolution. *spoiler* for Naomi to die felt pointless and awkward. After all the trials tribulations it seemed shoe horned in for emotional gravitas without really considering the stories original origins and the reason why it was so loved and worked. They had their struggle and Naomi was already in a poor place to begin with. Cook was ultimately the best true to himself and character but coming to terms with himself and actually realising that all things have consequence. Cassie's story was a massive let down just completely poor.

But in terms of characterisation it worked beautifully. Effie finally understood like Cook all things have consequence and growing up isn't moving away but taking responsibility for ones self. Cassie found peace and contentment and a home and family and leanred that she was needed as much as she needed anyone else.

So in choosing 3 characters to document it worked in some ways. We don't all stay in touch with those we spent our youth with but neither when they leave are all things resolved. This was about growing up and maturing into adulthood and leaving the hedonism behind. Poetic as Skins was about the youth and it's culture but as that passes so does the show.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 17 April 2014
This review is from: Skins - Series 7 [DVD] (DVD)
Excellent finale, is a must see if you are fan of This tv drama, go for it, do not hesitate

3.0 out of 5 stars Better untouched, 20 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Skins - Series 7 [DVD] (DVD)
Personally, I feel that all three character's stories wrapped up pretty nicely at the end of their respective series. I think this series just opened up some more holes (I don't want to give spoilers, so I won't give specifics). Personally, I don't think this series wrapped anything up for the entire show, seeing as all the characters mentioned haven't been on the show for 3-5 years.

3.0 out of 5 stars For the last ever series, 16 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Skins - Series 7 [DVD] (DVD)
I was a bit disappointed with the ending but enjoyed the DVD overall it was well written and acted the cast were very believable its just the very end bit.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad., 29 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Skins - Series 7 [DVD] (DVD)
Fire is an outstanding two-parter, however I was slightly let down by Pure and Rise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 May 2015
This review is from: Skins - Series 7 [DVD] (DVD)
good item at a good price

Skins - Series 7 [DVD]
Skins - Series 7 [DVD] by Kaya Scodelario (DVD - 2013)