4.0 out of 5 stars Hill Street Blues DVDs
Published on 18 Aug 2006 by redryan53

1.0 out of 5 stars "The Complete Series"? - I don't think so....
"Hill Street Blues" was, and still is, my absolute favourite television series. When first transmitted in the 1980's the comments you read here about the ground-breaking format of the show are absolutely true: multi-thread storylines, a huge cast ensemble, documentary-style direction, humour, realism and ACTION.

After settling down for a serious couch-fest of...
Published on 11 Nov 2007 by Jon Clark

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Hill Street Blues DVDs, 18 Aug 2006
I am a massive fan of Hill Street Blues and was delighted when I found out they were available to buy on DVD.As I watched the first episode it was like meeting old friends again having not seen them for many years.The dialogue and the performances still feels fresh after 20 years.Hill Street Blues can still shock,surprise and sadden you in equal proportions after all these years.The reason I only rated 4 out 5 is because the episodes on DVD are edited versions of the originals.This is purley down to Channel 4 whom, When I contacted them denied it.If any Hill Street Blues fans feel so inclined I would ask the to complain to Channel 4.

redryan

1.0 out of 5 stars "The Complete Series"? - I don't think so...., 11 Nov 2007
Jon Clark (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews

After settling down for a serious couch-fest of memories with these DVD's it was quickly apparent something was missing. Scenes weren't making sense. Edits were skipping around. Events were being referenced that the viewer hadn't seen.

As has been mentioned here elsewhere, these are the edited versions of the show suitable for early-evening transmission on Channel 4. And they haven't been edited at all well. The action, gritty and realistic for its time but tame by today's standards, has been all but totally deleted. A key ingredient of what made the show so good isn't there any more. Just what is the point of releasing a cult series to enthusiasts if you then remove one of the facets that made it so memorable? I expect better from the channel that prides itself on providing innovative, controversial programming.

It got so bad that I gave up watching half way through the second series. I'm even thinking about flogging both boxed sets on the Amazon resellers market.

Great programme, lousy DVD's...

4.0 out of 5 stars Where is the third season?, 9 Jan 2010
P. B. Koeb (Aljezur, Portugal) - See all my reviews
It has now been two years since i bought seasons 1 and 2 of "HSB", and i am starting to think that the subsequent seasons may simply never see the light of day. (Did the first two seasons not sell well enough?)

Just to concur with the previous reviews of this excellent series. The programmes have definitely been edited, which is extremely annoying. The picture quality is relatively grainy, but i suppose that we just have to live with that downside. Some of the background music comes across as being a little reminiscent of "Magnum PI" and "The A Team", thanks to good old Mike Post. I find this does rather make the series seem a little dated.

However, the groundbreaking format remains truly wonderful. The cast is absolutely excellent. None more so, perhaps, than Michael Conrad as Sergeant Philip Freemason Esterhaus. He was never adequately replaced, after his death. But that was because he was utterly irreplaceable. I didn't much care for Robert Prosky's "rollcall" interventions, but he had an impossibly difficult act to follow.

This is a thoroughly worthwhile purchase for people who might have missed out on this seminal series, first time around. But they should not necessarily expect to have the opportunity to watch the subsequent seasons. What a terrible shame.

5.0 out of 5 stars We want Series THREE!!!!, 21 Aug 2012
To anybody buying this series - THE BEST SHOW EVER MADE: Buy region 1 discs. The region 1 discs show the complete episodes!

Hill Street Blues is awesome!

2.0 out of 5 stars Where's the rest?, 22 Feb 2010
Mr. T. Slader "Slader" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I gave season two a chance but it was as badly cut as season one. I have old video copies of several season 1 & 2 episodes that are uncut so I know that they have been butchered. This is a realy shame because if there was one series that got me into American adult TV it was this. I was dreaming of reliving all seven seasons again but the releases have dried up and, admittedly, what's the point when you're only getting part of the greatness not the whole package. Pity Channel 4 couldn't have been a bit more honest, couldn't have been bothered or creative and released the versions uncut. Still.., maybe one day. Fingers cross, this was an iconic series and deserves a proper release.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hill Street Blues season 2, 29 Jun 2006
I thought that watching the first series through - not quite but nearly in one sitting - would have "scratched the itch!" How wrong could I be. It was just as good as I remembered - rather like meeting old friends again. I was chuffed to bits to find that the second series was nearly out and about and almost available. Again, I was delighted - now I have to introduce my younger friends to the delights of Hill Street - how lucky are they??!!

If I had any (slight) complaint it would be that Amazon - who usually spoil us with super efficient and speedy deliveries etc were sluggish on the delivery (which would ONLY happen when you are all but mugging the postman everyday for your Hill Street DVD's) - they seem to have gone through a bit of a slow patch. Things seem to be back to normal again!

If you haven't bought it yet go out and do so - you know what your missing...

(isn't it great to know that some older TV series' can "take a licking & keep on ticking")

5.0 out of 5 stars Frankie says..., 1 Nov 2009
P. Cockerell "Paul" (London, England) - See all my reviews
Pure joy to re-join Frank Furillo and the Roll-Call on Hill Street. Seminal TV cop drama, hugely influential stylistically (St Elsewhere / NYPD / ER / Law & Order et al) wonderful ensemble plotlines carried across episodes with loads of knowing references to the 87th Precinct thrown in. Obviously very '80's but still looks really fresh (even if the opening stock footage seems increasingly ropey as the episodes roll on!) and totally engaging - who could resist that title music and an end-of-episode cuddle with Counsellor Davenport. But hey, seaon one's also available, so let's be careful out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 July 2014
I'd give this more than five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 12 July 2014
C. reid - See all my reviews
great tv series

5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality American drama, 9 Jan 2014
Glyn Davies "Racing snake" (Torquay England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hill Street Blues - Season 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Classic viewing - really where modern tv police dramas began to come alive. Continues the high standard of series 1 with all the requisite drama,comedy and pathos.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Hill Street Blues - Season 2 [DVD]
Hill Street Blues - Season 2 [DVD] by Daniel J. Travanti (DVD - 2013)