4.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction to Reacher
This was my first Reacher novel and I'd heard lots of good things (and some bad) so wasn't really sure what to expect. I'm glad I started reading these and I'm now on the 15th book back to back - they are proper page turners!

Published on 12 Mar. 2012 by Mike Renshaw

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Series Opener -if a little too straightforward
Great opener to a series and kept me entertained, but "entertained" is definitely the right word as I was not kept guessing or intrigued by complex characters or subtle plot.

Published on 27 Jun. 2011 by Chunky Monkey

4.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction to Reacher, 12 Mar. 2012
Mike Renshaw (Manchester) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Lee Child doesn't write the worlds greatest prose but it does work unusually well - it's almost like bullet points descriptions. For example "Reacher got in the car, he started the engine and began to drive".

Normally this kind of writing style wouldn't be to my personal preference but sets the scene well and flows the story along at a nice pace that makes for a compelling read.

The actual story is just about believable, but once you've read more of the Reacher tales then I'd suggest that this may have been better more along the timeline - but that's just me nitpicking on my part! The characters can be a little wooden at times, and some of the plot lines are stretching credibility (without spoiling too much, the location and two related people being there very close in time is unlikely) However, there has been a lot of reviews on the story and how good it is, and my advice is just to give it a try - at around £5 or so it's not a lot to loose but a lot to gain. Be warned though, you may just find it compelling enough to start reading them all one after the other just like I did!

Highly recommended as a good introduction to the character and his story, but there are stronger Reacher books hence the 4 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably one of the best thriller books I have ever read., 26 April 2001
By A Customer
I discovered Lee Child's work when I was given a novel for a present. I finished it in 2 days. 'THE KILLING FLOOR' is a dynamic, intricate thriller which literally keeps you turning the pages. The character of Jack Reacher is very strong; deceptively simply written and wholly engaging. He is quickly becoming one of my favourite fiction charcters. 'THE KILLING FLOOR' takes us through the perfect small-town America deep into the heart of Georgia. Here, Reacher becomes embroilled in a series of horrific killings - and recieves some news which makes the situation intensely personal. The relationships that the charcters develop balance the horror against which they are fighting, and up the stakes to breaking point. The story that unfolds is pacey; detailed and convoluted and manages to deliver a surprise with every turn of the page. Lee Child is one of the most talented writers to come out of England for many years. I hope the books continue with the same vitality that the predecessors have had. The films will be hardpressed to reproduce Reacher's dynamic charcter - good luck to them. If you intend to read one last book in your lifetime - read this one. Then read the rest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Introducing Jack Reacher, 26 Feb. 2015
This is not the first Jack Reacher book I have read so I did already knew who Jack Reacher is. Lee Child's creation is the modern day Conan. Meaning he is fully clothes, an expert on modern weapons (guns, switchblades, he could probably use a sword but does not yet), as well as unarmed combat. He is a big battle scared and tested fighter. He lives his life as a wonderer a leaf in the wind blown from one place to another usually finding adventure/trouble where he lands. The slight twist on the Jack Reacher character is that he has a Sherlock Holmes type of deductive skills.

Despite that fact that Jack does not use any flashy moves, his fighting style is to survive and take out the opponent as efficiently/ruthlessly as possible. These tend to be a head butt, snapping fingers, gorging eyes or nut shots. I really do enjoy the way Lee Child (through Jack Reacher's voice) explains the mechanics of the fight, from the best way to strangle someone to the counter.

On a whim Jack Reacher visits a sleepy small town, to look into a 63 year old murder. However he finds himself railroaded for a new murder as the only stranger in town. To start with the mystery is just a passing curiosity to him but when Reacher is personally involved, they mystery becomes a top priority, which must be solved even if he has to decimate half the people in town.

A great story and a great starting point to introduce fans to Jack. I especially like the way Child ties up all the loose ends, dealing with the aftermath as well. Not just saying the story is over buy the next book. The book is gripping and fast paced. Despite being over 500 pages, the book just seems to fly by. Very enjoyable read!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beware of light posts!, 6 Mar. 2001
Christine L (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
I'd already read "Die Trying" and "Tripwire" when I got this book and I was afraid that it wouldn't be as good as those two, since it was Mr Child's first novel. How wrong I was!!! It's absolutely brilliant and really difficult to put down. I started reading it when I went away on holiday and as I could not put it down while walking through the airport I only narrowly escaped an embarassing accident.
As with the other two Jack Reacher books that I've read, I think the plot is really clever and exciting, the characters are well developed and the scenery is very easy to visualise. And contrary to a lot of other series with the same main character I'm amazed at how different Mr Child has managed to make these books. I'm ready to read number 4!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Series Opener -if a little too straightforward, 27 Jun. 2011

The clichés about Small Town America were many and, being a UK citizen writing about people and places of the USA, Child's made a little too much effort to sound American. Count how many times he uses the phrase ". . . as he nosed the car out of the parking lot . . . as he nosed the car into traffic. . . " - I actually started to laugh out loud. One of the characters is described in a way that made me envisage him as Colonel Sanders complete with white suit, string neck tie and rootin', tootin' manner about the way he patronises town folk!

That said, you may get the impression from the above that I am extremely critical, yet strangely, I thoroughly enjoyed the pace of the book and the amount of 'stuff' that happens on almost every page. It was sufficiently satisfying that I have begun reading the second book and, no doubt, I will find myself hooked on the series.

I suppose, in many ways, it's a bit like first discovering John Grisham: You can't deny the 'readability' of his books, but they won't exactly challenge your intellect.

Great solid read, don't pass over due to some poor reviews here.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoy the ride - but don't look too deeply !, 15 May 2007
BikeMan (Reading, UK) - See all my reviews
Lee Child has a smooth, minimal, easy to read style - not a word or a sentence is wasted. This means that the plot moves along rapidly and plenty happens as the story flows at a good pace.

The main character is Jack Reacher who must be the ultimate hero - ultra-tough, resourceful and of course very attractive to the main female lead. So the main attraction of the story is seeing Jack blast through the action. Don't worry too much about the plot details - just enjoy Jack's progress as he uncovers the evil scheme, copes with the unexpected twsts and ultimately gets the bad guys (of course).

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible book!, 1 Mar. 2011
This is currently my favourite novel of all time.

It might not be very 'deep', but for pure literary enjoyment I've yet to read anything as gripping. The structure of the story is inch perfect, the pace spot on, the revelations brilliantly placed. I can't really offer up any criticisms. It's just an absorbing read from start to end.

Reacher is a fantastic lead character. It's no surprise to me he ended up spearheading countless other novels by the same author. This particular Reacher book is also blessed with an excellent female lead and a very disturbing bad guy. Even the locations are interesting (I'll doubt you'll read too many other thrillers set in Georgia and its surrounding areas). All in all, faultless.

4.0 out of 5 stars easy to read, 13 Jun. 2014
This is ideal if you do not sit reading for hours and like dipping in and out of a book. I can understand why some reviewers find the short concise sentences rather annoying as after a while the style can begin to grate on you. However the advantage of this is that it is easy to follow the plot and therefore if you cannot devote hours at a time to concentrating on a text, the style helps when coming back to the book after an absence. That is because the short sentences are easy to absorb

Not sure I will be reading lots of the Jack Reacher books but as an enjoyable easy read, this is certainly worthwhile

14/11/14 UPDATE

Having sort of enjoyed "The Killing Floor"

I tried reading the second book in the series and found the short sentences starting to become VERY annoying after a while. They stop all sense of story flow and in my opinion detract from any sense of excitement or suspense/intrigue. The best way for me to describe the style, would be the equivalent of an advert every 2 minutes on a televised film. It totally breaks up the flow of the action/dialogue.

It is a shame. I am sure Reacher stories are good. However I cannot continue to read them. Not in this stop start way. Four or Five word sentences. For hundreds of pages. It would drive me to despair. This shows what I mean. If someone talked to you. n this manner. Then started another sentence. When they should have continued. The previous one. I am sure you would. Go nuts!

AS you can see, it is like reading a string of 5 year olds sentences. It is very frustrating as I would like to read the rest of the stories, but maybe when they have be re-edited the books into grown ups sentences and paragraphs that you can read like a "normal book"

3.0 out of 5 stars A stretch of the imagination too far, 9 Jan. 2014
. If you want an easy read and don't want to challenge the probability of a story and events, this will satisfy your needs. If, however, you want to be realistic and can't accept a fantasy too far, then this book is not for you. Our 'hero' strays into a small town almost by accident and is immediately embroiled in a murder in which he is the number one suspect. And the deceased turns out to be his long lost brother. How likely is that?The town in which events unfold is just too good to be true. No one does much but there is a perfect infrastucture, clean, modern buildings and no signs of a recession or despair. Really? Would no one have missed this? The cenral premise concerns a serious crime syndicate which has found a novel (if highly unlikely) way of spreading untraceable counterfeit currency notes. The whole plot beggars belief and credibility has to be suspended. The characters are either good or bad and all rather obvious. Disappointed with this effort, which was the first in the JR series. I hope they get better.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'd want Jack Reacher on my side !, 4 Oct. 2011
Great thriller with real he-man hero, a trained killer who happens to be a bit of a lady killer too. The plot grips immediately, then you are swirled away until the end. Yes of course there are a couple of outrageous coincidences but you know what - it's a work of fiction ! I had no idea the author was English, the American voice was authentic enough for me, all credit to him. This book marks the start of a beautiful friendship!