5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic piece of high-tech/low-tech design

Published 13 months ago by Marek Rydz

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic piece of high-tech/low-tech design, 13 July 2013
J. Silver "The Occasional Jon" (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BioLite Camp Stove (Sports)
If you love elegant solutions you'll love the Biolite stove. A neat 1kg camp stove to carry everywhere. It lights quickly, and efficiently burns waste wood to boil water in no time at all, cook your food, or keep you warm. And to top it all, it even charges your phone, which is in many ways the universal modern survival tool if only the battery charge lasted long enough. Well, now it can. Enjoy your new wood-powered iPhone/GPS. We are!

5.0 out of 5 stars Biolite stove, 22 Mar. 2013
This review is from: BioLite Camp Stove (Sports)
Well I recieved this stove last week. After a lot of research and YouTube viewings i decided to take the plunge(its not cheap!!)!
As someone who likes gadgets and likes wild camping even more, this really appealed to me. Right off the bat the stove is well made and actually attractive. I conditioned the battery via mains as per instructions. The following day i made a fire. It smoked a fair amount while the wood was catching but once it started flaming and the fan kicks in there's very little smoke and it burns incredibly hot. Once the green LED came on i plugged my iPhone 4S into the stove and it charged no problem. I am yet to test on my ipad3 but I'm sure it'll work!

Overall i am happy with this stove, build quality and effectiveness. I will be doing a 4 day long camp trip on dartmoor over Easter so will update if anything significant happens. Happy camping!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing bit of kit that brings a smile to the face every time you use it, 13 Sept. 2013
H. Hughes - See all my reviews
This review is from: BioLite Camp Stove (Sports)
Things to like (and this is a gadget that scores highly):
Works really well - burns wood cleanly and hot, the only smoke is when you're lighting it. That said, it needs a plentiful supply of DRY twigs and wood - I wouldn't like to have to rely on stuff scavenged from the average damp UK campsite. For easy lighting I brought a bag with wood planings from the workshop floor for kindling (although the eco-firelighters supplied with the unit are fine) and a small sack of dry sticks. By way of testing its capabilities we cooked a large (3.5l) pan of pasta for 5 people - it brought it to the boil surprisingly quickly but it was essential to keep lifting the pan every 4 minutes to check on the fire and keep feeding in wood.
It packs down into a neat package - the fan/battery/charging unit fits inside the fire chamber when not in use, and it's surprisingly light. A lot of thought has gone into it and it seems well made.
Profits from sales apparently go towards funding a larger version for the developing world - the aim is to reduce pollution and mortality associated with traditional wood-burning stoves, and provide a way of charging mobile phones for those off-grid, so morally seems to be a "good company" (Amazon take note!). If they get that to market it would be great for family campers too and I'd be first in line.
No more guilty feelings about hydrocarbon use (OK, so you're probably driving to the campsite, but hey). No more empty gas canisters to dispose of.
We got plenty of curious glances from fellow campers (always ones to ogle other people's gear!) - it's great for gadget freaks.

Gripes (few, and mainly overcome by adjusting one's behaviour accordingly):
The little metal ring that sits on top to give extra stability to large pans is easy to lose (but not essential to the operation of the stove) - it tends to fall off when you empty out the ash. Solution: remember to put it in a safe place before you turn the unit upside down!
Because it has high heat output it munches wood pretty fast - one chamberful is enough to cook a quick meal but if you really needed to charge a mobile fully be prepared to sit and feed it for an hour or two minimum. That said, in an emergency it wouldn't take too long to charge a light or mobile partially just to get you out of trouble. But don't go expecting to be able to charge say an iPad while you fry your sausages - most of the generated output goes on powering the fan and replenishing the unit's own batteries; the USB charging takes from any excess and is a nice bonus, not the primary purpose of the stove. Solution: temper your expectations, and economise on phone use!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this stove, 19 Oct. 2013
Doug "Doug" (York, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: BioLite Camp Stove (Sports)
This is an excellent and groundbreaking stove

The key positives are

It is very easy to light
The fan ensures it burns without smoke
You can fuel it with pinecones as well as wood
It produces a very high heat
It boils water very quickly indeed
It is easy to clean
It comes with a small sack to stop soot getting on other items in your bag
It charges you phone and powers any other USB device

As a gadget freak, I have to add USB makes anything better!

The key issues are

It is heavy, fine for a day sack, but is hiking it is very heavy, but then a gas stove with canisters is also heavy
It does eat pine cones rather fast

Other than that I am struggling to find anything negative to say about this great little stove.

(The steak grill optional accessory is fantastic an takes this gadget to a whole new level....)

2.0 out of 5 stars Heavy and unreliable, 20 Feb. 2014
This review is from: BioLite Camp Stove (Sports)
It is really heavy and does not work correctly. I had Biolite during my last hike in Polish Bieszczady mountain and it had a hard time charging my Motorola Razr Maxx. Before trip I charged internal battery fully. Next I tried to charge my phone during winter night (it was February). I collected dry wood and started fire... and Biolite started to cycle between charging my phone for a few minutes to charging its internal battery for 5 minutes. I gave up after two hours and almost no charge to my phone. What do you do to have better luck with your Biolite?

5.0 out of 5 stars Camping Power, 13 May 2013
This review is from: BioLite Camp Stove (Sports)
Brilliant little device. Ideal for camping in Britain, especially if you have transport cos it is a bit bulky. But it is a real talking point.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cool gadget!, 13 Aug. 2013
This review is from: BioLite Camp Stove (Sports)
I have tested the stove at an outdoor shop and my conclusion is that this is a very cool and fun gadget, nothing more nothing less! As a backpacking bit of gear? Not for me! It cannot be used in heavy rain (according to manual), it produces a far too high flame to be used inside a tent vestibule, it's bulky and at 950g it's not light (and you still need a couple of pots to cook and boil water), the internal battery and fan makes me wonder how reliable this would be as a survival stove!?, plastic generator housing on a stove?...weird! 125£ for a gadget-stove?....I don't know! Ok, it charges my smart phone....but only if it doesn't rain and I keep feeding it sticks of wood overnight! I think for now I will stick to my gas and multifuel stoves, thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars this has got to be the camping gadget of the ..., 3 Oct. 2014
This review is from: BioLite Camp Stove (Sports)
this has got to be the camping gadget of the year ,, real cooking on wood that you collect your self from the floor on the forest

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 Nov. 2014
This review is from: BioLite Camp Stove (Sports)
What a great piece of kit, easy to light. Fantastic

5.0 out of 5 stars BioLite Camp Stove and my grandson. Amazon UK was perfect., 17 Jan. 2014
This review is from: BioLite Camp Stove (Sports)
My grandson loved it! I'm in the USA and Amazon UK was perfect for us. He is learning to camp, and this will fit in nicely.

BioLite Camp Stove