5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent piece of kit
An essential motorcycling accessory. The winding route planner feature is a great addition that completely changes the riding experience.

Last year I went on a 3k mile trour acroos europe on my street triple and bought a then top-of-the line garmin piece which left me entirely frustrated, prompting me to write a wishlist of what I would want to see in a SatNav...
Published 19 months ago by Michael

3.0 out of 5 stars Audio gets confused
Map detail, routes and menus are good. Have a previous Tom Tom so does all I was used to and expect.
I have tried to pair it with my Scala headset, and iphone and I also have a rider to pillion headset.
I know the rider to pillion and interface with the phone for music works fine.
Try and add the Tom Tom Rider and it all gets confused. Trying to revert back...
Published 18 months ago by Gary Hyett

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Sat Nav Convert, 5 Oct 2013
R. Wilkie - See all my reviews
This review is from: TomTom Rider v5 (Europe Maps, 4.3" Touchscreen) (Electronics)
For years I have ridden with mates who use Garmin Sat Navs and have been frustrated at the amount of time we have been lost and they have sat by the side of the road trying to re-programme the damned electronics. On the contrary, I used a good old fashioned map and always got us to the destination with a little bit of forward planning. But then I saw the TomTom Rider and decided to put aside my principles and take the plunge - I had just been nominated lead navigator for a group ride (serves me right I guess).

What a brilliant piece of kit.

I've just come back from 9 days travelling round the Ardennes, Black Forest and the Alps. Routes were planned in advance on Tyre and loaded onto the unit and the thing just worked brilliantly. Sure you learn a few bits along the way like where to put your waypoints but the TomTom is so intuitive that it is dead easy. I've linked mine to a Sena headset and the voice instructions are excellent. I've also linked my phone to it and the ability to have calls come in on the sat nav so you can see who is calling and decide whether to answer is a real bonus.

Others have said how good the windy route feature is and I can only agree. One of the best rides we had was when we changed plans and left it up the TomTom to find us a 60 mile route.

Will I ditch the maps - absolutely not. Any sat nav is an aid to navigation only and should be treated that way. You still need to have an idea of where you're going. But this bit of kit makes it a whole load easier.

Now need to start planning the routes for next year's trips. The TomTom will definitely be part of it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice piece of kit and a real step up from ..., 11 Sep 2014
Nice piece of kit and a real step up from my previous Rider 2nd addition in both ease of use, readability and the planning facilities. First one nearly survived 18 days and 3K miles in Central Europe in the worst rain I've ever ridden through! Nearly, because it proved not to be wholly waterproof and misted up after it's soaking. Amazon were quick and efficient in replacing immediately however..still a happy bunny overall.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Need to Get Lost, 19 July 2014
Easy to use but then we're used to Tomtom! Needed to buy a mount seperately as no handlebar space on our Yamaha FJR1300 but that was simple enough. Husband is very happy with his new toy, especially the windy routes function and it's a darned sight more effective than relying solely on a map in the tank bag, will take a map too though, just in case :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars TomTom was easy to mount on the bike & east to program ..., 25 Aug 2014
TomTom was easy to mount on the bike & east to program in a route too , I've used it to navigate my way around France & it has saved me a lot of time & fuel by going directly to where I want to go , the winding route feature is great too , I would recommend this model to anyone who was thinking about getting one .

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent as you would expect from the commoditiser of SatNav devices, 26 May 2014
Damien Sullivan (Peak District, England) - See all my reviews
Excellent kit, mounts easily, works well.
What would be REALLY nice is a 'windy roads' with a time limit feature...
Maybe it's there and I haven't found it but it would be cool to ask for the best route in say 2 hours...

5.0 out of 5 stars Bloody Fantastic, 13 Feb 2014
100% fantastic. good value good product. Easy use even with gloves on. would recomend to all bikers. Great, great, Great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 30 May 2013
Mr. N. N. Cox (UK) - See all my reviews
Great product and a super fast delivery. I will be taking for a European trial next week with all my preset routes logged in. Very simple to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real Tom Tom........ For your bike :-D, 10 Sep 2014
Great product - Weighty, sturdy, easy to use and connects through a wireless headset (if you have one) to give clear instructions.

I would advise not buying the separate TomTom Rider v2 Car Kit & Car Charger though to use this product in a car..... I tried 2 and they both failed miserably!!!

If you just want an easy to use Sat Nav for your bike, then get it and you will be happy with it, but don't expect to use it in your car and be aware that it doesn't have a built-in speaker, so no Bluetooth headset means no audio!

It also comes with "Tyre" software so you can plan routes, record routes and choose/share winding routes which is a nice touch :-)

Good bit of kit and I'm very pleased with mine.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT PIECE OF KIT, 3 Sep 2014
This is a fantastic piece of essential touring kit, easy to use and set up. The features are brilliant especially the winding road routing. I have just used it for a 7 day tour of Scotland, the roads it takes you on are amazing and you would never find them if it wasn't for the tom tom. You can also programme your entire route from home before you leave which is a great feature. Amazon was the best price by far and if you like to ride distances this will not disappoint you. plus with free lifetime maps you will always be up to date. I chose the tom tom over the Garmin based on research/reviews and i am very pleased with my purchase.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy if you want music from your phone through the Rider v5 - doesn't do it, 30 Aug 2014
Martin Barnes (Berks., UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this satnav as it's designed to connect to both a headset and a mobile phone via bluetooth. Connecting the phone to the Satnav is TomTom's preferred / recommended option.(so that you can use hands free caling etc...)

So, when you have your music on your phone, you would expect this to be able to be played through the TomTom Rider to your headset. After all, it can manage this with a phone call.

Wrong - the Rider will not play music from your phone through to your headset.

So you have to pair your phone to your headset, not the Rider v5, and have to have your Rider paired to the headset, as well.

If you do this, you lose the phone to Rider connectivity, which is one of TomTom's selling points for the Rider v5 in the first place!!

Or resort to a cable from your phone to the headset. But wasn't bluetooth supposed to do away with cable getting tangeld up everywhere?

As a satnav it's okay, a few useful features, but i really wonder what the designers were (not) thinking of when they omiited the capability to transfer musc from your phone.

Wish i'd known this before i bought the rider, might have chosen a sat nav with music capability or one that will play music from the phone.

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›