5.0 out of 5 stars Scanners (Don't) Live In Vain
I bought this specifically to resurrect three decades' worth of negatives and slides, both 35mm and 120 format. I have had a great time playing with it so far and the results have been appreciated by family members and friends via Facebook.

Published 12 months ago by Ian Burdon

1.0 out of 5 stars Completely useless as a negative scanner
I bought this scanner mainly to import years of 35mm negatives. Unfortunately this scanner is completely useless for that as all the photos it produces are soft and not good enough quality.

As a pure scanner, it is great. This is shown by getting better results from scanning a print rather than the negative that print was created from. But for negatives it is a...
Published 5 months ago by Gerard McGovern

5.0 out of 5 stars Scanners (Don't) Live In Vain, 11 July 2013
Ian Burdon "iansb" (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon Canoscan 9000F MK II All-in-One Scanner (Accessory)

Although there are some things I'd like to tweak, particularly the sharpness of the scans which can be a little soft, this may be because I haven't yet got fully to grips with the software settings. Aside from that, I find that running the scans through LightRoom means that I can very quickly produce pictures that are certainly good enough for on line viewing.

What has been a revelation is that pictures that I have long thought to be dreadful with blown out highlights and poor contrast turn out to be pretty decent when the negs. are scanned, the original poor quality prints being a result of the developers' machines averaging out every exposure. That, of course, is why slides where preferred for decent results and I'm happy to say that scanning slides is as quick and easy as negatives. The consequence is that pics from assorted gigs in the early nineteen eighties turn out to be quite usable rather than the over-exposed mess I had thought them to be.

Similarly, all those old pics with an orange cast because of tungsten lightbulbs are easily colour corrected (using LightRoom, I haven't bothered with the Canon software).

It is excellent for Black and white negs.

Although I have some reservations about the sharpness of the results if the aim is to produce critical quality prints, I am conscious that this is not a full price professional machine but one for home use and I have given 5* on that basis.

4.0 out of 5 stars Canon Cano Scan 9000F Mk II scanner, 2 Dec 2013
"Bilgescraper" (Shropshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon Canoscan 9000F MK II All-in-One Scanner (Accessory)
I purchased this scanner because my previous hardware [a Cano Scan 8800F] had developed a fault which I could not rectify.

In typical Amazon style the scanner arrived very quickly and was extremely simple to both install and get running. Having being extremely happy with my previous scanner [ which was virtually identical] I was expecting to be presented with the same simple Scan Gear software that came with the 8800F and was surprised to find I was not; instead I discovered a program entitled My Image Garden - more of this later! Sadly, unlike our cousins over the Atlantic we in Europe don't get free bundled Adobe Photoshop software with our Cano Scan 9000F's, and yet we pay pound per dollar for the hardware!

Let me say that the Cano Scan 9000F is NOT a compact slim device but a serious chunk of technology that's over 18" long, 10" wide, and 4" deep so it does demand some serious desk space. Let me also say that for anyone that's satisfied with the results of a run of the mill combined printer/scanner this chunk of hardware is definitely OTT. However for those who need fast [about 7 second from cold] high quality scans [up to 4800dpi], and particularly those who need to scan negatives, photographs, or film strips in both 35mm and medium format, this is a remarkable good scanner for the money.

As with my previous machine the new Canon uses LED lighting and thus warms up in mere seconds. However there have been some improvements in both design and software and these include the lack of a "power brick" [why cant everybody do this?] the neat way in which the lid stays up on its own [ a boon if doing a batch of scans] and the ability to scan objects up to about an inch thick - so copying the odd page from a text book is a doddle. The machine also comes with various film/slide masks which are of excellent quality and simple to use.

As on previous versions this scanner has a number of "short cut" buttons on the front panel which enable you to scan a document,create a PDF, copy a page, or send a scan as an email - most useful, but you have to set the software up before they work! But as most of my work is either done in Photoshop or Acrobat [both of which instantly recognised the 9000F] they are rarely used.

And now we come to the matter of the supplied and oddly named "My Image Garden" software. Those that have not had a top of the range Cano Scan before will probably find their way round the software quite quickly but I personally found it to be both clunky and unintuitive compared to Scan Gear which was simple to learn and worked very well. It is for this reason that I have not given the Cano Scan 9000F a five star rating. Having said this you will find, if you look hard enough, the very effective tools, such as Flare, that Canon have developed to get rid of blemishes on old photographs and negatives which really do work well and are far easier most people to use than the complex tools in Photoshop.

I have had many scanners over the years, from numerous manufacturers, and whilst they have all worked satisfactorily I have personally found that the top end Cano Scans have consistently performed the best and have been quite long lived considering the large and varied amount of work they have been asked to do. Only time will tell but so far, with the exception of the supplied software, I am delighted with the Cano Scan 9000F and would confidently recommend it to anyone needing quality scanning facilities.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ponderous but effective, 22 July 2013
This review is from: Canon Canoscan 9000F MK II All-in-One Scanner (Accessory)
I have a lot of 35mm slides and a need to create space as well as relive my youth which exists mainly on these slides which I never look at so I bit the bullet and bought this. Firstly is very large - about 1.5 times the length of an A4 sheet and quite a bit wider. It has full Windows 7 drivers which is significant as many scanners now do not, connects though USB and requires a separate mains power supply. It comes with a light source in the lid as well as the base and this allows it to scan slides and film strips. It comes with carriers for 35mm strip and slides (4 at a time) and 120 film. The software is excellent - you get slide previews and you can then correct for backlight, fading, grain, sharpness as well as set resolutions all the way up to 9600. I am using 4800 and it generates a file in excess of 11Meg for each slide so beware. The most remarkable part is the dust and scratch removal which is well nigh perfect. It uses a fourth sensor to pick up infrared which goes through the slide but not through dust and so recognises the particles. It then fills in the dots using info from the pixels surrounding the flaw. Ponderous - yes, because of the file size and the fact it takes around 3 minutes to scan each slide. However the results exceed my expectations. it is also a very high quality flat bed document scanner

5.0 out of 5 stars Great scanner, 28 July 2013
This review is from: Canon Canoscan 9000F MK II All-in-One Scanner (Accessory)
This scanner can cope with 35mm negs and Slides (and others with custom made adapters). Scan is fast and quality is very nice. Features include automatic dust removal, scanning to PDF, removal of moire from printed materials. Very good.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good scanner with some needlessly complicated software., 1 Oct 2013
This review is from: Canon Canoscan 9000F MK II All-in-One Scanner (Accessory)
Had this scanner for a few days and its working really well. It's quick and high quality, my only complaint is with the software and why it's so needlessly complicated to set where the images will be saved. You have to set this up before you scan your document or photo, also it won't be saved into the folder until you close the software for reasons that are completely beyond my understanding. Otherwise its a good scanner at a good price.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good all rounder, 30 Nov 2013
This review is from: Canon Canoscan 9000F MK II All-in-One Scanner (Accessory)
I wanted something to replace my old Epson to make a start on the squillions of old slides and negatives just fading away in my office. Being the owner of a shiny new Windows 64 bit set up I was less than impressed with the hoops one has to jump through just to get Epson drivers to work. As I wanted to simply archive I went for this Canon because it is ideal for 64 bit, works straight out of the box and one doesn't need the brains of an IT scientist or a savvy 5 year old to get past any of the (hardly) technical stuff. Performance-wise the Canon is as versatile as one could wish for without entering the very expensive world of pro spec models out there. Quality-wise, if there is a criticism, this scanner produces standard scans that are a tad too soft for my liking. Easily corrected of course but this is something to consider if you have no post-scan facility such as Photoshop etc. If you are looking for a simple, easy to use and versatile scanner then this is the fellow. At under 200 it was a real bargain. Do I love it? No, of course not. This will never set you up in the pro scanning business but it has brought a generation of almost forgotten times back to life for me and that is just above and beyond my expectations for such a basic item. So I do like it? Yes. A lot. The quality, after my own post scanning tweaks, is exceptional. I does help if one starts with good quality originals (In my case Rolliflex medium format). Prints and documents take seconds whilst 35mm and medium format slides and negatives, colour and monochrome, take on average around a minute each. I researched long and hard for the right scanner for me and I seem to have found it. If you are a techie, an image nerd or just need to get out more then keep reading the reviews and lose lots of time you will never get back, otherwise buy one of these. At sub 200, it has to be worth a punt. Unless you are one of the above described, I doubt that you will be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am very pleased with this scanner, 26 Nov 2013
This review is from: Canon Canoscan 9000F MK II All-in-One Scanner (Accessory)
I am very pleased with this scanner. Easy to set up and use. Copies prints 35mm film and slides. I would not want to be without it. I can now transfer all my old prints to digital images for ease of storage.

4.0 out of 5 stars Canon Canoscan 9000F Mk11 All in one Scanner., 22 Feb 2014
This review is from: Canon Canoscan 9000F MK II All-in-One Scanner (Accessory)
I bought this scanner mainly to digitalise my numerous slides. Setting up was easy, but it does take a fair amount of desk space. It comes with holders to take 35mm Slides, Film and larger format slides. You can of course Copy A4 sheets and it has other functions, but I expect most people have an MFP to do this. One needs to take out the normal backing plate to fit the holders, but this is simple. To avoid wasted time and effort one needs to insert slides and film THE CORRECT WAY AROUND as per the diagrams on the holders. The scanner itself has an Autoscan button which gives access to reasonable software to adjust ones slides, but a desktop icon gives access to many more functions including SCANGEAR which has many more facilities including scratch removal, backlight enhancement, Colour Histograms etc. Although the Canoscan has much higher resolution than ordinary scanners/copiers the very high settings give rise to very large files which I could not actually use.
Overall this Scanner gives very good results, but it does need some time to master the finer points and the software could be more helpful at times.

5.0 out of 5 stars ~Very Useful, 4 Nov 2013
This review is from: Canon Canoscan 9000F MK II All-in-One Scanner (Accessory)
An excellent scanner, albeit I find the terminology a bit confusing but it is fast with good colour reproduction and ability to enhance photos. I haven't used the colour slide option yet, but will eventually. Works with Windows 8 which was the reason I got rid of the old HP scanner and bought this one. Very pleased with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good results, 2 Nov 2013
This review is from: Canon Canoscan 9000F MK II All-in-One Scanner (Accessory)
The scanner was very easy to set up and use. Gives very good scans using the built-in software, or VueScan. Packs away nicely in the box for storage when not suing it, and the box has a decent handle for taking it out and about. Overall, very happy with this purchase.