5.0 out of 5 stars Scanners (Don't) Live In Vain
I bought this specifically to resurrect three decades' worth of negatives and slides, both 35mm and 120 format. I have had a great time playing with it so far and the results have been appreciated by family members and friends via Facebook.

Published 17 months ago by Ian Burdon

1.0 out of 5 stars what is the point of the buttons
I have spent a week with Canon support and cannot associate the buttons with any scanning application. Canon dropped MP navigator EX which worked with the C9000F Mark I and replaced it with IJ Scan and My Image Garden. Both of these programs will scan but cannot be associated with the buttons on the scanner (so far).
My Image Garden is mainly an image management...
Published 8 months ago by AFG

5.0 out of 5 stars Scanners (Don't) Live In Vain, 11 July 2013
Ian Burdon "iansb" (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon Canoscan 9000F MK II All-in-One Scanner (Accessory)

Although there are some things I'd like to tweak, particularly the sharpness of the scans which can be a little soft, this may be because I haven't yet got fully to grips with the software settings. Aside from that, I find that running the scans through LightRoom means that I can very quickly produce pictures that are certainly good enough for on line viewing.

What has been a revelation is that pictures that I have long thought to be dreadful with blown out highlights and poor contrast turn out to be pretty decent when the negs. are scanned, the original poor quality prints being a result of the developers' machines averaging out every exposure. That, of course, is why slides where preferred for decent results and I'm happy to say that scanning slides is as quick and easy as negatives. The consequence is that pics from assorted gigs in the early nineteen eighties turn out to be quite usable rather than the over-exposed mess I had thought them to be.

Similarly, all those old pics with an orange cast because of tungsten lightbulbs are easily colour corrected (using LightRoom, I haven't bothered with the Canon software).

It is excellent for Black and white negs.

Although I have some reservations about the sharpness of the results if the aim is to produce critical quality prints, I am conscious that this is not a full price professional machine but one for home use and I have given 5* on that basis.

4.0 out of 5 stars Canon Cano Scan 9000F Mk II scanner, 2 Dec 2013
"Bilgescraper" (Shropshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon Canoscan 9000F MK II All-in-One Scanner (Accessory)
I purchased this scanner because my previous hardware [a Cano Scan 8800F] had developed a fault which I could not rectify.

In typical Amazon style the scanner arrived very quickly and was extremely simple to both install and get running. Having being extremely happy with my previous scanner [ which was virtually identical] I was expecting to be presented with the same simple Scan Gear software that came with the 8800F and was surprised to find I was not; instead I discovered a program entitled My Image Garden - more of this later! Sadly, unlike our cousins over the Atlantic we in Europe don't get free bundled Adobe Photoshop software with our Cano Scan 9000F's, and yet we pay pound per dollar for the hardware!

Let me say that the Cano Scan 9000F is NOT a compact slim device but a serious chunk of technology that's over 18" long, 10" wide, and 4" deep so it does demand some serious desk space. Let me also say that for anyone that's satisfied with the results of a run of the mill combined printer/scanner this chunk of hardware is definitely OTT. However for those who need fast [about 7 second from cold] high quality scans [up to 4800dpi], and particularly those who need to scan negatives, photographs, or film strips in both 35mm and medium format, this is a remarkable good scanner for the money.

As with my previous machine the new Canon uses LED lighting and thus warms up in mere seconds. However there have been some improvements in both design and software and these include the lack of a "power brick" [why cant everybody do this?] the neat way in which the lid stays up on its own [ a boon if doing a batch of scans] and the ability to scan objects up to about an inch thick - so copying the odd page from a text book is a doddle. The machine also comes with various film/slide masks which are of excellent quality and simple to use.

As on previous versions this scanner has a number of "short cut" buttons on the front panel which enable you to scan a document,create a PDF, copy a page, or send a scan as an email - most useful, but you have to set the software up before they work! But as most of my work is either done in Photoshop or Acrobat [both of which instantly recognised the 9000F] they are rarely used.

And now we come to the matter of the supplied and oddly named "My Image Garden" software. Those that have not had a top of the range Cano Scan before will probably find their way round the software quite quickly but I personally found it to be both clunky and unintuitive compared to Scan Gear which was simple to learn and worked very well. It is for this reason that I have not given the Cano Scan 9000F a five star rating. Having said this you will find, if you look hard enough, the very effective tools, such as Flare, that Canon have developed to get rid of blemishes on old photographs and negatives which really do work well and are far easier most people to use than the complex tools in Photoshop.

I have had many scanners over the years, from numerous manufacturers, and whilst they have all worked satisfactorily I have personally found that the top end Cano Scans have consistently performed the best and have been quite long lived considering the large and varied amount of work they have been asked to do. Only time will tell but so far, with the exception of the supplied software, I am delighted with the Cano Scan 9000F and would confidently recommend it to anyone needing quality scanning facilities.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ponderous but effective, 22 July 2013
This review is from: Canon Canoscan 9000F MK II All-in-One Scanner (Accessory)
I have a lot of 35mm slides and a need to create space as well as relive my youth which exists mainly on these slides which I never look at so I bit the bullet and bought this. Firstly is very large - about 1.5 times the length of an A4 sheet and quite a bit wider. It has full Windows 7 drivers which is significant as many scanners now do not, connects though USB and requires a separate mains power supply. It comes with a light source in the lid as well as the base and this allows it to scan slides and film strips. It comes with carriers for 35mm strip and slides (4 at a time) and 120 film. The software is excellent - you get slide previews and you can then correct for backlight, fading, grain, sharpness as well as set resolutions all the way up to 9600. I am using 4800 and it generates a file in excess of 11Meg for each slide so beware. The most remarkable part is the dust and scratch removal which is well nigh perfect. It uses a fourth sensor to pick up infrared which goes through the slide but not through dust and so recognises the particles. It then fills in the dots using info from the pixels surrounding the flaw. Ponderous - yes, because of the file size and the fact it takes around 3 minutes to scan each slide. However the results exceed my expectations. it is also a very high quality flat bed document scanner

4.0 out of 5 stars A good scanner with some needlessly complicated software., 1 Oct 2013
This review is from: Canon Canoscan 9000F MK II All-in-One Scanner (Accessory)
Had this scanner for a few days and its working really well. It's quick and high quality, my only complaint is with the software and why it's so needlessly complicated to set where the images will be saved. You have to set this up before you scan your document or photo, also it won't be saved into the folder until you close the software for reasons that are completely beyond my understanding. Otherwise its a good scanner at a good price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Canon Canoscan 9000F Mk11 All in one Scanner., 22 Feb 2014
This review is from: Canon Canoscan 9000F MK II All-in-One Scanner (Accessory)
I bought this scanner mainly to digitalise my numerous slides. Setting up was easy, but it does take a fair amount of desk space. It comes with holders to take 35mm Slides, Film and larger format slides. You can of course Copy A4 sheets and it has other functions, but I expect most people have an MFP to do this. One needs to take out the normal backing plate to fit the holders, but this is simple. To avoid wasted time and effort one needs to insert slides and film THE CORRECT WAY AROUND as per the diagrams on the holders. The scanner itself has an Autoscan button which gives access to reasonable software to adjust ones slides, but a desktop icon gives access to many more functions including SCANGEAR which has many more facilities including scratch removal, backlight enhancement, Colour Histograms etc. Although the Canoscan has much higher resolution than ordinary scanners/copiers the very high settings give rise to very large files which I could not actually use.
Overall this Scanner gives very good results, but it does need some time to master the finer points and the software could be more helpful at times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great scanner, 28 July 2013
This review is from: Canon Canoscan 9000F MK II All-in-One Scanner (Accessory)
This scanner can cope with 35mm negs and Slides (and others with custom made adapters). Scan is fast and quality is very nice. Features include automatic dust removal, scanning to PDF, removal of moire from printed materials. Very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Results, 29 Oct 2014
This review is from: Canon Canoscan 9000F MK II All-in-One Scanner (Accessory)
I haven't had this long, but it's already been a steady workhorse and everything I expect of a Canon product. Excellent results, easy to use (though on a Mac I'd recommend not using the default Quick Menu and stick to Scan Utility, as the Quick software isn't very reliable).

I've tried using the auto dust removal, and it does a pretty decent job, removing dust without degrading quality, but it doesn't remove everything. I prefer to do this by hand anyway, so not a negative for me.

I'd also recommend not using the auto detect for crop either, as it isn't the most accurate, though a lot better than some other scanners I've used, and a lot better than previous Canon scanners.

It may seem like I'm pointing out faults, but not really, just recommendations - there are workarounds that I stick to and as a result produce brilliant scans, which is what I bought it for. Ability to scan so many different types of original is the main reason I bought this as an update to an older scanner, and it is faster too. The PDF feature works very well too, automatically creating multi-page PDF files - great time saving feature.

Quick word about aftercare - mine developed a fault just over a month after purchase, so outside of Amazon's replacement service. So I contacted Canon. Spoke to a very knowledgeable chap who walked me through a way of hopefully correcting the fault, but also sent details of the service centre too, just in case. Glad to report the fault was correctly diagnosed and sorted via the phone, so about an hour after finding the problem I was back up and running again. (That hour includes searching through Amazon trying to find what to do in case of a fault.)

5.0 out of 5 stars CanoScan 9000F Mk.2 - 35 mm colour negative scans excellent, 5 Oct 2014
This review is from: Canon Canoscan 9000F MK II All-in-One Scanner (Accessory)
On the box it says “9600dpi CCD High Speed Scanner with Professional Film Scanning Quality”. I bought it expressly for this reason. I am a home user who wants to organise a drawer full of photos and negatives. Here’s how I got on.
It took me about half an hour to get the CanoScan up and running with Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 (PSE) under Windows 7. There were no problems at all. The CanoScan can be used without PSE (and My Image Garden). One has to remember to unlock the CanoScan mechanics with the slider at the top right of the platen and similarly when finished to lock it again for transport.
I did four comparative tests using the supplied ScanGear driver (version 19.0.2, LLD version 1.0.3.0), a Canon Pixma MG 5450 three-in-one printer, and a test negative of a photo taken with an Olympus OM 2N with an Olympus Zuiko 50mm OM f1.2 lens on Fujicolor ASA 200 film.
(1) I scanned a negative with 3,400 dpi output resolution and saved it as a JPEG file with setting 11 in PSE (very high quality). This resulted in an image size of 44,541 KB, file size 3,591 KB, and dimensions 4,805 x 3,184. These numbers are comparable with those produced by a Canon EOS 1D Mark 4 top-of-the-range digital camera. The image was well focused and resolved details, such as bricks in a wall, and buds on a shrub.
(2) I also saved the scan from (1) in no-loss TIF format. On screen the resultant image looked the same but the storage requirement was that of the image size. On my computer screen it looked no better than the one from test (1). These two tests greatly exceed the capability of my printer.
(3) I scanned the negative again with 2,600 dpi output resolution and saved it as a JPEG file with setting 6 (medium quality) in PSE. The image size was 25 MB. The storage size was 586 KB, and the dimensions 2,418 x 3,683. (25 MB is calculated by ScanGear for an output (print) resolution of 300dpi for printing A4 output size). On my computer screen this image was as good as the ones from tests (1) and (2) but, of course, cannot be enlarged as much.
(4) For reference I also have a 4 x 6 inch photo from the test negative which was produced at the time the film was processed. The focus and resolution at that size are identical though the colour rendering of the scanned image is slightly different. When a scanner converts a negative to a positive this needs to take into account the colour profile of the film emulsion. I have experimented with the image adjustments that can be performed in ScanGear. In this case, simply by applying Backlight Correction set to low I got the colour, contrast and brightness close to those of the photo - in fact, my scan photo is better.
Finally, there were a few specs of dust on the negative. Deploying ScanGear Dust and Scratch Removal on the light setting increased the scan time from two minutes to about four minutes. So it’s a good idea to remove dust first. However, it worked very effectively, and presumably would do so for a scratched negative.
I also scanned a couple of photographs and brochure pages on my Canon Pixma MG 5450 three-in-one printer in order to compare the results with the CanoScan. I found no significant differences. Incidentally, the Pixma MG 5450 in scan mode uses the same ScanGear software as the CanoScan without, of course, the film bit.
I had bought the Canon CanoScan 9000F Mark 2 expressly for scanning 35 mm negatives. I’m glad to see that in this respect it does exactly what it says on the box – with a little adjustment it produces professional results as near as I can tell.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome beast, 9 May 2014
This review is from: Canon Canoscan 9000F MK II All-in-One Scanner (Accessory)
I'm finally getting round to digitising the vast array of slides, photos, negatives, documents etc. I've been collecting over the years and which are cluttering my house and which never get looked at. I was hoping that my current multifunction HP printer/scanner would do the trick but found it very clunky and not particularly good quality despite using an excellent Mac scanning app instead of the HP software. Quality is important so I looked for the best home use scanner I could afford.

In short, purchased this Canoscan based on reviews and so far have been very impressed. Make no mistake, this is a bit of a beast size and weight wise but the results have been excellent and the Auto Scan feature along with the Mac version software provided is very quick and easy to use.

What has really impressed me is the results from this test. I sprinkled 5 photo booth pictures around the glass without aligning them in any way and pressed the Auto Scan button. It found them all, produced separate scanned images for each photo and aligned them all vertically. This means that although there is no auto feed capability, I can scan maybe 6 photos at once and leave the Canon to sort them out. Brilliant.

The slide scanning has been equally easy using auto scan, the supplied holder and easily removing the normal white plate.

So far, very much recommended if quality and ease of use is what you are after and the size, weight and cost are not so important.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am very pleased with this scanner, 26 Nov 2013
This review is from: Canon Canoscan 9000F MK II All-in-One Scanner (Accessory)
I am very pleased with this scanner. Easy to set up and use. Copies prints 35mm film and slides. I would not want to be without it. I can now transfer all my old prints to digital images for ease of storage.