on 19 June 2013
This is a perfect computer for person which needs an extra laptop at home and is really on low budget. With the price £299 including P&P it is really an excellent deal. It was even delivered way before the first estimated date.

Computer is suitable for everyday work (internet, email, Office applications) but it is definitely not designed for gaming and more advanced software. Because it has already installed Windows 8 it requires a bit of time to adjust it to your needs or at least to the Windows 7 design but the good think is that it can be achieved with a little help from internet.

- nice design
- spill-resistant keyboard (haven't tried that yet)
- quite fast processor like for that price range - Core i3-3120M
- 1x4GB RAM - easy to increase buying second one
- comfortable keyboard
- very fast start

- pre-installed Windows 8 - nightmare of our times till the 8.1 release
- everything made from black plastic - looks cheep from a closer range
- poor graphic card Intel HD 4000

All in all product worth its price.
on 2 June 2013
I have had my old Acer laptop for about 3-4 years now and it was getting a bit old in the tooth but still works fine, but I needed a new laptop to run some new programs.

Not wanting to spend a lot of money I set a budget of about £300 and Amazon came up with a list which included the Fujitsu LIFEBOOK AH532 for £290 with free delivery. The spec looked good and I felt it would run my latest CAD, photo, drawing and video software plus play some of my older and newer games. I read a lot of reviews of the previous model, which had a glossy finish, and made it worth a punt.

I liked the clean look and the fact the new model had a mat finish and screen and a good spec for the money.

Ordering the laptop about 3.00PM and paying an extra £4.00 for next day delivery it arrived at 8.30AM the next morning, which is not bad considering that I live on the Isle of Wight.

Unboxing the Fujitsu I found the battery already installed which for a moment I had thought the reason it was about £140 cheaper than other sellers were selling it for was because it did not come with a battery.
Plugging the power cable in and turning it on and setting it up, I was confronted with the dreaded Windows 8. The OS which is slated by one and all.

Being an old fart and have an aversion to guides and believe that tech should be intuitive, I muddled on.
Now some prat at MicroSoft thought they would do a new upgrade version of Windows 7 and make it touchscreen and put it on ALL new computers even if they do not have that facility. Their adverts clearly show the OS being used on touchscreen computers only.

I have used a touchscreen computer about three years before and do not like them and prefer a trackerball or Waco tablet, but hanging your arm in space all day ain't for me. On a PC Tablet or Smartphone yes, but not a laptop or pc monitor.

Windows 7 had a couple of flaws (so I am told) which could have been tidied up but not a complete turn around and shakeup.

But I still give the Fujitsu 5 stars as I am very pleased with the laptops build and quality, price, it's also lighter than my Acer, and it runs so far everything I have asked it to do. Start up is quick, which might be down to the Windows 8
The picture quality is very nice. No it's not retina quality, dummy, as it cost me less than 300 quid. So don't try and compare it to an MacBook at £1400.

All in all I would recommend this laptop even though it has Windows 8 OS installed, which I have learned to live with. On average it takes me one or two extra clicks to do some operations, but I seem not to notice this so much now.

To me touch screen is just a gimmick, a fad which has no use on this or any laptop if you think about it.
Tablets, smartphones, yes.

Update 19/07/13
Although I am well pleased with this laptop I have given it to my partner as her 7 year old Fujitsu laptop has started to slow down due to newer software.
Within a couple of hours she had found an add-on that makes Windows 8 look and run like Windows 7.
Hopefully she will be putting a link and possibly a small tutorial to this program. She works in and teaches computer science.
In the meantime I have bought the i5 version of this laptop and had the add-on fitted, and it works a dream with the start button working and functioning exactly as in 7.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 July 2013
I've had a small notebook before for my portable computing but decided that as my desktop was on the way out it was time to invest in a reasonably priced laptop.
For £300 I am very impressed with the Fujitsu. It my not have the speed of my desktop but it is still fast enough for all my general computing needs. The desktop now is my gaming computer while this is my general use and business computer.trackpa
The display is nice and clear and video playback is perfectly acceptable, when I want better colour rendition I just plug it into my TV for excellent playback of streaming media.
I find the trackpad a little to sensitive to use but when I'm at a desk working I use a remote mouse and keyboard so that's not a problem overall.
Windows 8 takes a little getting used to but after studying a few Youtube videos and playing about with it for a few hours I do now quite like the system. It can be a little cumbersome at times because you have to click 2 or 3 times to get to a programme in Windows8 when you could get to it in 1 or 2 clicks in Windows 7. Apart from that it is not too bad a system.
The only issue I have with the Fujitsu lifebook was the way it came ready partitioned. C drive had an incredibly small amount of space while d drive had a large amount of space. For none technical savvy people this adds on a lot of extra learning curve to understand how to use a portioned computer. It's not convenient and the computer should come unpartioned. Those in the know can quickly partion the disk themselves while normal users can just get on with using the computer out of the box.
Personally I prefer the convenience of an unpartioned drive so I got rid of d drive which is easy to do.
For those who prefer a large c drive;
download and install the home version of partition magic [...]
run the programme and select d drive, delete and apply.
then select c drive, right click and select expand and then select all the unallocated space using the slider and then apply.

your c drive will then take on all the d drive allocation.

Had the lifebook come out the box in an unpartioned form then I would have given the product 5 stars but I took off a star because of the inconvenience of this issue.

Overall though I'm impressed with the amount of computer I got for the money and very impressed with the speed of delivery.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 May 2013
Excellent! Great price for specs. fast, good for simple gaming !!! incuding Minecraft. Would recommend! Disk drive isn't to sturdy when open but does the job. Quite heavy but isn't too much. Lots of USB ports (4) so lots of room for connecting a mouse etc. Looks professional and clean. Keyboard is nice isn't to spongy. Windows 8 can be annoying but as soon as your in desktop mode its great.
on 29 July 2013
For what you're getting here, this is a brilliant price, I don't think you'll find better elsewhere.

It looks and feels far nicer than my old custom £600 laptop and seems to control temperature much better.

Overall, a very good purchase, I would thoroughly recommend this.

For those of you worried about Windows 8's Metro tile type view, this can easily be changed back to traditional desktop view, and actually to my surprise I liked the new setup, so don't let that put you off.

on 27 September 2013
I previously had a Fujitsu Amilo that lasted me a good four and a half years of heavy-duty usage (work and leisure), so when I needed to buy a new one I opted for the same brand. I was a little in doubt over this one at first, as it was cheaper than my other one and some of the reviews were not overly positive. But, in the end, I decided to go with the 'devil I know' and give it a try.

I am certainly not disappointed. If anything, despite the lower price, I feel that Fujitsu computers have really improved since my last purchase, and this is certainly more sturdy - I dropped my Lifebook AH532 really hard the other week and screen and components have all survived intact. It is beautifully light-weight, doesn't heat up too much and makes less noise than my old one, which is great. Also, I spend hours pouring over the written word, so the extra-wide screen is a real bonus as well.

Does everything it says on the tin and more... Now let's see if it lasts just as long as my faithful Amilo...
on 10 September 2013
Purchased this to replace an old Asus machine, I'd had no previous experience of Fujitsu products so was initially a little wary as to be expected, but decided to take the plunge due to the fantastic price this was at the time I purchased it. Really pleased that I decided to go ahead with that now, the laptop has a great spec for what I paid for it and it runs perfectly smoothly too, this was my 1st experience with Windows 8 & I have to say that I'm surprisingly impressed with it, due to all the negativity which surrounds it in it's various reviews. It is a little different but once you figure it out (which wasn't anywhere near as difficult as it's made out to be by some in my experience) it's actually quite a vast improvement on previous versions of Windows. All in all I'd happily recommend this and any other Fujitsu laptop in the same range if the price was right, extremely pleased with my purchase as stated.
on 23 August 2013
This is a very cheap laptop for what you are getting. The build quality is a bit flimsy but not too bad, the screen looks a little washed out and the styling is fairly bland. But you are getting a fairly fast processor with a graphics core that can play older games fairly well for a very good price. I replaced the hard drive with a spare SSD I had available which makes it very responsive. Windows 8 boots even quicker than Windows 7 so I'm at the desktop in a little over 10 seconds from pressing the power button.

Overall a pretty good buy
on 27 July 2013
Great value for money. Good battery life. Fast in processing windows applications and programs. U can even play games (in low to med settings) and it will still be quiet and not overheated.
on 19 July 2013
Decent laptop, purchased for a very reasonable price. Once I've got used to windows 8, it may be liked even more!

See one answered question