on 24 September 2013
This is a really good TV especially with the pin sharp picture on Freeview HD or off DVDs. The Freeview HD is astonishingly good and does have the effect of making the other channels look very diffuse by comparison. Easy set-up and we were away in minutes. There is so little frame around the edge of the screen that the TV is far less obtrusive than other examples of this screen size that are just a few years old. We were using a borrowed 42" - this new 39" Panasonic looks far smaller with very little impact on screen size.

Downside is that there is no VGA connector to link it to a laptop - that surprised me; however, you can get a VGA to HDMI converter cable and do it that way.
on 19 April 2014
My Samsung 32" screen had started to fail so time came to buy a new television. From the plethora of tele's on the market I opted for the TXL39B6B after seeing it in a shop. The picture quality is great and the sound is clear and crisp. For £329 it was great value for money when I didn't need the extra SMART or Wifi gizmo's etc. It arrived ahead of the predicted delivery date by one day, was well packaged and unpacked, set-up and working in about 20 minutes without any problems or confusing programming issues.

A great television and I would recommend both TV and supplier.
on 19 November 2013
I have just finished a few hours watching some HD channels - Sky Arts HD, Sky News, BT Sport and BBC 1HD and I am pretty pleased with the picture and sound quality from this Panasonic TV although it is clearly not quite in the same league as £1,500 Sony models so manage your expectations, but in HD and on the right Dynamic setting, the picture is excellent and everyone compliments it.

This is a slim TV and not too heavy, assembly is simply fixing the TV with a few screws to the base, although disappointing unlike Samsung and some other LED/LCD TV's this model doesn't swivel to meet your viewing angle.

Physically the TV is very pleasing on the eye with a solid shiny black square base and black surrounding edge. Quality looks good despite the value price.

Anyway, set up was very easy - plugged the HDMI in from the Sky box and the surround sound via the optical cable, Blu Ray DVD via the other HDMI, after switching on the TV went to auto set up and within minutes the channels appeared.

This size TV takes a little getting used to because the HD channels looked very good and were pretty sharp images, the adverts in between are a bit mire grainy than smaller screens and I did notice some words and logos looked slightly pixelated.

I went into the easy settings set up and made various adjustments to sound (which is very good by the way), brightness, contrast, colour etc and managed to tweak the picture to suit my liking. Now, most HD channels are excellent quality with lovely colour and fine detail, while most of the non HD channels look good but some are OK. I must admit that non HD channels are a little more grainy than I expected, but I watch mostly HD anyway.

Sport

I watch a lot of sport particularly football and I was concerned of some comments by people saying there was ghosting while watching sport as this TV refresh rate is only 50Hz - Well across the channels I have watched football I saw nothing noticeable which would spoil the viewing experience. Maybe it's me, but watching the sport was as pleasurable as always and I certainly believe other reviewers may have exaggerated the ghosting issue. Yes when the ball spins in football if you study it closely there is a small amount which absolutely does not spoil the viewing. In HD sport channels the picture is fantastic particularly Sky Sports - Tennis, Snooker and Cricket looked lush with colour, depth and clarity.

Playing a Blu Ray DVD the quality was very good and it's quick and easy to choose Cinema Mode and a letterbox screen to get a full cinema like experience when watching in the dark.

So, all in all this feels like a £800 TV and while I have marked it down a little because of overall picture quality, if you want a straight forward LED TV with no Smarty Pants extras like Netflix and apps etc, then for the price this will take some beating.

Recommended.
22 comments| 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 July 2013
This was offered by Amazon as an alternative to a 50" LG Plasma I was unhappy with.

Pros:
1) picture quality is equal to that of a new plasma. The default factory setting do not do this justice.
if you buy it, immediately turn 'Responsive Blacks Off' all this does is dim the brightness of the LEDs on the relevant areas of the screen, but there is rough 0.25 seconds responce to this. So for me it detracts, distracts and is pointless!!! it is also NOT needed as if you change picture mode to 'Cinema' view it's identical to how the LG plasma displayed!
2) Its about 15Kg in total weight... dead easy to fix on a wall
3) the power consumption is over half of that of the LG Plasma, it is rated at A+ where as the Plasma is rated at B.. half the annual running costs
4) does not interfere with any wifi/radio signals in the house
5) Not a glass screen, which means NO reflections / daylight glare !! whoohoo! can watch with the blinds open.

Negs
1) build quality is not as nice as the Plasma it was swapped for. But then for such a lightweight device, does it really need to have a metal back? no.. Im just being pointlessly picky...
2) the design of the frame and stand is not as 'styled'.. but then I don't spend the evening admiring the bezel
3) No glass screen, while I said this was a pro... my 5 yr old daughter went to point at something.. her finger came mm from the scream and could of left a finger print... those with sticky-fingered kids will know this pain..

hope this helps!
1515 comments| 120 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 September 2013
Good controls, good clear image and typical Panasonic quality. Built-in free view is great.
Lightweight, thin profile and easy to erect. Well packed.
on 14 December 2013
After reading some of the reviews for this tv I was unsure I was doing the right thing, if you are in the same state of mind I hope this review helps. in short would I buy this tv again... yes absolutely without thinking about it.

PRO's
The build quality alone suggests it should have been more expensive
Picture clarity is perfect especially when watching HD
For my own personal use the hdmi ports are just perfect
the bezel is quite narrow so again suits my need perfectly .
CON's

I would have given this item 5 stars but for one thing, the sound from the tv is awful, very tinny, but if you have a sound bar or surround sound this isn't a big problem.

would I recommend this Panasonic TX-L50B6B 50 inch widescreen full HD1080p led TV to a friend..... already have and they love it too.
on 25 November 2013
As another reviewer has stated many of the reviews on Amazon are not specifically for this TV. Overall its a good TV. Large reasonable brightness from the LEDs and reasonable picture. It a good price for a large TV. There is one big flaw. It so refelctive, Virtually a mirror. Even with room lights low at night and the backlight turned right up you can still see your face in minute detail reflected back at you during dark scenes. Saying I did try a more expensive (double the price) samsung TV and it had the same problem. I purchases an anti glare screen protector for the Panasonic TX-L50B6B which has improved the viewing experience no end but am surprised the manufacturers haven't done more to deal with this.
44 comments| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 December 2013
I purchased, or should I say stole this TV at £319.99 from another supplier (sorry Amazon but I just wanted to collect it myself) 3 days ago. From the dozens of reviews that I had read I was expecting, sound that was quiet and tinny, a colourless picture or a poor viewing angle. Well, our TV has none of these problems. If you are a TV purist don't buy a cheap TV and expect a cinema experience in your living room. My wife and I find the sound great, it is better than our old 32" Panasonic that we have had for nearly eight years and is now gracing our daughters bedroom. We do have it connected to our Humax PVR so I'm not sure if that can make a difference.

I put off buying a sound bar and I'm glad I did and unless you have a room like a warehouse, I would think twice about the additional cost. I can't comment about the speed of the picture in watching sport as this is a sport free zone but it has to be better than most TV's that are even a couple of years old in terms of technology. I asked about the viewing angle because of the static stand and I was told that this is because of the way that TV's are produced with an almost 170 degree viewing angle. Personally, I don't intend to sit watching the TV at right angles so yet again, I don't find that this is a problem in our living room.

I know that this is discontinued line, so if you are thinking about buying one, my advice is do it and don't be disappointed. I chose Panasonic because of the reliability of our old TV and when I looked at all the competition in price and brand name, Panasonic were a winner hands down.

I'll try and give this an update in 6 months time and see if it has stood the test of time and all the Xmas telly yet to come!!
on 2 October 2013
I couldn't believe this TV it has everything I wanted and more. The graphics are incredible and the screen size is brilliant. Only one scart port but not a problem just purchased a couple of HDMI cables and I was away.

Very please - would definitely recommend
on 30 August 2013
I needed a new main TV that had to fit into an alcove in my new house and I didn't want to pay for anything with "smart" features,(like netflix, youtube and LAN connectivity) because all that will be taken care of by other connected devices (i.e. my panasonic pvr/bluray player). This TV one was about the only one available at the 39" size that I wanted and so I bought it blind, based entirely on good reviews.

Turns out the positive reviews were accurate and I have been very pleased with my purchase and recommended it to a few others now. The picture quality (after turning off the nasty "enhancements") has a nice subtle and naturalistic look to it and the sound quality is pretty acceptable and quite a lot better than several built-in TV audio systems that I had experienced (I thought I would have to buy an external speaker set immediately, but I'm quite ok to wait and use the built-in sound for now).