on 21 April 2014
There's little to dislike, if anything. I only wish I had bought a bigger version so write speed could approach read speeds on this little speed demon. In terms of price, this a no-brainer, if you want that new computer feeling in your machine. I went from a 24 second boot to a 3 and a half second boot - Arch LInux.

Startup for programs I use daily is not even comparable. One usually HDD intensive program that could take up to 20-30 seconds to start, GIMP, now starts almost instantly. If there's one upgrade I will always recommend from this day on, it's changing from your crusty old HDD to an SDD. It doesn't get any better than this.

As I mentioned, try getting a bigger one, as write speeds get faster the larger they are. A 480GB will get around the same write and read speeds, at 500 MB/s. Absolutely brilliant.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I bought this along with a load of other bits to upgrade my PC. Having searched extensively online I eventually settled on this SDD because of reliability, I know it is not the fastest out there!! And Amazon, because of the low prices and service. and What can I say, every expectation has been fulfilled. The computer boots in about 25 seconds and most of the applications start up instantly, whoever has said this is the biggest improvement you can make to a PC's performance is spot on.. Regarding Amazon's service, FANTASTIC, I ordered on Sunday and the bits arrived on Tuesday, so effectively next day. By Thursday though the SSD had been reduced in price by about £9. I contacted Amazon and within 5 minutes of online chat they had refunded the difference!!! Amazon is certainly my first choice when shopping online now. Very happy.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 1 March 2014
These solid state hard drives tend to be much faster than the cheap HDD installed in laptops. But there is quite a common problem with changing HDD with windows:

It may cause windows update to stop working.

It caused this problem on my vista machine, but on searching the web I found lots of people that have had this problem.

It took me quite some time to find the solution, and I know quite a lot about computers; being in part a computer programmer.

The solution is you need to install the appropriate driver : iaAHCI.inf

***This is nothing to do with the crucial drive here (which I have and rate highly). Its a general problem when changing hard drives.

Hope this helps someone.
on 29 June 2014
Just fitted this to my mid-2010 27" iMac to replace a dying Seagate drive. What a difference it's made - almost like having a new Mac. I held off installing an SSD because I thought they would be too expensive. The Crucial M500 is very reasonably priced (I went for the 480GB model rather than the 1TB, but it's enough for me). My Mac now runs silently and far cooler. Applications launch almost instantly (even the sluggardly Photoshop). No more high-pitched whine and clickety-clack drive noise. A highly recommened upgrade for any PC or Mac. I'm absolutely delighted with it. Installing it in an 27" iMac is not for the faint hearted but the pain is definitely worth the gain.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I am pretty much still a newbie when comes to SSDs. After some research, I decided on this occasion to use Crucial CT480M500SSD1 2.5-inch 480GB M500 SATA 6Gbs Internal Solid State Drive, as there are some ‘glowing’ reviews about it, and because price has become a real factor in my choice. It is strange that in Oct/Nov 2013 the prices for a decent 480 SSD were very competitive. However, January 2015 prices seem to be higher. The Crucial CT480M500SSD1 2.5-inch SSD is a relatively easy to format, as I was going to use it in an Inateck® USB 3.0 Hard Drive Disk HDD Enclosure. This is my second purchase of the Inateck – they are just very good for what they are. In my first enclosure, I used an Intel SSD that was a particularly good buy at the time. My reasons remain the same as the previous occasion, as I want a second storage device that is fast, in transfer speeds and lightweight to carry.

Please note, the publicised speeds of this SSD are meant for a capable SATA III device.
If, however, you are running this in a laptop or desktop computer, which only has SATA II abilities, the speediness of this SSD is going to be slower - but should still perform pretty well.

For technical details and installation details, the advice I found on YouTube was very helpful. For Specifications and performance information, the Newegg review is very good too.
on 6 January 2014
Saw this on a Black Friday deals so decided to take the plunge and wasn't disappointed!

Reinstalled windows and programs on this drive and it kicks @ss...although it is my first SSD so bear that in mind!

Photoshop CC and Lightroom 5 open in a couple of seconds and shutdown/restart times are miles better than they were on a normal spindle drive. BTW my specs are: i5-2500k, 16gb RAM, GTX660SC.

The only thing I haven't installed on the SSD are games as I delete them when completed so I felt they were better on a spindle drive. However, saying that, for some reason they are still quick to load up...and quicker than when I didn't have a SSD installed. That might be all psychological though!

PROBLEM: the only thing I found was that when restarting the pc, especially after windows updates, it quite often produces a "disk read error" and you have to constantly cycle through a restart procedure a few times to clear it. At times, you may have to enter bios and exit to clear it. Googling it, it appears to be a common problem, but I haven't found a solution. I was tempted to return it just in case it is a faulty drive, but the fact that I only restart when I'm forced to (pc stays on 24/7 otherwise), it is a relatively 'minor' inconvenience for me.
on 9 January 2014
Upgraded from a smaller samsung unit to this when it was on offer in Amazon pre Christmas. Used 3rd party software to clone old disk to this one. Was up and running in no time with additional SSD space. I use it for Windows 7 boot drive and keep it clear of everything else with a second larger traditional HDD. So it is used every day and not once have I had issues with it or think it is slowing down the PC. In my view, as long as the SSD is a recognisable brand with good warranty, then I would buy the SSD that offers the largest capacity to your budget at the time.
on 31 January 2014
I've bought a bunch of these to switch out many of my machines because it get tedious to wait for hard drives when booting up. I've only used Crucial SSDs (I have an M4 before) so I cannot comment performance-wise compared to other brands. But if you're coming from a HDD it's night and day and that's all that really matters.
I have managed to convince work to update some of the older boxes to SSDs to give them a new lease of life. Everyone who gets one is impressed with the improvement their "slow" machine exhibits. So what are you waiting for?
on 23 April 2014
I installed this SSD into my Lenovo T400 laptop and it has transformed the windows experience. Loving it. Just make sure to follow some of the many online guides available on best practices for SSD and you should have no issues. Few simple things to follow are having the correct settings in the BIOS and disabled windows search indexing as SSD is fast enough to search and indexing will reduce the lifespan of the disk. Another thing, never defrag SSD as it will ruin it. Hope this helps.
on 22 March 2014
Let me introduce myself. I am a huge computer nerd. I have been dismantling computers from the age of 16, back when I got my first AMD K6 PC. After a week my Windows 98SE packed in, and because I had no money to pay a professional to fix it, I did the unthinkable and started tinkering with it myself. To my and everyone else's surprise, I fixed it, reinstalled the entire thing myself and a few years after at only 19 I was working as a professional IT technician, fixing other people's computers. Anyhow, I'm not going to bore you with the details of the last 9 years of my life, but I did want to make sure that you understand how this will not just be a user review, but a professional one as well.

About a year ago, I decided I wanted a powerful machine. Given the fact that AMD A10 processor laptops were either always out of stock, ridiculously expensive or installed into HP Pavilion laptops (do not ever buy an HP Pavilion!), I was compelled to become creative, ending up building my own desktop PC. A lot cheaper and a lot more powerful I might add. There was one thing "wrong" with it though. I installed a regular hard drive due to SSDs being still quite expensive. While otherwise my PC was a step away from being a ballistic rocket, the regular Western Digital 7200 rpm hard drive tended to slow things down more often than I could accept from such a powerful machine. However, about a week or so ago, I saw the prices drop sharply and I managed to get my hands on a Crucial M500 240GB SSD. Happy days!

General info: HDD vs SSD (why buy an SSD)

Before getting into the details of this specific SSD, I feel the need to provide a few basic details, namely differences between a regular hard drive (HDD) and a solid state drive (SSD). HDDs for desktops, are usually bigger than those for laptops, they mechanical moving parts inside and write/read data on/from disks, while using around 6-7 W/h. The speed at which these read and write data are generally low, so low in fact that they can slow down an otherwise extreme performance computer. SSDs on the other hand have none of these traits and defects. An SSD is practically a very fast internal thumb drive, just a bit bigger, but not bigger than a regular laptop drive, which means these are compatible with pretty much any computer out there. Having no mechanical parts inside, also results in less power consumption, namely 2-3 W/h. There is also zero noise, and much lower heat emission. My SSD is at this moment running at 23 C degrees. My old HDD on the other hand after the same amount of hours and demands, would run at about 50 C degrees. That's a lot of difference, if you ask me. SSDs are also shock resistant, and feed data a lot faster. Having no moving parts also means you can position it in any way you wish inside a desktop PC's case. To facilitate that, SSDs come with mounting holes on the two sides and the top (where the fancy label is applied too).

Now the Crucial M500 240GB (picture for some reason shows the insides of the SSD)

It comes in a nice thin square box. What you will find in the box is nothing more than the SSD wrapped and sealed into an anti-static bag, plus a free spacer if you wish to install it into a laptop (traditional laptop HDDs are a bit thicker so something needs to fill that gap). The drive itself is very light, you can hardly feel its weight. The build quality is great, all metal of course with a metallic gray finish. On the top side of the SSD you will find the fancy label with the big Crucial logo poking your eyes out, while on the bottom you'll see the less fancy one stating the rarely needed technical specs and other info. Mine is 240 GB one, which given the fact that I am not a gamer, gives me more than enough space for the operating system (Windows), the virtual operating system (Ubuntu Linux) and an entire separate partition for simple storage purposes. It does not come partitioned, and actual formatted space is less than 240 GB, it's around 224 GB. This is a SATA3 SSD which means that data transfer is extremely fast, but it's also backwards compatible with SATA2 and SATA1. Bare in mind though, that adding this SSD to a SATA2 or SATA1 motherboard will slow the drive down. It will still be faster than a regular HDD, but it will not work at its full potential.

Just how fast is this thing? Well, let me illustrate. My PC booted up and launched all needed programs:

- with regular HDD: 40s to boot + 10s to load desktop + 120s to load everything else on machine startup = 150s
- with SSD: 30s to boot + 2s to load desktop + 2s to load everything else on machine startup = 34s.

I believe this illustrated very well the speed differences between the two. Programs like Photoshop used to take around 10s to start, now they take around 3s. I would say all in all, my PC is now 3 to 4 times faster than it used to be. That's a whole lot of speed and difference for a mere £85 (on Amazon). Copying from one partition to another is up to 10 times faster. On top of that, there's an added bonus. With this SSD (and any other SSD for that matter) you can stop worrying about "defraging" your hard drive, in fact you should never do it. The Crucial M500 also supports hardware data encryption, which few people use, but there, you get it anyway. It comes with a 3 year limited warranty. Will it last that long? Yes, it will. Even if you write to it 40GB/day (highly unlikely), it should be as good as new for 5 years.

For those interested in more technical details:

Capacity (Unformatted): 240GB
Interface: SATA 6Gb/s (SATA 3GB/s compatible)
Sustained Sequential Read up to (128k transfer): 500MB/s
Sustained Sequential Write up to (128k transfer): 250MB/s
Random Read up to (4k transfer): 72,000 IOPS
Random Write up to (4k transfer): 60,000 IOPS
Form Factor: 2.5-inch, m-SATA, and M.2
NAND: 20nm Micron MLC NND
Life Expectancy: 1.2 million hours mean time to failure (MTTF)
Endurance: 72TB total bytes written (TBW), equal to 40GB per day for 5 years
Operating Temperature: 0°C to 70°C
Compliance: RoHS, CE, FCC, UL, BSMI, C-TICK, KCC RRL, W.E.E.E., TUV VCCI, IC
Firmware: Field upgradable firmware
Product Health Monitoring: Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology (SMART) commands

All in all, it's a great little SSD. Worth every penny. My PC now is not just a ballistic rocket, it's a spaceship!