5.0 out of 5 stars Completely revived my 3 year old VAIO

EDIT:
Published 11 months ago by Dave

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely revived my 3 year old VAIO, 19 Aug 2013
S. Schofield (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crucial CT240M500SSD1 240GB M500 SATA 6Gb/s 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive (Personal Computers)
Having worked my VAIO SR Series into the ground over the 3 years I've owned it, I decided to replace the HDD with an SSD to breathe some new life into it. At first I was a little sceptical about how much of a difference this would make, but I can honestly say that the M500 SSD has made a world of difference to my laptop. The startup time has been cut from about 90 seconds to only 20, programs start almost instantly, and the computer runs Adobe CS5.5 Master collection without even a hint of difficulty, something I could only have dreamed of before upgrading.

In terms of installation it was extremely easy, I purchased an OCZ upgrade kit with the M500 which gave me the necessary software, cable and enclosure in order to do a clone of my HDD. None of these items were included in the box with the M500, so you'll need to get them from elsewhere as I did. To clone, there's just a few easy steps:
1. Put the SSD into the enclosure and connect it to your computer using a USB cable.
2. Run the cloning software and select the source and destination drives
3. Sit back and grab a coffee while it clones the whole contents of your HDD, this takes a little while!
4. Shut down your computer and remove all power sources including the battery, remove the back panel and swap your HDD and SSD over (you'll probably need to find some instructions from your manufacturer on how to do this correctly)
5. Start up your blisteringly fast computer!

You can then use your old HDD as an external drive, or if you have any spare bays, as a secondary drive in your computer.

In summary, the M500 is an SSD that oozes quality both in its construction, as well as in its performance. It pulled the Hard Drive rank on Windows experience index up from 5.4 to 7.7 and has made a huge difference to my computing experience. I simply can't recommend it highly enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars Improved PC performance, 4 Dec 2013
Purchased as part of the Amazon Black Friday sales for a very reasonable price.

If you have a desktop PC and are looking for speed improvements an SSD drive is one of your best investments. Prices of SSD drives have decreased significantly over the past 2 years and you can now get a decent size SSD for below £150. I already have an SSD drive as my master drive (for Windows and core programs) and purchased this as a secondary drive for music / photos.

If you are installing into a desktop, be aware you may need to purchase an SSD mount on which to install it (couple of quid from Amazon). You simply attach the SATA cable and the power cable and start up your PC. As this was a secondary drive, I had to go into Windows Disk Management to set up the partition and initialise the disk (otherwise it will show up in your device manager but not in Windows Explorer.

Once you have initialised the drive, it will appear in Windows Explorer under the drive letter you assigned, and you can then copy data across to it as required.

SSD drives are silent, efficient and fast – so would highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars New life to your laptop, 27 April 2014
Antoine Camilleri - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
Before tossing away your ageing laptop, you might want to consider upgrading to an SSD. This could work out as a much cheaper option considering that the decreasing prices of SSD drives. I do feel that SSD drives in general are still slightly overpriced when considering the fact that these are now mainstream and no longer belonging to a niche market. Yet to be fair, it could still work out much cheaper than buying a new laptop or desktop computer.

The Crucial M500 is definitely a proved and tested, fast and very reliable drive. It is not the fastest SSD, yet it makes up for that in the reliability department. After all what is the use of having a blazing fast SSD if your data could be compromised. The controller houses an numerous capacitors, so in case of a power failure, there is enough juice stored to write the otherwise lost data. Another crucial factor is that the drive is fail operational. This means that if a single nand fails, the drive will still remain functional. On many SSDs if a nand fails the whole drive fails. This technology is referred to as RAIN (Redundant Array of Independent NAND) or "cross-die redundancy". (It has to be noted that SSDs use nand flash to store data).

Pros:
+ Very fast and reliable drive
+ Super easy installation
+ Light on batteries (great for laptop use)

Cons: (Applies to all SSDs due to the large number of writes)
- In order to achieve longer drive longevity, indexing should be turned off

I have not disabled indexing on my drive. My system is on 24/7 and the drive has been installed well over a year ago. Drive performs flawlessly.

Considerations:
○ To use the drive to its full potential, AHCI Mode must be enabled in the bios, and motherboard should support SATA 3.
○ Not as fast as a Samsung EVO

SSD technology is the future, and these drives will improve and prices will continue to decrease.

If you need a very fast reliable drive, than the Crucial M500 is worth serious consideration.

Highly recommended

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast and strong..., 24 Jun 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I guess there are two main reasons to consider upgrading to an SSD, one is the performance since a solid state drive will usually outpace any standard hard disc drive (especially the slower drives usually installed in laptops) and the other reason is the resilience since with no moving parts they're less likely to suffer damage in a portable device you're carrying around with you. It's worth knowing therefore that there's a big performance difference, especially for write-speeds, between the new M500 Series SSD's depending on which size you go for - the smaller capacity drives write data much slower than the higher capacity drives. All the M500 series are rated at 500MB/s read-speed but the write-speed of the 120GB (which is the one I have) is rated at 130MB/s, the 240GB is rated at 250MB/s and both the 480GB and 960GB are rated at 400MB/s. This could make a big difference with tasks like video-editing which consistently generates large files, so consider saving up for the larger capacity options if write-speed is a critical feature for you.

The drive unit itself is well-made and lightweight and comes with a useful spacer frame for installation in enclosures built for a standard 9.5mm thick drive. The sizes quoted in Amazon's product description seem to be for the cardboard box it comes in and not the drive itself - it's 7mm thick without the spacer and not 1.9cm! The SSD does get warm during use but never worryingly so, certainly less than most HDD's I've had toasting my lap. If they do overheat the M500 drives will automatically reduce performance and cool off but when installed in place of an existing HDD they should be fine.

Crucial have included an onboard hardware encryption option but this only seems to be available if you set it up using Microsoft's BitLocker on a compatible system (Windows 8 preferably) and isn't as simple as it could be - I found an article on AnandTech (http://bit.ly/YdaE3s) about how to enable it. Note that hardware encryption isn't available at all on Mac's, at least not unless Apple add support for it in future versions of OSX. Another onboard feature is the Active Garbage Collection which tries to maintain the performance of your drive by actively removing data that's no longer needed. This feature is a fallback option in case the TRIM function is not available on your system, for example on Mac's which don't activate TRIM by default on non-Apple SSD's. For Active Garbage Collection to work your drive has to be idle, with no data access happening, while still connected to a power source - therefore note that you might have to prevent your drive automatically going to sleep to allow the garbage collection routines to run. There's more about Active Garbage Collection on the Crucial forums here: http://bit.ly/19ikzyX

I installed my 120GB M500 SSD into an external USB3 enclosure (with its own hardware encryption system) and I'm getting read/write speeds of around 120MB/s which isn't bad - it's actually almost twice the speed of the internal drive in my new iMac! The drive should be even faster (especially for read speeds) if installed internally and I'm tempted to try it out in my ageing laptop as it should bring a new lease of life to that. However installed in an external enclosure it gives me a speedy and very resilient portable drive I can throw in a bag without too much concern - and that's exactly what I needed. Excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars True performance, 10 Nov 2013
This was the single best purchase I've made for my PC in years. I plugged the device in, configured it, then cloned my entire operating system onto it using Macrium (which is free). PC is now blazingly fast loading up anything. For example games and even Photoshop taking just a second or two from what used to be ten seconds plus. Great job Crucial.

5.0 out of 5 stars HDD vs SDD - Night and Day, 21 April 2014
There's little to dislike, if anything. I only wish I had bought a bigger version so write speed could approach read speeds on this little speed demon. In terms of price, this a no-brainer, if you want that new computer feeling in your machine. I went from a 24 second boot to a 3 and a half second boot - Arch LInux.

Startup for programs I use daily is not even comparable. One usually HDD intensive program that could take up to 20-30 seconds to start, GIMP, now starts almost instantly. If there's one upgrade I will always recommend from this day on, it's changing from your crusty old HDD to an SDD. It doesn't get any better than this.

As I mentioned, try getting a bigger one, as write speeds get faster the larger they are. A 480GB will get around the same write and read speeds, at 500 MB/s. Absolutely brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product and yet again Excellent service from Amazon, 13 Feb 2014
I bought this along with a load of other bits to upgrade my PC. Having searched extensively online I eventually settled on this SDD because of reliability, I know it is not the fastest out there!! And Amazon, because of the low prices and service. and What can I say, every expectation has been fulfilled. The computer boots in about 25 seconds and most of the applications start up instantly, whoever has said this is the biggest improvement you can make to a PC's performance is spot on.. Regarding Amazon's service, FANTASTIC, I ordered on Sunday and the bits arrived on Tuesday, so effectively next day. By Thursday though the SSD had been reduced in price by about £9. I contacted Amazon and within 5 minutes of online chat they had refunded the difference!!! Amazon is certainly my first choice when shopping online now. Very happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price, reliable, 9 Jan 2014
Upgraded from a smaller samsung unit to this when it was on offer in Amazon pre Christmas. Used 3rd party software to clone old disk to this one. Was up and running in no time with additional SSD space. I use it for Windows 7 boot drive and keep it clear of everything else with a second larger traditional HDD. So it is used every day and not once have I had issues with it or think it is slowing down the PC. In my view, as long as the SSD is a recognisable brand with good warranty, then I would buy the SSD that offers the largest capacity to your budget at the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic improvement over spinning rust., 31 Jan 2014
I've bought a bunch of these to switch out many of my machines because it get tedious to wait for hard drives when booting up. I've only used Crucial SSDs (I have an M4 before) so I cannot comment performance-wise compared to other brands. But if you're coming from a HDD it's night and day and that's all that really matters.
I have managed to convince work to update some of the older boxes to SSDs to give them a new lease of life. Everyone who gets one is impressed with the improvement their "slow" machine exhibits. So what are you waiting for?

1.0 out of 5 stars Was the best upgrade ever - now unusable, 3 Jan 2014
Dave (Ipswich, UK) - See all my reviews
EDIT:
Beware: after a few months use this drive has become unusable with freezing which even a complete reformat could not fix. I've seen others comment on this so this is a common problem and on Mac it is very difficult to upgrade the firmware to see it that would make a difference. Very disappointed after it started out so well and an expensive product to go wrong.

I was looking for ways of speeding up my MacBook Pro 13 2012 model. I had already upgraded the RAM to 8GB and decided to treat myself and get an SSD. Prices are falling but the £350 for a 960GB drive appears quite steep.

However, this will make your laptop feel like a brand new machine and it is definitely cheaper than buying a new Mac.

The computer now boots in about 15 seconds which is a huge improvement. This is largely irrelevant as I rarely turn off my Mac anymore anyway. Wake from sleep is slightly faster. Opening apps is definitely faster.

I have kept my old drive and put it in the place of the optical drive which I have partitioned. One partition for Time Machine backups and other I plan to put Windows or Linux.