Top positive review
75 people found this helpful
Completely revived my 3 year old VAIO
on 19 August 2013
Having worked my VAIO SR Series into the ground over the 3 years I've owned it, I decided to replace the HDD with an SSD to breathe some new life into it. At first I was a little sceptical about how much of a difference this would make, but I can honestly say that the M500 SSD has made a world of difference to my laptop. The startup time has been cut from about 90 seconds to only 20, programs start almost instantly, and the computer runs Adobe CS5.5 Master collection without even a hint of difficulty, something I could only have dreamed of before upgrading.
In terms of installation it was extremely easy, I purchased an OCZ upgrade kit with the M500 which gave me the necessary software, cable and enclosure in order to do a clone of my HDD. None of these items were included in the box with the M500, so you'll need to get them from elsewhere as I did. To clone, there's just a few easy steps:
1. Put the SSD into the enclosure and connect it to your computer using a USB cable.
2. Run the cloning software and select the source and destination drives
3. Sit back and grab a coffee while it clones the whole contents of your HDD, this takes a little while!
4. Shut down your computer and remove all power sources including the battery, remove the back panel and swap your HDD and SSD over (you'll probably need to find some instructions from your manufacturer on how to do this correctly)
5. Start up your blisteringly fast computer!
You can then use your old HDD as an external drive, or if you have any spare bays, as a secondary drive in your computer.
In summary, the M500 is an SSD that oozes quality both in its construction, as well as in its performance. It pulled the Hard Drive rank on Windows experience index up from 5.4 to 7.7 and has made a huge difference to my computing experience. I simply can't recommend it highly enough!