3,086 Reviews
 (1,760)

5.0 out of 5 stars A "can't put down" read
Published 13 months ago by Julia Flyte

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars
After reading all the glowing reviews on Amazon, I eagerly ordered The Husband's Secret. It is only when I read the biography that I realised I had read another of the author's books, "What Alice Forgot", which I remembered kind of liking but finding a bit slow in places.

Published 11 months ago by Joey

5.0 out of 5 stars A "can't put down" read, 31 July 2013
Julia Flyte - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Hardcover)
Cecilia Fitzpatrick thinks she knows her husband inside out, so she's surprised to accidentally discover in the attic a dusty sealed envelope with "For my wife - to be opened only in the event of my death" written on it in his handwriting. When she casually mentions it to him on the phone, his reaction makes it clear that the last thing he wants is for her to open that envelope - but why?

Leaving us with this intriguing puzzle, the story then jumps to another woman, Tess, whose husband has fallen in love with someone else. Shocked and distraught, Tess makes immediate plans to go and stay with her mother in Sydney, taking her young son with her. Then we move onto a third woman, Rachel, whose much loved daughter died many years previously and whose life now centres on her grandson. Shortly, the three women's lives will intersect and the secret that Cecilia's husband has been guarding for so long will impact on them all.

Despite strong word of mouth, I wasn't expecting a lot from this book, having once tried to read another by this Australian author and giving up on it. But I absolutely devoured The Husband's Secret. From the first chapter I was gripped and I read it in two settings. I worried about the characters - I even woke up in the middle of the night wondering how the author could possibly resolve the events that she'd set in motion. This isn't epic literature, but it's incredibly readable and totally gripping - the kind of book you want for a long plane flight.

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars, 10 Sep 2013
Joey (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

I am really quite undecided how I feel about this book. There are some parts I like, but I can't say I'm as impressed as other reviewers.

The basic premise is that three women's lives will intersect, however, I feel each character could have probably coped in a stand alone novel of their own, each has so much going on that I don't feel they are done justice in this novel. I got confused over who was who at the beginning of the book, definitely with Cecilia running off the names of her friends (who have no real part in the story), her 3 daughters, husband, schoolteachesr etc. It took a long time for Cecilia to decide to read her husband's letter and I think the fallout got a bit repetitive in places.

Rachel is the now elderly mother of a murdered teen plodding through life looking for answers she thinks she will never get. I think her loneliness was captured by the author quite well, but again, feel like the surface of this woman and her problems was just scratched. I think there was far more potential to explore her story.

And then we have Tess, who has been betrayed by those closest to her and needs time to figure things out. Again, I thought Tess's story had so much scope but combined with the other two females, there didn't seem room to go into it.

I found the book to be quite slow in places and was wishing pages away where nothing seems to happen just to get to the meaty bits. I think for me, the underlying story is a great read, however, I found Cecilia's scenes really repetitive, and Tess's quite slow. Rachel was the only one I had any real empathy for but then found her "resolution" at the end a little off key.

It is worth a read but didn't quite hit the mark for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!!, 24 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Kindle Edition)
when I started the book I didn't think I would like it as I thought it was a romance. I am so glad I stuck with it. This is one of the best books I have read.
Beautifully written, I honestly feel I know the characters.
Bittersweet, tragic, heart breaking, funny.
I will be reading everything this author has written. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE TROUBLE WITH SECRETS..........., 11 July 2013
Mrs. C. Swarfield - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This has to be the best book I have read in years, and I have read an awful lot
of books.

Cecilia Fitzpatrick is superwoman or super mum, wife of John Paul, mum to three
gorgeous daughters, popular demonstrator extrordinaire of Tupperware, brilliant
cook, wonderful homemaker and beloved wife of John Paul she has the dream life
and is living that dream until.....she finds a letter hidden in the attic when
she is looking for something to help her daughter who is obsessing about the
Berlin Wall - its a letter written by her husband to her and to be opened in the
event of his death, if only Cecilia hadn't opened that letter.

The contents of the letter are not disclosed until a third of the way through
the book and are so shocking and explosive I could not take it in at first and
had to go back an read it all again. To say Cecilia's life is turned upside
down is an understatement it is more rocked to the core.

Enter Tess O'Leary whose son is starting at St Angela's where Cecilia's girls
all attend and also Rachel Crowley who is the school secretary - they become
involved with each other in the most unlikely circumstances and fate deals
a blow that they will never ever be the same again.

This is a wonderful book and if you only read one book this year MAKE IT THIS ONE,
should have TEN STARS...

4.0 out of 5 stars I needed to know..., 7 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Kindle Edition)
…and now I do. Am I disappointed? Only slightly.

For awhile there it felt like wherever I looked I saw the cover of The Husband’s Secret by Liane Moriarty, taunting me. Every book-email and internet sidebar dangled the secret in front of me like a mouth-watering chocolate fudge cake (an M&S one no less). I had tried to be strong and to convince myself that I didn’t need or want to know the secret and that it was probably something unsavoury or uninteresting or un-something else but the temptation was far too much in the end. Apart from being a little insight into why I have had so many failed diet attempts I like to think that it demonstrates an admirable thirst for knowledge.

Cecilia Fitzpatrick has lived many years blissfully unaware that her mild-mannered husband, John-Paul, harbours a life-changing secret until the day she discovers a letter addressed to herself, to be opened in the event of his death. What she reads in her husband’s letter leaves her reeling, as everything she thought she knew about her well-ordered life and the person she loves comes crashing down around her.

I thought that the build up to the revelation of John Paul’s secret was brilliant. Moriarty certainly knows how to tease her readers into a desperate frenzy and although I managed to refrain from actually shouting out loud ‘just tell me’ I was extremely close on more than one occasion! As well as Cecilia’s ongoing battle with her conscience, one of Moriarty’s stalling tactics was to introduce a second female protagonist, in the form of happily married Tess, who despite having an unshakable faith in her relationship is about to find out about her own husband’s betrayal. Tess’s shyness and self diagnosis of social anxiety coupled with her confidence with men made for an interesting read but whilst I wouldn’t be so mean as to refer to Tess as ‘all filler no killer’ it was clear why she didn’t quite cut it as a solo leading lady.

After what felt like a long long time (but was actually a couple of hours of reading spread over a few days), of getting distracted by other characters, Liana finally decided to let me on the secret. I promise I am not just saying this because it is now after the event, and I want to look like a smart-arse, but I did guess the secret before it was properly revealed. Whether or not this was Moriarty’s intention I may never know but I think it probably was given the way she built it up. The only problem was that once I did know for sure I felt such a relief that I lost momentum a little bit and became slightly less interested in the rest of the novel. That being said though the new problem of how the protagonist was supposed to deal with her husband’s secret was still a thought-provoking concept.

I couldn’t help but compare Cecilia and John-Paul’s relationship to my own and wonder what it would feel like to have everything I thought I knew about Ben change in an instant. I found myself (hopefully not too creepily) staring at him and wondering what it would feel like to find out he had a terrible secret. Could I forgive and can you just stop loving someone because of their past?

Moriarty explores the themes of guilt, revenge, forgiveness and the boundaries of love with an engaging look at the other side of the story. Worth a read, if only to satiate your burning curiosity.

1.0 out of 5 stars Garbage, 5 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Paperback)
So I'm only around half way through the book but I had to write a review. I've just found out the 'secret' and can I just emphasise that I guessed what the secret was a few chapters in and think it was completely obvious what the so called 'secret' would be. I've only made it this far because I wanted to find out and thought it might make it more exciting but I was wrong.

The entire book has been extremely boring and I've no idea why it's claimed to be 'unputdownable'.

Save yourself the time and money and read 'Gone Girl' instead. Much much better.

1.0 out of 5 stars HORRIBLE!, 23 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Paperback)
Will never read anything from this author again, EVER! What a total waste of time and money. Very weak plot and very disappointing writing. It felt like the author was more concerned about the word count rather than building an interesting story line. After reading all the other reviews I thought this would be a good read but boy i was wrong! It took me more than 3 weeks to finish this book, total lack of motivation to read.

1.0 out of 5 stars If this is your only planned summer read, swap it for something else before you leave, there's still time!, 20 July 2014
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Paperback)
Unfortunately, even one star is too many! Luckily I read this very quickly, and only wasted one day of my life. I have decided to write this to spare some other poor unsuspecting readers the same fate.

It promised a great deal, but started as a yawnsville of domesticity that we read books to escape from.

My biggest criticism of the writing style that instead of creating fully formed characters, Moriarty would add a little aside to show that Cecelia wasn't 'perfect' after all. As a Tupperware selling queen who was not pretty enough for her handsome husband, as well as having only one out of three beautiful children - she clearly deserved to have the beautiful world she didn't truly deserve totally destroyed.

As a non Catholic, I found the ending at best unsatisfactory, and at worst an example of literary immorality. Basically, we are all bad, so we're even, let's all live happily ever after and not tell the police. It will be fine, if we are good from now on, nothing bad will ever happen to us ever again, so we are all safe...

The epilogue was a travesty - the whole point of writing a this genre of novel is that you recreate another world that as a reader we can escape to. The nonsense at the end where it was - well if Cecilia had known this... and if .. (What was her dullard husband called again?) had known that blah de blah's daughter had had this genetic disease...What was all that about? Had Moriarty reached her word count for the publisher and then couldn't be bothered to write a proper ending?

Great idea, terrible execution - editor is at fault here too. If this is your only planned summer read, swap it for something else before you leave, there's still time!

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst book I've read in a long time., 9 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Kindle Edition)
I can't believe some of the reviews posted here. This was a terrible, poorly written book with a long, drawn-out plot. The characters were unbelievably dull; I didn't care about them or what happened to them. The 'secret' is predictable and I found myself skimming through until I found out what it is and then stopped reading. Really, really rubbish.

1.0 out of 5 stars Shouldn't keep paying attention to the reviews!, 11 Aug 2014
CC7 (Berne, Switzerland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Paperback)
I bought this book based on the raving reviews on Amazon. It's happening more and more that I find myself in the minority who does not think this book is worth reading. It goes on and on about the letter, I think it aims to being funny in that build up, but it fails. Once you know what the secret is you think 'and I had to read so many chapters for THAT?' After that the interest in the characters just kind of disappears. Sorry, first book by this author and LAST.

The Husband's Secret