2,384 Reviews
 (1,369)

5.0 out of 5 stars A "can't put down" read
Published 8 months ago by Julia Flyte

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars
After reading all the glowing reviews on Amazon, I eagerly ordered The Husband's Secret. It is only when I read the biography that I realised I had read another of the author's books, "What Alice Forgot", which I remembered kind of liking but finding a bit slow in places.

Published 7 months ago by Joey

5.0 out of 5 stars A "can't put down" read, 31 July 2013
Julia Flyte - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Hardcover)
Cecilia Fitzpatrick thinks she knows her husband inside out, so she's surprised to accidentally discover in the attic a dusty sealed envelope with "For my wife - to be opened only in the event of my death" written on it in his handwriting. When she casually mentions it to him on the phone, his reaction makes it clear that the last thing he wants is for her to open that envelope - but why?

Leaving us with this intriguing puzzle, the story then jumps to another woman, Tess, whose husband has fallen in love with someone else. Shocked and distraught, Tess makes immediate plans to go and stay with her mother in Sydney, taking her young son with her. Then we move onto a third woman, Rachel, whose much loved daughter died many years previously and whose life now centres on her grandson. Shortly, the three women's lives will intersect and the secret that Cecilia's husband has been guarding for so long will impact on them all.

Despite strong word of mouth, I wasn't expecting a lot from this book, having once tried to read another by this Australian author and giving up on it. But I absolutely devoured The Husband's Secret. From the first chapter I was gripped and I read it in two settings. I worried about the characters - I even woke up in the middle of the night wondering how the author could possibly resolve the events that she'd set in motion. This isn't epic literature, but it's incredibly readable and totally gripping - the kind of book you want for a long plane flight.

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars, 10 Sep 2013
Joey (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

I am really quite undecided how I feel about this book. There are some parts I like, but I can't say I'm as impressed as other reviewers.

The basic premise is that three women's lives will intersect, however, I feel each character could have probably coped in a stand alone novel of their own, each has so much going on that I don't feel they are done justice in this novel. I got confused over who was who at the beginning of the book, definitely with Cecilia running off the names of her friends (who have no real part in the story), her 3 daughters, husband, schoolteachesr etc. It took a long time for Cecilia to decide to read her husband's letter and I think the fallout got a bit repetitive in places.

Rachel is the now elderly mother of a murdered teen plodding through life looking for answers she thinks she will never get. I think her loneliness was captured by the author quite well, but again, feel like the surface of this woman and her problems was just scratched. I think there was far more potential to explore her story.

And then we have Tess, who has been betrayed by those closest to her and needs time to figure things out. Again, I thought Tess's story had so much scope but combined with the other two females, there didn't seem room to go into it.

I found the book to be quite slow in places and was wishing pages away where nothing seems to happen just to get to the meaty bits. I think for me, the underlying story is a great read, however, I found Cecilia's scenes really repetitive, and Tess's quite slow. Rachel was the only one I had any real empathy for but then found her "resolution" at the end a little off key.

It is worth a read but didn't quite hit the mark for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it!, 28 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Kindle Edition)
This is the first book that I have read by Liane Moriarty and I love it!

I always check the back cover of a book to get an idea of what the story is about, and this one caught my eye so I just had to read it.

You learn only a few chapters in what the 'husband's secret' is, and then follow the effects that this has on a number of lives. The story is cleverly written, with each chapter moving from one family, to another, and then back again. We follow each of their lives until the story brings all these different lives together, connecting them. Then a final, unexpected twist concludes a fabulously written story. I will be looking out for more books by this writer!

5.0 out of 5 stars THE TROUBLE WITH SECRETS..........., 11 July 2013
Mrs. C. Swarfield - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This has to be the best book I have read in years, and I have read an awful lot
of books.

Cecilia Fitzpatrick is superwoman or super mum, wife of John Paul, mum to three
gorgeous daughters, popular demonstrator extrordinaire of Tupperware, brilliant
cook, wonderful homemaker and beloved wife of John Paul she has the dream life
and is living that dream until.....she finds a letter hidden in the attic when
she is looking for something to help her daughter who is obsessing about the
Berlin Wall - its a letter written by her husband to her and to be opened in the
event of his death, if only Cecilia hadn't opened that letter.

The contents of the letter are not disclosed until a third of the way through
the book and are so shocking and explosive I could not take it in at first and
had to go back an read it all again. To say Cecilia's life is turned upside
down is an understatement it is more rocked to the core.

Enter Tess O'Leary whose son is starting at St Angela's where Cecilia's girls
all attend and also Rachel Crowley who is the school secretary - they become
involved with each other in the most unlikely circumstances and fate deals
a blow that they will never ever be the same again.

This is a wonderful book and if you only read one book this year MAKE IT THIS ONE,
should have TEN STARS...

1.0 out of 5 stars Over hyped, 14 April 2014
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Kindle Edition)
I was so looking forward to reading this book after rave reviews and because it had been selected by the Richard and Judy book club. However, I was hugely disappointed with it's slow pace, characters who were utterly annoying and the secret, once revealed, I couldn't give a toss what happened in the end. I felt no empathy for any of the characters, sometimes I had to keep reminding myself who was who as everyone seemed to be cloned. Sadly, it has put me off reading any more by Liane Moriarty.

4.0 out of 5 stars Page turner, 29 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Kindle Edition)
A real page turner, very gripping and easy to read. It was good to read a book that went along at a decent pace. Slightly disappointing ending but nonetheless thoroughly enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story., 28 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this story, there were a few twists that caught me by surprise! Would defiantly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read, 27 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book as it was reasonably priced and seemed to have a good story line. What a read! It was fabulous and I could barely put it down. I love how the story of each character is intertwined. I'll definitely buy more books by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars good, 27 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Kindle Edition)
Think this book is very good i really liked the twist at the end and i liked the way she wrote the epilouge

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute rubbish - avoid, 22 Mar 2014
Jl Adcock "John Adcock" (Ashtead UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Paperback)
You've got to wonder how many books writer poet and critic Sophie Hannah has read for her to call this a "staggeringly brilliant novel" on the cover of the Penguin edition. Sure it will sell copies, and dupe a lot of people (me included), but there is a huge gulf between some of the praise for this novel and the reality of the content.

The Husband's Secret is revealed about 40% of the way through the book, by which time it is already clear that this is no great work in terms of writing, plotting or characterisation. Instead, consider it a slice of Australian chic lit with a "what if" sub-plot thrown in, a tenuous link back to the fall of the Berlin Wall, and a weak crime/thriller strand, all building to a ludicrous finale that simply defies belief in terms of cliched writing.

Given the appalling quality of the writing, and a bunch of characters you would cross the road to avoid meeting in real life, The Husband's Secret has almost nothing going for it. The Kindle version is padded with an extract from another Moriarty book - but as The Husband's Secret was so bad I decided to give that miss thanks, and one has to wonder what's gone wrong in the world of Penguin publishing that this kind of drivel is now appearing from a publisher that once stood for quality.

The marketing has clearly worked, but if, like me, you don't like being duped by the hype surrounding books that really belong in the remainder bin - then give this one a wide berth. Rubbish.

ARRAY(0xa26a55d0)