5.0 out of 5 stars A "can't put down" read
Published 23 months ago by Julia Flyte

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring 1950's good housewife guide!
Published 4 months ago by J. MASON

5.0 out of 5 stars A "can't put down" read, 31 July 2013
Julia Flyte - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Hardcover)
Cecilia Fitzpatrick thinks she knows her husband inside out, so she's surprised to accidentally discover in the attic a dusty sealed envelope with "For my wife - to be opened only in the event of my death" written on it in his handwriting. When she casually mentions it to him on the phone, his reaction makes it clear that the last thing he wants is for her to open that envelope - but why?

Leaving us with this intriguing puzzle, the story then jumps to another woman, Tess, whose husband has fallen in love with someone else. Shocked and distraught, Tess makes immediate plans to go and stay with her mother in Sydney, taking her young son with her. Then we move onto a third woman, Rachel, whose much loved daughter died many years previously and whose life now centres on her grandson. Shortly, the three women's lives will intersect and the secret that Cecilia's husband has been guarding for so long will impact on them all.

Despite strong word of mouth, I wasn't expecting a lot from this book, having once tried to read another by this Australian author and giving up on it. But I absolutely devoured The Husband's Secret. From the first chapter I was gripped and I read it in two settings. I worried about the characters - I even woke up in the middle of the night wondering how the author could possibly resolve the events that she'd set in motion. This isn't epic literature, but it's incredibly readable and totally gripping - the kind of book you want for a long plane flight.

4.0 out of 5 stars I needed to know..., 7 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Kindle Edition)
…and now I do. Am I disappointed? Only slightly.

For awhile there it felt like wherever I looked I saw the cover of The Husband’s Secret by Liane Moriarty, taunting me. Every book-email and internet sidebar dangled the secret in front of me like a mouth-watering chocolate fudge cake (an M&S one no less). I had tried to be strong and to convince myself that I didn’t need or want to know the secret and that it was probably something unsavoury or uninteresting or un-something else but the temptation was far too much in the end. Apart from being a little insight into why I have had so many failed diet attempts I like to think that it demonstrates an admirable thirst for knowledge.

Cecilia Fitzpatrick has lived many years blissfully unaware that her mild-mannered husband, John-Paul, harbours a life-changing secret until the day she discovers a letter addressed to herself, to be opened in the event of his death. What she reads in her husband’s letter leaves her reeling, as everything she thought she knew about her well-ordered life and the person she loves comes crashing down around her.

I thought that the build up to the revelation of John Paul’s secret was brilliant. Moriarty certainly knows how to tease her readers into a desperate frenzy and although I managed to refrain from actually shouting out loud ‘just tell me’ I was extremely close on more than one occasion! As well as Cecilia’s ongoing battle with her conscience, one of Moriarty’s stalling tactics was to introduce a second female protagonist, in the form of happily married Tess, who despite having an unshakable faith in her relationship is about to find out about her own husband’s betrayal. Tess’s shyness and self diagnosis of social anxiety coupled with her confidence with men made for an interesting read but whilst I wouldn’t be so mean as to refer to Tess as ‘all filler no killer’ it was clear why she didn’t quite cut it as a solo leading lady.

After what felt like a long long time (but was actually a couple of hours of reading spread over a few days), of getting distracted by other characters, Liana finally decided to let me on the secret. I promise I am not just saying this because it is now after the event, and I want to look like a smart-arse, but I did guess the secret before it was properly revealed. Whether or not this was Moriarty’s intention I may never know but I think it probably was given the way she built it up. The only problem was that once I did know for sure I felt such a relief that I lost momentum a little bit and became slightly less interested in the rest of the novel. That being said though the new problem of how the protagonist was supposed to deal with her husband’s secret was still a thought-provoking concept.

I couldn’t help but compare Cecilia and John-Paul’s relationship to my own and wonder what it would feel like to have everything I thought I knew about Ben change in an instant. I found myself (hopefully not too creepily) staring at him and wondering what it would feel like to find out he had a terrible secret. Could I forgive and can you just stop loving someone because of their past?

Moriarty explores the themes of guilt, revenge, forgiveness and the boundaries of love with an engaging look at the other side of the story. Worth a read, if only to satiate your burning curiosity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Speechless, 21 Sept. 2014
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Kindle Edition)
As my title suggests, after finishing The Husband's Secret I am utterly speechless at how good a novel this has been ... and very disappointed that I have reached the end and I don't have anymore of this book left to read.

What an amazing read - seriously!!

It had me clinging on to my iPad every time I picked it up to read, finding it difficult to put down.

Normally, I am not a fan of a novel consisting of so many characters with alternating chapters - it is the 'trying to remember' where that character left off I don't really enjoy, but this novel somehow had me hooked. It is written in such a way that the 'trying to remember' moments did not exist - page after page flowed in such a way that I didn't feel like the reader, I felt like a character in the book standing back watching the plot unfold in front of me.

Liane Moriarty, I am utterly in love with your writing style - keep up the good work.

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring 1950's good housewife guide!, 24 Feb. 2015
J. MASON "jess1984" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Paperback)
Disappointing, perhaps I got too caught up in the hype and reviews. I got this book based on liking Gone Girl and suggestions that I'd therefore possibly like this book. Basically it's a book about a bunch of middle class women who learn that if your man is either a murderer or adulterer then you need to just understand that marriages are difficult sometimes and just remember how awful and lonely life would be without them. The rest of the book seemed to be an advert for Tupperware. I clearly just didn't get it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!!!, 25 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Kindle Edition)
Couldn't put this down. I read it in 24 hours. The story twists and turns in so many different directions.

It is the first book I have read by this author and just downloading another now - I can't wait.

Simply brilliant

4.0 out of 5 stars Keeps you guessing..., 3 Feb. 2015
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Kindle Edition)
Review: this is the third Liane Moriarty novel I have read and they all have a similar feel to them, however this sits ok with me because I really enjoy that particular feel. They seem to me to be completely different to anything else in this genere and that is why I enjoy them so much, this was definitely another 5 star read from this author for me and I can't wait to get started on her latest offering!

The characters in this book are, like the other novels, normal middle class middle aged women who all have something dark in their past or indeed their present. They're all fairly likeable characters and all characters that we can relate to people in our own lives. The husband's secret in this case is the link that ties the three main characters in this novel together and it is so cleverly written that you don't discover everything about the secret until literally the last moment-something which I really loved.

Like all Liane Moriarty's books, this was fast paced and full of energy, jumping between one character and another so you always have to utter the 'one more chapter' call so you can carry on with one particular characters storyline-but then you get sucked into another storyline and absolutely have to keep going with that one! I would've loved the chance to sit down an devour this in one long binge read because I think it would have been high adrenaline stuff but this book most definitely kept me going on my daily commute. I listened to this book on audiobook and so I found myself snatching every spare moment to keep reading it.

I like the fact that this book is set in Australia because it is something a little bit different form the usual London or USA settings and so it had a. Refreshing but a little bit exotic feel about it. Overall I really loved this book, I found it easy and quick to get through but satisfying in both content and ending. The character were easy to relate to and the mystery element of the novel kept you guessing right the way through. This book has a fantastic reflective epilogue which I loved and so was well rounded to the last moment-a fabulous read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!!, 24 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Kindle Edition)
when I started the book I didn't think I would like it as I thought it was a romance. I am so glad I stuck with it. This is one of the best books I have read.
Beautifully written, I honestly feel I know the characters.
Bittersweet, tragic, heart breaking, funny.
I will be reading everything this author has written. Highly recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Took a gamble....very disappointed, 16 April 2015
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Paperback)
So I found the concept intriguing, but was a little sceptical about what the book could do with it. Finally gave into the intrigue and the positive reviews and decided to give it a go. Got through the book pretty quickly, as I just wanted to get it over with so I could move on to something else.

I found it incredibly dull. The major plot and the big reveal itself was great. I didn't guess what the secret revealed, but after it was, I felt that I should have pieced it together sooner, and I think many readers probably will.

I think the dullness came mainly from the characters. The use of internal dialogue to 'character develop' is irritating for me as a reader, personally. It's just a way to explain traits and acttions without naturally exploring those elements and letting them show through the writing itself. I also feel that there are too many protagonists, all utilising this device, but none of the characters are defined enough that their inner voice is distinct, therefore it becomes rather trite. There was an entire major sub-plot, which really could have been removed completely, as it was a diversion and not really related to the main journey enough to have any substantial effect. This may have allowed fewer characters to be explored in more details and methods, allowing for a more pleasant read.

Too much jumping about between stories to try to build suspense. When one of those three stories is pretty irrelevant, you lose a large chunk of the book and this tactic loses its effect.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea, 2 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Kindle Edition)
Reviews are entirely subjective and I'm sure many people would enjoy this book more than I have. I usually read crime thrillers but it was the title and the fact this book was everywhere that made me buy it. I'm sorry to say I got three quarter way through and haven't had the heart to pick it up to finish it. There are lots of characters which I found it hard to keep track of, and some of the characters are going through such a miserable time I lost heart reading about them. Having said that the author writes with a lovely style and if you like this genre then you will most likely enjoy it.

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars, 10 Sept. 2013
Joey (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
After reading all the glowing reviews on Amazon, I eagerly ordered The Husband's Secret. It is only when I read the biography that I realised I had read another of the author's books, "What Alice Forgot", which I remembered kind of liking but finding a bit slow in places.

I am really quite undecided how I feel about this book. There are some parts I like, but I can't say I'm as impressed as other reviewers.

The basic premise is that three women's lives will intersect, however, I feel each character could have probably coped in a stand alone novel of their own, each has so much going on that I don't feel they are done justice in this novel. I got confused over who was who at the beginning of the book, definitely with Cecilia running off the names of her friends (who have no real part in the story), her 3 daughters, husband, schoolteachesr etc. It took a long time for Cecilia to decide to read her husband's letter and I think the fallout got a bit repetitive in places.

Rachel is the now elderly mother of a murdered teen plodding through life looking for answers she thinks she will never get. I think her loneliness was captured by the author quite well, but again, feel like the surface of this woman and her problems was just scratched. I think there was far more potential to explore her story.

And then we have Tess, who has been betrayed by those closest to her and needs time to figure things out. Again, I thought Tess's story had so much scope but combined with the other two females, there didn't seem room to go into it.

I found the book to be quite slow in places and was wishing pages away where nothing seems to happen just to get to the meaty bits. I think for me, the underlying story is a great read, however, I found Cecilia's scenes really repetitive, and Tess's quite slow. Rachel was the only one I had any real empathy for but then found her "resolution" at the end a little off key.

It is worth a read but didn't quite hit the mark for me.

The Husband's Secret