5.0 out of 5 stars Great start to a new series.
** spoiler alert ** I received a copy of this book free from the publishers with the intent to give an honest review.

This is a great start to a new series, fairies, vampires and witches, oh my.

Published 15 months ago by WickedLittleImp

3.0 out of 5 stars She doesn't realise how influential her magic really is...
Some YA books are borderline New adult and others, this one included, lean more towards the teen side. It is very lollipop and candlyfloss with a few nasty vampires to add to the fluffy faeness of it all.
Now that could be the intended market the author is trying to target and if so then I am sure that younger age group will really enjoy it.
For me it lacked...
Published 16 months ago by Cheryl M-M

5.0 out of 5 stars Great start to a new series., 4 May 2013
This review is from: Influential Magic (Crescent City Fae Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

This is a great start to a new series, fairies, vampires and witches, oh my.

Willow is a fairy who can make plants grow and enhances all the goodies that she bakes for her store. She's also an agent for the Void, a group that monitor and control the supernatural's in New Orleans. Besides being a fairy and being able to make goodies with a little bit extra in them, she can also sense vampires when they are around and has used this ability to help other agents stay safe.

She has just got back from looking after her mother when she is called into the head office, there she is given a new partner and sent on a mission to find out what is going on with the local vampires. Apparently there is an order out for her to be kidnapped. Finding out that her new partner is her old boyfriend, who broke up with her by text is bad enough news but finding out that he has been turned into a vampire is even worse. The fact that it was his choice doesn't make it any better for her.

Working with Davidson is hard and painful too if he touches her. For some reason, when a vampire touches her it causes great pain. Probably because she draws her power from life and vampires are dead. As she tries to find out who is trying to kidnap her, she must also wade through a ton of lies and misdirection. When she finds out that her best-friend Phoebe has already been working with Davidson she feels like she's being kept in the dark and starts to get angry, after all, it's her life on the line.

Dealing with a Master Vampire who doesn't quite tell the truth and a Director of the Void, who is trying to keep her locked up and experimented on, she is kept on the go and constantly looking over her shoulder. To make it worse, the Director is her aunt.

As if all that wasn't bad enough, she then gets told the real reason why her twin brother Beau was murdered four years ago.

With the help of her friend Phoebe and her pet dog who can turn into a wolf, she will find out more about herself and her family than she ever thought possible.

I'm really looking forward to the next in this series, it's well-written with great characters and storyline. It's a slightly different take on fairies and vampires and witches too.

3.0 out of 5 stars She doesn't realise how influential her magic really is..., 31 Mar 2013
Cheryl M-M (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
For me it lacked substance and a real connection to the characters. Flitting from one scene to the next without every having time to get to know any of them. Flighty and bubbly all rolled into one.
Having a Shih Tzu that shifts is a new one. It is a cute but odd option to have it shift into something fierce and dangerous. The main character is torn between two love interests and wanting to find out who killed her twin brother. Mix in two supernatural species trying to gain the upper hand in a scientific twist with the main character as the solution to all their troubles and you get this light-hearted read.
I received a free copy of this book via NetGalley.

5.0 out of 5 stars great start to a new urban fantasy series, 29 Mar 2013
Influential Magic (Crescent City Fae) Deanna Chase

I received this from the author in return for an honest review. I don't gush and give false praise - I don't believe that helps readers or authors so what you read is what I truly feel about a book.

Well, another book from the genre I love, paranormal romance with vampires and Fae. Willow has some special abilities and uses them in her part time work for the Void, as well as owning The Fated Cupcake. She's still reeling from the breakup of her year long relationship when she discovers her life is in danger, and the void have given her a new partner. Its David, her ex, but he's no longer human but a vampire - and her special abilities leave her vulnerable to their touch. Double whammy for her....and then there's the complications of her long time friend and childhood crush Talisen who's been searching for info on her twin brothers death four years ago and now turns up in New Orleans. Surrounded by two attractive man and with her life in danger willow doesn't know where to turn or who to trust. Its a riveting tale of mistrust, double dealing and danger and the action doesn't stop. Its hard to see how things will turn out - every time I thought I had an idea of what was going to happen Deanna threw in another twist to keep me confused. As always I was tempted to have a quick peek at the ending as I'm always so impatient to know what happens but I resisted and I'm glad I did. It came as a total surprise what was going on and just who the bad guys were.

I loved Willow - felt so sad for her after the David text breakup - what an ass I thought - but then as always things are not quite as they seem and he seemed to still have strong feelings for Willow. Then there's Talisen, fairy hottie, knows Willow but until now has always been a player for the girls and simply good friend to Willow. Add in her shape shifting Shih-Tzu/wolf Link and her witch best friend Phoebe and there's a cast worthy of a great story full of multiple and sometimes complex plots that entertain the reader to the very end. I loved this book - its hard to define what makes the difference between a four and a five star read, I think maybe its the complexity of the story and the world building and in this book Deanna has done it just right for me and although first in series rarely get five stars from me this one does. It'll definitely go on my keepers list for re reading and I'll look forward to the next in the sere is. This story is compete - thankfully Deanna hasn't gone the horrible cliffhanger route that I hate yet so many authors seem to love, so you can feel satisfied with a proper ending at the the finish of this novel.

I've not read any of Deanna's other works but will look to see if she has written more like this, as this series looks to become one of my favourites. Its well edited and written and doesn't leave plots that are unanswered but ties up all loose ends in a way the reader can't imagine (well, this reader anyway ) and that's always good to find.

Its prcied at 2.86 for the kindle version of 273 pages, a decent length that allows for the author to really flesh out the story and contrive some decent plots. Ist also available in paperback version for 6.99 on amazon.

Stars: As I said - full five, excellent start to new urban fantasy series.

5.0 out of 5 stars great story plot, 11 Mar 2013
S. Atkin - See all my reviews
Deanna Chase is a new author to me and well what can I say but Wow I totally enjoyed this book from the moment I read the first page till the last one I was captured in the world of vampires, wolves and fae.The story line is amazing you totally get caught up in it. So many twist and turns in this book but not ones you don't understand it all fits perfectly.

The characters are great to even the bad guys stand out to you as they are written well. I especially loved Talisen not only because he is hot but how he was with Willow it was really sweet and I was happy with the way the book ended.

I did feel for David at the beginning but as the book goes on he made his bed and has to deal with how things play out.

Willow finds out about her brother and how he died, and there are a few surprises for her along the way. I do feel sorry for Willow it seems everyone is hiding stuff from her but she is strong and I think she always tries to see the good in people. The Blurb pretty much tells you what you need and I don't want to give any spoilers but this is a well written page turner of a book and I loved it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 12 July 2014
Influential Magic was recommended by a friend. It was an enjoyable change from my usual choice of book.

5.0 out of 5 stars good book, 2 April 2014
I liked this a lot but will need to read more it was hard to put down and very interesting in its take on the magic and vampire combination.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Good Idea But …, 24 Jan 2014
Nicola Pine (UK) - See all my reviews
This book has the potential to be good, there are some features that makes it sound promising:
The alternative world where it's set
The transforming Shih Tzu
Interesting characters
I really enjoyed these concepts as I hadn't read an urban fantasy quite like it before (and I've read a lot!) and the love triangle kept me interested. However, as another reviewer hit th nail quite rightly on the head, the author didn't spend enough time developing her characters, everything just felt a little unfinished and there was a lack of finesse in her writing.

The main protaganist tries to come across self assured, having strong views on how her products are used and what is right and wrong, but unfortunately it comes across the opposite way. Appearing a little immature and flakey. Disappointedly, Willow gets lost amongst the other characters and I ended up being more interested in David and Talison. On a final note, the plot flits around too much so at times you may feel a little lost.

So if you want a quick, light read where you can overlook the flaws I would suggest this, but buy it in the Magic after dark bundle, as it's not worth paying 2+ for singularly.

4.0 out of 5 stars A new must read series!, 6 Jan 2014
This book was a sweet surprise!

Willow is a fairy - and she even got wings! Caught between the vampires, one of each is her ex-boyfriend, recently turned vampire to her horror, and the Void, her employer, she doesn't know who to trust and asks for Talisen's, her friend, help.

This is a story that gave me pleasurable hours of reading. Willow is a very special and sweet character, for whom is easy to feel sympathy. Also David, her ex-boyfriend and Talisen, her friend for whom she have some romantic feelings, are riveting characters.

Another new series that hits my "must read" list!

3.0 out of 5 stars Starts out slow, 17 Nov 2013
**ARC Provided by Netgalley and Bayou Moon Press, LLC for an honest review**

I found this book really slow reading for at least two thirds of the book before it picked up. Lots actually happened but it never grabbed me and took me for the ride.

The last third picked up, but i don't know if that was me just wanting to get to the end of the book.

Willow is a faerie with an affinity for living things. Her twin brother died a while ago about the same age as her father in the same place. Talisen was her brothers best friend and has flirted with her for years. He has become one of her best friends and has always been there for her.

Phoebe is her friend and roommate back in the city and is a witch who works with her at the Void. Phoebe keeps her alive.

Willow always forgets about her phone and her family has a history of dying early. Especially the first born males.

During this book Willow connects with an ex boyfriend that was human, but is now a vampire. Unfortunately all he told her about him is lies apart from the fact that he loved her. But he has been looking out for her since her brothers death by order of his father and sire. His sire has been looking out for her due to a family connection.

Willow is kidnapped by her aunt who is charge of the void but turned nasty. Willow has a small dog which turns into a wolf and helps protect her.

Secrets are learned about her family and others are revealed. The ending of the holds no cliff hangars making you want to wait for the next book in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Influential magic, 21 Jun 2013
Yet another great book from this author can't wait until November for part two lets hope there will be a three a four a five etc