4.0 out of 5 stars A film overdue a reappraisal, a good if not perfect Blu-ray
*Warning - may contain slight spoilers if you've never seen the Frankenstein films before. You've been warned.

Published 12 months ago by Lee R

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Format
Published on 23 Oct 2007 by Mr. Peter F. H. Jones

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A film overdue a reappraisal, a good if not perfect Blu-ray, 29 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Evil Of Frankenstein (Blu-ray + DVD) [1964] (Blu-ray)

The Evil of Frankenstein has got a bad reputation in some quarters. I've been indifferent to it myself on previous viewings, but wanted to give it a fair reappraisal when my Blu-ray arrived. I prepared for it this time by watching Revenge of Frankenstein first and keeping an open mind. Revenge had scripted itself into a bit of a rut. It was a good ending, but once Frankenstein reaches success, there's no more room for a sequel. In that way, I can understand why it was felt a new direction was needed to continue the franchise.

This time I found it quite a fun film. It lies in the same gray area as Sam Raimi's Evil Dead 2 from more than two decades later in the way it's half reboot, half sequel. Francis's direction takes it away from the gothic comfort zone and more into horror thriller territory. Quite funny too in places, which was a surprise for earlier Hammer horror. Cushing's Frankenstein is played as a much more sympathetic character than the ruthless, single-minded scientist of the first two. Zoltan is the real villain here. I didn't really like this monster on previous viewings, but giving it a chance this time around it's actually a really nice design. Rather that it just looking like an inexpressive clay mask and Karloff wannabe, I got a Golem vibe coming from it. The creature created for revenge (Zoltan's in this case) that eventually turns on it's creator. I don't know whether this nod to Jewish mythology is by accident or design. Either way, I felt it rather effective.

I am pleased with the transfer. It's a little soft in places and hasn't had any major restoration work carried out, so all the old film dirt is still there especially on optical effects shots. There's a thin layer of grain. If it has been DNRed (if), it was done by an operator who thankfully knew when to stop. Overall a pleasing upgrade over DVD with some finer detail better resolved. It's in the valid aspect ratio of 1.85:1. Sound is the original mono. Not unsurprisingly, it sounds authentically like any other Hammer film of it's era with the benefit of lossless PCM encoding on the Blu-ray. Be aware there are no subtitles on this release, which is unfortunate and will prevent hard of hearing fans from enjoying this new release.

Extras are few, but interesting. I found the making of to have a large chunk made up of a Jackanory-like retelling of the story set to (admittedly lovely) stills, with some behind the scenes narration and interviews to spice it up. It was a good watch and given so few people involved are still with us, so there's not really a whole lot more that can be done. Caron Gardner adds lots of value. Those who had smaller roles often have more interesting anecdotes because they're different to the ones we always hear. Another extra worthy of note is the stills gallery. I normally find photo galleries a bit uninspired and would prefer to see them in print, but this was made up of an impressive number of high quality stills dynamically presented.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Format, 23 Oct 2007
I have been looking forward to this release for a long time. I have the Region 1 version, but I can only watch this on my computer, so to have a version I can play on my TV would be great. What a disappointment, it's FULL FRAME and not in the correct widescreen format it should be in. These DVDs are for a specialist market, who expects certain standards; and the correct format is one of them. I hope they put this right for future releases, otherwise it's back to watching my Region 1's on the computer.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Evil Of Frankenstein (1964), 27 Feb 2014
I've Loved This Tale On How Baron Frankenstein (Peter Cushing) Was Going To Fix His Troubles After He Was Thrown Out Of Karlstaad Castle For Creating A Monster In The Laboratory & Hired A Hypnotist Called 'Zoltan' To Bring The Creature To Life. But, Everything Had Gone Horribly Wrong For The Baron. Zoltan Had Hypnotised The Creature To Rob The Villages. Full Of Surprises In This Movie. Hammer Horror Is A Huge Smash For All Horror Movies. I've Read About Each Hammer Film & Also The Stars As Well In The Movies.

Absolutely Fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have, 6 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Evil Of Frankenstein (Blu-ray + DVD) [1964] (Blu-ray)
I first saw this movie when I was very much younger than I am now. It was great to see this classic Hammer fare again. The film may have its detractors but to me it's a gem of its time. Great print too, a must have for the collector.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great imitation of Boris Karloff by Kiwi Kingston !, 24 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Evil Of Frankenstein (Blu-ray + DVD) [1964] (Blu-ray)
I've seen this movie several times (in 1965 for the first time in the cinema) , but never in this high quality blu-ray version ! Some very interesting extra's , but what I miss is an interview with the "monster" , Kiwi Kingston !

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Film, 1 July 2013
One of the best in Hammer's Frankenstein film series. It's a must see and the DVD quality is very good.

3.0 out of 5 stars evil of frankenstein Blu Ray, 23 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Evil Of Frankenstein (Blu-ray + DVD) [1964] (Blu-ray)
The picture quality of this BLURAY is generally very good indeed with excellent colours and in thankfully the correct film ratio ...however I suspect much of the grain has been removed in digital processing which gives a very smooth like appearance which distracts from a genuine film look....On the real downside is the fact that FINAL CUT have decided NOT to include SUB-TITLES of any language for the main feature....considering the high cost of the BLU RAY this is NOT acceptable and the people who are most likely to purchase are probably elderly who have developed Hard of Hearing problems with age.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 27 Jun 2014
Another classic

5.0 out of 5 stars Good old fashioned film, 27 May 2014
This review is from: The Evil Of Frankenstein (Blu-ray + DVD) [1964] (Blu-ray)
I've been keen to get some of my late childhood favourites on bluray, and waited for some time for this one.
It's a good example of improved clarity and sound production, (my argument with my better half - "is it worth it, over the dvd?" , answer - often yes if only for the remastered sound/score. In my humble opinion, this is a worthy addition to my bluray collection,
and is a darned good tale "sixties/seventies style".
The speedy service from "speedyhen" is, as always welcome and appreciated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deep dark world, 30 April 2014
feral (Tuxford, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Evil Of Frankenstein (Blu-ray + DVD) [1964] (Blu-ray)
The Evil of Frankenstein may not be in most Hammer fan's top tens, but it's in mine. It's a low-key film, but melancholic and elegant, all the same. If I tell you that Peter Cushing is wonderful throughout, you will not be very surprised, but his performance is surprising, full of angst and barely contained rage. But Cushing is just one element in a film that is deeper and darker than you expect it to be.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Evil Of Frankenstein (Blu-ray + DVD) [1964]
The Evil Of Frankenstein (Blu-ray + DVD) [1964] by Freddie Francis (Blu-ray - 2013)
19.62