2,001 Reviews
 (1,383)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating couldn't put it down
Very fascinating story of real people's lives, very emotional and twists and turns along the way. Honestly the most interesting book I've ever read. Don't think I will ever forget these characters would make an amazing film. It made me smile but mainly cry. So glad Jenny and Helen found each other they seem like wonderful people.
Published 21 months ago by Amy

Published 18 months ago by AEW

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating couldn't put it down, 24 Mar 2013
This review is from: My Secret Sister: Jenny Lucas and Helen Edwards' family story (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! What a book, 22 Mar 2013
This is truly an inspirational story. I first heard about Jenny and Helen's story when they were on my local news bulletin and even with the tiny snippet that was featured I knew I would enjoy this book.
I am going to purchase this in paper back as my neighbour would love to read it. I will also recommend this book to friends as well.
It has really made me stop and think and take stock of how lucky we all are, my grandad is a twin and sadly his sister died some years ago and I saw for myself the bond they had.
I am so glad Jenny and Helen found one another and what a story

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!!!, 26 Mar 2013
This book made me laugh and made me cry----beautifully written could almost taste the coal dust from the pits and the salt water from the beach..where there's life there is always hope....thanx for sharing your life story

4.0 out of 5 stars My Secret Sister, 23 April 2013
Well told. The story of 2 sisters. Reminding us of just a couple of generations ago, when illegitimacy was a social disaster for the woman, an unforgivable sin.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth a read, 25 April 2013
I saw Jenny and Helen on 'this morning' and just fancied reading their story. I thoroughly enjoyed it and had a tear in my eye on occasions. It was written very well and I couldn't put it down!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down., 11 April 2013
Once I started to read it, I couldn't put it down.
I was also pleased to read the extra at the end after the book was completed.
I occassionaly got confused about which sister I was reading about, but that might be something to do with my memory, rather than the fault of the book.

3.0 out of 5 stars A book that explores the lives of two sisters brought up apart., 14 Jun 2013
This book is ghost written which could explain how the two 'voices' narrating in the first person sound so similar to each other. Neither woman knew of the existence of the other until well into middle age because their mother was exceptionally devious and manipulative. Jenny, the child who was given for adoption, had the better life with loving parents and many opportunities and went on to become a renowned golf player. Helen stayed with her mother and the man she marries, and had an appalling time with both mental and physical abuse from both parents. The extended family of the mother collude in keeping the family secrets and when the two women attempt to find out more of their story they run against a wall of concealment, it is much to their credit that they persist in uncovering their story.

5.0 out of 5 stars very enjoyable, 24 Mar 2013
I really enjoyed reading this book, couldnt put it down! I know from past research that this was often case in times when you had to cover up the truth. Its far easier now to tell it how it is. So glad that Helen and Jenny found each other and I am sure
they will find out more on their journey, thank you so much for sharing this story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely tale !, 22 Mar 2013
What a fabulous book, bought it for my kindle to read on holiday and got told off by hubby for never taking my nose out of it until I had finished ! A truly remarkable story, cannot begin to imagine what Helen's childhood was like, we didn't have much, but we had a great upbringing, with friends welcome any time, so glad you found each other, all the best xx

1.0 out of 5 stars Are they really twins?, 1 Oct 2013
I really enjoyed the book and unlike others I did understand Helen and why she maintained a relationship with her less than perfect mother, Mercia.

My problem with the book came when I started reading the Epilogue. It was obvious from the photographs that Helen and Jenny were non-identical. As a non-identical twin myself, with a greater understanding of DNA testing, I know that there are no DNA tests that can tell when full non-identical sisters have been conceived. Once I had dismissed the DNA 'proof' and the 'they are so alike they must be closer than just mere sisters' it became more of a 'who dunnit' type of book and I started re-reading the clues that they are actually twins.

The information in the Epilogue contradicted the main part of the book and Helen must have been 'missing' the first 2.5 years and not one year of her life. The author/ghost writer did a poor job in summarising the document evidence that they were twins. It felt like because the authors assumed they had DNA proof that they were twins they dismissed evidence that they were sisters and read into cryptic/missing information in medical records that they were actually twins.
I hope there is a sequel and the Epilogue is expanded to explain: the bizarre situation that a woman of low moral standards (for her time) would split up twins; why Mercia would break the law and not register them together as twins; when did Tommy meet Mercia and why would he give his name to a toddler in 1950; confirm Helen's name before she was registered in 1950; when did Helen's Lloyd George GP notes start etc

It would be nice if Helen and Jenny are twins but after reading the book I am unconvinced :-(