Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:£1.99

on 27 May 2013
I love horror stories and this is simply the best book I have read in a long time. It gives some good modern competition to the old classics. I wish I could wipe my memory and read it all over again. Absolutely fantastic.
on 24 May 2013
Really enjoyed reading this, as it was broken up into short stories it felt like no time at all until it was finished, which I found quite sad!

Don't read it if your on your own in the house though lol. Will. be looking out for next reads ty.
on 1 April 2014
I gave this rating as it's been a long time since I enjoyed reading a book so much. I rationed myself to one story a night at bedtime so it would last me a little longer. It reminded me of old Hammer Horror compendium tales of horror from the 1970's. I felt the ending was a little rushed but overall a wonderfully atmospheric read. Sleep tight!
on 3 June 2013
A great book with different tales, all consisting of completely different notions. Very easy to read and great for picking up and putting down yet I found myself excited to start the next chapter.
33 comments3 of 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 April 2015
Fabulous!! It does what is says on the tin and some of the tales from the inmates of the asylum are actually very clever and kept me guessing. Basically a young man is injured in a car crash and this puts paid to his career as a journalist. Needing money because he cannot get benefits for his injuries, he takes a job as a night shift janitor at a local private asylum - sorry, mental hospital!! Martin is physically in pain and mentally anguished and after talking to his new colleague, Jimmy (a very odd man indeed) he decides to record the tales of the inmates and write a book about these and then give Jimmy a share of the profits. Martin does become increasingly disturbed and Jimmy does become increasingly odd and the ending is a doozy!! No spoilers, just enjoy the tales and keep the lights on!
on 24 January 2014
This is the 2nd book of Matt Drabble's that I've read. The plots and storylines are so unique and totally original. I've read a lot of books of the horror/mystery genre over the years, by a number of different writers. Stephen King, Clive Barker, Ramsay Campbell, and so on. Mr Drabble, for me and I'm sure a lot of other readers, rates highly amongst them. He creates genuine page turners with great twists and I'm definitely looking forward to my next read of his. He deserves to be far more highly rated than he currently is.
on 29 January 2014
Full house for this collections of Gems. Took me back to my childhood of Hammer films and tales of the unexpected.
Great read for a stormy winters evening.
Excellent value for money.
on 17 August 2013
An excellent read. Thirteen unique and thought provoking tales which I immensley enjoyed. Must confess, I didn't quite get the ending to the book (and whether there was some sort of link between all the tales) however, this did not detract from my enjoyment. Highly recommended and I'm already looking to purchase other books by the author.
on 31 May 2013
Recently read Gated so I thought I'd give this a try. I liked Gated (has some flaws but it was good nonetheless) but I think I like(d) this more. I sometimes have issues with short stories but these were just the right length and with the right amount of detail (for me) to enable me to get 'in' the story with the characters. Some really nice moments. a few stories seem to flow better than others but overall I think both this and Gated show great promise. I really liked the serial killer story at the end, and the blind mice one (pretty nasty). The story about the voice inside stayed with me a long time after I'd read it (read it on the bus going to work and it put me right off my muffin!!). So, there's no doubt he can tell a nasty story. A follow novella would be good possibly, to get inside the guy's head now he's locked up??
Good work. Looking forward to see you develop further.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 August 2013
This is an excellent book the best I have read in ages it kept me wanting to turn the pages . I was disappointed when I goo the end because it was so good it didn't t want it to end . I hope Matt Drabble will write more books in the same way. Highly recommend this book to everyone.