Published 13 months ago by J. Quinlan

1.0 out of 5 stars Whats the point when the AirPlay / WiFi is useless
Like others on here, I had been watching this item for a while and I had seen the other reviews on B&W products and was looking forward to having a high quality WiFI speaker system.

Published 7 months ago by R P Thatcher

4.0 out of 5 stars Usual great B & W sound, but overall package falls a bit short., 7 Jun 2013
J. Quinlan "stringsiv" (Reading, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bowers & Wilkins Z2 Wireless Music System with Lightning Connector Dock and Airplay (Electronics)
I really like this speaker dock. It's sound quality is exactly what you would expect from B & W. It provides detail in spades, plenty of bass (when required) and a surprisingly good sound stage for this type of device. I love the fact that there are plenty of options for connectivity. Sound quality over AirPlay is perhaps the best I've heard yet (though not heard any of B & Ws other AirPlay offerings). The only minor niggle I have sound wise is that I'd love to be able to set an "initial volume", it always seems a little on the loud side as soon as you connect.

So why no fifth star? Quite simply because the WiFi connectivity of the device is well below par. After trying to get this on to my network for a while, a little digging around the B & W website revealed that it only supports WiFi passwords containing alpha-numeric characters, i.e. no special characters or punctuation. This was not an obvious thing. In addition to that, it does not support 802.11n networks, only 802.11g. While neither of these things is an absolute deal breaker, it did mean I had to change (and weaken) my WiFi password, put the new password in to every WiFi device in the house, and, without a dual-band router my network is reduced to 802.11g speeds across the board. In my opinion, for a device in this price range, that is as newly released as this, these limitations are simply inexcusable. As far as I've been able to ascertain, these are hardware limitations so cannot be solved by a firmware update. Though if that's not the case I'd welcome correction. These issues could be circumvented by using ethernet, but that's not always plausible.

In summary:

Pros
* Great Sound
* Great Styling
* Good choice of inputs - physical docking, 3.5mm jack or Airplay
* Docking via Lightning connector which pivots forward to avoid damage to the speaker dock or you devices
* Simple but effective remote
* WiFi (see limitations) or ethernet

Cons
* WiFi connectivity limited (see full review for more detail) for a device of this price and age
* Could do with a few customisation options such as volume for initial startup, possible some EQ options
* Would prefer it if it had a cover for the dock section, particularly as mine is being used in the kitchen
* If I were being (fairies and unicorns) picky, it would be nice if it also had a USB input for 30 pin dock connector, or non Apple devices.

1.0 out of 5 stars Whats the point when the AirPlay / WiFi is useless, 16 Dec 2013

I have previosly owned BOSE speakers, which I have always thought provided excellent quality in terms of sound output, but was dissapointed that the 30 pin connector had given up after only 18 months of use, and was fed up of constantly having to tweak the position of my iPhone on the connector to get it to play.

I then look into WiFi systems & it was a choice between BOSE and Bowers & Wilkins. I brought into the reviews of the superior Audio quality of the B&W over the Bose, plus the Apple AirPlay sealed my choice - no more messing around with dock connectors.

The Z2 arrived & I can say that I was very impressed with the quality & design of the product, plugged it in & went through quite a simple set up application on my iPhone & bingo - I was connected & playing music through AirPlay. All my other iPhones & iMac in the house were all then connected & everything looked OK.

For the brief time it did work, the sound quality was very nice - but I have to say that to get the most out of it you had to crank the volume up quite high where it was very impressive. But at "normal" (not Ear busting) volume levels, I found the sound quite flat, and I felt my Bose speakes at the same level were better & richer.

However, my intial enthusiasm was short lived, when the WiFi / Airplay started to drop out & I couldn't get a connection on any of my devices. I have a good WiFi signal & have never had any problems, even picking up a good signal in the garden. But wherever I placed the Z2 in the house, it just didn't want to link with any of our iPhones & even when you do get a connection, it would drop out half way through a song. I kept tyring for a few days, but it was getting worse - so I have evntually given up & sent it back for a refund.

I have now seen other reviews with the same problem - so this clearly is a MAJOR issue with the Z2 & is the reason for my 1 star review. To be honest it would get a Zero if there was one - it might have the most fantastic sound in the world, but what is the point if you can never actually hear it?

Ok it has a Lightning connector which could be used, but this product is pretty much all about WiFi connection & this is the main reason i went for it. Clearly Bowers & Wilkins have a major problem with the AirPlay set up & getting any sort of permanent connection seems impossible. This totally defeats the purpose of the speaker, and is not what I expected from such a "premuim" product, from a manufacturer with such a high reputation.

OK I have no other experience of WiFi speakers to compare this to - but if you are considering buying this product then think very carefully about the other reviews concerning the connection problems, as it appears I am not alone.

Lovely product, gorgeous sound, but all useless when you have no WiFi connection. Very dissapointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars I really wanted this to be great, 15 Dec 2013
I bought this a couple of weeks and had high expectations.

Amazon had reduced the price by 100 to 229 and I had been watching it for a whole so I snapped it up.

I loved the look and weight of it. The sound is great and has great punch in a small room.

The biggest issue with this is that it will have a very short lifespan. Naively I thought apple airplay was essential for wirelessly connecting to a speaker. I have several apple devices and I have Apple TV which works well. However this product is limited to just airplay and the lightning dock. No doubt in a years time apple will have released a new iPhone with a new charging connector so this in itself has a limited use. There is no Bluetooth facility so you are limited to airplay.

Airplay is clunky. Unless your wifi router is in the same room or next door you will forever be having music drop out as you are listening. This ruins the experience. I moved my router around but I didn't want the thing flashing on the bedroom so I placed it back in the lounge and decided this wasn't right for me. It's too expensive to rely on airplay which in built up areas you will be forever getting interference from the 20 other wifi signals.

Instead I purchased a Logitech Wireless Speaker Adaptor for Bluetooth Audio Devices and plugged it into my old klipsch igroove. Walah! Simplicity and great sound through Bluetooth which doesn't drop out! And saved myself 100s!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Sound, 3 Oct 2013
PROS:

- Excellent sound (Actually I think this beats my Bose Sound dock)
- AirPlay works like it should
- Looks amazing
- Not too small, not too big

Cons:
- NA

1.0 out of 5 stars great when it works, 31 May 2014
I've had my z2 for over one year now and worked fantastically. but recently stopped working and tried to contact bower and wilkinson and they are not much help at all. So basically i have an over sized paper weight. this i should have looked at bose or sono instead think would have been better choice now

5.0 out of 5 stars My first airplay speaker..worked immediately.., 17 Mar 2014
OK, just plug it in. Download the B&W app to iPhone and follow idiots-guide to link it to the home network. All done in a few minutes. Use the control panel on iPhone (the one where you swipe from bottom of phone upwards) and select your new airplay speaker. Go to Music and press play. Good solid B&W sound typical of speakers this size. 5 stars as B&W also gave 3 months free subscription to their audio-phile website. OK, now to save the budget required to put an airplay speaker in every room!!

UPDATE: I've noticed a few reviews from users complaining about airplay/wifi and drop-outs in the music playing. UNLESS you do have a defective unit this is in my humble opinion due to your wifi signal speed and strength of coverage. You need to ensure your wifi router is a very good one, with the latest software/rom, and that coverage across the house is excellent. eg if you have a 5 year old wifi unit sadly that may not be up to it.

Update2: after 6 weeks of using it I can say my wife is pleased with it's sound in our kitchen. I have since installed another 2 airplay speakers in other rooms.

4.0 out of 5 stars B&W Z2, 14 Mar 2014
no problem with this apart from it doesn't work with older generation iPods (like mine!). this wasn't clear from the accompanying bumpf, so it's been sent back.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite perfect, 24 Dec 2013
I bought this to replace a Griffin Amplifi. The Griffin was good for the money, but this sounds so much better, despite it being smaller in size. It packs quite a punch for something so small. The big omission is not having Bluetooth. There seems to be many reviews complaining about dropout of the sound, so thought I would give a summary of my experiences so far. Playing music from my iPhone 4 is really a non starter. Even if I killed off all the Apps on the iPhone, the dropout was terrible. My iPad 2 faired a bit better, but was still not acceptable. However when I streamed music from my Mac, there was not this problem at all. The Mac is connected to my wireless router via an ethernet cable, so the only wireless connection is to the Z2. I have heard the odd dropout, but we are talking rare, rather then several times during a track. I disconnected the ethernet cable and connected the Mac to the router via wi-fi, to see if the 'sending' wi-fi link was causing the issue. My brief experiment of this found that wi-fi from the Mac was no worse than using ethernet. My conclusion is that you will get the odd wi-fi drop out, but in the main the dropouts I have encountered must be from my iPhone 4 and iPad 2. I can only assume that these being older devices are struggling at multi-tasking. I would assume that the latest iPhones and iPads would be less susceptible to dropping out, as they have faster processors. Having said that I have used my iPhone connected to a bluetooth speaker once, and that did not have a dropout problem. I really think B&W should have covered the bluetooth route also, hence 4 stars rather than 5.
*** 4 months down the line .... If the microwave oven is on you can forget airplay, as is really kills the wifi. I guess this will also be a problem if you are near to your neighbour's microwave ***

4.0 out of 5 stars Great speakers with one shortfall, 2 Dec 2013
The sound is absolutely fabulous, the remote works fine and has a mode to switch between AUX and AirPlay which I discovered after couple of days. The sound quality is absolutely value for money in what you get for this price. I have read reviews where people have liked this one than their BOSE ones. Airplay works fine for me and I get a good range with my wifi. The only shortfall I think is its dependency on Apple products. I know this is tagged as AirPlay speakers, however, if B&W would have considered making this wifi enabled as well, I would be able to play youtube videos thru with with my PC which I can't at the moment. Not sure if there are any add-ons available in the market which can make this happen. Overall, I am happy with the purchase and love the sound from it.

4.0 out of 5 stars great product and design, 26 April 2014
Hongbo Gao "Tester" (UK) - See all my reviews
great sound quality compact in this small size

airplay sometimes tricky can not be found on iOS device even used a minute ago

hope this will be fit for the speculating iPhone 6 otherwise......