Published on 7 Jun. 2013 by J. Quinlan

2.0 out of 5 stars I really wanted this to be great
I bought this a couple of weeks and had high expectations.

Amazon had reduced the price by £100 to £229 and I had been watching it for a whole so I snapped it up.

I loved the look and weight of it. The sound is great and has great punch in a small room.

The biggest issue with this is that it will have a very short lifespan. Naively I...
Published 18 months ago by texaspetey

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Usual great B & W sound, but overall package falls a bit short., 7 Jun. 2013
J. Quinlan "stringsiv" (Reading, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bowers & Wilkins Z2 Wireless Music System with Lightning Connector Dock and Airplay (Electronics)
I really like this speaker dock. It's sound quality is exactly what you would expect from B & W. It provides detail in spades, plenty of bass (when required) and a surprisingly good sound stage for this type of device. I love the fact that there are plenty of options for connectivity. Sound quality over AirPlay is perhaps the best I've heard yet (though not heard any of B & Ws other AirPlay offerings). The only minor niggle I have sound wise is that I'd love to be able to set an "initial volume", it always seems a little on the loud side as soon as you connect.

So why no fifth star? Quite simply because the WiFi connectivity of the device is well below par. After trying to get this on to my network for a while, a little digging around the B & W website revealed that it only supports WiFi passwords containing alpha-numeric characters, i.e. no special characters or punctuation. This was not an obvious thing. In addition to that, it does not support 802.11n networks, only 802.11g. While neither of these things is an absolute deal breaker, it did mean I had to change (and weaken) my WiFi password, put the new password in to every WiFi device in the house, and, without a dual-band router my network is reduced to 802.11g speeds across the board. In my opinion, for a device in this price range, that is as newly released as this, these limitations are simply inexcusable. As far as I've been able to ascertain, these are hardware limitations so cannot be solved by a firmware update. Though if that's not the case I'd welcome correction. These issues could be circumvented by using ethernet, but that's not always plausible.

In summary:

Pros
* Great Sound
* Great Styling
* Good choice of inputs - physical docking, 3.5mm jack or Airplay
* Docking via Lightning connector which pivots forward to avoid damage to the speaker dock or you devices
* Simple but effective remote
* WiFi (see limitations) or ethernet

Cons
* WiFi connectivity limited (see full review for more detail) for a device of this price and age
* Could do with a few customisation options such as volume for initial startup, possible some EQ options
* Would prefer it if it had a cover for the dock section, particularly as mine is being used in the kitchen
* If I were being (fairies and unicorns) picky, it would be nice if it also had a USB input for 30 pin dock connector, or non Apple devices.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good job I didn't listen and went with my 'gut-feeling, 9 Mar. 2015
So after owning a Bowers and Wilkins A7 I was told that anything else on the market pales into complete insignificance! Good job I didn't listen and went with my 'gut-feeling.'

So I wanted something portable as the A7 although quite amazing is just too heavy and bulky to move around 'will-nilly.' At £169 I believe this unit to be an INCREDIBLE bargain! I'd considered Sonus and others but felt like being loyal as the A7 is some Mother of a speaker. Indeed I did and bought the Z2 through Amazon and really expected very little. BOY was I wrong!!!! Setting up took less than two minutes, and now is available for me to use through the Airbook or iMac but best of all is the iPod Touch 5G.

Sound? With so many EQ settings I'd be very surprised if you could not find one YOU liked. As I type I'm listening to many Beatles hits. No not at all decent quality so when you play something recent you'll go dippy-gaga when you hear it power out some music that just begs to be played on the Z2.

I'm still enjoying Redbone and others from Guardians of the Galaxy. Tried them through the Z2 and stood back in complete astonishment! Agreed most or what I have is converted to Apple Losless and does sound amazing, Even an MP3 works well but for quality a CD converted to AL is best in my humble.

In short then; quality of product is around 95%; sound ...the same ... aww hell it just rocks for £169.

DON'T believe AT ALL what you read on reviews about the signal dropping all the time. It is complete toddle-wash! I have a BT infinity 4 Router, which is parked two walls and sixty feet away. I move the Z2 all around my bungalow and I'm still waiting for the signal to drop off. Simply it does not if set up correctly with Airplay.

Had the Four Tops from the 1960's blasting out this afternoon and heck did it make me smile.

In a word? Stunning. Oh and I'm a grumpy old pensioner ... who still enjoys the Specials, The Jam, Madness and many many more waiting to fire up through this awesome wee Z2. :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite perfect, 24 Dec. 2013
I bought this to replace a Griffin Amplifi. The Griffin was good for the money, but this sounds so much better, despite it being smaller in size. It packs quite a punch for something so small. The big omission is not having Bluetooth. There seems to be many reviews complaining about dropout of the sound, so thought I would give a summary of my experiences so far. Playing music from my iPhone 4 is really a non starter. Even if I killed off all the Apps on the iPhone, the dropout was terrible. My iPad 2 faired a bit better, but was still not acceptable. However when I streamed music from my Mac, there was not this problem at all. The Mac is connected to my wireless router via an ethernet cable, so the only wireless connection is to the Z2. I have heard the odd dropout, but we are talking rare, rather then several times during a track. I disconnected the ethernet cable and connected the Mac to the router via wi-fi, to see if the 'sending' wi-fi link was causing the issue. My brief experiment of this found that wi-fi from the Mac was no worse than using ethernet. My conclusion is that you will get the odd wi-fi drop out, but in the main the dropouts I have encountered must be from my iPhone 4 and iPad 2. I can only assume that these being older devices are struggling at multi-tasking. I would assume that the latest iPhones and iPads would be less susceptible to dropping out, as they have faster processors. Having said that I have used my iPhone connected to a bluetooth speaker once, and that did not have a dropout problem. I really think B&W should have covered the bluetooth route also, hence 4 stars rather than 5.
*** 4 months down the line .... If the microwave oven is on you can forget airplay, as is really kills the wifi. I guess this will also be a problem if you are near to your neighbour's microwave ***

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality Sound System, 8 Sept. 2014
I already have a B&W Zeppelin and had been keeping an eye on the price of the Z2 for some time. I wanted a smaller good quality sound system for a different room and my preference was to stick with B&W if at all possible. The unit has a simple but attractive design, and the build quality is excellent. The sound quality as you would expect from B&W is excellent and really fills a room. As yet I have had no problems streaming music from my iPad via wifi using Airplay. My router is on a different floor in the house and I've had no drop outs yet. I have also downloaded the WHAALE airplay multiroom app from iTunes which allows me to use the Zeppelin and Z2 simultaneously, playing either the same or different music in different rooms at the same time, rather like a Sonos system. All in all I'm very happy with the Z2 especially at the lower price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sound; lousy wireless system, 8 Oct. 2014
Excellent sound quality, let down by a lousy wireless interface.

The Z2 is a neat package: looks good, projects a full and rich sound which is quite surprising for its size.

The remote is a little tacky and isn't really in keeping with the Z2's quality appearance.

My only real grip is the wireless signal is interrupted every time I use either my iPhone, iPad or MacBook. The sound drops out, sometimes for minutes, which is really very frustrating. Apparently it's a common problem.

I've since upgraded my router but cannot tell you whether it's an improvement as it hasn't arrived yet.

On the whole I'm reasonably pleased, especially as I bought it for less that £170 new.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing., 18 Jun. 2015
The sound from this is incredible, for a price that should really be more. I bought this, to replace a series 1 Bose SoundDock, that was no longer compatible with my newer iPhone or Mac. I bought this at John Lewis, due to it being the same price and being able to compare it to a Sonos Play 1, Play 3 and the newer Bose SoundDock and to see the performance in real life. This, even at quieter volumes blew the other speakers away, and when songs with bass heavy background music came on, it wasn't distorted at 3/4 volume and only slightly got distorted at the highest, very loud volumes. This was still way above what the competition could do. The wifi performance isn't that great in our house, so we have AirPort Express units in every room, so this is connected to an ethernet connection to a AirPort express. No dropouts over AirPlay ever. I also use the Line IN to a PS4, and sounds great for Need For Speed and The Crew. This also does charge an iPhone very quickly through the dock. The sound is the best quality when going through AirPlay or The Lightning Dock, due to being able to use the Z2's DAC systems. However there is no noticable difference when going through line in also. Play Daft Punk's Outlands Pt.II loud and you will see what this is capable of. This is also notably better than the Zepplin Mini for sound quality and loudness. Overall worth the £170, easily. Also, you can create a Wifi hotspot from the speaker to connect directly from it. Just don't connect the speaker to a WIFI network when you first set it up, No drop outs will happen and great if you take it somewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars My first airplay speaker..worked immediately.., 17 Mar. 2014
OK, just plug it in. Download the B&W app to iPhone and follow idiots-guide to link it to the home network. All done in a few minutes. Use the control panel on iPhone (the one where you swipe from bottom of phone upwards) and select your new airplay speaker. Go to Music and press play. Good solid B&W sound typical of speakers this size. 5 stars as B&W also gave 3 months free subscription to their audio-phile website. OK, now to save the budget required to put an airplay speaker in every room!!

UPDATE: I've noticed a few reviews from users complaining about airplay/wifi and drop-outs in the music playing. UNLESS you do have a defective unit this is in my humble opinion due to your wifi signal speed and strength of coverage. You need to ensure your wifi router is a very good one, with the latest software/rom, and that coverage across the house is excellent. eg if you have a 5 year old wifi unit sadly that may not be up to it.

Update2: after 6 weeks of using it I can say my wife is pleased with it's sound in our kitchen. I have since installed another 2 airplay speakers in other rooms.

4.0 out of 5 stars B&W Z2, 14 Mar. 2014
no problem with this apart from it doesn't work with older generation iPods (like mine!). this wasn't clear from the accompanying bumpf, so it's been sent back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy especially at £169, 23 Oct. 2014
I must admit I am a bit of a B&W fan as I have 2 Zeppelin Air's one in the Living Room and one in the Dining Room and I considered a Z2 earlier in the year for the kitchen but at £330 as it was then priced I could not really justify this for the amount of use it would get.

Having dropped the price to £169 this was something of a must buy for me. Ordered on Wednesday arrived 5pm Thursday great service from Amazon. Setup and working in around 10 minutes with the iPhone app and a reset. Good sound quality and looks the business and sits on the window cill in the kitchen so just the right size as well.

At £169 I don't see how you can go wrong with this great little speaker and for non apple devotees there is even a 3.5mm jack plug socket as well. Comes with the new lightening connector but Airplay means that this would rarely, if ever, be used.

5 Stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive., 18 April 2015
it just works - no dropouts. There are no eq settings I can find, which would have been nice, and a couple of times I needed to toggle the power button to 'wake it up' from standby, but very happy with it - especially for the price.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›