5.0 out of 5 stars So skinny it could be an imac
TV's have come a very long way since I watched The Coronation on a curved grey glass square set inside a lavish walnut cabinet adorned with a couple of bakerlite knobs.

Published 10 months ago by Mrs. Katharine Kirby

Good looking TV and easy enough to set up and use. HOWEVER....Two very BAD points!
1.Picture sharp enough but with poor 'unreal' colours. I have tried to adjust (I am an ex TV technician!) but it seems impossible to correct this issue.
2.Unbelieveably, you cannot switch the TV off other than by going into standby mode.
I rang Toshiba in relation to this...
Published 1 month ago by PeterH

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars So skinny it could be an imac, 14 Jun 2013
Mrs. Katharine Kirby "Kate" (HELSTON, Cornwall United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Toshiba 22D1334B 22-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD LED TV with Built-In DVD Player (Electronics)

This one takes the biscuit for being the least offensive, most unobtrusive, quietly elegant, crisply clean and attractive `television set' I've ever bought. As with a super model you have to wonder `where are the intestines?' It lives in a guest bedroom and I can hardly tear myself away from gazing at its tidy, open, minimalistic face.

Adopting the suck it and see attitude most over sixties have to instructions I undressed it in the bedroom, carelessly chucking the booklet to one side on the grounds I couldn't read it without my glasses anyway. No problems attaching the base, I reckoned, there are four screws and an odd white plastic square to get to grips with. This is when a kind young helper stepped in to stop me screwing the long screws straight through the screen without recourse to the white bracket.

You could attach it to the wall using a purpose made tv wall mounting arrangement - there is a square base for that on the back of the box. We settled for a short screw through the base hole kindly provided to keep it sitting on the (cheap white, not antique) tv table I wanted it to stay put on. I think it's a good idea to secure the telly, as being so light; a slight breeze might blow it over. Or a dog's tail might pass by wagging or a grandchild might attempt to push a sandwich into the dvd slot...

We inserted batteries into the remote, which is pretty simple to work out - upstairs for television programmes and the down below for the films. Anyway there it was safe and sound standing to attention and so we did the big switch on and worked the through the menu. That was all easy peasy, the EPG (Electronic Programme Guide) is clear and legible on a white background, and it picked up all the Freeview channels no trouble at all. The dvd disc loaded and started to play obediently. Slight panic when we wanted to try and eject it, you have to let the disc stop spinning before you press the lower of the two buttons on the side of the set to eject.

All well and good! This Toshiba `leading innovation' must be pretty future proof and entirely open to all boarders as it also lets you plug in through USB your camera, your video camera, also your mp3 music player, ipod, pc, wires and connections are provided. We haven't got HD supplied to us yet but of course it will happily show that too. The LED back light means if you feel like watching in daylight (something my mother would never allow) then the picture is still sharp and bright. Lovely colours, the ability to change the settings if you dare, all around I am happy to give this pretty little thing five stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba TV, 24 July 2013
I was very pleased with the look of the TV which I got in white as it was for the bedroom. Not many TVs have built in DVD and I particularly wanted this. Also wanted HDMI facilities so I could use i player on it. Very satisfied with the ease of setting it up and picture quality is great. I only didn't give it 5 stars because of the sound quality which to me is a bit on the tinny side. Have tried altering the sound settings but no great improvement. The sound is adequate but could be a lot better. 22 inch is a good size for a bedroom. The whole thing is very neat and easy to use.

4.0 out of 5 stars A super bedroom tele, 16 Oct 2013
TV is mostly about picture quality, and for this theTosh scores full marks.
The only thing I'm not so keen on is the update function. Switching off from the Remote puts it in Standby mode; the picture and sound turn off and the Standby light glows red.
The first night I had it, I woke up at about 3am to find the Standby light pulsing red and green. Since I had no idea what it meant I did a quick check of the skimpy User Guide and found nothing, so, assuming some fault had surfaced, I powered it off totally and contacted Toshiba in the morning. Eventually I got a response saying that it was not a fault, but simply an indication that the TV was updating itself. This really should be written in big bold letters in a prominent place in the User Guide.
Other than that, its a great little TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent purchase, 16 Aug 2013
I bought this for my bedroom and have been delighted with it. The picture is very clear, the sound is fine (despite adverse comments from other purchasers) and it is also extremely compact. I would have liked a switch off button on the set, but understand it is not unusual for this feature to be absent from TVs and combis. Overall, though, I am very happy with this product and would not hesitate to recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV, 11 Oct 2013
HD, right size as a large kitchen TV or small lounge TV, good price and DVD player - a great deal!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely bedroom television, 1 Nov 2013
This tv is great, good picture, nice clear sound and a very attractive televison for a kitchen or bedroom. Would recommend

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice TV but first set came up with "Wrong Region" error message for DVD, 23 Mar 2014
JimmyO (South West, UK) - See all my reviews
The TV was easy to install and setup. Ideal for a bedroom and was purchased as a gift for my daughter (her first bedroom television). So we were very disappointed to get the error message for several region 2 DVD's (all play perfectly on other players in the house and are all legitimate disks). Toshiba's own website suggests they are only DVD R2.0 so must be a dodgy set/ DVD unit.

[...]
Amazon have been super (as ever) about arranging a replacement and DPD collection of this defective set.

I may amend the review based on the experience with the replacement...

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, with two major issues. Toshiba 22D1334B 22-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD LED TV with Built-In DVD..., 4 Mar 2014
I rang Toshiba in relation to this second issue, and it seems that this is the way they produce this and other TV sets.
NOT very satisfactory for me, so I cut the mains cable near the back of the TV and inserted an 'in line' on/off switch.
Yes, we should be encouraged to use the standby function, but not to this extent. Are we really expected to get on our hands and knees to unplug the mains plug from the wall socket when we want to switch the set off for a period of time?
What would the 'health and safety' experts have to say with this situation I wonder?
If the set were not to be used as an occasional bedroom TV, I would have sent it back to Amazon for a refund!

3.0 out of 5 stars Is Amazon becoming Argos???, 13 Feb 2014
I can't write a comprehensive review as I only have looked at the product briefly this is due to when I unboxed the item it was clear by the markings on the rear of the TV that the stand had been fitted before... (I reckon I must have had the same one an earlier reviewer below). Because of this I am returning the item as it is not "new". I don't expect to buy new and get something that been opened before. This is one of the reasons I don not buy from Argos anymore as I'm sick and tired of getting other peoples returned goods that usually have broken or missing pieces where Argos haven't bothered to check the item before it goes back in stock, Is Amazon going down this route??? Thankfully nothing was missing or broken as far as I could see but I don't trust an item that has been opened & I should not have to accept this. If an item is returned it should not have been used & customers should not return stuff unless there is a genuine problem like a fault & not return once they have unboxed it, used it & decided they don't want it for whatever reason... rant over.

On to the TV and I would point out that the screen size only measures 21 & a quarter inches so it is slightly less than the stated 22 inches. Looks very good in white like an i-mac monitor & fits in with the décor where it would be placed (the replacement one that is). Seeing as the item has been used before I did play a couple of excerpts from dvds to check picture quality & I would say picture quality is adequate from the price, not bad but equally not amazing, it would be unfair for me to compare picture quality to my main TV costing 10 times as much. The TV is only for the kids bedroom & handy space saver having the built in dvd, which my only gripe is it is a bit noisy when ejecting a disc. sound is as you would expect from a small flat screen flat & tinny, no real bass or depth to the sound but again adequate for the price.

all in all a decent product for the money as long as you get a "new" one. Mine is being returned today (hope you don't get that one) and i've ordered a replacement 24" inch to compensate on the slightly smaller screen measurement

3.0 out of 5 stars Satisfactory, 24 Nov 2013
Poor sound (very thin and tinny), average picture quality, very poor viewing angle. That said, it's good value (cheap), looks nice and is absolutely fine for a bedroom or kitchen.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›