5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a beginner like myself
I took up running a few months ago. Recently saw this highly rated in Runners World Magazine. It is brilliant for my beginners status. Out of the box all I needed to do was charge it for a few hrs via the USB.
Published 14 months ago by KDS27

2.0 out of 5 stars New runner
Bit concerned 2 runs with garmin all good ran today aiming for my 1st 5 mile run lost signal only 2.05 miles recorded which I know from previous @ least 4 + miles hope doesn't happen again definitely not helpful a right downer !!
Published 7 months ago by T. Gray

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a beginner like myself, 12 May 2013
For my 1st run the GPS picked up within 15 seconds and stayed on. The watch has several modes - you can only see 2 things at the same time. It is really easy to use. I have mine set to Run time/Distance as that is all I need to know. You can also change from miles to Kilometers.
You can upload all your data onto the Garmin website - Very simple to set up, you just need to register, and you can see your route on a map, average speed, calories burnt, gradient etc.
I have been using it for 4 days now and the most time spent picking up the GPS has been 15seconds.
If you are a beginner, and just want to know your times and distances, then I highly reccomend this watch,

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive Watch, Easy to use and Water Resistant (not Waterproof), 1 Jan 2013
I purchased the Forerunner 10 after owning a Garmin 310XT for about three years. I wanted something smaller and lighter to run with when I didn't want the bulk of the 310XT.

I completed number of runs wearing both watches and both recorded identical tracks. The Forerunner 10 is extremely easy to upload information to Garmin Connect to monitor your performance.

I have been very impressed with the watch. But I would like to correct a few of the previous reviews about the waterproofness of the watch.

It is NOT waterproof it is water resistant.

On the Garmin site it states it is Water Resistant to 50m. (This is the same as the Garmin swim proof watches, 310XT etc)

I contacted Garmin Support about swimming with the Forerunner 10 and got the following reply:

"I'm afraid the Forerunner 10 is not designed for swimming like the 310XT so we cannot guarantee complete waterproofness like the 310XT however it is waterproof up to 50 meters."

Still being a bit confused about how two products can be rated to the same waterproof level but not have the same waterproofness?

I asked the following:

"So getting down to basics, can the Garmin Forerunner 10 be worn:

Running in the rain
On wet days
In the shower"

And got the following reply:

"there is a difference between water proof and water resistance. The Forerunner 10 is water resistant in up to 1 meter of water for 30 minutes.

However we do not recommend that you wear it in the shower, the watch would be fine to wear in the rain as it is designed to handle this type of weather."

Update:
I have had a Forerunner 10 for about a year now and use it all the time as my normal wrist watch. I get well over two weeks out of it between charges if I don't use the GPS. As with all GPS devices you need them to see the sky to get a position. I personally just stick it in the garden for a few minutes whilst I get ready to go for a run. I have used it in all conditions from heavy cloud to rain and it has never had a problem with maintaining GPS positions once the initial fix is obtained.

5.0 out of 5 stars First GPS running unit - very impresesd so far, 5 Sep 2013
C. Trayers (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought one of these in the hope it owuld motivate me to run further/faster/more often, after becoming a bit bored of the same old routes. I had previously been using GPS software on my phone which would give intermittant updates on distance, pace, time etc, but that was always tucked away in an inaccessible pocket, and required the use of headphones whilst running which I'm not a huge fan of as I run on country roads (and also get very bored of listening to the same old music over and over). The watch seems to be far more accurate than any of the variety of running apps I've tried over the years.

I'm by no means a serious runner - go to work running club once a week and do approx 2 runs of c.10km a week other than that, and am doing a 1/2 marathon later in the year. I've taken this watch out for a few runs now, and so far I'm pretty impressed by it. Setup is really simple - it essentially works straight out of the box, and setting up the online account to sync workouts to is easy and just requires the download of a plugin from the Garmin website and registering to create an online account.

My unit came partially charged, so I took it to running club the day it arrived, without having had chance to play with the different settings etc and it was as simple really as pressing the go button (the one with the little man icon next to it) and off I went. It finds satellites reasonably quickly, though it does vary a bit depending on where I am. It is almost instantaneous when at work (urban area), but at home (a bit more out in the sticks) it takes up to a minute at times. I find that if I set it looking for satellites whilst still getting trainers on etc then it doesn't delay things.

I've not tried out the pace setting function yet, but have used the auto pause which is really handy if you have routes which require you to stop to cross roads etc, if you don't want that to be included in your total run time as it'll "stop the clock" when it detects you have stopped moving and automatically restart when you start running again. It also can be set up to bleep at each mile, or when you achieve new PB distances or pace.

Syncing the runs to the Garmin website is really easy, and once done gives you really good information about the runs you have done, even down to including approximate weather conditions for the area when you were running! The unit comes with a USB charger, so I have been syncing it whilst leaving it on charge - it will only store ten runs before overwriting them so if you're a regular runner, or particularly bothered about having every run recorded you probably need to get into a routine of uploading them. You can get an adaptor to plug the USB into a mains socket if required, but I'm sure an iphone mains charger or similar would do the trick.

My other half has a top-of-the-range Garmin watch and this appears to be equal in terms of accuracy, and is probably actually a bit quicker in finding the satellites. Obviously it's not got all the fancy bells and whistles on that some of the higher models have, but it does all I wanted it to and can't imagine needing any extra functionality.

It's a good looking watch, and is small enough to wear when not running and very lightweight. Apparently it's water resistant - mine has been in the shower and was fine. All in all I'm very happy with it, and the price on Amazon (for the green version) was the cheapest I'd found.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish and Useful, 1 July 2014
I bought this on the recommendation of a fellow walker. It is easy to use and can be read without spectacles, which is sometimes necessary for oldies like me. It is light on the wrist and I picked a jaunty colour which I like. It is easy to charge and a full battery lasts for several hours on a walk with the Gps active. The only negative has nothing to do with the watch but the lack of a signal in certain areas but this is no different from trying to use a mobile phone. For casual walkers, such as me, this is a good buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple but effective. Just lacking Bluetooth connectivity, 28 Jun 2014
Simple but effective. Just lacking Bluetooth connectivity

Easy to use, not over complicated. Good value in comparison to the more expensive models

5.0 out of 5 stars A great buy, 7 Oct 2013
Nice slick design- not too chunky on the wrist. Easy to set up and use with good data analysis after

2.0 out of 5 stars New runner, 19 Nov 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars A good running watch, 24 July 2013
My first running watch, it has all the functions I require and a few more. It has been out in the rain and no issues.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 22 July 2013
Does exactly what it should and id a great running aid.
Only didn't give five stars because:
a. Could be quicker at finding satellite.
b. Battery should probably last longer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what i needed, 17 Feb 2014
Jo (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin Forerunner 10 GPS Running Watch - Orange (Sports)
The name Garmin is synonymous with running as far as i'm concerned, but i've always been wary of the price tag associated with the watches.

After getting fed up with using several phone apps and getting frustrated with the permissions they requested, I needed something that would do everything i wanted in one place.

Well, not with the F10. I count this as good value for money. It's compact and very simple to use. Charges via a USB cable. Has a back light. A few functions (i.e. setting run/walk times) and tracks your distance via GPS.

It does exactly what i need it to. It tells me how far and how fast i've run. It gives me my average pace, as well as each mile pace if i want. Bang on Garmin. I love it.