5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a beginner like myself
I took up running a few months ago. Recently saw this highly rated in Runners World Magazine. It is brilliant for my beginners status. Out of the box all I needed to do was charge it for a few hrs via the USB.
Published 22 months ago by KDS27

2.0 out of 5 stars slow to pick up GPS
Initially I loved this, but over the month I have had it it has gradually got slower and slower picking up the GPS signal until it is really no use to me: when I go out for a run I want to just set off, not aimlessly wander the streets 'warming up' for 20 minutes till it connects with GPS. I am going to try to get my money back.
Published 4 months ago by bella

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a beginner like myself, 12 May 2013
For my 1st run the GPS picked up within 15 seconds and stayed on. The watch has several modes - you can only see 2 things at the same time. It is really easy to use. I have mine set to Run time/Distance as that is all I need to know. You can also change from miles to Kilometers.
You can upload all your data onto the Garmin website - Very simple to set up, you just need to register, and you can see your route on a map, average speed, calories burnt, gradient etc.
I have been using it for 4 days now and the most time spent picking up the GPS has been 15seconds.
If you are a beginner, and just want to know your times and distances, then I highly reccomend this watch,

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 8 Jan. 2015
Had the watch for a while but I wanted to wait to post a review.

Comes with some charge in it and I would recommend taking it out for a quick test so that it can find it's nearest satellites. Extremely easy to use. Been running for a year and this is all I've needed so far seen as i'm not overly bothered with heart rate. Only had a few instances where its been unable to find signal until 10 minutes into the run. I would recommend once you've charged it and used it, to leave it on. I find that if i turn it off when it's just sitting it takes much longer to fins signal than if i had it left it on.

Only slight issue that comes up from time to time is if it's very cold the screen can steam up a little but it hasnt been much of an issue. Been running with it for roughly around 3 times a week, including one half marathon and the strap is still holding up well, i noticed some have mentioned about it snapping.

The functions on it are very useful:
virtual pace - allows you to set a pace time and will beep when your over/under
run/walk - set a time to run and then a walking time. Can also be used for intervals
garmin connect - very useful online resource where you can view your activities including incline, calender diary, set goals and loads more. Also recently linked itself to myfitnespal
once you've finished a run it will give you a run down of your lap times (by mile) and your average speed, distance and time.

Overall I would definitely recommend this, my running buddy has also just purchased this as well since it's been a useful addition to almost all of our runs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive Watch, Easy to use and Water Resistant (not Waterproof), 1 Jan. 2013
I purchased the Forerunner 10 after owning a Garmin 310XT for about three years. I wanted something smaller and lighter to run with when I didn't want the bulk of the 310XT.

I completed number of runs wearing both watches and both recorded identical tracks. The Forerunner 10 is extremely easy to upload information to Garmin Connect to monitor your performance.

I have been very impressed with the watch. But I would like to correct a few of the previous reviews about the waterproofness of the watch.

It is NOT waterproof it is water resistant.

On the Garmin site it states it is Water Resistant to 50m. (This is the same as the Garmin swim proof watches, 310XT etc)

I contacted Garmin Support about swimming with the Forerunner 10 and got the following reply:

"I'm afraid the Forerunner 10 is not designed for swimming like the 310XT so we cannot guarantee complete waterproofness like the 310XT however it is waterproof up to 50 meters."

Still being a bit confused about how two products can be rated to the same waterproof level but not have the same waterproofness?

I asked the following:

"So getting down to basics, can the Garmin Forerunner 10 be worn:

Running in the rain
On wet days
In the shower"

And got the following reply:

"there is a difference between water proof and water resistance. The Forerunner 10 is water resistant in up to 1 meter of water for 30 minutes.

However we do not recommend that you wear it in the shower, the watch would be fine to wear in the rain as it is designed to handle this type of weather."

Update:
I have had a Forerunner 10 for about a year now and use it all the time as my normal wrist watch. I get well over two weeks out of it between charges if I don't use the GPS. As with all GPS devices you need them to see the sky to get a position. I personally just stick it in the garden for a few minutes whilst I get ready to go for a run. I have used it in all conditions from heavy cloud to rain and it has never had a problem with maintaining GPS positions once the initial fix is obtained.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very easy to use, 2 Jan. 2015
Bought this for my husband for Christmas. He used it for the first time today and absolutely loves it. Got very excited to find it told him how many miles he'd ran, how many calories he'd burned, height climbed, distance run etc, etc. And the best thing is, it's very easy and simple to use (even for a gadget-phobe!). He's now looking forward to his next run so he can beat his current timing. Would definitely recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars First GPS running unit - very impresesd so far, 5 Sept. 2013
C. Trayers (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought one of these in the hope it owuld motivate me to run further/faster/more often, after becoming a bit bored of the same old routes. I had previously been using GPS software on my phone which would give intermittant updates on distance, pace, time etc, but that was always tucked away in an inaccessible pocket, and required the use of headphones whilst running which I'm not a huge fan of as I run on country roads (and also get very bored of listening to the same old music over and over). The watch seems to be far more accurate than any of the variety of running apps I've tried over the years.

I'm by no means a serious runner - go to work running club once a week and do approx 2 runs of c.10km a week other than that, and am doing a 1/2 marathon later in the year. I've taken this watch out for a few runs now, and so far I'm pretty impressed by it. Setup is really simple - it essentially works straight out of the box, and setting up the online account to sync workouts to is easy and just requires the download of a plugin from the Garmin website and registering to create an online account.

My unit came partially charged, so I took it to running club the day it arrived, without having had chance to play with the different settings etc and it was as simple really as pressing the go button (the one with the little man icon next to it) and off I went. It finds satellites reasonably quickly, though it does vary a bit depending on where I am. It is almost instantaneous when at work (urban area), but at home (a bit more out in the sticks) it takes up to a minute at times. I find that if I set it looking for satellites whilst still getting trainers on etc then it doesn't delay things.

I've not tried out the pace setting function yet, but have used the auto pause which is really handy if you have routes which require you to stop to cross roads etc, if you don't want that to be included in your total run time as it'll "stop the clock" when it detects you have stopped moving and automatically restart when you start running again. It also can be set up to bleep at each mile, or when you achieve new PB distances or pace.

Syncing the runs to the Garmin website is really easy, and once done gives you really good information about the runs you have done, even down to including approximate weather conditions for the area when you were running! The unit comes with a USB charger, so I have been syncing it whilst leaving it on charge - it will only store ten runs before overwriting them so if you're a regular runner, or particularly bothered about having every run recorded you probably need to get into a routine of uploading them. You can get an adaptor to plug the USB into a mains socket if required, but I'm sure an iphone mains charger or similar would do the trick.

My other half has a top-of-the-range Garmin watch and this appears to be equal in terms of accuracy, and is probably actually a bit quicker in finding the satellites. Obviously it's not got all the fancy bells and whistles on that some of the higher models have, but it does all I wanted it to and can't imagine needing any extra functionality.

It's a good looking watch, and is small enough to wear when not running and very lightweight. Apparently it's water resistant - mine has been in the shower and was fine. All in all I'm very happy with it, and the price on Amazon (for the green version) was the cheapest I'd found.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good gear, 8 Jan. 2015
S J Buck (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I've had mine for about 5 months now and am most impressed. The time I used to spend working out how far I should run and at what pace I should be running is now simplified, as the Garmin tells me everything I need to know.
Sure its quite basic by some standards, but I find it very accurate, and its pace measurement is very useful. Where I live it picks up the satelitte signal with about a minute or so, depending on the weather conditions. This is fine with me as it means I get to walk a little at the start which is always useful as a warm up.

The battery life is not good enough for ultra-marathons and even fully charged I'm not sure it would do a marathons. But since I've had the watch the most I've run is 10 miles. In May I'm doing an ultra and may take it along to see how long the battery will last. I'll post an update if I do.

Syncing it with the Garmin site on-line is fairly straightforward and this provides you with more information than the watch provides. Such as your route (on a map) etc.

All in all I'm very happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I highly recommend this product, 28 Dec. 2014
This watch helps motivate me on my runs. It shows the time and distance whilst running but when you finish your run it shows Time, Pace, Calories burnt and distance you ran, with opportunity to save it. When you first use the GPS it takes a few minutes to locate you. You can also use it as a normal watch.

I highly recommend this product, well worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple but effective. Just lacking Bluetooth connectivity, 28 Jun. 2014
Simple but effective. Just lacking Bluetooth connectivity

Easy to use, not over complicated. Good value in comparison to the more expensive models

2.0 out of 5 stars slow to pick up GPS, 7 Nov. 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Do you really need anything better?, 22 Aug. 2014
Owned watch for two years. No other watches to compare to. Would buy again.

1. Quite a few reviews complain about the time it takes to acquire a GPS signal. In my experience it's no quicker and no slower than other GPS devices (such as cameras, whether cheap or expensive). It seems to be quicker when (1) you used it the day before (2) you use it from the place at which you stopped using it (3) you're standing in wide open fields ... But, whether you've used it recently or not, whether you're in a city or not, if you put it in a window and set it to get a lock, it'll get one within by the time you've changed into running gear. We've never had it lose a signal, once found.

2. It's accurate. We've been using ours for 2 years, and -- running or cycling -- it maps to paths and roads very well indeed. And Garmin connect (the place where you upload the information too) works well. It's nice to have all the runs recorded, and it points out PBs etc. (You can see other peoples runs and so on, if you want, or integrate the exercise into a diet app, etc.) In fact, it's quite useful to use this as a tracker, if you're on holiday somewhere.

2b. It seems accurate for speed, too. You can set it to the coach you to the pace you want -- fall a little behind and it tells you, get ahead and it tells you. This is really helpful. In a city, though, you sometimes can miss the 'beeps'.

3. It's easy to read the display, and the choices of displays are good, and the buttons are well thought out. Basically, this is a really well thought out watch. It's a decent size, too.

4. One of the reviews here says the watch is more water-resistant than water-proof. We've been thinking it was water-proof to a reasonable depth, and have been swimming and showering with the watch on. No problems so far, at all.

5. It's fine to use as an everyday watch -- and lasts a couple of weeks. We prefer it to our Casio, because the numbers are bigger.

6. The charging cradle is also the usb port. It's really well designed.

7. Things which could be better. If it could last for something more like 7 than 5 hours, that would be good. The watch has run out on some long cycling days. If the warning 'beeps' were a bit louder, that would be good, too. Other than that, it's hard to think of improvements. Really a pretty ideal watch which does the basics really well.

There's a good online review here: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/08/garmin-forerunner-watch.html.

Do you really need anything better? Maybe if you want to monitor your heart rate while running, or your cadence on a bicycle.