5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent VA panel monitor
To put this in perspective:

- there are three types of monitor panels, TN, IPS and VA. Because all panels need light from behind, black is a very problematic colour to display (well, black is not a colour, right?)
Published 10 months ago by Maximus

3.0 out of 5 stars ok but colours are poor
text quality is good but colours are quite washed out, I have tried various settings but it doesnt seem to get any better
Published 8 months ago by Phil J

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent VA panel monitor, 22 Sep 2013
Maximus (Sunderland, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BenQ GW2760HS 27-inch LED Monitor (3000:1, 300 cd/m2, 1920 x 1080, 4 ms) (Accessory)
To put this in perspective:

- TN panels: cheapest and you probably already have one in your home, office or laptop. They have good response times (2 - 5 ms) so are usually good for gaming, but are very bad at colour reproduction and gamma shifting and viewing angles (colours change when you look at them even from a slightly different angle)
- IPS panels: very expensive, excellent colour reproduction and viewing angles, can reproduce colours using between 6 and 10 bit. Usually all are produced by LG. The cheaper 6 bit, while still better then TN panels, are not that impressive. A bit on the slow side (response times > 8ms usually). True professional monitors will use 10 bit panels and cost about 1000 (search for Eizo).
- VA: medium to high price, usually 8 bit colour reproduction which is very good, best contrast and black levels. Eizo actually did use VA panels in one of their very expensive monitors. Until recently, they were slow. This BenQ claims to have a 4ms response time, so very fast.

I own two other monitors, a 27" IPS and a 25" TN. This allowed me to compare this one side by side in real life with all other technologies.

I also had another VA, a 24" older model Benq. I returned that one because although the image quality was absolutely incredible (as in good), I found it too slow. Since then, I kept hoping a faster VA panel would come on the market.

When this one appeared, claiming to be the fastest VA and with zero flicker, I jumped on it.

The good:
- In the box, there is a HDMI cable, finally, no more useless D-SUB cables.
- Has integrated speakers, for me this has always been important, as it allows me to have more space on my desk.
- Flicker free: must be good, but cannot say I noticed a huge improvement there, although I have very sensitive eyes.
- Thin frame, makes it look about the same size as my older 25" monitor.
- Good image quality, with good black levels.
- although I was very worried I'll find it to be slow, it is actually fast. I am not going to return this one!
- I can work on it comfortably even in direct sunlight !

The not so good:
- The speakers are only 2 x 1W. However, I knew what to expect there, and I still think all monitors should have them since the HDMI carries sound.
- Some noises can be heard on different stages and resolution changes. Very discreet, I am only mentioning them because I am very hard to please. The same applies for a lot of other monitors so not a biggy.
- Even at lowest brightness setting, it is still a bit brighter than my other monitors, so not recommended to work on a dark room, however, no reason to work in a dark room anyway.

All in all, I would recommend this monitor. Having a true 8 bit panel, VA and flicker free, and speedy enough, must be impressive. You need to install the driver from the disc, and play with calibration and ClearType settings in Windows (Win 7 in my case) to get the best image.

I work as a web developer, programming and I am always looking for ways to keep my eyes strain-free. I cannot say I see a huge difference, but I do like it so far. If you find a better monitor for your eyes, let me know please!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, both literally and figuratively!, 27 Dec 2013
I really liked my old Xerox glass-fronted 17" flat screen monitor, but it was awkward using some of my applications with such a small screen width, and so eventually I thought it was time to buy a wider monitor. I noted a particularly glowing comment about this model in PC Advisor magazine, so looked up reviews of it, and found them generally very enthusiastic about the quality for the price - and so I made my purchase.

I'm pleased to report that I too am amazed at the quality. The big contrast range claimed for it is not just a figure in the advertising blurb; it jumped out at me as soon as I had it up and running - together with its great brightness, which makes sense of the very wide tone range. It was so bright, indeed, that, despite my preferring a good bright clear image, I had to give its brightness a 50% reduction - and it was still distinctly brighter than my old monitor, and I thus needed less shielding from bright daylight and sunlight while using it.

Some reviewers have carped a little about this model's resolution, which looks to be more normal for 24" monitors. However, for me the resolution not being as high as it might be for this size is something of an advantage, because that means that everything on-screen looks a little larger than otherwise - so, in particular, normal to small text is easier for me to read than it would have been otherwise. The down-side of that, however, is that the pixels are naturally a little larger, and I can clearly see the pixel pattern on lighter even tones, which is a bit unpleasant, at least for me. I still get a reasonable number of extra pixels, particularly in the width, as compared with my old 1280x1024px monitor, and it gives me just the right amount of 'elbow room' for using my various applications.

I haven't been using the built-in speakers, because I want better sound quality than one could expect from speakers in a computer monitor, so I continue to use my external pair of speakers.

Inevitably there were a couple of annoyances - the initial and quite stressful one being, that no instructions were included, apart from a very bare-bones brief set of notes for just assembling the monitor on its stand, which then finishes by telling you the rather obvious 'connect to computer' and 'connect to the power socket' and 'switch on'. Nothing is said about what you might need to do to set it up once it is switched on!

That did matter, because, upon first switching on, the monitor was on sulkies and just morosely showed a little note that it wasn't connected to the computer. Nothing I could do changed that, and I was then bracing myself to return the monitor as faulty - but I still had a gut feeling that there was something simple that I needed to do in order to make the monitor work. Fortunately I e-mailed BenQ support, and I got a reasonably quick response suggesting that I probably just needed to tell the monitor which type of input to use, and how to go into the Settings and set that, That solved it - the people who designed the monitor just had to have had a mental block and do something silly somewhere, so the monitor does not auto-detect what sort of connection is being used; you have to enter its well concealed and quite fiddly settings in order to set the appropriate input type, and you're not told about that in the supplied 'quick start' instructions. Once I'd set input type to HDMI, all worked fine.

- Well, except that initially I was bewildered at the very poor image sharpness, with horrible edge effects that made text on even mid-tones often very difficult to read and also scrambled all the finer details of photos. I guessed that this would not be a genuine fault in the monitor but instead an extremely stupid default setting - particularly as the edge effects looked like very overdone 'sharpness' correction in photo-editing programs. So, was there a 'sharpness' control in the Settings? - I searched, and by gum, I found it! Yes, when I greatly reduced the 'sharpness' setting, whose higher reaches actually make everything UNsharp because of those edge effects, I got a beautifully clear and sharp display.

So, although I happily give five stars to the monitor, I also give a little slap on the wrist to BenQ for a couple of silly and unnecessary initial annoyances.

5.0 out of 5 stars great BenQ monitor, 3 Feb 2014
Bought this based on a glowing macworld review - couldn't initially make up my mind over this and a couple of other monitors (which are probably just as good...). I'm a designer and although obviously this is never going to match a calibrated screen four times the price, it's pretty darn amazing for the cost. One word of caution, if like me you're using a Mac, don't bother with the Apple Monitor set-up routine as you'll be wondering if you bought the right monitor, it just doesn't work well with this one. Instead do a web search for the ICC profile that matches the monitor, download it and use that in the monitor profile, then all will be good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Monitor, 25 Jun 2014
S. Spencer - See all my reviews
Firstly out of the box this monitor looks incredible.. Factory settings are good but needed slight tweaking to get colours and brightness just right, this however took no time at all and consisted of dropping the brightness and changing most of the settings to user as some of the presets were just slightly off. All in all it didn't take much time at all.

I was a little apprehensive of getting a 27" monitor as some say it's too big; I sit fairly close to the monitor and have had no issue and found the size perfect..

I primarily game and watch movies on this monitor. Blacks are a deep black and the colours are bright and vivid.. As far as gaming is concerned I play a mixture of FPS, RPG among others and have not noticed any lag or shadowing whatsoever.

Couldn't recommend this monitor enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars I got 3!!, 19 Jan 2014
I got three in front of me, perfect for surround gaming and productivity, you'll need a large desk for this set up though...

Nice viewing angles (not perfect but more than good enough)

Inky blacks, great image quality....

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Screen, 13 Jan 2014
Perfect sized screen.
Flicker free and easy on the eyes to watch all day.
Simple to install, change settings and good speakers for a monitor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 15 May 2014
I am delighted with this monitor. I bought it for home use where I will be using it for gaming, internet, e-mail and office work.

At work (graphic design company) I have an LG 27EA83 27-inch IPS LED Monitor which was 3 times the price.

The BenQ is superb value and perfect for large screen gaming. It needed a little adjustment as out of the box the back-light is a bit harsh. It's glossy, slim and sleek. You wouldn't know it was a budget priced monitor. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars First |Class Monitor at an excellent price, 9 Jan 2014
The screen is very good and there are some excellent points. Connection was easy and the displays available are all that a normal user would require. I upgraded to the wide screen format from my old monitor some 8 years old and the transition was very noticeable. Would recommend the product and to date have found no negatives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Benq GW2769 Widescreen Monitor, 30 Aug 2013
Mr. Michael Williams (Aberdeenshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
A really good monitor at a really affordable price. I don't need any fancy gimmicks like landscape/portrait adjustment, so this model is just fine. The picture quality and colour rendering are superb.The 27ins size wide screen lets me see what i'm doing - without squinting!!
Delivery was prompt and packaging was fine. No problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars BenQ GW2760HM, 15 May 2014
I purchased this monitor off Box.co.uk for 159.99, a bargain at the time (still is imho) and it has been working flawlessly ever since I bought it... The only thing that bothered me were the stock colour/brightness settings which I amended myself by playing around with the on-screen menu- which by the by is very user friendly. Although being a techie, I would of liked a challenge ;) On the whole it's a great monitor for the price, premium VA panel (albeit the stand is a little flimsy) with a budget price what more could you possibly want? :D If you have any questions about this monitor, feel free to ask.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›