4.0 out of 5 stars Value for Money
Published on 18 Feb. 2012 by Laya

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed reviews for this bag
Recently bought this rucksack for going on a caving expedition and needed a lightweight bag as all caving stuff is heavy so tight on the weight allowance.

Published on 2 July 2012 by Ellie

4.0 out of 5 stars Value for Money, 18 Feb. 2012
I travelled with this Backpack around Thailand and I thought it worked really really well! I was travelling for a month, I went trekking in the Jungle with it and it was very faithful. Some of the other people I was travelling with had spent a lot of money on their backpacks and they had lots of problems. I didn't have any problems with the straps, no discomfort and no tears. One of the key features is that its 85 litres which means you can fit quite a bit in there!!! I didn't give it 5 stars because a couple of the zips broke and there wasn't a protective cover. However for the price it is definitely a value for money. I would recommend it for short hiking trips maybe not long backpacking expeditions... Overall definitely a good buy!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed reviews for this bag, 2 July 2012

It is very light, and a good cost. The side pockets fit lots in. However, it is not made of the best material. It is waterproof, but because it is thin material it is easy to get small holes. I had my helmet in the top on the way out and even though it isn't at all sharp, just the pressure of it being against the material made a small hole in it. Also, the stitching on the base which takes the most pressure when things are in there is also starting to come away.

The straps are also very basic to save on the weight, which means they aren't the most comfortable. When buckled up the hip strap did not take any of the weight of the bag off my shoulders, so if you are carrying a heavy bag it is not the most comfortable to carry.

This is a good bag if you are short of weight and won't be carrying it everyday with lots of heavy stuff in. But if you are using it everyday (as I was carrying heavy caving stuff across hills each day) then it gets worn very quickly and isn't comfortable to carry. I was away for 2 weeks and it shows major signs of stress. One of the shoulder straps is starting to rip, seams are starting to come away and some holes in it. But this is also probably due to the weight I had in it, if you are only carrying clothes and lightweight stuff around it might fare better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Survived Reading festival with this, 26 Sept. 2013
Bought this as a bag to store everything I needed for my first trip to Reading festival. It holds loads! Great product.

3.0 out of 5 stars Festival Bag, 18 Jun. 2014
I bought this bag to take to a festival, and yes you can fit loads in, but the the straps are rubbish around you waist and back, they offer no support, so is a killer to wear when weighed down with festival essentials such as booze! I wouldn't use this to go travelling, will invest in a decent bag... or a mule.

1.0 out of 5 stars Strap broke on first day of use, 10 Jun. 2013
My son flew to America today for 3 months with his kit packed into his brand new 120l rucksack and only weighing 20 kilograms. Unforntunatley when collecting his rucksack in JFK airport as he put it on his back and the shoulder strap snapped. A great started to his adventure?.

1.0 out of 5 stars Flimsy, 1 July 2014
I took this to Glastonbury last week and whilst standing in the queue one of the straps broke. 3 zip pulls broke over a couple of days too. Whilst it is inexpensive it isn't fit for purpose and became an uncomfortable burden which I regretted buying - steer clear.

5.0 out of 5 stars So cheap but HUGE bag and lasted Vietnam, 3 April 2014
Mrs. A. Dobson (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This saw some serious miles as we toured Vietnam, no zip problems or any others noted in previous reviews. Bought as a throw away item afterwards but still in perfect condition so will hold onto it

3.0 out of 5 stars Too flimsy for a 120 litre pack, 15 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Karabars Large 120 Litres Travel Backpack - 3 Years Warranty! (Sports)
This backpack is fairly lightweight. This is ok if you don’t need a robust pack but I wouldn’t trust it for long.

My main issue is the shoulder straps. You can assume that a fully filled 120 litre pack is going to be heavy so would have very good shoulder straps. These have virtually no padding at all so when fully loaded my thoughts about whether or not the flimsy connectors would give way were distracted by the pain in my shoulders. Use the hip belt? I tried. The description says that the pack has a ‘Padded adjustable hip belt’. Look at the side view picture; apart from a short, barely padded piece of material the majority of the hip belt is a thin strap.

In short, I went back to the pack I’ve been using for the past decade or so. It had some honest wear and tear damage to a strap but that was easily repaired. I wish I had done that in the first place.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value rucksack, ideal for festivals / camping, 7 Mar. 2012
I. M. Rees (Grantham, England) - See all my reviews
I ordered this rucksack based on its price, having already fallen in love with the Vango Freedom 80+20, which is £45 more expensive (the latter chosen because it was the closest fit to my old rucksack, now 25 years old and looking tatty despite still being serviceable); I have to say that this product impressed me and I will be using it at Download in June, although for other festivals I may return to my old bag or try the Vango if my misgivings prove well-founded.

The advantages of this bag are that it has been well designed, with five external pockets (2 side, 2 back - one a zipped compartment on the front of the other and one large bottom pocket; there are also two bottom straps, suitable for strapping on a tent or sleeping bag (the bottom pocket will accommodate a sleeping bag) and two loops for other external accessories. The bag, when empty, is compact and lightweight, with shoulder, abdominal and chest straps for increased comfort. All zips and openings have a flap to prevent water entering and the lining seems as though it will be water resistant. Inside, the capacity is deceptively large and it should carry enough for most weekend trips, or probably longer.

For me, the disadvantages are that there is no internal frame to assist the product in retaining its shape whilst being carried and the padding on the straps is negligeable - this may make it uncomfortable when fully laden. There is no airtex layer at body contact points, which makes perspiration more likely when wearing the pack. Also, I have a personal preference for zip-around backpacks and this is a top loader, although it does have two small airholes in the base to prevent air being trapped when being stuffed. Whilst this rucksack is very practical, I doubt that it will have the durability of my old one (although at 50 years old, I don't foresee needing a rucksack in 25 years' time!).

For anyone on a budget, this rucksack offers (in my opinion) unbeatable value for money and should be suitable for all but the hardiest of trekkers, but if money is no object, I would recommend the Vango (sadly not available on Amazon) which, although three times the price of this bag, is half the price of a comparably-sized Berghaus. I shall expect to see a few of these at this year's festivals, especially among students and others with low disposable incomes.

There are better rucksacks (hence the 4 stars, I'd give it 5 for value) but they are so much more expensive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the Price, 8 Sept. 2012
Bought this for Leeds festival and it was perfect and was also delivered promptly! I am not a light packer but it managed to hold everything and survived the weekend! Don't know if it would trust it for a long trek but for short trips its perfect, does exactly what it is supposed to and is a bargin price.