5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book.
I am a trainee secondary school teacher who had no ideas on how to differentiate, particularly in a top set where everyone appeared to be of a similar ability.
The book gave me some great practical advice and some fab ideas on how to make differentiation fit in my lessons when I am at the stage where I have so much else to think about.
Published 16 months ago by Becky210

3.0 out of 5 stars Simple, straightforward and useful
A good introduction and helpful guide to differentiation of children (into different needs, desires, skills and other categories) within the school classroom environment. Quickish read (less than three hours).
Published 21 months ago by GregFenn

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book., 23 Nov. 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Another jam-packed must-have!, 22 Feb. 2014
S. Mellor "Bookmark" (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Seven T's of Practical Differentiation (The Alphabet Sevens Series) (Kindle Edition)
I have long been a fan of Sue Cowley and her straight-talking style. This book really didn't disappoint - while I knew the basics and have always used differentiation in my teaching, this book served as a great reminder of some techniques that I had forgotten about, as well as introducing me to new possibilities also. Definitely worth a read if you feel like you are starting to stagnate in your teaching, or just need a quick refresher as to some of the endless possibilities for differentiation in the classroom.

3.0 out of 5 stars Simple, straightforward and useful, 11 Jun. 2013

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing and of limited use., 20 Jan. 2015
Having been teaching for over 27 years, and a successful deputy head teacher, I bought this book as a resource to share with the NQTs that I am currently mentoring. I was most disappointed with the content of several of the chapters. E.g. much of the research from the Assessment Reform Group and others shows that learning objectives should be common to all students, and that having too many objectives becomes unmanageable, but the chapter on targets suggests several learning objectives. I was also surprised to see an example of a learning objective given that was more about completion of the task rather than transferrable learning. There was also some muddling up about the function of success criteria in this chapter which is also at odds with current research.
The sections on time and on thinking skills didn't really address differentiation, but just how teachers should plan these aspects with all students in mind.
The section on thinking skills was quite weak, with no reference to the use of specific thinking skills tools. I got excited at the end of the last chapter when I saw graphics" as a subheading, but again was disappointed to find that it wasn't actually talking about the use of graphic organisers to support differentiation, but merely about the use of photos.
Unfortunately I will not be sharing this book with my NQTs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to follow and good ideas, 9 Feb. 2014
S. M. Robinson (UK) - See all my reviews
Sue has produced yet another book worth reading.
Easy to use and simple to follow ideas.
Worth flagging up at dept meeting.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good. Worth reading., 17 Feb. 2014
I liked the practical strategies the book offers.. Especially the More Able & Talented stretch & challenge ideas included. Worth reading

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous book, 11 Feb. 2014
Well written
Easy to understand
Practical
Realistic
Will be using guidance in p2 class asap
Differentiation here I come.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 20 Oct. 2013
We have a mini-inspection this week, and I wanted some fresh ideas for differentiation with my Y3 class! This certainly provided them.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can do it, 25 July 2013
too many children are turned off education because they 'can't do the work' this book changes that by promoting differentiation

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb., 20 Dec. 2013
Some really useful tips to make differentiation easy without making several different activities all the time! For the price a very valuable purchase.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›