4.3 out of 5 stars2,124
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.48

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 13 April 2013
Just outside the small village of Little Melham a 14 year old girl, running away from her pursuer is hit by a car on 'the back road', a road that is mainly used by locals. The driver doesn't stop and at a dinner party the following night it becomes clear that a number of the guests have something to hide.

This book drew me in from the opening pages, its many characters, twists and red herrings had me changing my mind about the characters, what they'd been up to on the night in question and who was guilty of what right to the end.

This author is really good at keeping the intrigue and suspense going by holding back information and releasing snippets bit by bit. I like her style of writing and find it flows well.

Really enjoyed this book and hope it won't be too long before the author releases her next one
11 comment|140 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Having really enjoyed Rachel Abbott's first book Only the Innocent I was keen to see what she would serve up next. The Back Road didn't disappoint. This is a book of many strands, one of which is the relationship between Ellie Saunders and her younger sister Leo. Leo has come to visit Ellie in her newly renovated house, the house where the girls were bought up with a missing father and cruel mother. Ellie wants to find out where their father is but his relationship with Leo has left her unable to trust men and she would rather leave the past behind.

The other strand centres on the village of Little Melham. This is a village with a number of secrets at its heart. When Abbie is found by the side of the road after a hit and run accident it appears that quite a large proportion of the inhabitants weren't where they said they were.

There was plenty to keep the me entertained during this 313 page book, with affairs and secrets buried along with a spate of anonymous texts, I raced on to find out what would crawl out of the woodwork next! This book has a great plot and manages not to lose its way as the strands wind their way around each other and there were a good number of blind alleys to fool the reader. The ending was satisfying, although for once I had managed to work out who the perpetrator was this didn't take any of the enjoyment away for me. A satisfying read.
on 29 May 2013
This is one of the best books I have ever read. The characters are so interwoven and the story line weave in and out of their lives with issues that keep the reader in suspense to the end. Brilliantly written, easy to read, and characters that really live. Cant wait to read more from Rachel Abbot.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 19 March 2013
Rachel Abbott's second thriller tells us the story of two half-sisters, Ellie and Leo, who have survived a difficult childhood. Ellie and her husband have restored the family home, inherited by Ellie and scene of childhood fears for Leo. Ellie is receiving phone calls and is being `stalked' and subjected to blackmail. A young girl has been the victim of a hit and run driver on the Back Road and Ellie is one of the nursing team looking after her. Several couples and individuals who come together for a housewarming at the newly renovated house are bound together in the aftermath of the accident.

The story is an exciting and complex one, where past and present echo and reflect one another. Here and there a mis-direct made me feel I knew what was happening but in a Rachel Abbott story there's more there than immediately obvious. This is a tightly written psychological thriller, very nicely paced, and I enjoyed it very much. My attention was caught and kept by the intrigues of the people in the village. I wasn't able to guess the full implications until close to the end. It seems to me that some of these characters might appear again in further works by Rachel Abbott, as their story and their possibilities haven't been exhausted. Here's hoping!

I received a review copy of this book pre-publication.
on 28 March 2013
I loved Rachel Abbott's first book, and could not wait to read her eagerly awaited second novel. I have followed her journey from the beginning and she is a true inspiration to us Indie authors. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, down to the cover art and title name. It is well presented and edited and the story is engaging and infuriating!

The book's central characters, half sisters Ellie and Leo, are as different as night and day and this book follows them, their family and friends as an incident threatens to uncover things best left alone, and everyone seems to have a secret. It reads like a murder mystery, and every snippet left me screaming to find out what their secrets were. The characters are well written, and their layers are peeled chapter by teasing chapter. This is what Rachel Abbott does best, she has a real insight into the behaviour of people, and this really makes the book brilliant. I was desperate to find out the ending and the whole thing was a pleasure to read. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Rachel Dove
on 13 May 2014
This is the second book of this author. Having read the first book I thought it was a great book and thoroughly enjoyed it, having read the negative comments of this book I read it with an open mind . Having now read it i must admit I kind of agree, but not enough to give it a 1 or 2 star. There is no doubt that this author is the queen of a good plot, and when reading it you don't know what's coming next, but this book dragged on and on , and should have been cut down by a third. Having said that I still thought it was an enjoyable read, and doesn't put me off reading her next book, just a few too many characters and too much going on at the same time , which made it confusing at times.
on 21 March 2014
I'm not sure whether this book is supposed to be a psychological thriller or a murder mystery. It's the story of two sisters, one feisty and the other a bit soppy. To be honest, I really didn't care what happened to either of them. Somehow neither of them are very engaging and I found both of them annoying in different ways. Still, the story is good and quite well-written and I didn't guess 'who dun it!' The ending is a little disappointing. I was hoping it would have more 'bite'. Still, this book is definitely worth a read and I will probably try another book by this author.
on 14 May 2013
Couldn't put this book down. A real page turner. Well worth a read, plenty twists and turns! Very well written :)
on 27 May 2013
It's a long time since I have read anything that I genuinely could not put down, but Rachel Abbott's The Back Road was just such a book. More twists and turns than a corkscrew, the interplay between the characters was well crafted and absorbing and I simply had to keep reading until the end.

Turning over the lives of the characters, on the surface middle class and respectable, but full of secrets and shadows underneath, the reader learns gradually of how each of them fit in to the lynch pin of the story, the hit and run accident where a young woman is almost killed on a quiet road outside a small village.

Leo and Ellie, the two sisters at the centre of the story are very believable, particularly Ellie - whose internal struggles to keep her beloved family together seems to be unravelling before her eyes. My one small complaint is that she writes the "good" characters in the story very well indeed - the villains a little less so, particularly the obnoxious Gary, who is truly horrible, but not totally truly believable. That is a small moan however, overall the book is a terrific, well paced read, and I enjoyed it very much. I should also say that the kindle version is well formatted without the usual horrible character drop out and gibberish words - well worth buying.
on 5 September 2013
The book starts off well and gets you interested but the plot is slow to develop and annoying getting small and often misleading clues on the outcome of the mystery. The dialogue between the characters is mundane and at times unbelievable. I had to apply some discipline to persevere to the end
of this book, but I don't think the outcome was worth the time or effort.