5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant router, great bandwidth controls.
This is a review for the TP-Link TD-W8980 N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit ADSL 2.

Bandwidth control

Published 12 months ago by charles snickets

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok. I was hoping it would be better.
I had high hopes. In terms of signal strength is actually worse than my older router. Will now need to reposition in the house and run some cat cables so I get decent network speed.
Published 3 months ago by Mr. A. Horne

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant router, great bandwidth controls., 2 May 2014
This review is from: TP-LINK TD-W8980 N600 Wireless Gigabit ADSL2+ Modem Router for Phone Line Connections (Dual Band, 2 USB Ports for Storage Sharing, Media/Print Server) (Personal Computers)

Bandwidth control

The main reason I bought this router was because of the bandwidth controls that come with the router. I have Issues with my brother and other siblings hogging all the bandwidth with constant downloading and video streaming, and I had problems with gaming lag and disconnections since I play MMO games that use very little bandwidth - so I thought I would give a new router a go since QoS(Quality of service) settings on my old netgear dual band router was pretty inadequate.
First I had a look for free firmware alternatives (tomato, DD-WRT) that add bandwidth control to cheaper routers, it turns out very few routers support this firmware, and ADSL(for people with BT lines) is only supported with maybe 1 or 2 routers that are hugely expensive anyway.

This router has great bandwidth control. If you add their IP information into the router, or yours, it will allow you to set a certain amount per pc. I have a 3 mb/s connection so I reserve about 300kb/s of the download bandwidth, and 50 kb's upload for myself, and put a limit of 1500 kb/s download on my brothers PC. now he can download comfortably but not hog the bandwidth, and I can play without having to resort to banging on his door begging for him to stop or blocking his connection.
The router also gives you the option to bind an IP address to a devices MAC address, so you can set up bandwidth control without having to bother setting up static IP addresses(which is fairly simple, easy to find out with a google search). this also works with devices like ipads and phones, where you can find out the MAC address through the settings normally. With this I was able to give my mum a good chunk of the bandwidth too so she can watch youtube videos on her ipad without having to moan about people downloading.
The controls also give you an option to prioritize certain traffic - like a PC streaming from NETFLIX, you can set it to 1 in order to give it a higher priority, I'm not sure how much of a difference this makes though.

Signal

Before I was using a netgear dual band 300mb/s router with 5 internal antennas, which gave a nice 4-5bars connection most days. I use a netgear adapter which tells me the mb/s connection of the wireless. with netgear I was getting about 50-100mb/s connection. With This router I now get 243 mb/s, which is a significant improvement. My family members tell me that they also get better signal now than before, going from 2-3 bars to 4-5. I think the difference is mainly because the external antenna are much stronger than the internal ones of the netgear router, and I think that both 2.4ghz and 5ghz travel at 300mb/s makes a difference too.
Since I do online gaming this was pretty important and why I opted for an extra £30 for dual band and I was not disappointed.

Looks
Not the prettiest router in the shop but I don't really care too much as long as it works. I don't think it looks bad either, it has a nice sleek shiny look and the interface on the front is not too difficult to understand. My mum commented that it looks like an alien, but its an alien that gives a nice signal, so like I said i don't mind.

Additional comments
The only gripe I have with this router is that the cables provided are very short. but this is an issue that you can remedy easily by buying longer ones at not a great deal of expense if required.

Gone are all the lag issues. prob THE BEST £70 I ever spent. Have had it for about a month now we no issues at all. If you have a BT line and want bandwidth controls this is the router for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic product, 17 May 2014
I bought this product a few weeks ago and have been using it since.

I'm using a QNAP NAS box downstairs, and have an office upstairs, with CAT6 fiber optic between the 2.....so I wanted the speed of my Router to be able to keep up with the Gigabit speeds I have internal to my home network. Plus, the wireless speed of this router is excellent for streaming in general.

The setup for this product was so easy, it was fantastic. I made sure to download the latest firmware for the product in advance and updated it immediately after plugging it in. I do this with all new hardware.

Absolutely no complaints, this little router is screaming along. It's the perfect ADSL 2+ router that also supports Gigabit speeds.

PS: To some of the people who have given bad reviews (one guy in particular who bought the router thinking it would work on BT Infinity....?!?!) this is an ADSL 2+ Router. It is not a Fiber speed router. You cannot use this router on a Fiber Optic speed network. If it even works at all, it will cap your speed at 24Mb down. Please...please....look at what you're buying before you write reviews saying it doesn't do what it's supposed to!

5.0 out of 5 stars WORKS GREAT ON BT BROADBAND, 7 Aug. 2014
Cesar Ponce - See all my reviews
Bought this to replace my homehub 3. I've only been using it for one day since this review but here's how I set mine up:

Use the CD > Follow the steps > Select your country then BT as your provider > username "bthomehubATbtbroadbandDOTcom" (replace the AT with @ and DOT with .). The password is "bt". (THANKS E.CLARK FROM OTHER REVIEW) > Let it test your connection then you should be good to go. I only did this because the web setup didn't provide the VPI and VCI settings but the CD setup did.

Now that your connected then you can go into the router through the IP address (192.168.1.1 - admin, admin) and make any changes you need. I have a lot of devices so I matched the SSID and passcode from the Homehub 3 and everything connected back up. I'll move my gaming rid and HD streaming devices to the 5GHz band later.

4.0 out of 5 stars TP Link TD-W8980 N600 modem router, 1 May 2014
Seems to be absolutely fine and has a good range and seemingly no drop outs as yet.I do feel the design could allow it to stand upright so that air gets to all sides as it sits only on a desk using quite a lot of space and restricted air access. It will hang from a wall which is not always an option and anyway air is still restricted in much the same way. With luck this will not cause the overheating that a modem of similar design suffered.Setting up is easy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A breeze of fresh air!, 18 April 2014
A breeze of fresh air!......Simple to set up, simple to understand instructions and it just works the way it should and is giving a lot more faster access to my broadband provider. Unlike the Belkin piece of junk I had before which was completely useless........Recommended, if only because of the ease of set up, your granny could sort this one out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Darth Vader of Routers, 18 May 2014
I decided on this router after coming to the realisation that my old router wasn't up to the job of providing me with a great and constant wifi signal around the home.
It is NOT discreet (hence the Darth Vader tag) but you know what it is and it does what it does.....Very well. Happy customer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant AND DOES WORK WITH BT INFINITY AT FULL SPEED (Steady 8.1Mb Downstream for me), 1 Aug. 2014
Absolutely amazing bit of kit! I was having issues with my BT Homehub (I am an infinity user) and figured I wanted rid of it any way for something with N600 or 802.11AC this doesn't have 802.11AC but the N600 is more than enough really. I have seen a steady improvement in my connections relaiblity and performance since getting this bad lad involved.

To all those saying that this will not work with BT Infinity / Fibre you are in correct it does work and for those saying "It's not a fibre router so it wont get fibre speeds" - You clearly do not know what you are talking about. You don't have a fibre connection to your door... Your bottle neck is not going to be this router trust me....

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressed, 10 Oct. 2014
I've never used a "third party modem/router" before and have always stuck with the one supplied with my ISP. I thought having Sky's newest "super-dooper" Hub would mean I'd have no problems. However, after buying a NAS - I couldn't figure out the videos I was streaming from it to XBMC would suddenly stop. I eventually tracked down that the Sky Hub would start disconnecting devices (abit breify) once 6 or 7 devices were connected to the router (even wired connections!!).

After a bit of research, I took the plunge and ordered this router modem in the hope it would resolve the problem - knowing I could return it to Amazon if it didn't.

I read that in order to connect to Sky Broadband, you must get a username and password from Sky (this is not the same as your billing). I tried contacting Sky for this, but they (as expected) were useless. Luckily, there is a great guide on how to extract the username and password from the Sky Hub using Wireshark on Youtube/SkyUser forum. Once I had this I was away and set up first time.

Had no issues at all with the router - it works perfectly. Had not a single issue of devices disconnecting; and I'm sure that my download speed via WiFi has improved slightly.

Have not tested out some of the other functions such as media or printer sharing.

Very, very impressed. If you are on Sky Broadband (through the phoneline and not fibre) and having issues, then definately look into this. I can confirm as a Sky BB customer that this does work!

If I was to suggest a problem with the router, then it would only be it's size. It is considerably bigger than I was expecting!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a device that works!, 8 April 2015
Rastus (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this to replace my BT home hub 3 and home hub 5 and I couldn't be more pleased. The HH3 had a tendency to drop its internet throughput to around 1-2 Mbs for no reason, whilst the HH5 would stop working for no reason. Both devices required constant rebooting to get them working at least once a day. Now, after fitting the N600, I've had no problems at all. One of the main gripes that I had with the HH3 was that streaming video and audio would sometimes drop and then restart again, when using wireless. However, today it hasn't done that once. This router has overcome so many quirks that I was experiencing with the HH3.
1) I can connect via 5Ghz using my BT dongle and my connect speed is 220Mhz, whereas it fluctuated between 76-130Mhz before.
2) I do not get "cannot connect to server" messages from apps on my phone.
3) works straight away out of the box (almost)

The only things to note are to have your broadband password to hand before you start. BT broadband doesn't require a password, but using the quick setup option required one, so exit out of that and go directly to the WAN setup instead. Here you can configure the details without entering a password.

My only gripes are that the power lead is quite short for a router. Its probably just over a meter long, so have an extension cord handy. And secondly, it broadcasts both SSID's one for 2.4Ghz and one for 5Ghz at the same time. Which means that you have to configure two separate wireless passwords; and to connect, you need to know which speed your device supports. My HH5 only transmitted one SSID, and was able to allow any device to connect at any speed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very satisfactory and seems to have solved my home Wi-Fi problems, 6 Sept. 2014
R. Hayes - See all my reviews
Only had this a few days but I'm pretty pleased with it so far. I bought it because I had been experiencing a lot of dropouts with my old modem router recently and it was starting to get on my nerves. I put it down to the fact I had a lot of gadgets all clamouring for attention and a powerful signal from a Sky Box belonging to one of my neighbours that seemed to knock my connection out when it was turned on - I'd get a message that I had a limited connection from my PC, for example, when my wife still had full internet on her laptop in another room. Whatever, this seems to be sorted now. I've had no dropouts at all (touch wood) since getting this and I'm getting 5 bars showing on my PC in my upstairs office (the router is downstairs) where my old single aerial Netgear only gave it 3.

The only reason I've marked it down from 5 stars is because the installation disc was rubbish (it has the full manual on it but the quick guide comprises of an animation showing you how to plug it in that really is a bit daft) and the manufacturer's web site no longer seems to provide support for this model. That said, setting it up would have been a breeze and the work of moments if I had realised before that, despite having inferred the contrary from the Orange/EE web site, changing your log in password only changes the your account and email password and not the password you need for the modem. Once I twigged that and persuaded Orange to divulge a password I'd not used for years (they wanted to know why I had bought a new modem instead of speaking to them first) I was up and running in minutes.