5.0 out of 5 stars Charming & honest
Published 23 months ago by Kate

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Lighthearted
This isn't my usual type of book but having recently had a baby the subject was relevant to me. I thought it was alright, an easy read, however it was more lighthearted than expected.
Published 13 months ago by Bookworm

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming & honest, 12 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Up the duff without a paddle (Kindle Edition)
As an avid reader there are a number of things I judge a good book on... Firstly, did it make me laugh out loud? Did I believe it & were my reactions to it emotional: did I cry, gasp or delight in the twists and turns? Was it a wrench to put down & when I eventually did, was I still think about what was happening with the characters? And finally, when I closed the book for the last time, did I do it with a little smile and a satisfied sigh?

If you want a book that gives you all of the above, then 'Up the duff without a paddle' is the book for you. It's a charming, funny, tear-inducing & incredibly honest portrayal of new mum-to-be Kate's journey towards motherhood and the many adjustments she must get her head around. I would highly recommend it to all those lovely ladies that want to, or already have, embarked on that amazing journey.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great debut novel, 24 April 2013
G. Dishman - See all my reviews
It's a long time since I went through the roller coaster ride of pregnancy but this book brought it all back and made me laugh. Amy Ransom's triumph is that in her first novel she has managed to capture the full glory of pregnancy, from the unwanted and unwitting bodily changes, to the sometimes unthinking reactions of loved ones and strangers alike. The interplay between husband and wife is very well observed and there is a clever twist in the narrative. I'm hoping it won't be too long before Ransom unveils her next book!

4.0 out of 5 stars pregnancy prose, 17 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Up the duff without a paddle (Kindle Edition)
Revelling in the roller coaster that is first time pregnancy, Ransom invites us into her personal experience of this most life-changing time in a woman's life. The fears, anxieties, emotions and revelations that can take hold of even the most rational person; Kate's tale is certainly one many mothers, expectant and experienced, can relate to.

2.0 out of 5 stars ok, but......, 19 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Up the duff without a paddle (Kindle Edition)
It wsa ok but it just does, nt grab you. As a mother of six, been there , done that and I think it could heve conveyed the experince in a much more positive way.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Lighthearted, 12 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Up the duff without a paddle (Kindle Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good story, even for those who aren't up the duff!, 18 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Up the duff without a paddle (Kindle Edition)
Loved this story, I found it funny and probably how most women find themselves thinking as first time Mums, a nice lighthearted read.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING read., 8 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Up the duff without a paddle (Kindle Edition)
From the beginning this book was so easy to get into and the characters were funny yet true to life.

I cried (which may be my pregnancy hormones) and laughed at this book and will be looking for other work from Amy Ransom.

10/10!

5.0 out of 5 stars Like reliving pregnancy, 4 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Up the duff without a paddle (Kindle Edition)
A beautiful emotional account of becoming a mother. Could not put this book down. Relived so many happy and sad memories.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been so much better, 14 May 2013
This review is from: Up the duff without a paddle (Kindle Edition)
I purchased this book after seeing it promoted via the Net Mums website. I was interested to read a book which promised to explore some of the more taboo emotions associated with pregnancy and motherhood (as not many books do this). However, I was disappointed when I read the book. It is a very lighthearted read and the issues highlighted by the protagonist (Kate) are not explored with any real emotional depth or complexity. I don't think this book has anything new or challenging to say about the diverse emotions associated with motherhood (and pregnancy in particular). I read that the author Amy Ransom suffered a miscarriage and that was the driving force in her publishing this book. She said she was surprised by the darkness that came from experiencing this. I feel she should have used her experience of this more to influence the material in her book. Miscarriage is mentioned towards the end of the book, but again not in any depth or with any emotional punch. The book was just a bit too 'fluffy' for my liking. Not particularly well written and lacking any real substance. If you are after a lighthearted look at how pregnancy might effect a married woman in her thirties with a certain kind of lifestyle then you will enjoy it. I think it could have been so much better.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's all true!!!, 29 April 2013
This review is from: Up the duff without a paddle (Kindle Edition)
Whether it's your first baby or you're a mother of a football team you'll be able to relate to and empathise with the main character in this book.

The Author has clearly used her own experiences to create a believable, witty fictional story with some unexpected twists.

It's a great, quick read that's not going to exhaust the baby brain but might just enrich it!

Up the duff without a paddle