on 10 May 2013
Or.... A mad reunion of characters from most of his works of fiction! Now, I am a mad fan, I'd read whatever he wrote under whatever name he chose to write it. I think the sun shines out of his left ear and onto the pages...,
But ... I really think that you need to have read the other novels first. Yes, there are a few lines of explanation he and there with one character explaining to another which particular form of hell they went through, JT I do think your going to be confused and in the dark without reading them. That said, this is a book about a groups of survivors who are enticed into a haunted house to take part in a study on fear, in which they are all experienced. The offer of a million dollars helps most of them decide to go, and they are then met with scenarios they have experienced previously. Or so they think...
I'm not going into any more detail than that because I will ruin the entire book, I have one thing left to say to Mr Konrath/Kilborn/Kimball.... Where were Jack and Harry?????
on 10 November 2013
What a fantastic idea, to bring back the survivors from the previous novels and put them through absolute hell again....

Only a very special, fiendish and ruthless author could do such a thing.

It's a great story and scary as hell, although certainly not the best work from the author.

It is nevertheless a great book especially for those that are new to the author.
on 17 June 2013
I found this fun to read, mostly since I have read 4 of the 6 relevant texts. After reading this I'll be looking to download the remaining two aswell.
To really enjoy and understand this I would say that you would need to have read at least 2 or 3 of the previous works. I don't feel it would work as a standalone, which is why I've rated it a 4*.
I've enjoyed everything I've read by this author. There are a few grammar and editing issues in places, but not enough to detract from the story or to make it an unpleasant read.
It was interesting to be brought back around to so many familiar characters, to be able to see them all in one setting. I think the idea of the book is brilliant.

The content lives up to expectations; is appropriately gory and limit pushing. Not for the faint hearted.
Slow paced to begin with, but becomming more engrossing towards the middle, with maybe a slight rushed feeling by the end.
Perhaps a little cliche at points with the characters, but not in a detrimental way.

I was disappointed when I reached the end, I'd recommend this, but ONLY if you've read the author's background works required for it, without those, or at least some of them, this could be confusing.
on 25 October 2014
I didn't realise until later on in the book why some of the characters and place names sounded familiar, it's because this book contains a mash up of characters we've met in previous novels, some of which I haven't read or I read a few years ago, which is why it wasn't glaringly obvious from the start.

I didn't find the novel scary at all if I'm honest but I've read so many horror/supernatural books I'm probably desensitised :-) however, I still really enjoyed the story and the fact that the characters start to fight back and hold their own against the terrors they face.

If you're a fan of this author and genre then I think you'll really enjoy this, it's actual better than some of his earlier work.
on 13 October 2013
Loved it,if you have read other books by Kilburn and liked them this is for you read within 3days brilliant
on 9 November 2013
A fun, simple but fairly suspenseful read, with all the ingredients for a satisfying haunted house story. Not as gripping a rollercoaster ride as Afraid but enjoyable.
on 14 December 2013
I had high hopes for this book, it started well with an interesting premise and while it was far from terrible, it didn't quite live up to that early expectation. The story starts with a bunch of people who have all survived terrible experiences (these are from previous books) and all receive visits from mysterious government agents inviting them to take part in a fear study from which they'll receive a million dollars.

This unlikely start is actually the best part of the book, it builds the tension of what is to come nicely. Unfortunately the pacing is a bit off, it takes half of the book to get to the point of the test and then when it does get started it throws it all at you at once.

It switches from the tense build up to shock horror very quickly, the writing is still good, but it all becomes a bit rushed. The reveal is also a bit disappointing, although there is a bit of a fun tease there.

So while the book didn't quite attain the early promise it is far from a bad book, the writing is strong and it is a fun read, especially if you enjoy visceral horror.
on 16 October 2013
I loved the books leading up to this and probably would have given this 5 stars if I hadn't felt some of these others were even better. Jack Kilborn makes me laugh and grimace pretty much all the time. His books mirror the really good horror films where loads of hideous stuff happens, but the people you want to pull through do so.
on 20 May 2013
If you've read the previous novels containing the characters in this story you'll probably find it an okay read but I found it a bit lacking in character development and wished I knew a bit more about the character from Origin, one of the novels I hadn't read. I imagine it would be worse for people who hadn't read the other books.

It is pretty fast paced and enjoyable other than that but I also found it a bit short for the amount of main characters in the book. Sometimes it seemed a little jumbled and the bad guys could have used more of a back story too.

Over all this book was okay but not up to his usual standard.
Phew, I'm exhausted from sitting on the edge of my seat and following this harrowing tale - brilliant.

Fabulous writing of a story of terror, where the characters were both believable and realistic, which brought alive the very real fear that can haunt us all.

I've never read anything by this author before, and despite not knowing the back stories of the characters, there was enough detail so that from the first I was invested in their lives.

An excellent read, if you like the psychological stance of horror, where conquering 'fear' is explored, but be warned, there is blood!

Highly recommended.