4.0 out of 5 stars better than we had any right to expect
Published 21 months ago by freewheeling frankie

2.0 out of 5 stars Dave just ain't hungry any more
I've listened to this album a few times now, and given it every chance to grow on me, but all the positive reviews put me in mind of the emperor's new clothes. It's as though people are either afraid or too pretentious to admit that the album is a flop.
David Bowie seems to have nothing left to say, and the music's boring.
It's like he's written a few poems to...
Published 20 months ago by Only My Opinion

4.0 out of 5 stars better than we had any right to expect, 15 Mar 2013
freewheeling frankie (north London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Next Day (Audio CD)
Well I'll admit, the genius marketing scam of issuing "Where Are We Now?" out of the blue with no warning at all certainly worked on me. I've got Bowie's last few albums, and they all have their moments, but I didn't buy any of them when they came out and perhaps partly because of that, I've never made the effort to really get to know them. I was mostly content to listen to his golden decade of albums from The Man Who Sold The World to Scary Monsters. But the cleverly orchestrated comeback got my full attention for the first time in decades so I had to hear this a.s.a.p.

So I've fallen for the hype, how am I feeling now that I've listened to the thing a few times?

Well, not conned, that's for sure. It's not particularly strong on melody - though melodically it certainly sounds like a Bowie record and it's far from tuneless. But it's very strong on both arrangements and lyrics - the latter in my experience being the first faculty ageing rock stars tend to lose. Even the less interesting songs, and there are two or three that let the side down a bit, make an interesting noise. And there's a pretty wide variety of styles, though there's little here that wouldn't have fitted in pretty well on Lodger, for instance, though parts of it are a lot rockier than most of that album.

I can't think of another rock artist who's come up with work of this quality at such an advanced age - by any standards this is a very good album - the songs are interesting, powerful, some of the lyrics are quite disturbing, nearly all of them are thought-provoking at least; the playing and arrangements are superb, Bowie's vocals are in good shape. In short I'd say that, while it shouldn't be compared to his 70s heyday it's a far better album than we had any right to expect from someone nearly 50 years into their recording career. He's certainly not just resting on his laurels - he sounds HUNGRIER than he has for a long time. I would also strongly encourage anyone buying the album to buy the deluxe version - the three bonus songs (one of which is an instrumental on which Bowie plays everything except drums) are not the weakest here by any means.

5.0 out of 5 stars Always be Open Minded to Anything New by Bowie, 24 May 2014
This review is from: The Next Day (Audio CD)
That's the way to enjoy Bowies back catalogue. Don't expect another Aladdin Sane, Hunky Dory, Heroes, or Lets Dance, he's done those already and it is common knowledge that Bowie is not one for staying around a musical style for to long. Unfortunately, it is also common knowledge that most people can't see past his 70's work.

From reading some of the negative reviews for The Next Day, some of these people sound like they haven't bought a Bowie album, or listened to anything by him, since at least 1971 and seem totally surprised and disgruntled that TND sounds nothing like Space Oddity or Young Americans. Where have these people been all these decades?

The only thing you should expect from any "new" Bowie recording is the unexpected. That's what I like about him. Try and move away from comparing everything to Ziggy, The Thin White Duke and so on. Just clear your mind and say I don't know what to expect from this, and play it a few times and most importantly GIVE IT A CHANCE as Bowies records always seem to take a while to get your head around. Having expectations based on any of his previous work is already damaging your chances of enjoying anything fresh.

When you listen to TND for the first time have no preconceptions and go with it. It's a fine album BTW but, it's not mainstream. I listened to it every week for around 9 months, and it's very rare that I get the urge to keep playing an album for so long, but it just got better with every play. Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent new album, 11 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Next Day (Audio CD)
Having read a couple of the lower score reviews on here by people who have perhaps naively purchased this album expecting Bowie to be reincarnating Ziggy Stardust, I have felt compelled to point out to anyone who has their doubts about this one, should dispel these straight away. An absolutely terrific body of work, which deserves to judged on its own merits, rather than constantly refering back to albums Bowie made some 40 years ago. People have been saying this album mirrors much of his past work, and whilst there are ofcourse some echoes of this, I personally cannot think of any of his albums, which are quite like this one.

The true strength in this album for me, is the pure variety. An interesting placing and arranging of songs and styles contrasting with one another, providing a very fulfilling listen. That said there certainly are some outstanding songs within this album. The opening title track being one of the most punchy, intentive and driving rock songs to open any of his albums; this followed up with the funk guitar 'Dirty boys'. 'Love is lost', an excellent keyboard led piece and 'I'd rather be high' for me also amongst the highlights. In terms of creativity and variation in an album, this one ranks very high, indeed it could be the most creative album in his catalogue to date.

Throughout this year this album has been played inumerable times, and now just hoping that there will be more albums of simillar excellent quality to this.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good Bowie album, 2 Mar 2013
Sid Nuncius (London) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Next Day (Audio CD)
This is a very good David Bowie album, in my view. It's a great relief to say it, because when some of the gods of my youth have returned in...well...late middle age after a long absence the results have not always been very good, to say the least. Here, Bowie shows that he is still a major songwriting and performing talent and that he still has a genuine edge.

We have had a little time now to digest the track Where Are We Now? and to assess its true merit now that the "Blimey!" factor following its surprise release has worn off a bit. I still think that it's a very good song indeed. I did worry that some of the fragile, almost-out-of-tune vocal wasn't a deliberate effect but the voice of a man who can't quite sing as he used to, but - thank heavens - I was quite wrong. It is followed on the album by Valentine's Day, a track which wouldn't have been out of place on Aladdin Sane and which Bowie sings superbly, and there's plenty of other evidence here that he's still got it.

The songs seem to me to be vintage Bowie. There is the full gamut from singable, rocky tunes like Valentine's Day, through lovely tender songs like Where Are We Now? to the almost tuneless and weird-rhythmed If You Can See Me, with plenty in between. He certainly hasn't settled into a comfortable rut in middle age - If You Can See Me has joined my list of Almost Unlistenable Bowie Tracks and I'm delighted to see that he is still prepared to challenge and unsettle his audience even if personally I don't like the result.

The lyrics, of course, are complex, allusive and often elusive. As always, you can try to analyse what they "really" mean, but I've never found that a very productive way of approaching Bowie because I suspect that, as many poets have, he often puts together words for their sound or effect without them having any "true meaning." I love his lyrics and I often just enjoy the evocative sound of phrases like this in Dirty Boys: "When the sun goes down/And the die is cast..." and let my imagination do the rest. Similarly, in The Stars, we get things like, "Here they are upon the stairs/Sexless and unaroused..." which makes little literal sense in the context but it's an amazingly arresting lyric which sparks off all sorts of mental images and thoughts - which is what good lyrics should do.

I really like this album. The production is excellent; it is varied and sensitive and shows every song off at its best. It will take a while before it is clear whether or not it is a true Bowie classic. My sense is that it's probably not quite a classic, but it's a very good album indeed and warmly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars No classic, but wholly satisfying!!, 25 Mar 2013
Gordon C. Tait (OSNABRUCK, OSNABRUCK Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Next Day (Audio CD)
I'm writing this as I mould to the grooves of this album. and while it doesn't strike me as a classic, I find myself unable to dislike anything Bowie does, because, well, it's Bowie and there is no other artist like him.
I agree with other reviews that it is much like "Hours" and "Heathen", both worthy albums. And I'm reminded that I hated the "Outside" album back in the mid-90's on the first listen, now it's one of my favourites. So this effort will no doubt follow the same path.

For now, I'm just grateful that we can still enjoy new music from the greats of "that" generation where music was crafted the ole fashioned way by artists that were truly gifted and creative and made their own rules in life. Afterall, when these guys go, what are we left with?

5.0 out of 5 stars Bowie is a genius!, 4 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Next Day [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Lyrically and musically excellent! Bowie is a genius! Thought provoking, this album is up there with his best from thirty years ago!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Age is no barrier, 25 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Next Day (MP3 Download)
What can I say? Still great, still amazing still producing original music. There never has been and never will be anyone else like Mr Jones (and his son is proving to be an incredible film maker)!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 3 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Next Day [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Bought it for a friends birthday didn't realise it came with the CD version as well. Great price. Well packaged!!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW !!!, 12 April 2013
Mr. P. Williams (MERTHYR TYDFIL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Next Day (Audio CD)
I swear this man is a god !!!! stunning album , reminiscent of scary monsters mixed with a new edge , love love love it

5.0 out of 5 stars Still has it, 12 April 2013
This review is from: The Next Day (Audio CD)
Certainly the best Bowie for years: as always listen to it a couple of times before judgment, however ther are a couple of standouts that hit the spot right away.

The Next Day