5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and a joy to use
Published 13 months ago by Johnny Bravo

The Sony ICD-PX333 is a basic Dictaphone with a reasonable mono microphone and a minuscule speaker. It is a great improvement on their earlier cassette based recorders of thirty years ago, but does not compare well with the more ergonomic competition from the likes of Olympus or Philips.

It does not come with earpieces or external microphones or micro-SDHC...
Published 11 months ago by R. F. Stevens

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and a joy to use, 1 Aug 2013
This review is from: Sony ICDPX333.CE7 4GB PX Series MP3 Digital Voice IC Recorder (Office Product)
For such a small device and a reasonable price this little SONY Dictation unit certainly delivers in quality and features. I was a little worried at first as taking it out of the box the unit is very light weight, a little more substantial when the batteries are in. In use I found it intuitive to use and ergonomically designed with good sized buttons, if you do come undone there is no shortage of paper instructions in almost every language you can think of. This unit comes complete with a 4GB memory which provides up to 1073 hours recoding with a 96 hour battery life. If all that recording isn't enough for you there is a micro SD slot to add more memory or you can quite simply connect to your PC with the USB cable provided and download all your recordings (I found this simple to do on my windows 8 laptop).

The playback of recordings is crystal clear through the built in speaker or just as good if you plug in some headphones. The noise cut feature does work and it does cut out a lot of the background noise.

Not listed on the Amazon page but I did find it really useful the amount of built in track editing features that allow you to organise, edit the length of a recording to just the bit you need, folder away.....etc.

Track Mark - Yes
Erase - Yes
Protect - Yes
Divide - Yes
Move File - Yes
File Copy - Yes

A product I would have no hesitation in recommending.

5.0 out of 5 stars well worth the money, 13 Nov 2013
i purchased this along with the telephone recording hardware due to having some problems with Local Authority, I got fedup with them stating that they refuted saying something. now this has proved its worth in the fact that several of their employees called me a liar and I was able to prove to their superiors exactly what they had told me.
so in that aspect it was well worth the money. it has worked so well that any calls I need to make apart from personal calls are now routinely recorded so negating the problems of denial from the other partys side.

this machine records clearly and there is ample space on the memory to record dozens of calls, along with the pc software which is very easy to use. the setup of the recorder is such that it is easily usable within a few minutes of getting it.

If like me you are having problems with people denying what they say to you, I recommend getting this as it certainly puts those people in their place when you play the conversation back to their bosses.

as for the Law regarding recording of calls, I did check and it appears that you do not need to disclose the fact that you are recording if the call is on your home phone and the recording is for your personal use.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK Mono voice recorder, with lots of features, but poor ergonomics., 3 Oct 2013
R. F. Stevens "richard23491" (Ickenham UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

It does not come with earpieces or external microphones or micro-SDHC chip, all of which can be added to the sockets on the machine, but none of which are needed for basic operation. It is supplied with a pair of AAA Alkaline batteries, a 60cm USB A to Mini-B lead, and a Quick-Start guide (many separate sheets, each side of which is in a different language).

Playback.
The recorder plays back stereo from pre-recorded MP3 files transferred from the computer, using either the internal mono speaker, or via the 3.5mm stereo mini-jack through external speakers or headphones. It does not recognise WMA files. The mini-jack output level is very low, especially when comparing the same files played on other recorders and PCs etc, and when I plugged in my Logitech X-230 speakers both the recorder and the amplifier needed to be set to full volume just to be able to hear at a moderate sound level. Headphones are also too quiet and my very efficient old ear-buds only just cope.

Recording.
Having a single internal microphone it can only record from that in mono, and only in MP3. Different data rates are available, but most of the time the higher rates such as 128kb/s are best for clearer speech and better separation from the background noise. The noise cut works as expected, but only has a limited adjustment range; `Maximum', `Medium', Off. Most of the time I found Off gave the best results. The `Scene' option allows for different contexts and therefore different sensitivity, sound and quality profiles; I found `Meeting' was most useful. Fortunately the 3.5mm stereo mini-jack socket for an external microphone is designed to power an electret type, if there is a requirement for stereo or higher quality or more convenient placement; I borrowed an ECM719 electret stereo-pair microphone to try and it worked well.

Memory.
The internal storage is actually about 3.5GB, some of the "4GB" is taken up with the software and help files intended to be copied to a PC, and erasing those will free up another 130MB. But the more practical solution for lots of space is to use a micro-SDHC chip; I borrowed an 8GB one and noticed it could go in either way up, but only worked one way round, ie inverted on this box.

USB.
The USB socket is inverted relative to the logo mark (the USB standard indicates that the logo on the box above the socket should match the embossed logo on the upper surface of the plug, and both should be readable when the lead is plugged-in). The PC sees it as just another removable disc called 'IC RECORDER' with 5 sub-folders in the VOICE top-level folder. Using the PC I was able to add more folders and rename the existing ones and move files around etc, all in the normal way.

Menu.
The menu functions are comprehensive if you have no other more convenient means of accessing the files, but to do anything useful several menu steps are required, and most of us will not bother messing about, preferring to take the added micro-SDHC chip out of the recorder and drop it into the computer. I prefer to keep my source files as pristine untouched originals and not take a chance on losing a vital snippet by editing them, and work on copies instead, which is much easier once the files have been transferred from the chip to the computer.

Batteries.
The pair of AAA batteries can be Alkaline or NiMH, but if using the rechargeable cells then they require an external charger. The recorder does not recharge them from the USB. Battery life is excellent for just recording and/or listening on ear-buds, but when the loudspeaker is used it can drop away much more quickly.

Alternatives.
I have been using assorted Olympus (and sometimes Philips) voice recorders for the last decade, and they are all more ergonomic to operate, and are all Stereo, and all can play WMA or MP3, and apart from the LS-14 all were much slimmer and lighter. My favourite for simplicity and intuitive ergonomics combined with good quality audio as a Dictaphone/Earplayer is a trusty old WS331M (still used almost every day), the later ones such as the excellent WS750M with even better microphones are also beginning to gain too many menu features. The more expensive ones can record in much higher quality and I now am using the LS-14 with an external mixer and microphones etc in place of a DAT machine.

Verdict.
The PX333 is a good basic Dictaphone, but in use it compares poorly with my ancient WS331M. Choose a Philips or Olympus equivalent to the PX333 if you need to use something slimmer and lighter or with more ergonomic or advanced facilities.

5.0 out of 5 stars very happy good kit, 12 Nov 2013
My first recorder purchased for 1:1 therapy sessions. Great quality audio when played back. Simple easy to use very happy

5.0 out of 5 stars great little machine, 23 Feb 2014
I use this at night, I keep it by the bed so if I can't sleep I plug in my pillow speaker and listen to music. It is great as if I am awake I can press the button to go on to the next track. when I nod off, it turns itself off in 10 mins or so if I do not press the button. I would not be without it

5.0 out of 5 stars handy easy to use, 7 Nov 2013
Mr X (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
works perfectly, picks up my voice i use this with dragon dictate to get my words quickly on to screen, long battery life and just very simple to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does everything I need, 6 Jan 2014
This is a perfect recorder for what I need - something to record lectures on, then transfer the files onto my computer to listen to and edit as I need to. I'm so impressed that everything came in a little box, quickly, and that the quality of sound is so good for what is a very reasonable price.

4.0 out of 5 stars No Linux worries., 13 Nov 2013
J. Scott "JS" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've had this little gizmo for about a month now, and I have no complaints about it at all.

One of the nice surprises was that computer connectivity wasn't only hassle-free if you are a Windows/Mac user. On my Linux computers I've had no problems whatsoever.

If all you want to do is to record and playback stuff, the controls really couldn't be easier. The machine does offer some slightly more advanced editing facilities, but in practice I've found this a bit like the photo-editing software you find on mobile phones - it's fiddly, and really, it's a lot less hassle just to download your files to a computer and do the editing with some proper software.

Basically, if you're looking for a recorder in this price range, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Digtal Voice recorder, 29 April 2014
I bought this with my fingers crossed, as i wanted it to help learn music for the male voice choir I belong to. It surpassed my expectations, although I have had a bit of a struggle with playing it back through the computer, although when I managed it, the reproduction is better than i could have hoped for.
Nice little piece of equipment and well worth the money.
G Faulkner

4.0 out of 5 stars A smashing little gadget, 20 Nov 2013
Bantam Dave (Bradford, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I first bought a dictaphone about fifteen years ago. In those days I used to do a lot of travelling around the UK visiting pubs and inns but I always felt a little nervous when writing my notes (this dates back to the day that a local saw me scribbling in a notepad in a backstreet dive in Liverpool - he seemed convinced that I was up to no good and threatened to beat me up once I went outside) so I thought a safer option would be to dictate my comments and transcribe them when I got home. Unfortunately the dictaphone I used was useless; the recordings were often virtually inaudible and it went through batteries at an alarming rate. Because if this I wasn't convinced that I would get any use out of this Sony Digital Voice Recorder. I had a vague intention to maybe put it aside for my daughter to use at school once she gets older, but once I unpacked it and tried it out I was so impressed that those thoughts soon disappeared. Unlike my previous dictaphone this is a smashing little gadget, simple to use and capable of producing recordings of an outstandingly high quality. Rather that not get any use out of it I have actually found that I use it quite regularly; it is small and sleek which means that I can carry it around in my inside coat pocket and I have even used it to record programmes direct from the radio.

Obviously I do not use my Voice Recorder for purposes other than purely casual, but I would think that it would be entirely suitable for more formal, professional use.