5.0 out of 5 stars Looks Smart. Is Smart!
Very well built. Superb picture quality. Dedicated netflix button on remote! Connects flawlessly to my router (using TP Link).

Published 15 months ago by T. C. Osborne

3.0 out of 5 stars Dont buy it for network features
Pros
Good price
Faster than generation 1 players to load disks
As a basic Bluray/DVD player it does the job very well and for these features alone worth 4 stars

Cons
It doesn't work for the network features that I've tied, hence minus a star.
Published 14 months ago by alan_m

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks Smart. Is Smart!, 3 Jun 2013
T. C. Osborne (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Panasonic DMP-BD79EB-K Smart Network 2D Blu-ray Player (Electronics)

I bought a Samsung F5000 non-Smart TV and wanted a good blu ray smart player with netflix. There are many other players out there which have far more apps but most of them are unnecessary in my opinion. I was delighted to find that the remote has its very own Netflix button! Very cool.

I had bought a Samsung F5100 previously but had to return it because it didn't have netflix. The build quality of the Panasonic is much better. For instance, the disc tray on the Samsung was very flimsy. This Panasonic is quite robust. The remote is also of much better quality than Samsung's. You sometimes get the feeling with Samsung that they try and cut corners with the quality of their manufacturing but with Panasonic everything is re-assuringly well made.

The picture quality is fab. It has a 24p option which provides a smoother and more cinematic film experience. It also has its own picture pre-sets such as normal, soft and fine so its a good way of fine tuning the settings on your TV. The user setting allows you to adjust the brightness, contrast, sharpness and colour.

The user interface or 'hub' might not be as snazzy as Samsung's or have as many apps but it looks classy, elegant and works well.

The design is slightly quirky but discreet. I like the way the logo is on the top of the player where you can't see it! The compact size (360mm wide) also means I can place it directly on top of my BT VIsion box.

Again, the materials used are of good quality and this is evident even when looking at the box from the other side of the room. Definitely is a smart machine!

Its has USB ports at the front which might get used at some point.

Finally, the price is very good when you consider how much it actually does.

WARNING!!! Initially when I set up the player and turned it on it caused severe interference to the signal coming from the BT VIsion box. This was not a fault of the player but the poor quality tv aerial cables I had connected which didn't have proper insulating properties. I changed them round for better ones (with thicker wires) and now there is no disruption at all.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dont buy it for network features, 18 July 2013
Pros
Good price
Faster than generation 1 players to load disks

Cons
It doesn't work for the network features that I've tied, hence minus a star.
A software upgrade was successfully performed via a wired connection to my router indicating at least that the box can communicate with the rest of the world
It loads the BBC Iplayer menu and preview images but fails to play ALL content.
The Youtube implementation on this box is not intuitive and prone to constant lock ups.

To put this functionality into context. My Internet connection allows flawless Iplayer and Youtube operation on two other boxes I have connected to the same router.

A small gripe. Why do manufactures think that putting light grey text on a slightly darker grey background is a good idea.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 30 Aug 2013
I've left it a while to write this review as too many of our DVD players have broken down within a month of purchase. This one has been brilliant. Reliable, easy to use and great value for money. Would recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Blu Ray Player., 2 Feb 2014
Dean (Birmingham, U.K.) - See all my reviews
My first Blu Ray player and an excellent one at that. I ordered it on the 17th of January and it arrived on the 21th so came well within the estimated delivery date. HD picture is flawless and upscales standard definition dvd's very well.
Just to let you previous good reviewers, (and future buyer's of this blu ray player) know that despite many here saying you can't access internet features on it like BBC iplayer,You Tube ect wirelessly you can't, unless you buy an expensive dongal such as the one Amazon recommends at £40 up which isn't cheap but there is a much cheaper way to get around this problem and that's to use/buy a standard ethernet cable to make a wired internet connection which you can buy pretty cheaply from Amazon or anywhere that sells good audio/video cables ect like Maplin's. I myself already had a spare ethernet cable which was not being used so I gave it ago and can now acess the internet. All you do is simply connect one end of your ethernet cable to the back of your blu ray player in the LAN socket and the other end into your broadband router into one of the four ethernet or wired network sockets on the back of your router and then configure it within the 'Easy Network Settings' screen and set up a wired connection on your blu ray player it should not be to difficult to do and is fairly staight forward but if you still have problems then refer to the user manual. I did just this with my spare ethernet cable and are now able to watch programs on the BBC iplayer as well as videos in Youtube and the picture and sound quality is excellent with a wired connection and no problems at all such as re-buffering ect. So all in all a brilliant piece of kit all round!.

5.0 out of 5 stars Panasupersonic, 22 May 2013
Just arrived unpacked and surprised how compact this unit is. Set up was a doddle so simple. Played Blue-ray disc with no problems actually read disc faster than the cinema system. The sound and picture excellent. same with standard format DVD's.
Looking forward to many hours of viewing.

5.0 out of 5 stars EASY PEASY, 13 Aug 2013
L. SYKES - See all my reviews
A smart looking piece of equipment. Delivered promptly, easy to use a good price. I am content and would recommend this item to others.

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy, 30 Dec 2013
This was a much cheaper product than my other one and up to now has worked very well and is also easier to set up and play discs

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 26 Sep 2013
The Blu-ray player makes all the difference when playing your DVD's providing the DVD is of reasonable quality to start with. Compact and easy to operate.

5.0 out of 5 stars My first Blu-ray player., 15 Sep 2013
What an eye opener. A superb item that makes my original CD player look very large and cumbersome. HD 1080 performance is a superb system that enables so much visual pleasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good product, 17 Mar 2014
I'm very pleased with my new DVD player, my only problem is that it didn't come with a wireless dongle/device and I have a wire running from my modem to the DVD player on the other side of my room. I would recommend it to other people, it's so compact and much more attractive than my old one